PDA

View Full Version : Young and Leinart: busts?

10-08-2008, 10:25 PM
Call your shot now, look into that crystal ball. Some of the best-known QB busts to this point:

Ryan Leaf: has the dubious honor of "all-time biggest draft bust", failing to meet anything that was anticipated for him coming out of college. An all-time Charger if there ever was one.

Todd Marinovich: a bizarre upbringing, a few moments of collegiate greatness, and addiction are basically Marinovich's story. His numbers at USC should have been an indication that he wasn't all that, but people thought he could be great...

Andre Ware: the 1989 (I think) Heisman Trophy winner set or shattered numerous NCAA passing records, then never made the transition in the NFL.

Fast-forward to today, the year 2008:

Vince Young: hugely touted coming off a heroic performance in the national championship game, Young has been less than impressive in most of his pro starts. Stories have emerged of his fragile emotional state in regards to the pressures of the NFL. Currently benchwarming as his replacement, a career mercenary QB, has taken his team on a four-game winning streak.

Matt Leinart: another supposed QB of destiny, Leinart has been clumsy on the field, and has also seen his job taken by a veteran--but not due to injury.

So what do you think? New inductees into the Busted QB Hall of Shame? Only time will tell, but you could look back and say "told ya so". I suppose the biggest difference between these two and the above three is that they (Young and Leinart) have already outlasted those guys, but it does appear that neither will live up to their hype...

CTM
10-08-2008, 10:33 PM
I think its still kinda early but they are definitely not headed in the right direction. I always thought Leinhart was overrated because I dont think he has exceptional arm strength. Young has a whole other set of issues. Who knows right now, I think of the 2 Leinhart has the better chance of turning it around because all he has to do is get game experience and learn his offence. Young has to shift his entire emotional well being which will take him a lot longer. Not saying it cant be done it might take time and the Titans might run out of patience.

Jay has really separated himself from them. I bet Arizona and Tennesse are kicking themselves right now seeing what Jay has done.

Ravage!!!
10-08-2008, 10:34 PM
I absolutely hate the word 'bust'....

But I never thought Young would be drafted in the first round of the NFL. Even after watching him win the National Championship, I thought "yeah, but he can't pass and everyone will see that he can't run around the NFL defenders like he did in the NCAA." Unbelievable that he was drafted as the first QB in that draft.

Believe it or not, Leinart is playing behind a damned good QB. I honestly dont' think Warner gets enough credit. But the guy just keeps proving that he can get it done, and done well.

I don't think these two meet the 'busts' of some of the CIncinatti choices at QB :laugh:

I think Leinart will still have several years in the NFL. I think he'll get his chance to start after Warner retires following this season, and will then float around the NFL as a back-up for a few more years. Young will get ONE more shot at the starter after this season, but may very well get beaten out again by Collins.... then he'll just drift off and never be heard from again.

Both already having bigger and better careers than Marinovich, Leaf, and Ware.

Fins4Life
10-08-2008, 11:22 PM
I would say Young first...not only does he struggle to pass the ball with any accuracy or consistency, but he has mental toughness issues and has lost the respect of his teammates for pulling himself out of the game when healthy.

I think Leinart deserves more time even though Warner is showing what can be done with that offense.

y2cragie
10-09-2008, 02:59 AM
Leinart should in time be fine, he's got a lot of potential, I just think he needs to grow up a little bit, take some time to learn and then he'll be alright as a starter. I think given a similar situation to Romo and he'll be up there with some other good starters.

Vince Young, Jeff Fisher didn't want him, and the front office sticks its nose where it didn't belong and cost the team a franchise QB in Cutler to take the glitzy option of a guy who couldn't hit a barn door at 5 yards. All because he could run ala Mike Vick, who oh yeah was never that good either. I like the Titans they are my second team, but the decision they made was beyond ridiculous. Especially as there was every opportunity even in passing on Cutler that they could have gotten Young in the 2nd round.

GridironChamp
10-09-2008, 12:47 PM
Leinert is 7-9 or 9-7 ( i cant remember ) as a starter for a very poor, up until
this year, Zona team. He has talent and potentiol, but as Ravage said he is
behind Warner who might be the most underrated QB right now.

