PDA

View Full Version : Jeff Fisher=jerk

11-27-2008, 01:51 PM
Anyone see Jeff Fisher's ridiculous 4th quarter challenge today? The Oilers were up 47-10. Detroit's Calvin Johnson made a great catch on the sideline with posession, both feet inbounds, all that. Fisher threw a challenge flag. How petty can you get? A 37-point lead over a winless team? What an a-hole.

BroncoBJ4MVP!!!
11-27-2008, 01:54 PM
Who cares.
He lost the challenge anyway.

He was giving the Lions what they deserve. :salute:

What a worthless team :laugh:

Overtime
11-27-2008, 02:08 PM
Anyone see Jeff Fisher's ridiculous 4th quarter challenge today? The Oilers were up 47-10. Detroit's Calvin Johnson made a great catch on the sideline with posession, both feet inbounds, all that. Fisher threw a challenge flag. How petty can you get? A 37-point lead over a winless team? What an a-hole.

you want some cheese with that whine?

i thought he had a legitimate claim. why play down to the level of your competition?

Fisher did nothing wrong, he was being competitive and keeping his team focused and not showing weakness.

IMO he got conservative with all the running calls and went easy on the Lions, the score shoulda been 65-10.

the Lions are losers and should be contracted from the NFL. I'm really sick of having to be subjected to watch a losing team on Thanksgiving. only teams with winning records should be playing on Thanksgiving.

instead the NFL honors its gay traditions over ratings and profits. how lame. The Lions are a tradition that needs to die until they can win.

Twizlers
11-27-2008, 03:41 PM
Actually I agree, that was a horrible call for him to challenge a play. One of the few ones that the Lions can make, but regardless, a good play. They were up so much and yet he still did that.

And to the other person, the Titans don't be conservative by running the ball, on the contrary, running the ball is what they do best.

But at least he pulled his starters, that was a good move to not look like last years Pats.

Overtime
11-27-2008, 04:08 PM
I thought it was awfully pointless. You're up 37 points with three and a half minutes left. No one -- on the field, in the stands or watching at home on TV -- wants to be stuck with this boring blowout any longer than they have to.

I don't think you can blame Jeff Fisher though. If anyone's to be blamed, it's the NFL for scheduling that garbage in the form of the Lions to even be on tv on this day.

The Lions just may be the 1976 Tampa Bay Bucs albeit in Blue and Silver.

put the blame where it needs to lie, and that's squarely on the NFL.

Ohio Broncos
11-27-2008, 08:18 PM
I thought it was awfully pointless. You're up 37 points with three and a half minutes left. No one -- on the field, in the stands or watching at home on TV -- wants to be stuck with this boring blowout any longer than they have to.

Completely agree.

The Titans made their point a long time ago. Throwing that challenge flag in that situation was a d*** move.

Southstander
11-27-2008, 08:33 PM
I COMPELETLY disagree. He has every right to throw the flag if he felt it needed to be thrown. I also have no problem with "running up" the score. It is PROFESSIONAL FOOTBALL, not Pop Warner. Why should he give them anything? Fisher has always been a class act.

Javalon
11-27-2008, 10:46 PM

I can understand that point of view.

On the other hand, I don't blame Fisher for challenging. His players are still out there doing their jobs and they shouldn't get screwed for their effort if the play was called incorrectly. Whether the players would have asked for it or not, Fisher tried to reward his defenders by getting them off the field faster. And then he could kill the clock by running the ball again instead of letting the Lions prolong the game by trying to pass the ball and save face with meaningless scores.

Running up the score I don't like. But trying to get your defense off the field makes sense to me.

11-27-2008, 10:48 PM
I COMPELETLY disagree. He has every right to throw the flag if he felt it needed to be thrown. I also have no problem with "running up" the score. It is PROFESSIONAL FOOTBALL, not Pop Warner. Why should he give them anything? Fisher has always been a class act.

Part of it is that it was just a great catch by Johnson. There wasn't any doubt, or reason to challenge. What point was he trying to make?

Ravage!!!
11-27-2008, 10:48 PM
The last thing Jeff Fisher is, is a jerk. Probably one of the best, and classiest, coaches in the entire NFL.

