PDA

View Full Version : Sean Taylor to be inducted into skins' Ring of Fame

saltybuggah
11-28-2008, 05:43 AM
article (http://www.redskins.com/gen/articles/Taylor_To_be_Inducted_Into_Ring_of_Fame_at_FedExFi eld_4565.jsp)

The late Sean Taylor will be inducted into the Redskins’ Ring of Fame at FedExField in a ceremony prior to the Redskins-New York Giants game on Nov. 30.

Fans are encouraged to arrive early at FedExField for the pre-game ceremony, which begins at approximately 12:30 p.m. ET. Kickoff is 1 p.m. ET.

The entire Ring of Fame ceremony honoring Taylor will be broadcast LIVE on Redskins.com. Fans unable to attend the proceedings should go to Redskins.com at 12:30 p.m. on Sunday to watch the ceremony as it unfolds at FedExField.

Taylor is the 43rd member admitted into the Ring of Fame, which honors those who have made distinguished contributions to the team.

The ceremony will feature a tribute and messages from former teammates as well as comments from Taylor’s family and the presentation of commemorative plaques to members of Taylor’s family after his memorial is added to the stadium wall.

It will be the Redskins’ first game following the anniversary of Taylor’s tragic death at the age of 24, which occurred on Nov. 27 of last year in Miami.

“It’s appropriate that Sean joins our Ring of Fame after a stellar career cut short far too soon,” Redskins owner Daniel M. Snyder said. “His life touched so many of us in such deep and lasting ways. His presence is all around us, in our organization and among our fans.”

Executive Vice President of Football Operations Vinny Cerrato added: “Sean was developing into one of the best to ever play the safety position, as well as becoming a role model to those who knew him. He still touches us every day in some way on and off the field.”

In addition, all proceeds from the sale of Sean Taylor merchandise on Sunday will benefit the Sean Taylor Memorial Trust Fund.

With his combination of size, speed, athleticism, ferocity and instincts, Taylor was one of the most unique and dynamic athletes the game has ever seen, despite playing less than four seasons.

He was a two-time Pro Bowl selection after the Redskins made him the fifth pick of the 2004 NFL draft following an All-American career at the University of Miami.

props to the skins organization for doing this tribute to the late Sean Taylor

i know some posters would of wanted the same for Darrent Willams in denver :salute!:

all in all a great way to honor Taylor :salute!:

SBboundBRONCOS
11-28-2008, 06:52 AM
not to take away from darrent but taylor was going to be great and likely would have ended up there anyways :rockon:

i loved the way he played . . . congrats to him RIP Taylor

slostenracing
11-28-2008, 07:52 AM
not to take away from darrent but taylor was going to be great and likely would have ended up there anyways :rockon:

i loved the way he played . . . congrats to him RIP Taylor

Not to take away from Taylor but if that's the greatest they have ever had they need to draft better, sure the guy was a great safety who hit hard, but his stats over the four years he was there DO NOT deserve ring of fame honors. 2 sacks, 2 that's it. Sure Safeties don't get sacks that often but John Lynch had 6 in his first (and only) four years with us and that was in his 12th-15th seasons which would have been a career over for most players.

Steve Atwater a guy not known for his interceptions had just as many in his first four years as Taylor (12). Ed Reed had 22 in his first four years. (Added 15 more in the past three)

While I think Taylor was a great player I don't think he would have stayed a redskin much longer and I don't think he would have even been considered for ring of fame had he not died.

:2cents:

GridironChamp
11-28-2008, 09:51 AM
Not to take away from Taylor but if that's the greatest they have ever had they need to draft better, sure the guy was a great safety who hit hard, but his stats over the four years he was there DO NOT deserve ring of fame honors. 2 sacks, 2 that's it. Sure Safeties don't get sacks that often but John Lynch had 6 in his first (and only) four years with us and that was in his 12th-15th seasons which would have been a career over for most players.

Steve Atwater a guy not known for his interceptions had just as many in his first four years as Taylor (12). Ed Reed had 22 in his first four years. (Added 15 more in the past three)

While I think Taylor was a great player I don't think he would have stayed a redskin much longer and I don't think he would have even been considered for ring of fame had he not died.

