PDA

View Full Version : Clinton Portis

rich_thunder
10-19-2008, 09:09 PM
5 straight hundred yard games. He's hit his stride for sure. I miss seeing him in that blue helmet. Champs a beast...but I always wonder what could have been if Portis was our guy.

But hindsight as they say is 20/20.

Ohio Broncos
10-19-2008, 09:14 PM
He's matured and it's showing with the way he's playing now. I miss the hell outta him, but that's life.

He still shoulda stuck with us, though.

Ravage!!!
10-19-2008, 09:14 PM
see.. I just never have missed him. Its rare to see him finish the season, and considering there is still a lot of season left, I'm betting he doesn't finish healthy.

Mile_High_Kiwi
10-20-2008, 12:22 AM
Portis is a stud and right now I would trade Bailey for him. What good is having the leagues best CB when you have no pass rush? We may as well have a couple of rookies back there!

Bailey is the better player but he can't do everything.

edog24
10-20-2008, 08:32 AM
Also, you have to consider that it seem like the rules now make it really difficult to have a "shut down" corner. I don't think we are that worse off for the trade, but we did not get a steal now seeing how good portis has become.

BarkdogRX7
10-20-2008, 09:01 AM
CP is tearing it up right now, I think he will be over 800 yards. He's easily leading the league, I hope he stays healthy and hits 1300-1500 yards, I would love for him to win a rushing title.

Peanut
10-20-2008, 10:08 AM
CP is tearing it up right now, I think he will be over 800 yards. He's easily leading the league, I hope he stays healthy and hits 1300-1500 yards, I would love for him to win a rushing title.

Since my husband is a Redskins fan, he would love to see that, too. :D

BarkdogRX7
10-20-2008, 11:51 AM
I've had em as my avatar since I joined and everyone thinks I am a skins fan posting here lol. I'm all about the Broncs but CP is the man, I want himt o get one rushing title so people think back on him as one of the greats

BroncoBJ4MVP!!!
10-20-2008, 12:41 PM
:salute: @ Portis. I've always been a fan of him and I always will be. I really hope he wins the rushing title this year. :salute:
I'm glad I drafted him for Fantasy football as well.

My name on here use to be 26portis and I got accused of being a Skins fan :laugh:
So I had to get a name change. :dance:

Ravage!!!
10-20-2008, 12:56 PM
he wn't win the rushing title.. he'll get hurt. I promise you, he'll get hurt....... mark my words right here. He'll get hurt.

BroncoBJ4MVP!!!
10-20-2008, 01:01 PM
he wn't win the rushing title.. he'll get hurt. I promise you, he'll get hurt....... mark my words right here. He'll get hurt.

I heard you the 1st few times you said it. :salute:

But he was healthy all last season.
The only season where he "really" Got hurt and missed some time was 2 years ago.
He had little bumps and bruises that made him miss a game or maybe 2 before.
But he's been healthy for the past 2 seasons now.

So he will win the rushing title. He'll stay healthy. I promise you, he'll stay healthy. Mark my words right here. He'll stay healthy. :salute:

Ravage!!!
10-20-2008, 01:03 PM
I heard you the 1st few times you said it. :salute:

But he was healthy all last season.
The only season where he "really" Got hurt and missed some time was 2 years ago.
He had little bumps and bruises that made him miss a game or maybe 2 before.
But he's been healthy for the past 2 seasons now.

So he will win the rushing title. He'll stay healthy. I promise you, he'll stay healthy. Mark my words right here. He'll stay healthy. :salute:

He never finished a season when in Denver. Last year was his FIRST to finish healthy. I'll take the odds. He'll get hurt... AGAIN.

Thats what he does....gets hurt. :coffee:

BroncoBJ4MVP!!!
10-20-2008, 01:06 PM
He never finished a season when in Denver. Last year was his FIRST to finish healthy. I'll take the odds. He'll get hurt... AGAIN.

Thats what he does....gets hurt. :coffee:

His 2nd season in Washington he played every game as well I believe.
And his 1st season in Washington he only missed the last game I think. Or the 1 before it.
And His rookie season in Denver he played every game once he became the starter I think.
He doesn't get hurt every single year.

