PDA

View Full Version : Giants' Burress accidentally shoots self in leg

broooks77
11-29-2008, 09:39 AM
Plaxico Burress' controversial year has just taken a turn for the worse.

The New York Giants wide receiver accidentally shot himself in the leg on Friday night, FOXSports.com has learned, not long after being ruled out of Sunday's game against the Redskins with a hamstring injury.

He spent the night in the hospital and the injuries are not believed to be life-threatening. The team is still trying to gather further information on the incident.

This has been a troubled year for Burress, who opened the season with a lengthy contract dispute. He was also suspended one game in October for violating team rules, benched during another game and hit with a series of fines.

The Giants are atop the NFC standings with a 10-1 record and are vying for their seventh straight win Sunday when they face Washington.

Burress initially pulled his injured hamstring in the Giants' win over Baltimore on Nov. 16. He then aggravated the injury in the opening series last Sunday against Arizona, and then sat out the rest of that game.

Domenik Hixon, who is dealing with an ankle injury, will start in Burress' place.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/8866348?MSNHPHMA

jdubv724
11-29-2008, 09:48 AM
Wow I want to hear why he was messing with a gun in the first place. Hunting accident? That is weird. Glad it isn't life threatening.

jdubv724
11-29-2008, 09:55 AM
New York Giants receiver Plaxico Burress suffered an accidental gunshot wound Friday night in a club, according to multiple sources.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3733021
Oh god :rolleyes: it happened in a club.

RealBronco
11-29-2008, 10:04 AM
Wow I want to hear why he was messing with a gun in the first place. Hunting accident? That is weird. Glad it isn't life threatening.

I HIGHLY doubt Plaxico Burress is a hunting man... lol

but if he accidentally shot himself.... I mean I'm glad he'll be okay but... what a dumb ass... lol Utilize the safety Plax!!!

Chidoze
11-29-2008, 10:26 AM
He was in a club.........with a gun........and "accidentally" shot himself........

I see a Darwin award in his future!!!!!

Max Power
11-29-2008, 10:33 AM
What an idiot.

slostenracing
11-29-2008, 10:38 AM
He was in a club.........with a gun........and "accidentally" shot himself........

I see a Darwin award in his future!!!!!

Funny you mention that, the one I have sitting on my desk just flipped open to a blank page and an honorable mention for him started appearing. :laugh:

RealBronco
11-29-2008, 10:47 AM
well at least i'm not the only one. i thought maybe i'd get flamed for calling him an idiot.

but... come on... i'm interested to know if that's what really happens. what are you doing messing around with a gun in a CLUB with other people around anyway?

i mean, he's lucky he ONLY shot himself.

jdubv724
11-29-2008, 12:29 PM
well at least i'm not the only one. i thought maybe i'd get flamed for calling him an idiot.

but... come on... i'm interested to know if that's what really happens. what are you doing messing around with a gun in a CLUB with other people around anyway?

i mean, he's lucky he ONLY shot himself.

I wanted to give him the benefit of the doubt because I have never really heard of Burress doing anything too crazy.

But I can't say I am surprised that it happened in a club. These athletes are morons. I know they are young with money but man... There has to be more upscale places they can go where they can leave their guns at home.

RealBronco
11-29-2008, 12:57 PM
I wanted to give him the benefit of the doubt because I have never really heard of Burress doing anything too crazy.

But I can't say I am surprised that it happened in a club. These athletes are morons. I know they are young with money but man... There has to be more upscale places they can go where they can leave their guns at home.

This is something I'll never understand I guess. And how come it's only athletes? You almost never year about Hollywood stars going around shooting each other or anything. It's either athletes or rappers.

I mean, Hollywood gets in trouble and they'll get DUI's and get arrested and get caught with drugs, etc... but jeez.

And why do they all have to carry guns and such around in the first place? Like you said, these guys are RICH... They could hold parties in their huge houses and have just as fun a time. I understand the want to go out and have fun... but why get into trouble while doing it?

