PDA

View Full Version : So, has Favre been a success with the Jets??

Ravage!!!
11-02-2008, 09:03 AM
Saw this as the poll on ESPN.... so I wanted to see what you guys think. Has Brett Favre been a success with the Jets so far this season???

Overtime
11-02-2008, 09:10 AM
he's throwing Interceptions...Jets fans are booing him, he seems to be picking up where Pennington left off, so I'd have to say yes.....:D

garzjoe
11-02-2008, 10:49 AM
The Jets were a bad team last year and this year they are 4-3 (same as Broncos), they have already won as many games as they did last year halfway through the season. Furthermore in any other division in the AFC they would either be tied for 1st or 2nd, but in the AFC East they are sitting at 3rd.

So for me the answer is an overwhelming yes...Farve has thrown a lot of picks (tied with O'Sullivan from the 49er's) but he also has thrown a LOT of TD's (tied with Bree's of the Saints).

Thx,
Joe

RunYouOver
11-02-2008, 11:38 AM
The Jets were a bad team last year and this year they are 4-3 (same as Broncos), they have already won as many games as they did last year halfway through the season. Furthermore in any other division in the AFC they would either be tied for 1st or 2nd, but in the AFC East they are sitting at 3rd.

So for me the answer is an overwhelming yes...Farve has thrown a lot of picks (tied with O'Sullivan from the 49er's) but he also has thrown a LOT of TD's (tied with Bree's of the Saints).

Thx,
Joe

Gotta disagree with you there Joe.

Living in NJ I get plenty, and I mean PLENTY of Jets news...

The Jets spent a LOT of money on FAs this year including Alan Faneca, Kris Jenkins, and some LBs.

They got another year older, and with Favre, their team was supposed to be built for this year (and really this year only) for a decent playoff run.

They're 4-3, but they've had a very easy schedule past 4 games and now it gets a lot tougher.

Jets aren't more than a 8-8 or 9-7 team, which would make the Brett Favre era a failure in NY.

-Rod-
11-02-2008, 11:45 AM
I think Favre is having problems because he got so used to Green Bay, and now he has to manage a different offense. Now, who truly had success in this whole story was Miami. Sparano did not have a solid QB to start the season, and was in great doubt about who would get the job. The Packers promoted Rodgers, Favre went to the Jets, then Pennington was released. In the end, Miami got a veteran QB who is playing well, helping them to leave the ghosts from last season behind.

Overtime
11-02-2008, 12:01 PM
I think Favre is having problems because he got so used to Green Bay, and now he has to manage a different offense. Now, who truly had success in this whole story was Miami. Sparano did not have a solid QB to start the season, and was in great doubt about who would get the job. The Packers promoted Rodgers, Favre went to the Jets, then Pennington was released. In the end, Miami got a veteran QB who is playing well, helping them to leave the ghosts from last season behind.

nah his not knowing the offense is due to the fact that he's been too busy calling teams that play the Packers this year, and giving out offensive strategies, and Packers game plan structure. :smug:

mojo0730
11-24-2008, 09:13 PM
Well, right now, it's looking like a great move by the Jets, and a terrible decision by Green Bay.

I feel bad for Aaron Rodgers. He's almost destined to fail.

LordTrychon
11-24-2008, 09:45 PM
Well, right now, it's looking like a great move by the Jets, and a terrible decision by Green Bay.

I think they'll be fine in the long run...

Hard decision to make in regards to Favre... one more year with him and they may have gotten to the 'Dance'... but one more year of Favre, and Rodgers is at the end or just one year off the end of his contract? Have to figure out if it's been a waste of money or not sooner rather than later.

Ravage!!!
11-24-2008, 10:06 PM

I completely disagree. Rodgers has played well. Did you see the comparison in numbers between Rodgers and Favre? They are almost identical this season. There is absolutely NO reason to believe this was some kind of "terrible" move by GB in the least.

Favre is just as up and down on his play. He'll have a great game, and then turn around and have a terrible one.... not to mention that Favre, despite his desire to continue to play... is getting at the last of his game. Rodgers is playing WELL (despite having a bad game tonight)..... and is just in his first year as a starter. QBs don't always play well EVERY game.