I don't think he will get hurt this year. :salute:

Ravage!!!
10-20-2008, 01:28 PM
His 2nd season in Washington he played every game as well I believe.
And his 1st season in Washington he only missed the last game I think. Or the 1 before it.
And His rookie season in Denver he played every game once he became the starter I think.
He doesn't get hurt every single year.

I don't think he will get hurt this year. :salute:

HURT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Max Power
10-20-2008, 01:37 PM
injury is tough to predict, but given the nature of the sport, I think its more likely Clinton gets injured at some point than not.

ebsoria
10-20-2008, 01:52 PM
Hurt or not... the man is a stud and had we not had a shot at Bailey I'd have loved to have held onto him.

Max Power
10-20-2008, 02:06 PM
Man Law: No man shall refer to another man as a "stud".

ebsoria
10-20-2008, 03:44 PM
Man Law: No man shall refer to another man as a "stud".

Man Law: Have confidence in your sexuality.

GridironChamp
10-21-2008, 12:01 PM
As hard as Poris plays I wouldnt be surprised if he does end up getting hurt...
But i dont wish it upon him like some people seem to.

I like a RB (or any skill player) that will deliver a pop to a LB.

Bronco Axe
10-29-2008, 02:09 PM
Clinton WILL BREAK THE 2000 YARD BARRIER, IF HE CONTINUES to play the second half like he did the 1st. Ravage you must hate Portis more then anybody has ever hated a former player for Denver that I know!:eek:

Ravage!!!
11-12-2008, 05:23 PM
see.. I just never have missed him. Its rare to see him finish the season, and considering there is still a lot of season left, I'm betting he doesn't finish healthy.

I heard you the 1st few times you said it.

Thats what he does....gets hurt.

I don't think he will get hurt this year.

HURT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JayCutler4MVP!!!, where are you??? Hellooooooooo :P :P :P :smug:

BroncoBJ4MVP!!!
11-12-2008, 05:25 PM
:laugh:

I'm right here. And hes been questionable for like 4 weeks in a row now.
I'm still waiting for him to miss a game or 2.

So until he misses a game your still wrong. :smug:

Though right now its not looking good. :(

Ravage!!!
11-12-2008, 06:03 PM
:laugh:

I'm right here. And hes been questionable for like 4 weeks in a row now.
I'm still waiting for him to miss a game or 2.

So until he misses a game your still wrong. :smug:

Though right now its not looking good. :(

YOu know it.. I know it.. EVERYONE Knows it...... he's HURT (again) ;)

BroncoBJ4MVP!!!
11-12-2008, 06:12 PM
Every NFL Player gets hurt. Some play and some don't. They'd be lying if they said they made it through the season without getting hurt :laugh:

But once he plays and rushes for 150 and 2 TD's this week I'll be sure to tell everyone :P

Ravage!!!
11-12-2008, 06:13 PM
Every NFL Player gets hurt. Some play and some don't. They'd be lying if they said they made it through the season without getting hurt :laugh:

But once he plays and rushes for 150 and 2 TD's this week I'll be sure to tell everyone :P

oh Ok.. .. I'll be waiting :salute:

orangeblue72
11-12-2008, 09:59 PM
Portis is the right size for an AFC West team. You need a fast back with good hands that can catch. He is however in what I refer to as The NFL's version of the USSR in the NFC east where running backs either have to be very talented or able to take hard hits. I think if you want to compare the time that Champ has been burned on coverage compared to Portis' fumbles we definitely got the better end of the trade. Portis' ego and his assinine comments after Vick got busted, tell me he needs to stay away. Besides with Champ you have a mentor for CB's and Safeties even when he's injured he has contributed, whereas Portis is too buzy feeling sorry for himself when he's down to help anyone. If Portis wins a rushing title I will go ice skating in Hell....:cheers:

BroncoBJ4MVP!!!
11-13-2008, 02:07 PM
Portis is unlikely to play :dance:

Figured I'd bump it once more. :P

Passepartout
11-13-2008, 08:38 PM
Well he has 995 yards rushing for 2008.
Five more and he will have 1,000!