These kids have such bright and lucrative futures with the money they make PLAYING A GAME for a living, and they all tend to throw it away some way or another. :confused::confused:

getlynched47
11-29-2008, 01:09 PM
what a dumba** :rolleyes: Stupid Plax:

Plax was reportedly carrying a loaded gun that went off unexpectedly late Friday night or Saturday morning.

slostenracing
11-29-2008, 01:24 PM
And why do they all have to carry guns and such around in the first place? Like you said, these guys are RICH... They could hold parties in their huge houses and have just as fun a time. I understand the want to go out and have fun... but why get into trouble while doing it?

These kids have such bright and lucrative futures with the money they make PLAYING A GAME for a living, and they all tend to throw it away some way or another. :confused::confused:

Their lives are in danger more than any normal person and you'd be surprised how many normal people carry or have guns EVERYWHERE they go.

They could hold parties, however providing liquor for 100's of people is a little more expensive then a few, at a house party you are responsible for who is there drinking and what they do after leaving, an underage drinker or a person leaving their house party and killing someone would ruin their reputation more than a club incident. At a house party you see everyone you already met, at a club you meet a lot of new people.

They are just like any normal human being with a wiener, they got out to look for woman or to look at them and hang out with friends.

You are basically saying you don't know why they don't become reclusive when they join the NFL. They might be players under contract but they are still human and enjoy doing what we do.

Etho
11-29-2008, 01:28 PM
Completely agree with him being an idiot. He has the money to afford protection yet he brings a gun that he obviously doesn't know how to operate safely INTO a nightclub. Wonder if he even had a permit to carry a gun. I can't wait to hear how this happened. He was just kicking back having a drink with his hand in his pocket with his finger on the trigger the whole time? Atleast he didn't hit an artery.

Overtime
11-29-2008, 02:35 PM
somehow im not really surprised. this is normal behavior for NY athletes. (Cough cough...Jason Giambi....cough cough A-Rod....cough cough cough...Tiki Barber).

:coffee:

Javalon
11-29-2008, 02:51 PM
So, his hamstring is too injured to play but he's hanging out at clubs with a gun? I hope he wasn't faking his injury and was out there dancing.

Isn't it funny how certain people just have a knack for continually drawing negative attention on themselves? I just hope Brandon Marshall is through with all that.

RealBronco
11-29-2008, 03:00 PM
Their lives are in danger more than any normal person and you'd be surprised how many normal people carry or have guns EVERYWHERE they go.

They could hold parties, however providing liquor for 100's of people is a little more expensive then a few, at a house party you are responsible for who is there drinking and what they do after leaving, an underage drinker or a person leaving their house party and killing someone would ruin their reputation more than a club incident. At a house party you see everyone you already met, at a club you meet a lot of new people.

They are just like any normal human being with a wiener, they got out to look for woman or to look at them and hang out with friends.

You are basically saying you don't know why they don't become reclusive when they join the NFL. They might be players under contract but they are still human and enjoy doing what we do.

I'm not saying they need to become reclusive. I just don't get why they've all got to go around flaunting their money or toting guns and being stupid. "Normal" people don't do that, even if they do have concealed weapons permits. My in-laws neighbor is worth a LOT of money and he ALWAYS carries a side-arm with him... but you don't see him going around waving his gun around and shooting himself.

And I don't know why they'd be in any more danger. I can see crowds forming and trying to get a look or an autograph and things getting out of hand but... that's what hired protection and body guards are for. Movie stars have them and you don't see them getting into shootouts at clubs.

*shrugs* a lot of them just don't know how to handle their success and salary.

captainbronco
11-29-2008, 03:31 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/8866348?MSNHPHMA

****ing plexico that bastard is on my fantasy team....

getlynched47
11-29-2008, 03:32 PM
****ing plexico that bastard is on my fantasy team....

you're screwed buddy. If I were you, pick up anybody else you can find. See if Domenik Hixon or Steve Smith (NYG) is still available QUICKLY!!

BroncoManiac_69
11-29-2008, 03:45 PM
Stupid. Moron. Idiot. Dumbass. These all fit regarding this incident.

I don't feel sorry for him one bit. I am so glad he didn't hurt anyone else for crying out loud. What the hell was he thinking?

