PDA

View Full Version : Dolphins' defense producing more sacks this season

Fins4Life
10-01-2008, 05:55 PM
Dolphins' defense producing more sacks this season

By EDGAR THOMPSON

Palm Beach Post Staff Writer

Tuesday, September 30, 2008

DAVIE Most of the time on Sundays, rookie defensive end Kendall Langford is lost in the chaos on the line of scrimmage.

But he knows he'll get his moment if he can get to the quarterback.

"That's your glory - sacks," Langford said. "That's what you live for as a defensive player."

Three games into his NFL career, Langford has been living large, coming up with sacks in his first two games - the first Miami rookie to do so since sacks became an official statistic in 1982.

Because of young players such as Langford and veterans such as linebacker Joey Porter, the pass rush is much improved. Miami heads into Sunday's visit from San Diego with nine sacks, tied for sixth in the NFL with an average of three a game.

When the Dolphins traded their all-time sacks leader, Jason Taylor, to Washington in July, the pass rush seemed to leave with him. But in the 3-4 defensive scheme of coordinator Paul Pasqualoni, the question isn't who's going to pressure the quarterback, but who isn't.

"You don't know where the pressure is coming from," cornerback Andre Goodman said. "If you'd ever been in our meeting room, you'd know why. They're committed to rushing the passer, and they work it.

"They're nowhere near to where we're going to be."

Three of the five players with a sack are in their first season with the Dolphins - Langford, rookie end Phillip Merling and free agent pickup Randy Starks. Linebacker Matt Roth also has one.

Porter, 31, leads the way with four sacks and is coming off his first three-sack day since 2005.

"I ain't going to get fooled by having one good game, like you all are really with me," Porter, who went six games without a sack to open last season, told the media this week. "I don't believe that at all. I have to focus on consistency."

With as many as nine solid pass rushers in the mix, a lot of Dolphins are eager to make their mark, beginning with outside linebacker Charlie Anderson.

Coaches had hoped that Anderson, who signed as a free agent in March, would provide Taylor-like speed off the edge. But Anderson injured a hamstring Aug. 9 and fell behind.

"I want to get in on the party, the sack party, too," he said. "It'll come. Just keep working hard and it'll come."

Linebacker Channing Crowder credits Pasqualoni's "amazing packages" for providing constant pressure with unusual personnel groupings and blitzes from all angles.

"He'll have seven defensive backs on the field on one play and two on the next play," Crowder said.

The system has its risks, too. In the first two weeks, the Dolphins were burned for big plays, including three of 55 yards or longer.

Each time, communication breakdowns in the secondary were blamed, leading coaches to replace free safety Chris Crocker with Renaldo Hill at New England.

With better secondary play, the pass rush came up with four sacks and hit the quarterback seven more times during the 38-13 win against the Patriots. Now, Miami looks to turn in the same suffocating effort against one of the most talented offenses in the NFL.

Chargers quarterback Philip Rivers and running back LaDanian Tomlinson are much bigger challenges than New England's Matt Cassel and Sammy Morris, who started against Miami because of key injuries.

The Chargers also have All-Pro tight end Antonio Gates, former Dolphins wideout Chris Chambers and third-down back and return man Darren Sproles, who has a 66-yard TD catch and averages 5.3 yards a carry.

"We have our hands full with this team," Hill said. "Even the fullback (Mike Tolbert) is explosive getting out in the flat and up the field."

Everything begins with Tomlinson, the 2006 NFL MVP who has been slowed by turf toe this season. But he looked like his old self Sunday in Oakland, running for 106 yards, including a 41-touchdown run that capped a 25-point fourth quarter for the Chargers.

"You've got to stop the run because if they can run the ball down your throat they'll do it," Crowder said.

If the Dolphins can slow Tomlinson, Pasqualoni will be able to unleash his pass rushers on Rivers, who is second to Brett Favre with 10 touchdown passes this season.

Rivers, known for his quick release, has been sacked only six times in four games, but went down four times against the Raiders.

"He does a really good job," Hill said. "He makes his read and always know where his outlets are. When he's under pressure, he's getting the ball outof his hand and not taking too many sacks."

Langford, 23, said the Dolphins should be able to put pressure on anyone.

"We have a lot of guys who can get after the quarterback, a lot of relentless guys," he said. "The sky's the limit."

theshiverman
10-01-2008, 06:31 PM
Dolphins' defense producing more sacks this season

By EDGAR THOMPSON

Palm Beach Post Staff Writer

Tuesday, September 30, 2008

DAVIE Most of the time on Sundays, rookie defensive end Kendall Langford is lost in the chaos on the line of scrimmage.

But he knows he'll get his moment if he can get to the quarterback.

"That's your glory - sacks," Langford said. "That's what you live for as a defensive player."

Three games into his NFL career, Langford has been living large, coming up with sacks in his first two games - the first Miami rookie to do so since sacks became an official statistic in 1982.