Chris Wade
11-14-2008, 05:32 AM
Part of the reason Portis was traded . Denver wasn't big enough for his and Shanahan's ego's

orangeblue72
11-19-2008, 03:44 PM
Well he has 995 yards rushing for 2008.
Five more and he will have 1,000!

Here are the reasons why I will not be ice skating in Hell anytime soon...

Fumbles = 23 Lost = 16 Funny the one season he held on to the ball he had ... 523 yards on 176 carries...he can stay in DC with the clowns we keep electing.

BroncoBJ4MVP!!!
11-19-2008, 03:46 PM
Well even though he was "hurt" He still played vs the Boys. :dance:

I'm still waiting for him to miss a game. :laugh:

GridironChamp
11-19-2008, 10:39 PM
Here are the reasons why I will not be ice skating in Hell anytime soon...

Fumbles = 23 Lost = 16 Funny the one season he held on to the ball he had ... 523 yards on 176 carries...he can stay in DC with the clowns we keep electing.

Best RB in the game this year, maybe, maybe 3rd at worst, and a Denver fan
is saying he doesnt want him????

Wow. :eek:

orangeblue72
11-20-2008, 10:21 AM

Our running game has been off and on and through the revolving door of any hospital but I will take that over Portis any day. His ego, and his mouth just never match up with his finished results. The " best " in the league ? Ever watched Adrian Peterson on the Vikings ? Even in the worst games and dirty shots by some teams AP keeps going. This year in the game against Green Bay in Minneapolis, AP fumbled yet came back and scored game winning TD. Last year AP racked up 296 against San DiegHO and that was his second game with 200 + yards. When will Portis hit even near that mark? We would be lucky in Denver to have someone near AP's ability and it sure ain't Portis.

GridironChamp
11-20-2008, 12:28 PM
Our running game has been off and on and through the revolving door of any hospital but I will take that over Portis any day. His ego, and his mouth just never match up with his finished results. The " best " in the league ? Ever watched Adrian Peterson on the Vikings ? Even in the worst games and dirty shots by some teams AP keeps going. This year in the game against Green Bay in Minneapolis, AP fumbled yet came back and scored game winning TD. Last year AP racked up 296 against San DiegHO and that was his second game with 200 + yards. When will Portis hit even near that mark? We would be lucky in Denver to have someone near AP's ability and it sure ain't Portis.

I have watched AP and I have him 4th so far this year...

Portis
Barber
Jacobs
AP

Portis is the best blocking rb in the league, he is the tuffest (pound for pound).
Portis is a stud, and I think Denver fans just have a bad taste in their mouth
for him. And for his attitude? have you read anything, listened to him or listened
to anyone talk about him? The dude has been as mellow as mellow since his
teamate and LONGTIME friend Sean Taylor was killed. All the antics, all the
gloating, was/is gone. I think he was really good before even with the tude, but
now he is that much better... he plays harder.

Portis > THe plethora of Denver RBs, very easily.

The AP > Portis arguement is a preference that I will not go into cuz so far this
year, as i've said, Portis > AP in my mind.

mojo0730
11-20-2008, 02:15 PM

Well, Tony Scheffler has yet to finish a season. Does that mean he's worthless or that he shouldn't be missed if Denver were to ever cut him? And as far as I can tell, none of our running backs since he left have been able to carry the load and stay healthy for a full 16-game season, either.

I agree he's not the healthiest back in the league. But even missing 1-4 games a season, he still puts up monster numbers, and he's far and above any back we've had before or since with the exception of Terrell Davis (and you could make a legitimate case that, had he stayed in Denver, he would have far exceeded TD's stats and accomplishments).

I also know that he would have, without question, taken an enormous amount of pressure of Jay Cutler, and opened up our offense in a way we haven't seen since 1998.