:2cents:

Really?

Every Redskin player, after Taylor's death, came out and said how great of a
teamate he was, how good of a leader he was, and how he had been maturing
in the NFL. His fire year or two was a bit sketchy, but then he settled down
and he catapulted himself up into the convo with Polamalu and Reed as the best
safties in the NFL right now.

None of us know how he woulda panned out, but based on what he did and the
fact that he had been getting better and better every year... I think he woulda
ended up on someone's ring of fame.

Ravage!!!
11-28-2008, 09:57 AM
Not to mention... Again ..... but STATS never tell the whole story on how a player plays. It seems in todays "fantasy football" and "madden" society, people want to judge a player on stats alone, and thats just not realistic.

Example. Champ Bailey. He doesn't have many balls thrown AT him the last couple of years. That would certainly effect his stats. Does that mean he hasn't been a good corner when the other teams are being sure to throw AWAY from him???

Stats never.. ever... EVER tell the story of how good a player was or was not. They can be the beginning of the conversation, but can't be the end all.

slostenracing
11-28-2008, 10:38 AM
Really?

Every Redskin player, after Taylor's death, came out and said how great of a
teamate he was, how good of a leader he was, and how he had been maturing
in the NFL. His fire year or two was a bit sketchy, but then he settled down
and he catapulted himself up into the convo with Polamalu and Reed as the best
safties in the NFL right now.

None of us know how he woulda panned out, but based on what he did and the
fact that he had been getting better and better every year... I think he woulda
ended up on someone's ring of fame.

And most Denver players made statements about Damien Nash. Doesn't matter if the guy was a complete *******, his teammates are going to take the chance to make their image on the media and public by releasing statements or doing conferences. They aren't going to dwell on the bad parts of the guys personality or playing in his death so as not to offend the guys family or friends or for that matter the people who pay their salaries, the public.

GridironChamp
11-28-2008, 06:20 PM
And most Denver players made statements about Damien Nash. Doesn't matter if the guy was a complete *******, his teammates are going to take the chance to make their image on the media and public by releasing statements or doing conferences. They aren't going to dwell on the bad parts of the guys personality or playing in his death so as not to offend the guys family or friends or for that matter the people who pay their salaries, the public.

True, but vetrans like London Fletcher, Marcus Washington, and Shaun Springs
have nothing to gain by talking up Taylor. Especially Fletcher who was in his
first year with Washington yet he has made it a purpose of his to speak of
his experiences with Taylor on the field in the little time he spent with him.

My favorite thing that Fletcher has said was that one time while Washington
drove down and scored a game winning TD with like 1 second left, Fletcher
went up to talk to Taylor on the sideline, and Taylor said "You know, I wish
there was more time left so we could go back out there."

Now that statement means nothing, it just proves his love for the game in which i think was growing the more and more he played.

slostenracing
11-29-2008, 12:59 AM
True, but vetrans like London Fletcher, Marcus Washington, and Shaun Springs
have nothing to gain by talking up Taylor. Especially Fletcher who was in his
first year with Washington yet he has made it a purpose of his to speak of
his experiences with Taylor on the field in the little time he spent with him.

My favorite thing that Fletcher has said was that one time while Washington
drove down and scored a game winning TD with like 1 second left, Fletcher
went up to talk to Taylor on the sideline, and Taylor said "You know, I wish
there was more time left so we could go back out there."

Now that statement means nothing, it just proves his love for the game in which i think was growing the more and more he played.

Exactly, he watched him for one year WHEN HE WAS ON THE TEAM ON THE SIDELINES. Who the hell are the Redskins? Baltimore went 5-11 last year but we still heard about Ed Reed. Even teams that completely suck can have a player that stands out, if the Redskins had that it was Portis and we all know how well he did before this season.

And to what Fletcher said that's just the kind of comments I'd expect if someone died on our team. "I wish I had more time to play" Sounds like an "enter name here" response.

Reminds me of a thing I read in a reader's digest that I can't find now that I need it. Something about a pastor who had a set thing he read at each funeral but he replaced current names on his PC from the last ones. Somewhere along the line he replaced a "Mary" with edna or something like that and when he told his spill it mentioned the "Virgin Edna".