I've said Vince Young would be a bust before he forward lateralled his way past
USC in the Championship game... so yeah i think he is.

gaberox
10-09-2008, 12:49 PM
I think Shanny should get some credit here.Lets not forget what an amazing qb coach he is.Im sure that has a good bit to do with Jays development.Even under Dan Reeves Elway would play much better when Shanny was just his qb coach before he became head coach.I have a feeling Young and Leinart would be doing better here in Denver.I still think Jay has the most potential overall but Mike could probably squeeze some real production from the other 2 as well.

Jay is more of the total package hes got the mobility the pocket presence and the ability to throw on the run.Young sucks from the pocket and Leinart doesnt have the strongest arm compared to Jay.I think Jay also has more fire and competitive spirit.We all know who was the most dedicated this last off season.

DiegoBRONCOFAN
10-09-2008, 01:03 PM
I think Shanny should get some credit here.Lets not forget what an amazing qb coach he is.Im sure that has a good bit to do with Jays development.Even under Dan Reeves Elway would play much better when Shanny was just his qb coach before he became head coach.I have a feeling Young and Leinart would be doing better here in Denver.I still think Jay has the most potential overall but Mike could probably squeeze some real production from the other 2 as well.

Jay is more of the total package hes got the mobility the pocket presence and the ability to throw on the run.Young sucks from the pocket and Leinart doesnt have the strongest arm compared to Jay.I think Jay also has more fire and competitive spirit.We all know who was the most dedicated this last off season.

This is what I was thinking. It's hard to imagine either of these players not having more success to date under the tutelage of Shanny. Youngs mental state is deffinately worth mentioning here. I can see Leinart being a solid QB some day, maybe in the mold of a Bernie Kosar or something.

But make no doubt about it, we got the best one out of the three! :rockon:

-Rod-
10-09-2008, 04:47 PM
The Titans should be worried about Vince Young. His passing skills are still raw in his 3rd year in the NFL and his mental strenght is frail.

Leinart does not have the starting job because Kurt Warner has played very, very well since last season, so it is not an easy task for him. But he is far from being a bust.

BroncoBJ4MVP!!!
10-09-2008, 07:23 PM
It feels amazing knowing that we got Cutler while all the other teams passed on him :laugh:
I'm glad were not stuck with VY or Leinart.
Funny how both of thier teams are in 1st place in thier division as well except thier not the starting QB.

But I think they both will be busts.
And Jay will be a Bust in Canton. :salute:

GridironChamp
10-10-2008, 08:21 AM
It feels amazing knowing that we got Cutler while all the other teams passed on him :laugh:
I'm glad were not stuck with VY or Leinart.
Funny how both of thier teams are in 1st place in thier division as well except thier not the starting QB.

But I think they both will be busts.
And Jay will be a Bust in Canton. :salute:

Not to say your wrong, but why?

I've not seen anything of Leinart to write him off as a bust. He lost his starting
job to Kurt Warner, who is still a top 5 QB when he has time to throw the ball.

Leinart hasnt shown anything to be as good as Cutler, but he hasnt done anything
to to imprint bust next to his name like VY does on a weekley basis.

Alcaeus15
10-10-2008, 08:22 AM
Have you noticed that the more prolific college atheletes have a tendancy to do not that great in the NFL? I know there's a lot of great college stars and great NFL stars, but it just seems like a recent trend...

Anyway I think it's a little bit too early to tell, but Young I don't think will ever be good. Leinart could be at least above the bust level but I dunno.

So far I think Jay Cutler is doing the best out of the 2006 QB draft class. Wouldn't you say so? ;)

ebsoria
10-10-2008, 08:49 AM
Young? Yeah... I'm ready to tag and bag him.

But Leinart? Not yet.... the word is out on him still and Ithink with the emergence of Zona this year on O and Warner talking retirement I feel that next year you'll see a different Matt then we're used to. I don't see the overwhelming stud of a qb, but more of a solid, reliable QB that quells any need at QB for that team for awhile.

Max Power
10-10-2008, 05:28 PM
I absolutely hate the word 'bust'....

I don't... it's such a versatile word.

Southstander
10-10-2008, 05:37 PM
Only if 22 is a bust in Black Jack is.:D

GridironChamp
10-10-2008, 08:31 PM
I don't... it's such a versatile word.

And if you add an "y" to the end, it opens ENDLESS oppurtunities.

Twizlers
10-13-2008, 03:03 PM
What about Colt Brennan? He made a RECORD for the most NCAA passing records shattered. But I realize this is about the 2006 draft.

Of course, being backup to Jason Campbell and Todd Collins makes it a bit tough for him to prove himself but still, I smell a great future in him the year he gets a chance to start.