PDA

View Full Version : Baltimore Orioles

CTM
11-08-2008, 11:34 AM
Lets go O's!!!

Best time of the year for us O's fans, the offseason when we cant possibly lose another game and we can call for Peter Angelos's head.

Well let me just give everyone a run down on where the O's are right now.

Still a ways away from contention thanks to our lack of Starting pitching. Jeremy Guthrie is our ace, behind him we have the always consistent Daniel Cabrera :rolleyes:. Behind that there are a bunch of scrubs and no names. The good news is that we have a lot of promising arms in the minor leagues with the likes of Matzuz, Tillman, and Arrieta.

Our trade of Erik Bedard last year will end up being a great trade. Already Adam Jones looks like the CF of the future. Him with Markakis will be awesome patrolling the outfield. Luke Scott is decent in right.

Every O's fan is excited for Matt Wieters, our first round pick a few years ago who has torn up the Minors with his bat. He should turn into a great offensive catcher for years to come.

Our bullpen still has its struggles. George Sherrill looked good in the beginning but really did awful in the second half. The real bright spot in the pen is Jim Johnson, our setup guy who could potentially be closing if Sherrill continues to struggle.

The left side of the infield is almost in crisis mode. We have absolutley no SS, no prospects to speak of, at 3rd, Melvin Mora is ancient and might have one season left in him.

BRob has always been very good at 2nd. I dont know if we have Millar locked up for next season but I hope we do. Even though his hitting is terrible he is a very good defensive first baseman. Plus the guy is just plain fun to watch.

Every person in Bmore will be screaming for us to sign Texiera, but Angelos has shown reluctance to shell out the big money.

We will have to try and sign a SP or 2 and hope our young scrubs can turn it around, Another power bat in the middle of the lineup to protect Markakis would definitley help.

I doubt we can contend this year but in 2010, watch out for the Birds!!

CTM
12-17-2008, 11:28 AM
O's have signed Cesar Izturis.

2 years 5 mil.

Clearly this puts us in contention for the AL east crown :rolleyes:

Apparently we're still in the Texiera sweepstakes but I dont see it happening. We dont have the resources to compete w/ the Sox and Angels.

Any other O's fans out there?

*Crickets*

Damn....

saltybuggah
12-17-2008, 11:54 AM
not an O's fan...

didnt think that people that aer O's fans actually admitted that :laugh:

you should be happy with Izturis thou... im a cards fan and he's not a bad player to have on your roster...

best of luck in the up coming season ...:salute!:

CTM
12-17-2008, 01:18 PM
not an O's fan...

didnt think that people that aer O's fans actually admitted that :laugh:

you should be happy with Izturis thou... im a cards fan and he's not a bad player to have on your roster...

best of luck in the up coming season ...:salute!:

Haha, well I'm not ashamed to say who I root for no matter how terrible they happen to be. I think thats the true definition of fanhood.

I hear Izturis is a pretty good defensive SS which is nice. But since we traded Miggy, which I was in favor of, we have lacked a consistent bat in the middle, aside from Markakis who is a rising star.

I'm pretty excited about the young talent we have now, once a bunch of our young arms come up through our system we could be okay.

The Cardinals should be alright. It amazes me how it seems they are always ravaged by injuries but are always in the talk for a playoff spot. Thats really a tribute to Pujols and how great he is.

Best of luck to you as well. :salute!:

nbaballer913
01-02-2009, 10:26 PM
hey you guys have Matt Weiters to be excited for

CTM
01-16-2009, 01:48 AM
hey you guys have Matt Weiters to be excited for

Yeah and I think we already traded Ramon, leaving the C position wide open for Weiters. We did sign Gregg Zaun to a 1 year deal but if Weiters performs well during spring training I think they should give him the job. He did get a huge signing bonus and could really provide a big bat in the middle.

It also seems like we are taking the route of the Rays.

http://baltimore.orioles.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090114&content_id=3744212&vkey=news_bal&fext=.jsp&c_id=bal

No more free agents at least big name guys. I do like what were doing with the youth movement. Although the young guys who were up last year didnt do much at all, but once we bring up Tillman and Arrieta our rotation should start looking alot better.

nbaballer913
01-19-2009, 12:31 AM
Yeah and I think we already traded Ramon, leaving the C position wide open for Weiters. We did sign Gregg Zaun to a 1 year deal but if Weiters performs well during spring training I think they should give him the job. He did get a huge signing bonus and could really provide a big bat in the middle.

