PDA

View Full Version : Tony Gonzales on the trading block??? (Merged)

Overtime
10-11-2008, 07:42 PM
http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/11027466

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- Tony Gonzalez, the most productive tight end in NFL history, will be traded to a contender if the Kansas City Chiefs get the right price.

Three people familiar with the situation told the Associated Press on condition of anonymity that the nine-time Pro Bowl player could be dealt before the Tuesday trade deadline. The three didn't want to be identified because a deal hasn't been struck.

Gonzalez, who holds the NFL tight end record for receptions, touchdown catches and yards receiving, is active in civic and charitable affairs and enjoys great popularity in Kansas City. He has always said he would like to end his career with the Chiefs, who drafted him in the first round out of California in 1997.

But the Chiefs (1-4) are rebuilding from the bottom up and not likely to contend for the Super Bowl any time soon. In spite of all his personal accomplishments, Gonzalez, 32, has never even won a postseason game.

He would like an opportunity to play in a Super Bowl and the rebuilding Chiefs would like to acquire extra draft picks.

Two people involved in the situation said there had been discussion with the New York Giants, but that talks had not been productive.

The Giants traded tight end Jeremy Shockey to New Orleans last summer for Nos. 2 and 5 drafts pick in 2009. Shockey's replacement, Kevin Boss, has been a disappointment even though the defending Super Bowl champs are undefeated.

Chiefs general manager Carl Peterson is a notoriously tough negotiator and would probably demand at least a second-round pick for the man many Chiefs fans believe is the greatest offensive player in team history.
AP NEWS
The Associated Press News Service

Copyright 2007-2008, The Associated Press, All Rights Reserved

omahaBroncoFan
10-11-2008, 08:22 PM
yeah thats been out for a week or so.

Here's the shocker though, all they are asking for right now is a 3rd rounder??:
http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/10/11/chiefs-want-a-third-rounder-for-gonzalez/

PFT makes it sounds like he's dirt cheap too, but I don't think so, he has some 17mill in guarantees which I assume very little's been paid already.

Giants are a very likely team, I'd think the Chiefs would at least ask for a 2nd round from them though.

Ravage!!!
10-11-2008, 08:25 PM
Last week Tony G said (to the fans) that he wanted to end his career with the Chiefs. This was after the FIRST comment he made that he wouldn't mind being traded to a contender.

Today it was reported that Tony had asked again to the possibility of him being traded away. So its new "news" of this report.

Fins4Life
10-11-2008, 08:38 PM
Last week Tony G said (to the fans) that he wanted to end his career with the Chiefs. This was after the FIRST comment he made that he wouldn't mind being traded to a contender.

Today it was reported that Tony had asked again to the possibility of him being traded away. So its new "news" of this report.

Since your a pick em champ tell me who Wins Miami or Houston?

Ravage!!!
10-11-2008, 08:42 PM
Since your a pick em champ tell me who Wins Miami or Houston?

Heh.. I picked Miami! I think Miami is on a roll, and they are going to ride that. Their defense is STOUT, and Brown is a man-child.

The Houston Texans can't figure out what they are and who they are.

BarkdogRX7
10-11-2008, 08:44 PM
I could see the giants adding em, but they are a year too late for TG to get a ring. I dunno if Arizona has the picks but that would be a good fit for him too, I also see Tampa Bay as well, I dunno, he is classy tho, I hope he goes somewhere where he at least can look fwd to 16 games a year lol

Ravage!!!
10-11-2008, 08:46 PM
I could see the giants adding em, but they are a year too late for TG to get a ring. I dunno if Arizona has the picks but that would be a good fit for him too, I also see Tampa Bay as well, I dunno, he is classy tho, I hope he goes somewhere where he at least can look fwd to 16 games a year lol

:laugh: That would be hilarious if Tony wants to be traded to a 'contender' and they trade him to AZ.

But although the NYG just won it last year, I think they are the best team in the NFC right now. ALso... they are contenders. They are for sure playoff bound, and adding Tony G to their arsenal would absolutely make them the favorites from this point out. Not to mention next year as well.

Fins4Life
10-11-2008, 08:58 PM
Heh.. I picked Miami! I think Miami is on a roll, and they are going to ride that. Their defense is STOUT, and Brown is a man-child.

The Houston Texans can't figure out what they are and who they are.

First to the thread starter sorry for the off-topic.

Im suprised at all the analyst thinking we will lose. The Texans are 26th against the run, and our line is getting better each week. Should be interesting.

Thanks for the opinion:beer:

Ravage!!!
10-11-2008, 09:00 PM
First to the thread starter sorry for the off-topic.