It's a tough call. Champ Bailey is a great player - maybe the greatest corner to ever play the game. But with him as the cornerstone of this defense we have seen some of the worst overall defensive teams ever from a Broncos squad. Clearly that's not his fault but it's a clear indication that we have not gotten better as a defense with him here, whereas I have no doubt we'd be better (or more complete anyway) as on offense with CP here.

I don't know if I want to play hypotheticals with this. I like Champ but admit to missing CP.

Ravage!!!
11-20-2008, 02:23 PM
I've had enough of Tony Scheffler missing so much time too. I never used the word "worthless"... I said I didn't and haven't missed him. Would I miss Scheffler as of right now if he was cut or traded?.. no. He's valuable to the offense when he's here and healthy, but thats too rare to really expect it to be consistent enough to know what we've missed. So no.. I wouldn't say Scheff (or portis) is worthless... but I don't miss Portis, and would feel we could find another Scheff.

Portis came out and said he wanted to be paid as the BEST RB in the NFL after his second season. Sorry... don't want him.... don't miss him.

I also don't see Clinton ever being considered for HoF.

Ravage!!!
11-20-2008, 02:26 PM

Yeup... I'm saying it again. I don't want him, and dn't miss him. I don't LIKE him. :coffee:

mojo0730
11-20-2008, 02:34 PM
I've had enough of Tony Scheffler missing so much time too. I never used the word "worthless"... I said I didn't and haven't missed him. Would I miss Scheffler as of right now if he was cut or traded?.. no. He's valuable to the offense when he's here and healthy, but thats too rare to really expect it to be consistent enough to know what we've missed. So no.. I wouldn't say Scheff (or portis) is worthless... but I don't miss Portis, and would feel we could find another Scheff.

Portis came out and said he wanted to be paid as the BEST RB in the NFL after his second season. Sorry... don't want him.... don't miss him.

I also don't see Clinton ever being considered for HoF.

What happens if and when Marshall wants to be paid as the BEST WR in the NFL after his third season, given his history off the field? I mean, do you think Marshall wouldn't demand a ton of money, given he's only making $400,000 a year?

As great as Marshall is, you can't really say he's in a position of dependability or reliability yet (any more so than CP was after his second year, anyway), but he's going to want his money. Do you think we get rid of him if and when the time comes and he wants an 'unreasonable' contract?

As far as CP for the HoF...let's not get ahead of ourselves. He's still pretty young and has a few years left on him. He's also a flamboyent player well known by fans and players. So I think it's way too soon to be making such predictions.

Ravage!!!
11-20-2008, 02:39 PM
What happens if and when Marshall wants to be paid as the BEST WR in the NFL after his third season, given his history off the field? I mean, do you think Marshall wouldn't demand a ton of money, given he's only making $400,000 a year?

As great as Marshall is, you can't really say he's in a position of dependability or reliability yet (any more so than CP was after his second year, anyway), but he's going to want his money. Do you think we get rid of him if and when the time comes and he wants an unreasonable contract?

As far as CP for the HoF...let's not get ahead of ourselves. He's still pretty young and has a few years left on him. He's also a flamboyent player well known by fans and players. So I think it's way too soon to be making such predictions.

Do you mean if Marshall expects to get paid after COMPLETING his first and initial contract with the Broncos??? YES!!!!!!!! ABSO-EFFING-LUTELY we pay him and keep him..... JUST as we would have if Portis wouldn't have had TWO more years on his contract, then stated to the PRESS, that he wanted to be paid TOP money. Portis would have gotten his money HERE as well.... but he BLEW it with his mouth.

I know YOU think that Marshall is this big Problem off the field.... but Marshall is not this "trouble" that you insist he is. He hasn't said a single thing about getting "paid" to anyone.

Marshall will get paid big money, and we will pay him the money to keep him here.... ABSOLUTELy we do... no hesitation on that answer.

mojo0730
11-20-2008, 02:45 PM
Do you mean if Marshall expects to get paid after COMPLETING his first and initial contract with the Broncos??? YES!!!!!!!! ABSO-EFFING-LUTELY we pay him and keep him..... JUST as we would have if Portis wouldn't have had TWO more years on his contract, then stated to the PRESS, that he wanted to be paid TOP money. Portis would have gotten his money HERE as well.... but he BLEW it with his mouth.