It also seems like we are taking the route of the Rays.

http://baltimore.orioles.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090114&content_id=3744212&vkey=news_bal&fext=.jsp&c_id=bal

No more free agents at least big name guys. I do like what were doing with the youth movement. Although the young guys who were up last year didnt do much at all, but once we bring up Tillman and Arrieta our rotation should start looking alot better.

yea, zaun provides a good backup option if Weiters fails for some reason. Imo, you guys shouls have kept Cabrera and tried a bit more to improve him, but now i doubt he will ever tap his potential.

CTM
01-27-2009, 08:32 PM
http://baltimore.orioles.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090121&content_id=3761652&vkey=news_bal&fext=.jsp&c_id=bal

O's lock up Markakis for 6 years, 66 million.

Sweet deal, he's a stud in right field, bats for average has some pop, awesome defensive outfielder and has an absolute gun for an arm.

If the O's want to climb back into contention anytime soon, Markakis is going to have to be a part of it.

Not long before he's a perennial All Star.

Atwnbroncfan
01-27-2009, 08:54 PM
As long as the Red Sox and Yankees around and maybe the new look Rays the O's might as well be playing golf year round.

nbaballer913
01-30-2009, 11:29 PM
4th place isnt bad in the AL East (assuming theyre better than the Jays) ...the O's would probably make the playoffs in the NL West.

CTM
02-18-2009, 06:21 PM
http://baltimore.orioles.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090217&content_id=3839418&vkey=news_bal&fext=.jsp&c_id=bal

O's looking to extend Roberts' contract. I hope we can get the deal done, otherwise he will most likely be traded mid season.

He's one of our more consistent hitters and always a threat on the base path. Plus he's a big fan favorite out here in Bmore.

nbaballer913
02-18-2009, 07:55 PM
http://baltimore.orioles.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090217&content_id=3839418&vkey=news_bal&fext=.jsp&c_id=bal

O's looking to extend Roberts' contract. I hope we can get the deal done, otherwise he will most likely be traded mid season.

He's one of our more consistent hitters and always a threat on the base path. Plus he's a big fan favorite out here in Bmore.

i hate it when he faces the yanks :D

CTM
04-06-2009, 05:43 PM
*Stretches arms*

Oh What was that? Yeah Just enjoying our time here at the top of the division.

Soon you will all beg for mercy, aaaand we will consider it...

Hows that 160 mil investment sounding?

Bronco_Armada
04-06-2009, 09:01 PM
Orioles, what a crappy mascot. :laugh:

Atwnbroncfan
04-06-2009, 09:03 PM
Gotta thank Brian Roberts and Adam Jones for a good fantasy outting for me today.

Peanut
04-07-2009, 08:14 AM
Orioles, what a crappy mascot. :laugh:

What's wrong with it? Have you seen the others?

http://kids.aol.com/sports/mlb/mascot-gallery

We kind of follow the O's (mostly Red Sox fans).

CTM
04-10-2009, 07:39 PM
3-1, not a bad start at all. The offense is looking real strong thanks to Roberts, Jones and Markakis. That 1-2-3 to start the order is arguably the best anywhere when you consider all 3 having speed and strength for extra base hits.

CTM
04-13-2009, 09:17 PM
5-2, not bad but I can feel our pitching starting to crumble already. Well it was the Rangers but still....

CTM
04-16-2009, 06:09 AM
Win 2, lose 1.

Story of the O's this season.

Come On! Lets get a sweep for crying out loud!

CTM
04-21-2009, 09:33 PM
Thats how you get off the snide!

Bergeson pitched real solid in his debut giving up only 1 earned, the bull pen shut it down and the offense came through.

Markakis is a beast.

CTM
05-28-2009, 08:36 AM
So apparently we're about to call up our top prospect Matt Wieters. Its about time, we've had no offensive production from the catching position.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4207788

And we're only 6 out of first place. Not terrible.

lol, I've noticed I've been having a nice conversation with myself these past few posts.

ANY O's FANS OUT THERE????