Ravage!!!
11-27-2008, 10:51 PM

Although I wasn't bothered by the flag.... running up the score simply to run up the score has NOTHING to do with being in Pop-warner or in Professional sports. There is class at EVERY level, ESPECIALLY in professionals. Belicheck showed the epitome of classlessness last season when running up the score by goign for TDs instead of kicking FGs when up by 40 points.

Its not just class.. but PROFESSIONALISM... that would keep a team from simply running up the score to RUN up the score.

BroncoBJ4MVP!!!
11-27-2008, 11:00 PM
I think running up the score could also be by kicking a FG as well.
Because you run the score up by 3 points.
Chances are you won't miss the FG.
But on 4th and 2 or 4th and 4. Teams should just stop you.
If you don't get it you didn't run up the score. :laugh:

I think the Patriots were too good last year and they wanted to show everyone how good they are.
I think they thought it was College football and they wanted to be higher in the BCS Rankings.

slostenracing
11-27-2008, 11:18 PM
I didn't ask the gas station attendant to lower his prices and give me cheaper gas over everyone else just cause I was broke and they weren't.

He was doing his job and made a call to challenge that he would have against any team.

Side note, I could care less about running up the score, attaining a record like that would boost team morale a TON.

stnzed
11-27-2008, 11:20 PM
Calvin Johnson is going to be ridiculous.......

Southstander
11-27-2008, 11:27 PM
Although I wasn't bothered by the flag.... running up the score simply to run up the score has NOTHING to do with being in Pop-warner or in Professional sports. There is class at EVERY level, ESPECIALLY in professionals. Belicheck showed the epitome of classlessness last season when running up the score by goign for TDs instead of kicking FGs when up by 40 points.

Its not just class.. but PROFESSIONALISM... that would keep a team from simply running up the score to RUN up the score.

I guess I did not state my point clear enough. The reason I brought up Pop Warner was to elude to the idea of how with kids in some leagues you have a "Mercy Rule".

As far as "running up the score goes, what are they supposed to do take three knees and punt? Should the not keep trying to do what an offense is supposed to do and SCORE?

Once again this is professional foolball, the Defense is PAID to stop a team, the offense is PAID to score, that is what they are supposed to do.

If you don't want the offense to "run up the score", do also not want the defense to prevent the other team from scoring? After all it is 47-10 let them get a field goal or two. Maybe the defense should not try to sack the QB, better yet no more blitz packages. If the other team has a TD type Running back move to a max cover defense, after all you are leading by a large margen let him rack up some yard.:rolleyes:

As a said the ONLY goal of an offense is to score points and win the game. The ONLY goal of the Defense is to STOP the other team from scoring and win. If they are not doing that they need to get off the field.

I did not see the play so I don't know if it truly was "with out a doubt" as #28 claims it was. But one thing we have to remember as fans we have the bennifit of large screen TV, some of us it is HD, with slow-mo instant replys, mulipule angles etc. The Coaches and Ref (see the Ed Hochuli incident) don't have these they have to make decisions in a matter of seconds, and these are not easy decisions. In most cases games, seasons, and careers are on the line. I seriously doubt that if it was a cut and dry as #28 claims it is Coach Fisher would have challenged it.

Ravage!!!
11-27-2008, 11:32 PM
I think running up the score could also be by kicking a FG as well.
Because you run the score up by 3 points.
Chances are you won't miss the FG.
But on 4th and 2 or 4th and 4. Teams should just stop you.
If you don't get it you didn't run up the score. :laugh:

I think the Patriots were too good last year and they wanted to show everyone how good they are.
I think they thought it was College football and they wanted to be higher in the BCS Rankings.

But you aren't taking into account professionalism, respect, and class within sports. You take those out with what Belicheck did last year.

I think that whole "they should just stop you" is the perfect example of what classless is when running up the score. If they could stop you before, they would. You proved it. You proved you were the better team. Simply running up the score does NOTHING but rub the other team's face in it. Humiliating them for no OTHER reason, than to simply embarrass them. The 'W' doesn't get bigger.. its doesn't get bonus points...its not more valuable than a 'W' any other way.