Pathetic. :coffee:

saltybuggah
11-29-2008, 04:09 PM
well i cant feel sorry for him... having a loaded weapon and not securing it so stuff like this doesnt happen is just plain idiotic...

i could care less that he was at a club... what makes me worry is the fact that this guy could of shot someone else BY ACCIDENT... i understand that today's athletes need extra protection and security but while drinking and having fun one doesnt need to be protecting themselves with a loaded gun, if they are so careless as Burress happened to be...

if he actually shot someone else instead of himself in the leg, i wonder how that would make him feel... the fact that he only shot himself is actually a good thing

Peerless
11-29-2008, 04:16 PM
"Guns kill people."

You're lucky Plaxico.... Next time, you might not be as lucky.

getlynched47
11-29-2008, 04:18 PM
well i cant feel sorry for him... having a loaded weapon and not securing it so stuff like this doesnt happen is just plain idiotic...

i could care less that he was at a club... what makes me worry is the fact that this guy could of shot someone else BY ACCIDENT... i understand that today's athletes need extra protection and security but while drinking and having fun one doesnt need to be protecting themselves with a loaded gun, if they are so careless as Burress happened to be...

if he actually shot someone else instead of himself in the leg, i wonder how that would make him feel... the fact that he only shot himself is actually a good thing

Plaxico Burress Checklist: Things NOT TO DO!

1) Don't practice

2) Don't settle for a small contract

3) Don't put a loaded gun in your pants without the safety on

:rolleyes:

saltybuggah
11-29-2008, 04:18 PM
"Thumbs kill people."

guns are over rated

now thumbs are deadly just ask chuck norris :P

Peerless
11-29-2008, 04:28 PM
guns are over rated

now thumbs are deadly just ask chuck norris :P

Pffff... "Chuck Norris..."

stnzed
11-29-2008, 04:45 PM
Looks like Dude "got paid" just in time, since Burress signed a 5 year 27 million dollar contract he's acted like a complete dooshbag.......Ladies and Gentleman, I give you Exhibit B on why Denver should not rush into signing Brandon Marshall to a huge deal.......

Javalon
11-29-2008, 07:12 PM
Looks like Dude "got paid" just in time, since Burress signed a 5 year 27 million dollar contract he's acted like a complete dooshbag.......Ladies and Gentleman, I give you Exhibit B on why Denver should not rush into signing Brandon Marshall to a huge deal.......

Hopefully this kind of "accident" violates a clause in his contract and the Giants can use it as a reason to get rid of him.

As for the comparison to Marshall, I know he's had his troubles but I don't compare him to Burress. Plaxico is a very negative type and what I consider a cancer. Brandon, on the other hand, seems to be a very upbeat kind of guy with a positive attitude. While that's no guarantee, I do think Marshall has a better chance of avoiding future troubles... now that he's away from his ex-girlfriend, anyway.

That being said, I'd definitely like to see the Broncos protect themselves in whatever contract they offer him. Stay out of trouble and get paid.

jdubv724
11-30-2008, 04:26 AM
Some more Burress news from PFT:coffee:

BURRESS COULD BE FACING 3.5 YEARS IN JAIL
Posted by Mike Florio on November 29, 2008, 5:55 p.m. EST

As it turns out, the accidental self-shooting of Giants receiver Plaxico Burress occurred in a Manhattan night club on Friday night. Per ESPN’s Jeremy Schaap, the incident occurred at the Latin Quarter, a 15,000-square foot restaurant and club located in a Radisson Hotel.

ESPN’s Sal Paolantonio reports that the bullet went through skin and muscle tissue in the right thigh. No arteries were struck, and no bones were broken.

The Giants have confirmed generally that Burress suffered a bullet wound to his right thigh. However, the team’s statement did not address the cause of the shooting.

“We are aware of the fact that Plaxico was involved in an apparent accidental shooting last night. We have been in contact with Plaxico since shortly after the incident,” the statement said. “Obviously, our primary concern is for Plaxico’s health and well-being, and given the circumstances, we are relieved to say he was released from a New York City hospital at approximately 2 p.m. today.

Per the ESPN report, police said that Burress could face criminal charges if he was not licensed to carry a concealed weapon in New York.

And that’s where things get problematic for Burress. (Apart from, you know, the bullet in the thigh.)