(crickets)

Well I'll settle for Yankees and Sox trash talk if it has to come to that.

CTM
07-28-2009, 02:30 PM
http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/bal-sp.osnotes26jul26,0,5437478.story

O's likely to call up SP Chris Tillman.

Finally.

After suffering through Rich Hill's terrible outings we can get some new blood in the rotation.

For those that dont know, Tillman was aquired from the Mariners as one of the main components of the Erik Bedard trade, along with Adam Jones and George Sherrill.

If he can do well in his time up here, him along with Brad Bergesen and David Hernandez look like a solid start to building a young, quality rotation.

Southstander
07-28-2009, 08:50 PM
Maybe you should ask if there are any St. Louis Browns fans.:salute:

CTM
08-05-2009, 09:43 AM
Maybe you should ask if there are any St. Louis Browns fans.:salute:

I might have to soon lol

Any who, Brian Matzuz, our 1st round pick last year made his debut last night and pitched very well, going 5 innings, giving up 1 earned run and 3 walks, striking out 5.

I'm glad we're bringing up the young arms to see what they can do.

Southstander
08-05-2009, 12:55 PM
I might have to soon lol

Any who, Brian Matzuz, our 1st round pick last year made his debut last night and pitched very well, going 5 innings, giving up 1 earned run and 3 walks, striking out 5.

I'm glad we're bringing up the young arms to see what they can do.

I am glad you know what I was talking about.

CTM
12-10-2009, 10:17 AM
O's just acquired Kevin Milwood from the Rangers.

I like this move. Right now we have a young and inexperienced rotation, and Millwood could be the guy to anchor the rotation. He's coming off a real solid season too.

So Our rotation might look something like,

Pitcher, Age, ERA, W-L,

Millwood, 34, 3.67, 13-10
Guthrie, 30, 5.04, 10-17
Bergesen, 24, 3.43, 7-5
Matusz, 22, 4.63, 5-2
Tillman, 21, 5.40, 2-5

(We will prob have a good competition for the 5th spot in camp, but Tillman def has the edge right now)

I like that look, plenty of young talent with potential to go with Millwood. Plus we only gave up Chris Ray to get him.

CTM
12-17-2009, 06:30 PM
I saw we just acquired Mike Gonzalez and Garret Atkins.

I like these moves, Gonzalez had a 2.42 ERA in almost 80 innings last year and would be a nice closer for us. That will allow Jim Johnson to stay in his role as a setup guy where he has been dominant.

Atkins obviosly wasnt very good in Colorado last season but the previous 3 years he was very good. Maybe a change of scenery will help him regain his stroke. I trust Andy Macphail, he's helped bring in a lot of talent and I think were alot closer to contention than most people think.

keithbishop
12-18-2009, 11:26 AM
Nice move to sign Gonzalez. He was a type A FA, but the Orioles 1st rd. pick was protected. Giving up a 2nd rd. pick for him works well.

CTM
01-23-2010, 12:29 PM
http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/bal-miguel-tejada0123,0,1968583.story

Well, welcome back Miggy!

We had a real big hole at SS right now, and he's a nice stop gap until we get some middle infield prospects up and ready.

He was a very good contact hitter for us, but in his year for us his power seemed to really diminish.

Hopefully he can just be a real good on base guy and let guys like Scott, Markakis, Jones, and Reimold handle hitting home run ball.

Roberts
Jones
Markakis
Scott
Reimold
Tejada
Atkins
Weiters
Wiggington- We need to upgrade at 1B.

That looks pretty good, a lot of power spread around, and plenty of guys who hit for average.

Now if wecould get our SP in gear we could be in business.

CTM
03-07-2010, 06:33 PM
Looks like some people think we'll be substantially better this year. I already thought this based on our offseason, but its nice to see other people think so. Good signs.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/spring2010/columns/story?columnist=kurkjian_tim&id=4971331

Southstander
03-07-2010, 07:01 PM
Looks like some people think we'll be substantially better this year. I already thought this based on our offseason, but its nice to see other people think so. Good signs.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/spring2010/columns/story?columnist=kurkjian_tim&id=4971331

Hey you gave the us a good game today. We had to pull out the Rally Caps to win. As KB and I have said many times the AL East is the hardest in all of baseball to win year in and year out.

CTM
04-06-2010, 08:12 PM
Ugh. Great start O's. :sad:

At least Millwood, Weiters, and Jones had solid games.

Southstander
04-06-2010, 08:34 PM
Ugh. Great start O's. :sad:

At least Millwood, Weiters, and Jones had solid games.

What was the final score?

CTM
04-30-2010, 08:48 PM
Great game tonight. Bullpen blew a lead, what a surprise... and we rallied late. Miggy coming through in the clutch.

I was able to go to the game too, 6 dollar tickets for student night :td:

Southstander
04-30-2010, 08:53 PM
Great game tonight. Bullpen blew a lead, what a surprise... and we rallied late. Miggy coming through in the clutch.

I was able to go to the game too, 6 dollar tickets for student night :td:

I didn't think it was all that great.:sad: Our pen blew our lead.

With this win the O's end a 7 game losing streak to Boston.

CTM
05-01-2010, 12:12 PM
I didn't think it was all that great.:sad: Our pen blew our lead.

With this win the O's end a 7 game losing streak to Boston.

Yeah,

Should be interesting tonight w/ Matzusaka coming back for you guys.

Bergesen needs to get it together or he might be headed to the minors for a tune up.

Southstander
05-01-2010, 05:48 PM
Yeah,

Should be interesting tonight w/ Matzusaka coming back for you guys.

Bergesen needs to get it together or he might be headed to the minors for a tune up.

That was a brutal inning.

Southstander
05-02-2010, 02:03 PM
Congrats on the sweep.

CTM
05-02-2010, 02:22 PM
Congrats on the sweep.

TY!

We needed that desperately otherwise it would have started to look embarassing.

Now if we could pull the same result on the Yanks the next three games were right back in the realm of..... mediocrity lol.

Southstander
05-02-2010, 02:53 PM
TY!

We needed that desperately otherwise it would have started to look embarassing.

Now if we could pull the same result on the Yanks the next three games were right back in the realm of..... mediocrity lol.

Please sweep the Yankees! And the Rays.

Southstander
05-02-2010, 04:12 PM
That was the first time since 1974 you have swept a three game stand with the Red Sox in Baltimore.

CTM
05-06-2010, 08:54 PM
Finally got a quality outing from Bergesen, which is a great sign. I thought he was our most consistent pitcher last year and if he can start turning it around, we're going to be in much better shape.

I wish we could get Tillman or Arrieta up soon to replace Guthrie. Why he's our number 2 starter I'll never know.

Southstander
05-06-2010, 08:59 PM
Finally got a quality outing from Bergesen, which is a great sign. I thought he was our most consistent pitcher last year and if he can start turning it around, we're going to be in much better shape.

I wish we could get Tillman or Arrieta up soon to replace Guthrie. Why he's our number 2 starter I'll never know.

I told a MN fan here the other night not to take the O's lightly......

~~~~~~~~~~
I heard Cal Ripken Jr is wanting to make a return to baseball. But not just as someone to "shake hands and make appereances". What should worry O's fans is that it does not have to be with the O's. Can you Imagie seeing him in a different jersey? I think for B-More fans if he where to go to the Nats that would be the utlimate slap in the face.

CTM
05-14-2010, 08:02 PM
Don't look now,

We just won three in a row.

Shhhh..

Maybe if we're real quiet, this will continue....

:D

CTM
08-03-2010, 06:06 AM
Well, lets see if Buck can turn it around.

I was glad we finally went with an outside hire. Sticking with an interim hadn't worked the last two times and Showalter has a history of being able to turn things around.

I really hope we can just stay somewhat competitive the rest of the season, and more importantly have our young talent start to put it together and continue to progress.

Southstander
08-03-2010, 06:19 PM
Well, lets see if Buck can turn it around.

I was glad we finally went with an outside hire. Sticking with an interim hadn't worked the last two times and Showalter has a history of being able to turn things around.

I really hope we can just stay somewhat competitive the rest of the season, and more importantly have our young talent start to put it together and continue to progress.
Heard has his work cut out for himself. Being in the same divison as the Sox, Yanks and Rays only makes things that much harder.

CTM
08-11-2010, 07:44 PM
Wooooowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww :D:D

8-1.

Bergesen also looks like he's improving, threw a complete game, 2 hitter.

There's a big difference in having a subpar manager and a very good manager.

Imagine if we hired Showalte before the season started.

Next season should be interesting though.

CTM
12-07-2010, 12:09 PM
Orioles obtain Mark Reynolds.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=5891074

I like the move. We needed a corner infielder, we needed a righty power bat, and we didn't give up too much to get him. David Hernandez and Kam Mickolio were nothing more than relief prospects. Neither had been overly impressive at the major league level.

He doesn't hit for avg. and he strikes out a bunch but at least he can hit homeruns.

BroncoFanBoy
12-08-2010, 09:03 AM
Orioles obtain Mark Reynolds.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=5891074

I like the move. We needed a corner infielder, we needed a righty power bat, and we didn't give up too much to get him. David Hernandez and Kam Mickolio were nothing more than relief prospects. Neither had been overly impressive at the major league level.

He doesn't hit for avg. and he strikes out a bunch but at least he can hit homeruns.

coming from a rockies fan whose team played reynolds all the time, he's not very good. he's got very good power, yes, but he strikes out a whole lot. he's actually lead the entire MLB in strikeouts 3 years in a row.

going up again Sabathia, Beckett, Price, (possibly cliff lee) etc, those numbers may not change

CTM
03-22-2011, 02:11 PM
Well, then, I sort of am kind of marginally excited for the Orioles to maybe not be so horrific and approach mediocrity.

BroncoFanBoy
03-22-2011, 02:13 PM
Well, then, I sort of am kind of marginally excited for the Orioles to maybe not be so horrific and approach mediocrity.

You guys had a good offseason.

Not a fan of the trade for Reynolds, but adding Hardy, Lee, and Vladimir Gurerro is really going to help out the lineup.

I say the Orioles win 78 games this season

DevilSpawn
04-03-2011, 05:29 AM
I said it somewhere this past offseason, probably the Red Sox thread, but watch out for this team. Buck always gets the best +1 out of his team.

Southstander
04-03-2011, 10:03 AM
Yall are looking good.

CTM
04-04-2011, 04:44 PM
Wow, 4-0.

Pitching is looking much better, especially from guys like Tillman and Arrieta. If they stay consistent we might be able to stay competitive for a bit.

Offense isn't doing anything too crazy but it looks like Roberts is back to form which can only help us going forward.

Bronco51
04-04-2011, 05:33 PM
It's nice to see another team jump up in that division. Showalter has always been a good manager.

CTM
09-28-2011, 02:26 PM
Well, kind of awful year, what else is new?

But we could play spoiler for the Sox tonight, which could be the most excitement for us in the past decade.

This offseason we really need to get at least one top of the rotation type of pitcher and an extra bat for the middle of the order. Buuuut, knowing Angelos we might throw a few 5 mil contracts at over the hill veterans.

CTM
09-28-2011, 09:17 PM
WHhhhhhhhhoooooooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!

That was a pretty crazy game.

This was the equivalent of a playoff game for the O's.

That was a pretty epic collapse. Sometimes the effects of those linger, just look at the Mets a few years ago.

Southstander
09-28-2011, 09:45 PM
You guys always play us hard.

Southstander
10-07-2011, 07:17 PM
Andy MacPhail to step down as Orioles president of operations; hired by team in June 2007.

CTM
04-07-2012, 08:14 AM
Arrieta with a nice start. I really hope he proves to be the real deal.

BroncoFanBoy
04-08-2012, 07:27 PM
Enjoy Hammel, the bum we left the Orioles! :D

*looks at today's headlines*

He had a no hitter through 8? :eek:

Peanut
04-24-2012, 04:22 PM
Where the heck are the fans? The place looks empty. Should have a better turn out with a 7PM starting time.

CTM
05-01-2012, 10:08 PM
Well, we might actually be not so horrible this summer. It'll be nice if we're still in the thick of it at the start of august. But I'm getting ahead of myself. Great win against the Yanks.

CTM
05-06-2012, 05:22 PM
http://thebestdamnsportssiteever.com/captioned_pics/610x_1309428395_1309428473.jpg

Crazy win though, sweepin dem Sox.

This is just weird, am I going to have to actually care about baseball this summer?