Belicheck was playing against what almost EVERYONE considers to be one of the greatest coaches of all time. A guy that is loved by everyone that has played for him.

Kicking the FG wasn't 'running up the score.' THats just takign the obvios choice. IT was sickening and disgusting to see Belicheck and his "what do you want me to do, kick the FG?" He deserved a slap across the sarcastic, and classless face for that comment. If he ever, ever, had an ounce of respect from me at all.... he lost every bit of it at the very moment. I would NEVER want a coach on my sidelines that acted that way, and would NEVER EVER support any coach running up the score with the "they should stop us then" mentality.

Play hard, play to win.... show respect in class when doing it.

BroncoBJ4MVP!!!
11-27-2008, 11:37 PM
But you aren't taking into account professionalism, respect, and class within sports. You take those out with what Belicheck did last year.

I think that whole "they should just stop you" is the perfect example of what classless is when running up the score. If they could stop you before, they would. You proved it. You proved you were the better team. Simply running up the score does NOTHING but rub the other team's face in it. Humiliating them for no OTHER reason, than to simply embarrass them. The 'W' doesn't get bigger.. its doesn't get bonus points...its not more valuable than a 'W' any other way.

Belicheck was playing against what almost EVERYONE considers to be one of the greatest coaches of all time. A guy that is loved by everyone that has played for him.

Kicking the FG wasn't 'running up the score.' THats just takign the obvios choice. IT was sickening and disgusting to see Belicheck and his "what do you want me to do, kick the FG?" He deserved a slap across the sarcastic, and classless face for that comment. If he ever, ever, had an ounce of respect from me at all.... he lost every bit of it at the very moment. I would NEVER want a coach on my sidelines that acted that way, and would NEVER EVER support any coach running up the score with the "they should stop us then" mentality.

I actually liked watching Belicheck run up the score :laugh:
Maybe its because I use to play Madden a lot and try to run up the score.
Its not classy but I guess its entertaining :laugh:

Ravage!!!
11-27-2008, 11:41 PM
I guess I did not state my point clear enough. The reason I brought up Pop Warner was to elude to the idea of how with kids in some leagues you have a "Mercy Rule".

As far as "running up the score goes, what are they supposed to do take three knees and punt? Should the not keep trying to do what an offense is supposed to do and SCORE?

Once again this is professional foolball, the Defense is PAID to stop a team, the offense is PAID to score, that is what they are supposed to do.

If you don't want the offense to "run up the score", do also not want the defense to prevent the other team from scoring? After all it is 47-10 let them get a field goal or two. Maybe the defense should not try to sack the QB, better yet no more blitz packages. If the other team has a TD type Running back move to a max cover defense, after all you are leading by a large margen let him rack up some yard.:rolleyes:

As a said the ONLY goal of an offense is to score points and win the game. The ONLY goal of the Defense is to STOP the other team from scoring and win. If they are not doing that they need to get off the field.

I did not see the play so I don't know if it truly was "with out a doubt" as #28 claims it was. But one thing we have to remember as fans we have the bennifit of large screen TV, some of us it is HD, with slow-mo instant replys, mulipule angles etc. The Coaches and Ref (see the Ed Hochuli incident) don't have these they have to make decisions in a matter of seconds, and these are not easy decisions. In most cases games, seasons, and careers are on the line. I seriously doubt that if it was a cut and dry as #28 claims it is Coach Fisher would have challenged it.

It means when you are clobbering a team, and its getting closer to the end of the game.. you don't go for it on fourth down so that you can keep your offense going to score more points. It means, when you have 4th and 1 at the six, and you are up by FIVE TDs, you don't rush to get the first down...kick the FG and let the opposing team off the hook. It means you don't throw the BOMB to get another quick score.. or do an onsides kick.

I'm not saying you stop the QB from completing passes, or tell the RB to fall down if/when he has an open field. If you did that, then you would be again, being classless (even if trying to be merciful). You let the players play the game, but you don't run the two minute drill to try and score MORE points when you are already so far ahead the other team can't catch up.