If, as we’ve heard it, the accidental bullet came from a gun that Burress was carrying and if Burress was not in legal possession of the loaded weapon at the time of the incident, he could be facing a mandatory minimum jail sentence of 3.5 years.

In 2006, New York beefed up its laws regarding illegal gun possession. The following year, New York City officials embarked on a campaign aimed at communicating to all citizens the serious consequences of illegal gun possession.

“GUNS = PRISON” was the message.

“Last year, our Administration succeeded in pushing through a law that gives New York the toughest penalty in the country for carrying an illegal loaded handgun,” New York mayor Michael Bloomberg said in July 2007. “Now, if you are convicted, you will serve a minimum of 3-1/2 years behind bars — no exceptions.”

Though it’s entirely possible that Burress dotted every “i” and crossed every “t” required to ensure that he would have the ability to legally take a loaded gun into a public club, he doesn’t have a reputation for following rules, either when imposed by society or by his employer. The Giants and the NFL have fined him multiple times, and he has had problems with unpaid parking tickets and delinquent taxes in the past.

It’ll be very interesting to see how this one plays out.

PLAXICO’S GUN FIRED WHILE HE WAS UNLOADING IT
Posted by Mike Florio on November 29, 2008, 11:46 p.m. EST

More details are emerging regarding the accidental self-shooting of Giants receiver Plaxico Burress.

Per the New York Post, Burress was confronted by security guards at a Manhattan night club, and Burress admitted that he had a loaded gun in his possession.

He went to a secure area with one of the guards, and Burress began to unload the gun while drinking wine. Burress then began to bobble the weapon, and that’s when it fired a bullet through his thigh.

Burress stopped security personnel from calling an ambulance. A friend took him to a local hospital.

Meanwhile, Taco Bill has uncovered a surveillance photo of Burress and his companions moments before the incident.

REPORT: BURRESS HAD NO CARRY PERMIT
Posted by Mike Florio on November 29, 2008, 11:56 p.m. EST

We explained earlier tonight that, if Giants receiver Plaxico Burress didn’t have a valid license to carry a concealed weapon in New York City, he is facing a mandatory jail term of 3.5 years in prison.

Per the New York Post, Burress does not have a valid New York permit. His Florida permit expired in May 2008.

Though the Post characterizes Plaxico’s maximum criminal liability as one year in jail, mayor Michael Bloomberg made it clear in 2007 that illegal possession of a firearm in New York City results in a much stiffer penalty.

“Last year, our Administration succeeded in pushing through a law that gives New York the toughest penalty in the country for carrying an illegal loaded handgun,” Bloomberg said in July 2007. “Now, if you are convicted, you will serve a minimum of 3-1/2 years behind bars — no exceptions.”

If the phrase “no exceptions” includes “pro football players who scored the winning touchdown in a Super Bowl for the New York Giants,” then Burress has a problem much bigger than the hole in his leg.

BUZZ BUILDING THAT BURRESS WILL BE BUSTED
Posted by Mike Florio on November 29, 2008, 7:06 p.m. EST

We’ve been checking in with a wide variety of media sources regarding the accidental self-shooting of Giants receiver Plaxico Burress, and there’s a buzz building that Burress will be busted for illegally carrying a concealed weapon.

Such an outcome would mean that the authorities believe Burress didn’t have the appropriate paperwork in place to carry the weapon in New York City.

As we previously explained, a conviction on such charges will result in a mandatory minimum sentence of 3.5 years in jail, without exception. (Supposedly.)

Meanwhile, we skimmed all 288 pages of Plaxico’s book, Giant: The Road To The Super Bowl, and we found a few passages that shed light on whether Burress would be toting a handgun in a public place without a permit.

Burress grew up in Virginia Beach, where as he writes at page 20 ”it was all drugs and crime.” He says that “there were shootings and killings all the time,” and that gunfire “so random at night you just became immune to it.”

On the next page, Burress describes a shooting he witnessed when he was 12 or 13. “He stands up, pulls out his gun, and boom, boom, boom, he shoots out the back of the dude’s window. I was like, Damn.”

On page 22, Burress writes that the drug dealers “took care of [him]” because of his athletic abilities, and one of them “would give me a little weed to sell.” He writes of the drug dealers: “They were all cool about it. They all sold weed and crack. They all had pistols and guns, but I was the one, I was the oddball.”