Im suprised at all the analyst thinking we will lose. The Texans are 26th against the run, and our line is getting better each week. Should be interesting.

Thanks for the opinion:beer:

Yeah.. I keep wondering what the heck are all these guys talking about with the "I think Houston should bounce back." Bounce back? they are 0-4!! :laugh:

Go Dolphins.... this week :thumb:

yarg27
10-12-2008, 04:06 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3638551

What do you think.
Would the cheifs even consider an in division trade?
Tony S is hurt alot and Tony G could be a good mentor while seriously helping us.
do you think and third and a 5th round pick would do it.
I have no idea what the chiefs want.
Any thoughts..

y2cragie
10-12-2008, 04:20 AM
I have read they want a 3rd rounder for him.
I doubt he'd be traded to Denver and his wage bill is rather too high considering within a few weeks the team should have two healthy top level TE's. Who do you bench then?

PeteP
10-12-2008, 04:20 AM
I think Shanny sees TE as one of our deepest positions - no way we mortgage our future for the sake of getting a player who has a couple of years tops left in the tank, that would demand alot of trade bait (especially if you consider the inter-divisional connotations) not to mention the CAP he would swallow and he would not even make much of an impact amongst an already strong group - No way this ever happens....

UberBroncoMan
10-12-2008, 04:56 AM
What would you all do if we traded Sheff and a 4th/5th rounder for Tony lol.

Lifer
10-12-2008, 05:34 AM
I think it would be awesome because he could help us now, consider what he brings to the table. He is number 1 in receiving yards of tight ends, experience, wants to win now and if he don't work out he would be a great trading tool. We could run a two tight end scheme and still use tony sheffler. I think it would be a win win situation. Besides it would kill the chief fans if we got another one of their ex-players a super ring.:D

Bowlensbest3233
10-12-2008, 05:46 AM
A. The Chiefs would never deal with us or Oakland.
B. This would be epically stupid on our part. He has publicly stated he is thinking about retiring after this season. We don't need a rent-a-player for a 3rd round pick.
C. The Chiefs want a 2nd rounder.

Chris Wade
10-12-2008, 05:47 AM

I'd say do it.

rogue719
10-12-2008, 06:34 AM

We'd probably riot. It would be a monumentally stupid trade.

Orange_Nut
10-12-2008, 06:39 AM
1. KC would never trade him to DEN
2. Tony wants to go to a Superbowl caliber team, we have yet to show to the world, that we will be in a SB in the next few years. (I think we will be though :salute:)
3. Giants have a much greater need, not to mention other teams around the league.
4. Our TE's are good now -- and young. NO WAY Shanahan trades for someone that old.

Ravage!!!
10-12-2008, 07:08 AM
1. KC would never trade him to DEN
2. Tony wants to go to a Superbowl caliber team, we have yet to show to the world, that we will be in a SB in the next few years. (I think we will be though :salute:)
3. Giants have a much greater need, not to mention other teams around the league.
4. Our TE's are good now -- and young. NO WAY Shanahan trades for someone that old.

He would if our offense was just one piece away from being good. Tony still has plenty of football in him if your team is a contender already..... such as the Giants.

BANJOPICKER1
10-12-2008, 07:24 AM
We have Chad Mustard, what more do we need?:D

GOOOOOOOOOOO BRONCOS!!!

Orange_Nut
10-12-2008, 07:39 AM
He would if our offense was just one piece away from being good. Tony still has plenty of football in him if your team is a contender already..... such as the Giants.

If you're referring to #4, if our offense was one piece away from being good, it's not at TE.

Justblaze2729
10-12-2008, 08:59 AM
I'd say do it.

the chiefs giving us tony g would be making us alot stronger for what this season maybe if he does retire?? us giving them scheffler would be royally stupid we would be doing the same for them but for the future...nah im ok ill keep scheffler

Ravage!!!
10-12-2008, 09:09 AM
the chiefs giving us tony g would be making us alot stronger for what this season maybe if he does retire?? us giving them scheffler would be royally stupid we would be doing the same for them but for the future...nah im ok ill keep scheffler

Tony isn't retiring next year. I've never read this about Tony and read a lot about that crap team around here. Plus... if he is traded to a contender, then why would he retire after NEVER winning a playoff game before?? He won't. It would rejuvenate him.

I'm not saying make the trade. But lets be real about it. Trading for Tony G is not a one year rental for a guy that is planning on retiring next season.