I know YOU think that Marshall is this big Problem off the field.... but Marshall is not this "trouble" that you insist he is. He hasn't said a single thing about getting "paid" to anyone.

Marshall will get paid big money, and we will pay him the money to keep him here.... ABSOLUTELy we do... no hesitation on that answer.

I see your point regarding Marshall finishing out his contract.

However, there is no argument that Marshall has off-field issues. You are more than welcome to try and make one, but it'll be totally bogus and baseless. He DOES HAVE off-field issues clearly.

Ravage!!!
11-20-2008, 02:55 PM
I see your point regarding Marshall finishing out his contract.

However, there is no argument that Marshall has off-field issues. You are more than welcome to try and make one, but it'll be totally bogus and baseless. He DOES HAVE off-field issues clearly.

He had. I hope you aren't counting the "arm" cut as an "incident"...because I honestly find that one to be laughable, and blown COMPLETELY out of proportion as being some kind of "attitude" issue or problem. He handled that fine, and he handled the "outlandish" comments by Cutler like a professional.

So you can say he has 'had' issues, but I don't see this kid BEING or HAVING off-field issues now or in the future. So he clearly DOES NOT have off-field issues. :P

Nonetheless, I'm not denying that a Portis caliber of player wouldn't help this team. I mean, any GOOD player is a benefit to a football team. But when it comes to Portis himself, I don't miss him. I know I'm biased against him because I don't like his personality and the way he went to the media and wanted to be paid TOP MONEY despite only playing 2 seasons in a 4 year contract. He would have gotten top money here, and we wouldn't have Champ if he didn't decide he was too good. I guess prancing around like a jack-ass waving a heavyweight belt blew up his head.

mojo0730
11-20-2008, 03:04 PM
He had. I hope you aren't counting the "arm" cut as an "incident"...because I honestly find that one to be laughable, and blown COMPLETELY out of proportion as being some kind of "attitude" issue or problem. He handled that fine, and he handled the "outlandish" comments by Cutler like a professional.

So you can say he has 'had' issues, but I don't see this kid BEING or HAVING off-field issues now or in the future. So he clearly DOES NOT have off-field issues. :P

Nonetheless, I'm not denying that a Portis caliber of player wouldn't help this team. I mean, any GOOD player is a benefit to a football team. But when it comes to Portis himself, I don't miss him. I know I'm biased against him because I don't like his personality and the way he went to the media and wanted to be paid TOP MONEY despite only playing 2 seasons in a 4 year contract. He would have gotten top money here, and we wouldn't have Champ if he didn't decide he was too good. I guess prancing around like a jack-ass waving a heavyweight belt blew up his head.

Technically speaking, his case in Atlanta IS PENDING, therefore, he HAS off-field issues, ravage.

And I'm sorry, if you believe that a few months of not having any issues somehow exonerates Marshall or proves that he's turned a corner, you're naive, IMO.

orangeblue72
11-20-2008, 03:07 PM
I am not a hunter, but even I was offended by his argument that dog-fighting is more humane than hunting. Really, do not miss him at all. He's #1 in your mind but when the season ends he will be right where he's expected to be overrated. They must have to use snap-together pads to get them over his inflated head. Since that assinine comment ( which shows you that he runs his mouth better than any running play ) he's been very quiet. As he should be. I remember the " belt episode " what a joke. I would take even an injured AP over mighty mouth Portis. Dog-fighting more humane than hunting...what an absolute MORON. NFC East = USSR of the NFL.

Ravage!!!
11-20-2008, 03:38 PM
Technically speaking, his case in Atlanta IS PENDING, therefore, he HAS off-field issues, ravage.

And I'm sorry, if you believe that a few months of not having any issues somehow exonerates Marshall or proves that he's turned a corner, you're naive, IMO.

Oh.. wow... ouch :laugh: naive :rolleyes:

You have always been one that continues to persecute, and have been pretty harsh on Marshall from day one. I felt you completely over-exaggerated his "arm cut" in the beginning, and you will continue to believe that was some kind of "personality problem" despite common sense saying otherwise.