At page 69, Burress says that he quit hanging out with his boyhood friends several years ago. “I had to stop doing stuff with them. They did stuff I’m not happy about. I’ve seen them pull guns and shoot at people.”

Perhaps the most intriguing relevation comes in Chapter 7, when Burress explains that the woman he married is a licensed lawyer. Because even though Burress might have been inclined based on his upbringing to think that it was normal to have a gun without giving any thought to whether it was legal to carry the thing around, the fact that his wife is a lawyer should have at some point resulted in him becoming aware that a guy just can’t leave the house with a loaded weapon in his pants without a permit.

Then again, if Burress doesn’t listen to his head coach, chances are he doesn’t listen to his wife, either.

As the investigation proceeds, one key figure could be teammate Antonio Pierce. Per Ralph Vacchiano of the New York Daily News, Pierce was partying with Burress when the incident occurred.

Pierce is currently in Washington with the rest of the team. When he comes back to New York, it’s likely that the police will want a word with him.

slostenracing
11-30-2008, 08:32 AM
My guess is he will pay some large fine, "have a concealed weapons permit" (He'll get it now and they'll let him do it) and serve maybe a month of jail time.

Money can buy you freedom in this case.

Peanut
11-30-2008, 06:20 PM
I heard today that he was going to plead 'not guilty'. :rolleyes:

saltybuggah
11-30-2008, 06:50 PM

yeah i found that hysterical :laugh:

here's how the court room will go down

Plaxico says

"your honor while at the club security came over to me and asked if i was carring a loaded gun...

i said yes.. they then asked me to follow them to a private room...

we went into the private room and i was told to unload my gun...

while unloading my gun i was taking a drink and i shot myself in the leg...

on a side note does this sound sexual :laugh:

anyways Plaxico then says "your honor i know the gun was mine and i shot myself with it but i still plead not guilty"

how rediculous does that sound

mojo0730
11-30-2008, 11:26 PM

I agree with you 100%. I think people who believe Marshall isn't like T.O. or Burress or Chad Johnson need to understand that none of those receivers started out as a negative distraction for their team. And Marshall has had more run-ins off the field thus far into his career than ANY of those other players had at their same respective points.

I think Marshall is a tremendous talent, and I trust Denver to make a smart decision when they look into re-signing him. I just caution people to understand that we've seen some very big lapses by Marshall thus far, and there's no guarantee he's clear of it.

stnzed
12-01-2008, 12:19 AM
I agree with you 100%. I think people who believe Marshall isn't like T.O. or Burress or Chad Johnson need to understand that none of those receivers started out as a negative distraction for their team. And Marshall has had more run-ins off the field thus far into his career than ANY of those other players had at their same respective points.

I think Marshall is a tremendous talent, and I trust Denver to make a smart decision when they look into re-signing him. I just caution people to understand that we've seen some very big lapses by Marshall thus far, and there's no guarantee he's clear of it.

Btw, Exhibit A on why Denver shouldn't rush into signing Marshall to a huge contract just reared itself again today.......at least two dropped passes, one for a TD.

I like Brandon Marshall a lot, a lot a lot, but he does have some work ahead of him if he wants that Elite WR contract, lip service from Michael Irvin ain't be enough for the Broncos.......

Ravage!!!
12-01-2008, 01:04 AM

I don't see how you equate Burress shooting himself to the Broncos having to be 'careful' in signing Marshall. Didn't Marvin Harrison just get in trouble for gun problems this offseason??

You have such a problem with Marshall, and I just dn't get it. I honestly don't. You somehow see him to be such a bad egg, when he's not proved to do ANYTHING do the degree that you try and imply.

Ravage!!!
12-01-2008, 01:05 AM
Btw, Exhibit A on why Denver shouldn't rush into signing Marshall to a huge contract just reared itself again today.......at least two dropped passes, one for a TD.

I like Brandon Marshall a lot, a lot a lot, but he does have some work ahead of him if he wants that Elite WR contract, lip service from Michael Irvin ain't be enough for the Broncos.......

He's still elite.... drops or not.