As LT pointed out. If they waited yet another year... and then started Rodgers....he goes FA. Then what? Start over when they have a good one on the roster? Makes no sense.

Not to mention, the way Pennington is playing in Miami, can we honestly say that the Jets are better with Favre than they were/would have been with Pennington?? I don't really think thats the case.

orangeblue72
11-25-2008, 06:07 AM
I cannot stand Favre for the simple fact that his arrogance is defined as " being competitive ". He has a whole press core out there that drool at his feet even when he stinks up a game. For all his " greatness ", has passed, he's been around long enough to know how to adapt and learn new offenses that is his job that he refuses to retire from. Him and the Jets have a better record, but in typical Jets fashion inconsistency ( AKA : Broncos ). Beating the Titans, losing in OT to the Raiders, winning in OT, getting blown out by the Chargers. The rivalry has always been fierce between Minnesota and Green Bay, but Favre's messing with the Vikings getting them investigated and then cleared by the league was classless. Last night's game I turned off the sound as Tony Kornheiser is so in love with Favre it makes me vomit. I hope the real Broncos show up in New Jersey and drive Favre into extinction. Jets, ha " One Bowl Wonders "....as in wonder when they will be back. Maybe not this year. 13 INT's this year, every season he hits double digits for them but they worship him anyways.:rolleyes:

mojo0730
11-25-2008, 09:35 AM
I completely disagree. Rodgers has played well. Did you see the comparison in numbers between Rodgers and Favre? They are almost identical this season. There is absolutely NO reason to believe this was some kind of "terrible" move by GB in the least.

With regards to Rodgers, I'm not blaming him for Green Bay's regression this season, and I don't believe he's playing poorly. I do think it's near impossible to follow in the footsteps of someone like Favre, and although it's happened before (Montana/Young), I don't see it happening for Green Bay. They will be a mostly adequate football team, but I don't see Rodgers being significantly better than Plummer was in Denver for his first three seasons, for example.

Favre is just as up and down on his play. He'll have a great game, and then turn around and have a terrible one.... not to mention that Favre, despite his desire to continue to play... is getting at the last of his game. Rodgers is playing WELL (despite having a bad game tonight)..... and is just in his first year as a starter. QBs don't always play well EVERY game.

Agreed. However, Favre went to a brand new team, division, conference, playbook, etc. He started off sluggish but has REALLY come on in recent weeks, and looks like the Favre of last year and of old.

Again, I'm not saying Rodgers is playing poorly. I just think that he's going to hear it at the end of the season when the Jets are in the playoffs and Green Bay isn't. Regardless of the reasons (which have nothing to do with Rodgers' play), you know how the media is. They'll immediately jump on the fact that Favre is going to the playoffs and Rodgers, Thompson, and McCarthy aren't.

As LT pointed out. If they waited yet another year... and then started Rodgers....he goes FA. Then what? Start over when they have a good one on the roster? Makes no sense.

Well, it was a lose/lose situation for Green Bay. My feeling is that you go with the sure-thing in Favre over an unknown in Rodgers, and worry about the consequences later. You never know what the future holds, but you can control your present situation anyway.

Not to mention, the way Pennington is playing in Miami, can we honestly say that the Jets are better with Favre than they were/would have been with Pennington?? I don't really think thats the case.

This, I'll whole-heartedly disagree with. The problem with Pennington in New York is that Pennington never really handled the pressure of playing in such a market well, and was hot and cold game after game, season after season as a result. In Miami, there were ZERO expectations and ZERO pressure for Pennington, and he's playing virtually pressure-free football.

Favre, at the beginning of the year, was under INTENSE pressure, especially when he wasn't playing as well and the Jets were struggling while Green Bay was rolling. Yet, he handled it like a HoF veteran would, fought through, and now has the Jets in prime position for a top seed in the playoffs and likely a Pro Bowl berth for him.

Ravage!!!
11-25-2008, 09:44 AM
Favre wasn't just up and down between games.. but up and down btween seasons. The two years before their playoff team last year, Favre was NOT playing well. They went 4-12 and 8-8 prior. So its not like we could say, by any means, that Brett Favre was a "sure thing."

I think the Packers made the right decision. Favre isn't going to last many more years... and he's shown that his play isn't any more consistent than any other over the last few years.

Despite it being hard to follow a legend, SOMEONE has to do it, and you had/have a 1st round pick that was highly regarded coming out of college. One that would be going FA, and one that has been learning under Favre for 3 years. Who else would be in a better position to replace that legend than a guy that has been playing with, and amongst the fans, for the last 4 years??

mojo0730
11-25-2008, 09:58 AM
Favre wasn't just up and down between games.. but up and down btween seasons. The two years before their playoff team last year, Favre was NOT playing well. They went 4-12 and 8-8 prior. So its not like we could say, by any means, that Brett Favre was a "sure thing."

Well, Favre was more a sure thing than Rodgers, IMO. He had his ups and downs but you knew what you had with Favre, and you can't deny his ability or his leadership. He is undeniably a HoF quarterback who just came off one of his best year's ever. Now, does that mean if he were in Green Bay right now they'd be 8-3 and sitting atop the NFC North? Not necessarily. But I think it was a gamble to let Favre go to for the purpose of 'starting fresh' with a new legacy in Aaron Rodgers.

I think the Packers made the right decision. Favre isn't going to last many more years... and he's shown that his play isn't any more consistent than any other over the last few years.

But it has been consistent these last couple of years, and overall, he's been a fairly consistent quarterback. Even Dan Marino, John Elway, and Peyton Manning had 20+ INT seasons well after their rookie years.

Despite it being hard to follow a legend, SOMEONE has to do it, and you had/have a 1st round pick that was highly regarded coming out of college. One that would be going FA, and one that has been learning under Favre for 3 years. Who else would be in a better position to replace that legend than a guy that has been playing with, and amongst the fans, for the last 4 years??

Agreed. But I think the circumstances in which Favre wound up leaving, as well as the fact that Green Bay will be sitting at home in January while the Jets won't, significantly hurt Rodgers long-term. I will say he's fortunate playing in a city where they don't neccessarily jump on the quarterback the way we do here in Denver or the way the bigger market teams do. But regardless, it's going to be a tough road for Rodgers, and although I think he's a good quarterback, I don't think he'll be an elite quarterback.

But that's just my opinion, and I could be wrong.

Ravage!!!
11-25-2008, 10:03 AM
I guess I don't understand the wanting to stick with a QB that has considered retirement... has retired... and has shown to have obvious signs of his age finally taking its toll when you have a young QB that (even through this season) has shown that he very much can be the new face and franchise QB for this team. Can't keep looking for the short term and hurt your long term.

I just felt it was the right move then.. and after seeing Rodgers play his first season as a starter.... that has confirmed that the Packers were right in making a move for their future. He's played well, and proved to be a quality QB. Brett will be a HoFer.....but before last season was showing signs of age and inconsistency, along with the constent "he may retire after this season" crap.

Oh well. To which their own. I think it was a good decision to move to the future for them.

GridironChamp
11-25-2008, 04:05 PM
I think he has because he has accomplished something this year that Pennington
was never able to do... Favre has opened up the Jets offense.

Just watching the Jets play, even during a Brett bad game, the defense still
respects his arm and can only put 6 or 7 guys in the box to stop Thomas Jones.
Which is proving to be a great advantage for the Jets.

Pennington is playing well in Miami, I wanted him in KC, but he doesnt offer the
same thing that Favre does and that is why he has been a success.

RealBronco
11-25-2008, 04:49 PM

Thx,
Joe

Now they're 8-3 and looking pretty dang good. So, I think Favre is doing well there, but we can't forget they have pretty decent receivers and a decent running game... and if we had the defense the Jets have, we'd probably be 9-2 or something right now (it's sure better than our current defense).

nah... Rodgers has come out and been pretty amazing for his first year as a starter. Probably right up with Ryan and Flacco. I know Green Bay is 5-6 thus far, but they've played pretty well considering they lost Favre...

and I'm inclined to think that even if they had Favre their record wouldn't be much better. He'd still throw a high number of interceptions etc.