BarkdogRX7
10-12-2008, 09:12 AM
why not trade Graham and a 3rd for him? I know that is on the losing end for us but I think makes us one step closer to winning, it wont happen but u never know

Justblaze2729
10-12-2008, 09:17 AM
why not trade Graham and a 3rd for him? I know that is on the losing end for us but I think makes us one step closer to winning, it wont happen but u never know

i would be better with trading graham and a 3rd for gonzales since Tony G is an all around TE and having him and scheffler would be scary

cvnorton
10-12-2008, 09:56 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3638551

What do you think.
Would the cheifs even consider an in division trade?
Tony S is hurt alot and Tony G could be a good mentor while seriously helping us.
do you think and third and a 5th round pick would do it.
I have no idea what the chiefs want.
Any thoughts..

He wants to go to a legit contender and we are a couple years away. He also wants to go somewhere where he will be the primary TE and I am not sure where he would fit in here since we already have a receiving TE and a blocking TE. At this point I don't really think the Chiefs care who they trade players to as long as they get the best deals. Tony G will be long retired before the Chiefs are rebuilt enough to make a legit run.

CanDB
10-12-2008, 10:13 AM
Message to the rest of the league.....pray that the Giants don't land him! The way they are playing, adding a HOF TE to a team full of talent would add to the edge they have already. :eek:

Lifer
10-12-2008, 11:11 AM
Ya know they said the same thing about Neil Smith. And we got him a ring.:rockon:

rst08tierney
10-12-2008, 11:48 AM

This is the stupidest post I have read this year. Have you watched a bronco game lately? Let alone this year? Graham is a HUGE part of the extra time Jay has in the pocket on double tight end sets and single back. Sure Tony is a big time tight end but getting rid of Graham is just plane "F" ing stupid.

Graham might not have the flair and big game catches week in and week out but he is one great pass blocker and run blocker. I hope we keep Graham until he retires.

beastlyskronk
10-12-2008, 01:22 PM
I heard that the deal has already been made to trade him to the Bills. Nothing official though but it makes sense.

TheComeBackKid
10-12-2008, 01:50 PM
There is no way the KC would trade TG to us, for any reason.

Overtime
10-12-2008, 05:11 PM
A. The Chiefs would never deal with us or Oakland.
B. This would be epically stupid on our part. He has publicly stated he is thinking about retiring after this season. We don't need a rent-a-player for a 3rd round pick.
C. The Chiefs want a 2nd rounder.

I wouldn't say never, anything can be had if the price is right. Hell they let Neil Smith leave KC for Denver.

for those of you who think TG is washed up or whatever, I've watched the guy play since he was drafted, he's one of the most reliable TE's in the league, rarely misses a game because of injury, rarely drops passes, has phenomenal hands, and an awesome ability to get open.

TG would be a positive addition to our ball club, and would make our offense more diverse in the fact, that it would take pressure off of B-Marsh, Stokely, and Eddie Royal. Most Defenses double cover T-Gonz because he makes big plays in crucial situations. Tony G probably has 3 more good years left before he does retire...he's in his 12th season...and with the shape he stays in and his work ethic, I can see him playing a few more years and doing so productively.

Hoserman117
10-12-2008, 05:12 PM
They would never trade him to us.

Super_boltz3
10-12-2008, 05:44 PM
There is talk of Gonzalez going to san diego with Chambers injury. Imagine gates and Gonzo together!

Chris Wade
10-13-2008, 12:09 PM
There is no way the KC would trade TG to us, for any reason.

Maybe they have some remorse for kicking our asses so badly.

GridironChamp
10-13-2008, 12:31 PM
We wanted a 3rd and a 5th from NYG, i think because they had two of both,
but they said no and offered a 6th in return which we have shot down...

Thats all i know so far.

omahaBroncoFan
10-14-2008, 06:44 PM
All i got to say is really.... there were no takes on this guy for something in the neighborhood of a 3rd round pick. A steal.

Ravage!!!
10-14-2008, 06:47 PM
All i got to say is really.... there were no takes on this guy for something in the neighborhood of a 3rd round pick. A steal.

apparently the chiefs wanted more than just a 3rd. They thought they should have gotten 2 picks for him.

saphire1
10-14-2008, 08:46 PM
i think the chiefs missed badly on the tony gonzalez trade. its not like theyre gonna win now, or next year. theyre rebuilding - should have taken advantage of getting more draft picks to build the team. better to get a decent draft pick than nothing at all when he decides to retire.

Passepartout
10-14-2008, 10:09 PM
I think now he is staying put! From what I read on NFL.com!

Chris Wade
10-14-2008, 11:29 PM
Trading deadline is over and so is this thread.

GridironChamp
10-15-2008, 11:48 AM
apparently the chiefs wanted more than just a 3rd. They thought they should have gotten 2 picks for him.

Yeah, the best we got offered was a 4th round pick and we declined that ...