Did you see how many passes Moss dropped today?? He dropped two in the endzone on the same series. Do you see how many TO drops??

Brandon Marshall is very much an eliter WR in the NFL, and does deserve the big money.

stnzed
12-01-2008, 01:24 AM
He's still elite.... drops or not.

Did you see how many passes Moss dropped today?? He dropped two in the endzone on the same series. Do you see how many TO drops??

Brandon Marshall is very much an eliter WR in the NFL, and does deserve the big money.

I saw that, right in his hands.

But Marshall has Elite skills, yes, but he has slipped a bit from being the Elite WR he was early on this season with his inconsistencies in not only catching but adjusting to the ball, running the correct routes and beating press coverage. That's not just me talking, that's several analysts, including Sterling Sharpe, talking about what everybody sees but doesn't want to acknowledge. He does have Elite skills, though, but there is a difference, imo.

As for his dropping passes, he's not just dropping passes, he's dropping TD passes, that's four by my count. His dropped passes aren't just a problem, they're routine, quickly becoming a habit. 3, 4 even 5 are to be expected in any given game.

Add that to the fact that he's unstable and there is reason for Denver to be cautious.......

Ravage!!!
12-01-2008, 01:37 AM
welll... I don't think he drops 4-5 passes a game. I do understand what you are saying, but considering people want to say he's having a hard time 'adjusting' to the defenses, not catching passes, and not finding the 'zones' to be in... he still caught five passes this game...... and thats as many as most of the 'elite' WRs did this week (as I posted in the other thread).

Also.. I would like to point out that its not a coincidence that Marshall's "problems" have popped up since we lost our 4th starting RB for the season. The lack of running game has allowed defenses to settle back and try to force Jay to put the ball into SMALL windows. That makes it hard on both Jay and the receiver. This was the first week that Denver has had ANY kind of running game since losing Pittman from the lineup.

I also don't consider Marshall to be "unstable".... I think thats a highly exaggerated word....imo.

orangeblue72
12-01-2008, 09:04 AM
What an absolute moron and a poster boy for the fact that these well paid NFL stars are not spending their money on improving their lives only their " legendary status ". Eddie Royal, has been and based on his mature and sensible as well as professional approach to the game should get the big contract. Marshall is far from clear of any misconduct that someone of his stature and pay grade shouldn't get into. Watching him against the Jets he had one play that made me wonder if it wasn't Royal, as it seemed too mature and team-oriented to be his typical. Plexico will be put on injury reserve and will lose bonus money as the only positive to that story.

mojo0730
12-01-2008, 10:20 AM
I don't see how you equate Burress shooting himself to the Broncos having to be 'careful' in signing Marshall. Didn't Marvin Harrison just get in trouble for gun problems this offseason??

You have such a problem with Marshall, and I just dn't get it. I honestly don't. You somehow see him to be such a bad egg, when he's not proved to do ANYTHING do the degree that you try and imply.

In fairness, I wasn't the one that originally equated the two. I simply stated that Marshall has MANY warning signs of the prototypical 'diva' wide receiver, and I agreed with stnzed in that Denver, in looking at examples such as Burress, T.O., Moss, Chad Johnson, etc., need to be cautious about signing him to a big, long-term contract. And I feel enough time has not passed from his recent off-field issues for fans to feel secure that he'll never be in trouble again.

All that, and he's been VERY inconsistent over the past two months.

As far as my 'problem' with Marshall...I have a problem with any player of any sport who continually gets himself in trouble with the police simply because they make dumb decisions, and who attempt to make dumb decisions through the course of a game (i.e. Masrhall in the Cleveland game three weeks back). I don't buy the Cutler excuse that Marshall is really this great guy who is a victim of unfortunate circumstances. That may hold true for one or two of the incidents he's been involved with. But not all of them. I suppose my 'problem' with Marshall equates with your problem with Clinton Portis.

Like I said, I trust Denver to make the right decision either way. I just think that fans who want to lock Marshall up long-term need to smart-up and look around at some of these other characters across the league.

RunYouOver
12-01-2008, 02:14 PM
"Guns kill people."

Nah, he's pretty unlucky still.

This could very well be the end of his NFL career.

Facing a minimum 3.5 year sentence, plus a definite suspension from the league...