Because of young players such as Langford and veterans such as linebacker Joey Porter, the pass rush is much improved. Miami heads into Sunday's visit from San Diego with nine sacks, tied for sixth in the NFL with an average of three a game.

When the Dolphins traded their all-time sacks leader, Jason Taylor, to Washington in July, the pass rush seemed to leave with him. But in the 3-4 defensive scheme of coordinator Paul Pasqualoni, the question isn't who's going to pressure the quarterback, but who isn't.

"You don't know where the pressure is coming from," cornerback Andre Goodman said. "If you'd ever been in our meeting room, you'd know why. They're committed to rushing the passer, and they work it.

"They're nowhere near to where we're going to be."

Three of the five players with a sack are in their first season with the Dolphins - Langford, rookie end Phillip Merling and free agent pickup Randy Starks. Linebacker Matt Roth also has one.

Porter, 31, leads the way with four sacks and is coming off his first three-sack day since 2005.

"I ain't going to get fooled by having one good game, like you all are really with me," Porter, who went six games without a sack to open last season, told the media this week. "I don't believe that at all. I have to focus on consistency."

With as many as nine solid pass rushers in the mix, a lot of Dolphins are eager to make their mark, beginning with outside linebacker Charlie Anderson.

Coaches had hoped that Anderson, who signed as a free agent in March, would provide Taylor-like speed off the edge. But Anderson injured a hamstring Aug. 9 and fell behind.

"I want to get in on the party, the sack party, too," he said. "It'll come. Just keep working hard and it'll come."

Linebacker Channing Crowder credits Pasqualoni's "amazing packages" for providing constant pressure with unusual personnel groupings and blitzes from all angles.

"He'll have seven defensive backs on the field on one play and two on the next play," Crowder said.

The system has its risks, too. In the first two weeks, the Dolphins were burned for big plays, including three of 55 yards or longer.

Each time, communication breakdowns in the secondary were blamed, leading coaches to replace free safety Chris Crocker with Renaldo Hill at New England.

With better secondary play, the pass rush came up with four sacks and hit the quarterback seven more times during the 38-13 win against the Patriots. Now, Miami looks to turn in the same suffocating effort against one of the most talented offenses in the NFL.

Chargers quarterback Philip Rivers and running back LaDanian Tomlinson are much bigger challenges than New England's Matt Cassel and Sammy Morris, who started against Miami because of key injuries.

The Chargers also have All-Pro tight end Antonio Gates, former Dolphins wideout Chris Chambers and third-down back and return man Darren Sproles, who has a 66-yard TD catch and averages 5.3 yards a carry.

"We have our hands full with this team," Hill said. "Even the fullback (Mike Tolbert) is explosive getting out in the flat and up the field."

Everything begins with Tomlinson, the 2006 NFL MVP who has been slowed by turf toe this season. But he looked like his old self Sunday in Oakland, running for 106 yards, including a 41-touchdown run that capped a 25-point fourth quarter for the Chargers.

"You've got to stop the run because if they can run the ball down your throat they'll do it," Crowder said.

If the Dolphins can slow Tomlinson, Pasqualoni will be able to unleash his pass rushers on Rivers, who is second to Brett Favre with 10 touchdown passes this season.

Rivers, known for his quick release, has been sacked only six times in four games, but went down four times against the Raiders.

"He does a really good job," Hill said. "He makes his read and always know where his outlets are. When he's under pressure, he's getting the ball outof his hand and not taking too many sacks."

Langford, 23, said the Dolphins should be able to put pressure on anyone.

"We have a lot of guys who can get after the quarterback, a lot of relentless guys," he said. "The sky's the limit."

Lol, Bill is there, of course the Phins are better, thats why they pay him the big bucks, dude can turn **** into gold, thats the best hire Miami has made since Don Shula, i wouldnt expect super bowl this year, but id expect at least 500. or better

Fins4Life
10-01-2008, 07:08 PM
Lol, Bill is there, of course the Phins are better, thats why they pay him the big bucks, dude can turn **** into gold, thats the best hire Miami has made since Don Shula, i wouldnt expect super bowl this year, but id expect at least 500. or better

I would expect 6-10 maybe 7-9...this year, but hey coming off 1-15 nightmare I will take that anyday.

DawgFanatic
10-01-2008, 07:13 PM
I wish the browns could get more sacks :hammer:

Fins4Life
10-01-2008, 07:15 PM
I wish the browns could get more sacks :hammer:

You guys will come around. Congrats on your first win of the season. Im glad you beat the Bengals because I cant stand Oucho Faggo

Chris Wade
10-04-2008, 03:07 PM
Why in the heck we can't hire a bright innovative DC is beyond me. Congrats on the NE win. My kid is jazzed. He's been a fin fan since he was 8 years old. He's 22 now.