IDK if we just wanted like a 3rd or 2nd, or maybe we did want two picks. I think
other teams undervalued Tony in this situation because he looks like he can still
give a solid 2 to 3 years after this year.

Why not give up a 3rd round pick for that? :confused:

Ravage!!!
10-15-2008, 11:58 AM
Yeah, the best we got offered was a 4th round pick and we declined that ...

IDK if we just wanted like a 3rd or 2nd, or maybe we did want two picks. I think
other teams undervalued Tony in this situation because he looks like he can still
give a solid 2 to 3 years after this year.

Why not give up a 3rd round pick for that? :confused:

Because it comes to how much he was wanting to get paid as well. Plus, he's not young. Spending a third, matching his salary, and getting an older player is a tough thing to justify if the team is simply asking too much.

Personally.. since Moss only got a 4th for him, I think the Chiefs should have taken the 4th. But... now they have TG, and I'm sure he's thrilled about it.

But if you traded away TG, you know you would be trading away Larry at the end of the season. I'm still STUMPED as to what Herm is thinking by not using this guy??? Why isn't the owner on the field DEMANDING that Edwards actually USE the RB you guys are paying top dollar for? Doesn't make any sense. I don't like the Chiefs... but damn they need to fire Edwards fast.

GridironChamp
10-15-2008, 12:16 PM
Because it comes to how much he was wanting to get paid as well. Plus, he's not young. Spending a third, matching his salary, and getting an older player is a tough thing to justify if the team is simply asking too much.

Personally.. since Moss only got a 4th for him, I think the Chiefs should have taken the 4th. But... now they have TG, and I'm sure he's thrilled about it.

But if you traded away TG, you know you would be trading away Larry at the end of the season. I'm still STUMPED as to what Herm is thinking by not using this guy??? Why isn't the owner on the field DEMANDING that Edwards actually USE the RB you guys are paying top dollar for? Doesn't make any sense. I don't like the Chiefs... but damn they need to fire Edwards fast.

Peterson is as much of the problem as Herm. I'm praying both are gone by the
end of this year, seeming I think Peterson's contract is up and I dont expect
Clark to renew it.

Personally I would have taken a 4th for TG, that being said, I'd also have given
up a third for him... especially if I was the Bills or Giants. Im sure it was just
another one of Peterson's great "marketing" ploys backfiring on him.

Ravage!!!
10-15-2008, 12:54 PM
Peterson is as much of the problem as Herm. I'm praying both are gone by the
end of this year, seeming I think Peterson's contract is up and I dont expect
Clark to renew it.

Personally I would have taken a 4th for TG, that being said, I'd also have given
up a third for him... especially if I was the Bills or Giants. Im sure it was just
another one of Peterson's great "marketing" ploys backfiring on him.

Well.. you know that both he (tony) and larry are going to be asking to be traded this offseason. Tony (obviously)..a nd Larry because Herm is showing him that he is (for some ODD reason) no longer a part of this offense. I think Edwards has just flat out lost his mind. He's proving every week to just not make any sense with his decisions.

I've never been a BIG LJ fan...but I know that he's a student of the history of the game. I know that Larry had always wanted a strong legacy in football, and always gives tribute to the 'great' RBs in the NFL history. He was stuck behind Holmes and couldn't get in the lineup (was drafted purely for the purpose of getting Holmes to sign)... then gets stuck with Edwards as his coach. I actually feel for the guy.

str8jacket
10-15-2008, 02:21 PM
Trading Graham and a 3rd for an all around tight end.

Anyone see the irony in it? :laugh:

GridironChamp
10-16-2008, 12:35 PM
Well.. you know that both he (tony) and larry are going to be asking to be traded this offseason. Tony (obviously)..a nd Larry because Herm is showing him that he is (for some ODD reason) no longer a part of this offense. I think Edwards has just flat out lost his mind. He's proving every week to just not make any sense with his decisions.

I've never been a BIG LJ fan...but I know that he's a student of the history of the game. I know that Larry had always wanted a strong legacy in football, and always gives tribute to the 'great' RBs in the NFL history. He was stuck behind Holmes and couldn't get in the lineup (was drafted purely for the purpose of getting Holmes to sign)... then gets stuck with Edwards as his coach. I actually feel for the guy.

Well, maybe not so fast for some. LJ is gonna be inactive this week because
of skipping practices (or meetings) along with his court date from an altercation
back in Feb. Maybe he is in the doghouse, but you usually dont put your best
player in doghouse... But who knows what Herm thinks and or does.

Chris Wade
10-16-2008, 07:50 PM
I heard that the deal has already been made to trade him to the Bills. Nothing official though but it makes sense.

Bills offered a second and Tony nixed the deal. Something about a one horse town.