Its simple and basic Sportmanship. Sportsmanship isn't, and shouldn't, be lost in professional sports. Just because the other guys are paid to "stop you" doesn't mean that games get away from a team. It happens ALLLLL the time. The NFL doesn't give you bonus points for beating a team up, and putting 60 on the board when the only thing you can muster is a FG. Simply play with respect for the other team.

Running up the score (as Belicheck did last year) had a SINGLE purpose... and that is to embarrass the other team. Thats not how the game should be played.

Overtime
11-28-2008, 12:00 AM
Calvin Johnson is going to be ridiculous.......

too bad it's with a dump of a loser organization like the Lions. too bad it'll never amount to anything other than him getting in the HOF. too bad he doesnt have an owner, a gm, and a head coach who actually give a damn.

its such a shame to see good players go to waste on teams like the Lions.

guys like Calvin Johnson deserve so much better.

Southstander
11-28-2008, 12:54 AM
It means when you are clobbering a team, and its getting closer to the end of the game.. you don't go for it on fourth down so that you can keep your offense going to score more points. It means, when you have 4th and 1 at the six, and you are up by FIVE TDs, you don't rush to get the first down...kick the FG and let the opposing team off the hook. It means you don't throw the BOMB to get another quick score.. or do an onsides kick.

I'm not saying you stop the QB from completing passes, or tell the RB to fall down if/when he has an open field. If you did that, then you would be again, being classless (even if trying to be merciful). You let the players play the game, but you don't run the two minute drill to try and score MORE points when you are already so far ahead the other team can't catch up.

Its simple and basic Sportmanship. Sportsmanship isn't, and shouldn't, be lost in professional sports. Just because the other guys are paid to "stop you" doesn't mean that games get away from a team. It happens ALLLLL the time. The NFL doesn't give you bonus points for beating a team up, and putting 60 on the board when the only thing you can muster is a FG. Simply play with respect for the other team.

Running up the score (as Belicheck did last year) had a SINGLE purpose... and that is to embarrass the other team. Thats not how the game should be played.

I whole hartedly beleive in sportsmenship!! I don't think it is wrong to try to score everytime you touch the ball. Let me ask you this if Coach Shanahan had not "called off the dogs" in the 98 season TD would have passed ****erson's single season record, are you ok with that. Personaly I would have loved to see him have the record it would have helped his HOF chances.

Now there is a fine line between going for it on fourth and long to run up the score, and what I'm talking about.

One other point to think about is players have incentives written into their contracts based on performence. So those extra yards or points do mean something. As I mentioned about TD, that fact the Tom Brady had 50 TD passes last season will be on his HOF info. While it you are correct the NFL does not have "Style" points, it still has meaning to "crush" your opponets. Its along the lines of the NFL fines for big hits but puts out a DVD celebrating those same big hits.

Also to some it looks good if an offense scores X number of points more then their opponets.

Ravage!!!
11-28-2008, 01:14 AM
I whole hartedly beleive in sportsmenship!! I don't think it is wrong to try to score everytime you touch the ball. Let me ask you this if Coach Shanahan had not "called off the dogs" in the 98 season TD would have passed ****erson's single season record, are you ok with that. Personaly I would have loved to see him have the record it would have helped his HOF chances.

Now there is a fine line between going for it on fourth and long to run up the score, and what I'm talking about.

One other point to think about is players have incentives written into their contracts based on performence. So those extra yards or points do mean something. As I mentioned about TD, that fact the Tom Brady had 50 TD passes last season will be on his HOF info. While it you are correct the NFL does not have "Style" points, it still has meaning to "crush" your opponets. Its along the lines of the NFL fines for big hits but puts out a DVD celebrating those same big hits.

Also to some it looks good if an offense scores X number of points more then their opponets.

yeah... I'm ok with Shanahan callling off the dogs. He was looking out for the benefit of the team rather than the benefit for the individual.

Just like the incentives you mentioned. They are meant to given/gotten during the 'flow of the game'.. and not just using lame games to run up the stats.

Just like the kicker for the cowboys that beat the "most kicks in a game" record with 7. The cowboys were up by many in the last minute of the game, and the cowboys, instead of kneeling... called their kicker out onto the field to 'tie the record' even though the team didn't need it. He got the record, but it was criticized up and down by the media and fans because the record didn't come with the 'flow of the game'... the kick wasn't needed. It was handed to him when the other kicker kicked 6 to win the game.

They aren't respected when just "handed" to the player simply to beat a record. Sure they go in the books.

Lets say the Home Run record could be broken. Instead of the pitcher throwing real heat and breaking pitches.... he lobs an under hand pitch so that the batter can get the home run and break the record. Do you 'respect' the record breaking hit?? Brett Favre intentionally ran at and was sacked by Micheal Strahan to GIVE him the season sack record. Didn't you feel that it took something away from that record when it was HANDED to Strahan??

So you can't ask the offensive players to STO playing, or trying. But like I said.. you simply don't call for the BOMB. You don't go for it on 4th down, and you kick the FG instead of going for the TD when already up by 5 TDs. Thats what I'm talking about. You put your back-ups in when the other team is obviously not going to catch up.

Belicheck last season completely and totally trashed the ideals of sportsmanship and class. He completely tossed aside any signs of class by intentionally trying to embarrass the other teams. Thats what I'm talking about. The game should COME to the player/ team. The records COME when they present themselves in teh flow of the game.. but not handed to them. Coaches like Belicheck tarnish the NFL. I've heard this "once you have them down, you put your foot on their throat and don't let up" from people here...... as if thats a reality. It SOUNDS great to say it. It really makes a person seem like a "real competitor" by saying the words. But the truth is, there is no place in sports for that.

So yeah.. I do have a problem with 'running up the score' if you are only running up the score to simply try and prove some sort of 'superiority.' If you are up by 40 points at half-time, you can't stop running an offense. You can't stop trying to get the first down. But you may not run the statue of liberty or the trick triple pass-reverse-bomb that you would if the game was close. You don't try the fake 'spike' when up by 30 points... or the fake-punt. If you are up by 45 points... don't run the Hail Mary at the end of the game in hopes of getting ONE more TD.... or the "pitch-em" KO return. Its just a matter of playing mercy with class.

saltybuggah
11-28-2008, 04:33 AM
fisher is a class act...

he didnt do anything wrong when he threw the flag... it was a great catch by calvin and close to the sideline... it was a great catch but close enough for fisher to try a challenge...

like the announcer said "why should he have his defense give up a 20 yard play if they dont have too"... this was a statement game for the titans after a tough loss to the jets... why wouldnt a team want to take yardage not earned (if calvin bobbled the ball or had a foot out of bounds) away if possible and end the game...

saying fisher is a jerk for being a coach while the game is still being played just shows your ignorance to the game...

slostenracing
11-28-2008, 08:16 AM

I honestly have no idea what you are saying. The first part is so contradicting I got lost in it. The Patriots were able to complete passes for first downs and run for first down because they were an amazing team that simply played much better than their opponents.

You say you don't want them to score but you want them to keep playing the game? How are they supposed to keep playing the game if you don't want them to keep scoring? That's why the game is the way it is at this point, they played the game and completely dominated their opponent. They ran pass plays for first downs, they ran the ball for first downs and 5+ yards a carry. They passed a few deep balls to Moss.

Belicheck was correct in that press conference when he said "What'd you want me to do kick a field goal?" They were playing the game how they play their games, they were playing the game how they would have played the game had they only been up 3 TD's against a totally different team. That's how the Patriots played last year. They were a go for it on fourth down team. They were an offensive powerhouse that was trying to break as many records as possible and win another Super Bowl.

And that my friend is Belichecks single purpose you speak of, it wasn't to belittle his opponents, if his games were against an all-star made teams with the best players on defense he would have made play calls to try to run up the score and get yards. He was going for records. He was doing the job Kraft laid out for him, win games and score points. It's not his fault at all when a teams defense cannot stop his offense on a fourth down conversion. That's that teams defense NOT doing it's job by stopping the other team.

Personally with the talent and pay rates these days I think we should expect more of our athletes, I think punting should be all but abolished. I think once in the opponents territory a team shouldn't even get the option to punt. I think they should have to go for it on fourth down if it comes to that. Given four shots with the talent and pay these guys are getting to get that ten yards they should be able to do it or they don't deserve the pay.