As far as the "PENDING" making it a "HAS" issues..... thats just LAUGHABLE!! :laugh: You are soooooo cute when you think you are correcting someone with your silly technicalities. He hasn't done anything in a long time to make anyone believe (except a few that wish to continue to condemn ) he's a problem.

Thats why he'll be rewarded with a big contract at season's end.

Call me naive.. and I'll call you cynical. There.....:coffee:

stnzed
11-20-2008, 03:44 PM
Yeup... I'm saying it again. I don't want him, and dn't miss him. I don't LIKE him. :coffee:

What he said ^.......

mojo0730
11-20-2008, 04:59 PM
Oh.. wow... ouch :laugh: naive :rolleyes:

Well, I wanted to say DUMB, but since I already know you to be that, as well have pointed that out MANY times, I figured 'naive' was much more civil for this particular discussion. But since you pressed the button...

You have always been one that continues to persecute, and have been pretty harsh on Marshall from day one. I felt you completely over-exaggerated his "arm cut" in the beginning, and you will continue to believe that was some kind of "personality problem" despite common sense saying otherwise.

You think the arm cut is the only thing that bothers me about Brandon Marshall?

Please ravage, grow up. I have MANY problems with Marshall's behavior that go well beyond him 'wrestling' around with some family members and nearly killing himself and his career. I think the guy is a TREMENDOUS talent but to deny he's got issues is DUMB, and I'll call anyone that tries to argue against it DUMB.

As far as the "PENDING" making it a "HAS" issues..... thats just LAUGHABLE!! :laugh: You are soooooo cute when you think you are correcting someone with your silly technicalities. He hasn't done anything in a long time to make anyone believe (except a few that wish to continue to condemn ) he's a problem.

His last incident was on June 12th - just five months ago. If you think that a 5-month period is enough of time to feel that someone with Marshall's vast legal trouble is more than enough to redeem him in your eyes, then you are DUMB.

BTW, for those that want clarification of Marshall's legal issues:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brandon_Marshall#Legal_trouble

Once again, this isn't an isolated incident, and I have a hard time believing that Marshall is this great guy, despite what Jay Cutler says and you believe.

Thats why he'll be rewarded with a big contract at season's end.

We'll see. Like I said in another post, if he gets convicted in Atlanta and faces another suspension for 2009, it'll be interesting to see where the Broncos decide to go with him.

Call me naive.. and I'll call you cynical. There.....:coffee:

It's not cynicism. It's REALITY. Marshall has a LONG history of legal problems, up through THIS YEAR. If you think that somehow he's turned a corner in viewing him after a mere 5 months, then you're ridiculously naive AND dumb, IMO.

Ravage!!!
11-20-2008, 05:11 PM
awww.. mojo.. you called me Dumb. How immature you are. Its a good thing I find you to be nothing more than a friggin' joke, and seriously couldn't care LESS what you think about me or anything else.

No matter to me either way. But you sure are cute when you get all riled up and self-righteous like..... almost as if you think your OPINION is always right, huh?? :laugh:

you are so funny *ruffles your hair*.... cutie putootie

IMO... you are RIDICULOUSLY meaningless. :coffee:

mojo0730
11-20-2008, 05:33 PM
awww.. mojo.. you called me Dumb. How immature you are. Its a good thing I find you to be nothing more than a friggin' joke, and seriously couldn't care LESS what you think about me or anything else.

No matter to me either way. But you sure are cute when you get all riled up and self-righteous like..... almost as if you think your OPINION is always right, huh?? :laugh:

you are so funny *ruffles your hair*.... cutie putootie

IMO... you are RIDICULOUSLY meaningless. :coffee:

Ouch. Coming from you, that means...well, absolutely nothing.

You're a joke. Have been a joke, ALWAYS will be one.

BroncoBJ4MVP!!!
11-23-2008, 11:41 PM
:salute: To the leading rusher in the NFL.

I'm still waiting for him to get "injured." :laugh: