PDA

View Full Version : Kubiak, The Broncos and the Texans

Texans_Chick
11-24-2008, 06:31 PM
Hi, I'm a Texan fan and I was hoping to get some information from some informed Bronco fans.

In the Houston paper, there are some columnists who think Gary Kubiak has done a good job given the circumstances. (Circumstances being that our defensive coordinator is the worst ever, yes, worse than yours). The team genuinely believes in Kubiak--they like and respect him and want to run through brick walls for him.

But there is one local columnist who really doesn't like him. He is the baseball columnist but he dabbles in football. He repeatedly writes pointed blog posts about Kubiak, and at one time, wrote a scathing blog post demanding Kubiak get fired, but then he erased it and apologized.

In this blog post (http://blogs.chron.com/sportsjustice/archives/2008/11/will_a_79_seaso.html), he writes:

If, say, the Texans finished 6-10, could Kubiak save himself by making changes to the defensive coaching staff? If I'm Bob McNair, that wouldn't be nearly enough. His error was in handing the keys to someone that had never been a head coach or a personnel guru. He'd never even had the responsibilities of a real offensive coordinator, at least in terms of play-calling.

When a commenter mentions that yes, Kubiak called plays for years, then he responds:

[Gary did call some plays. He didn't call them all. He didn't do the game plans. It was Mike Shanahan's deal. Gary never had the responsibilities you'd associate with a traditional offensive coordinator. He came here with much to learn.--Richard]

That doesn't sound accurate to me based on what I've read and heard from Denver fans in general. This writer has had some goofy theories in the past--like because Alex Gibbs yells (http://blogs.chron.com/sportsjustice/archives/2008/08/more_on_alex_gi.html), this makes him a bad coach. Duh.

What do you say about Kubiak's role with the Broncos, re: play calling and game planning? Do any of you have any links to any articles about this?

Thanks.:cheers:

Chidoze
11-24-2008, 06:44 PM
You dont need any articles or press releases to see what Gary Kubiak is and was to the Denver Broncos......

All you have to do is look at what the Denver Broncos have become since his departure.

We went from a team that won no less than 9 games a year and basically a force in the AFC west, to a team that gets embarrassed by division rivals at least once a year, so far.

This team has struggled since Kubiak left, Nuff said.

Ravage!!!
11-24-2008, 10:39 PM
You dont need any articles or press releases to see what Gary Kubiak is and was to the Denver Broncos......

All you have to do is look at what the Denver Broncos have become since his departure.

We went from a team that won no less than 9 games a year and basically a force in the AFC west, to a team that gets embarrassed by division rivals at least once a year, so far.

This team has struggled since Kubiak left, Nuff said.

I think thats a gross simplification and great exaggeration considering the personnel changes that have occured since Kubiak's departure.

LordTrychon
11-24-2008, 10:44 PM
Word out of the camp was always that Kubiak called the plays, with the exception of scripted plays to start the game... and was always a major part in our gameplan. Shanahan had override... but Kubiak did a most of the ground work.

Then you have those who don't believe that anyway.

Such is life.

ebsoria
11-25-2008, 08:09 AM
I miss Kub.... it has been and still is my dream that in a foew years Shanny decides it's time for him to enjoy that vill ahe's building and he steps down and Kub comes back to Denver and leads to charge back to glory...... *sigh*... but that's MY dream.

Texans_Chick
11-25-2008, 08:40 AM
Thanks for the answers. I've been very impressed with the work that Kubiak has done with so little as far as players. The team, both offense and defense believe in him.

It is too bad our defense is unwatchably bad, unless they are playing the self-destructing Bengals or Browns.