If you got pinned in your own territory then a punt would be allowed. It'd bring more competitive drive to both sides of the field. Hell it'd give the Lions a reason to actually tackle someone. :P

Just like the kicker for the cowboys that beat the "most kicks in a game" record with 7. The cowboys were up by many in the last minute of the game, and the cowboys, instead of kneeling... called their kicker out onto the field to 'tie the record' even though the team didn't need it. He got the record, but it was criticized up and down by the media and fans because the record didn't come with the 'flow of the game'... the kick wasn't needed. It was handed to him when the other kicker kicked 6 to win the game.

You don't go for it on 4th down, and you kick the FG instead of going for the TD when already up by 5 TDs. Thats what I'm talking about.

:confused: You are mad they went for a FG when up but you say teams should go for a field goal instead of a touchdown when up by a lot?

Ravage!!!
11-28-2008, 09:39 AM
I honestly have no idea what you are saying. The first part is so contradicting I got lost in it. The Patriots were able to complete passes for first downs and run for first down because they were an amazing team that simply played much better than their opponents.

You say you don't want them to score but you want them to keep playing the game? How are they supposed to keep playing the game if you don't want them to keep scoring? That's why the game is the way it is at this point, they played the game and completely dominated their opponent. They ran pass plays for first downs, they ran the ball for first downs and 5+ yards a carry. They passed a few deep balls to Moss.

Belicheck was correct in that press conference when he said "What'd you want me to do kick a field goal?" They were playing the game how they play their games, they were playing the game how they would have played the game had they only been up 3 TD's against a totally different team. That's how the Patriots played last year. They were a go for it on fourth down team. They were an offensive powerhouse that was trying to break as many records as possible and win another Super Bowl.

And that my friend is Belichecks single purpose you speak of, it wasn't to belittle his opponents, if his games were against an all-star made teams with the best players on defense he would have made play calls to try to run up the score and get yards. He was going for records. He was doing the job Kraft laid out for him, win games and score points. It's not his fault at all when a teams defense cannot stop his offense on a fourth down conversion. That's that teams defense NOT doing it's job by stopping the other team.

Personally with the talent and pay rates these days I think we should expect more of our athletes, I think punting should be all but abolished. I think once in the opponents territory a team shouldn't even get the option to punt. I think they should have to go for it on fourth down if it comes to that. Given four shots with the talent and pay these guys are getting to get that ten yards they should be able to do it or they don't deserve the pay.

If you got pinned in your own territory then a punt would be allowed. It'd bring more competitive drive to both sides of the field. Hell it'd give the Lions a reason to actually tackle someone. :P

:confused: You are mad they went for a FG when up but you say teams should go for a field goal instead of a touchdown when up by a lot?

You are right.. you didn't read what was typed.. and didn't understand anything at all.

11-28-2008, 01:44 PM
saying fisher is a jerk for being a coach while the game is still being played just shows your ignorance to the game...

Riight. :coffee:

He made a pointless challenge which he lost. Contrary to what you think, it wasn't close. It came across as arrogant.

silkamilkamonic
11-28-2008, 01:58 PM
Jeff Fischer is one of the classiest coaches in the NFL. Mike Shanahan will be the first one to tell you that.

AznBroncoFan
11-28-2008, 03:07 PM

I totally agree! I hate belicheat so damn much after last season that I was happy as heck to see them lose the SB! Man that felt good lol.

orangeblue72
12-02-2008, 07:54 AM
Are usually the ones who suggest that the coach challenge. They also have stats on how many you win etc. Yeah they blew out the Motor City Kitties, I just wish it would have been even more to help push Detroit off the air on Thanksgiving. Fisher, is the same coach that took them to the Super Bowl and benched Vince Young even though the owner loves Vince, I would say he's more of a mad genius than an a hole. Lions, and cowBOYS sicken me worst than uncooked turkey, the league can do better.:coffee:

Sunbiz1
12-02-2008, 09:49 AM
Jeff Fischer is a class act, I have heard his radio interviews and remember him as a player here in Chicago.

The last thing Jeff Fisher is, is a jerk. Probably one of the best, and classiest, coaches in the entire NFL.