BroncoManiac_69
12-02-2008, 12:50 PM
Apparently the drinks were flowing and witnesses at the club said this all began when Burress was asked if he wanted another shot.

Baddabing.

:D

Seriously, it is so fortunate the clown didn't hurt anyone else. And it was odd to see him hauled into court with handcuffs on placing his $100,000 bail.

Overtime
12-02-2008, 02:00 PM

PLAXICO’S GUN FIRED WHILE HE WAS UNLOADING IT
Posted by Mike Florio on November 29, 2008, 11:46 p.m. EST

More details are emerging regarding the accidental self-shooting of Giants receiver Plaxico Burress.

Per the New York Post, Burress was confronted by security guards at a Manhattan night club, and Burress admitted that he had a loaded gun in his possession.

He went to a secure area with one of the guards, and Burress began to unload the gun while drinking wine. Burress then began to bobble the weapon, and that’s when it fired a bullet through his thigh.

Burress stopped security personnel from calling an ambulance. A friend took him to a local hospital.

Meanwhile, Taco Bill has uncovered a surveillance photo of Burress and his companions moments before the incident.

wow, I can see the judge tearing him a new one on this.

what a tool. I hope they send him to prison for 3.5 years. It would be such Poetic Justice.

CoryWinget81
12-02-2008, 02:14 PM
The weapon they recovered was a Glock .40 caliber.

Being familiar with handguns and weapons in general, (and I iterate that only because I'm 100% certain the state will have Expert Witnesses) Glocks do not have a thumb safety. The safety is integrated into the trigger.

In order for him to have been "bobbling" the weapon, and have it discharge, his finger would have had to been on the trigger. I think this story was made up by a legal team to try to sway the court of public opinion to "Hey, no ones perfect, oops, he shot himself, no harm done, hes just an idiot."

So, lets break it on down, as Rangers say.

.40 caliber weapon cocked, locked, and ready to rock, 11 in the clip, 1 in the hole, with an integrated safety in the trigger.

You don't put on a condom unless you are gonna have sex, and you don't walk around Hot unless you plan on using the weapon.

He is a class A idiot, and if he doesn't go to jail there will be a ENORMOUS public outrage. And now he's pulled Antonio Pierce in to the mess. The Giants, despite what ever drivel Drew Faghaus was spewing on MNF last night, are gonna drop Burress like a hot rock. He will be released/cut/waived at the earliest convenience.

Overtime
12-02-2008, 03:42 PM
The weapon they recovered was a Glock .40 caliber.

Being familiar with handguns and weapons in general, (and I iterate that only because I'm 100% certain the state will have Expert Witnesses) Glocks do not have a thumb safety. The safety is integrated into the trigger.

In order for him to have been "bobbling" the weapon, and have it discharge, his finger would have had to been on the trigger. I think this story was made up by a legal team to try to sway the court of public opinion to "Hey, no ones perfect, oops, he shot himself, no harm done, hes just an idiot."

So, lets break it on down, as Rangers say.

.40 caliber weapon cocked, locked, and ready to rock, 11 in the clip, 1 in the hole, with an integrated safety in the trigger.

You don't put on a condom unless you are gonna have sex, and you don't walk around Hot unless you plan on using the weapon.

He is a class A idiot, and if he doesn't go to jail there will be a ENORMOUS public outrage. And now he's pulled Antonio Pierce in to the mess. The Giants, despite what ever drivel Drew Faghaus was spewing on MNF last night, are gonna drop Burress like a hot rock. He will be released/cut/waived at the earliest convenience.

you're absolutely right. friend of mine from church is a sheriff's deputy and he uses a Glock .40 caliber, and I recall it doesn't have a safety, it's integrated into the trigger. There's no way that went off by accident.

here's a picture of the trigger mechanism on the Glocks.

http://www.lasermax.com/training/dealers/images/downloads/Glock%2019%20LMS-1131P.jpg

CoryWinget81
12-02-2008, 03:45 PM
Yep.

and it breaks at about 3.5 lbs, if its stock. Its not like you can graze it and pop one off. He had his finger ON the trigger, decommissioned the safety, and promptly discharged a round into his.....leg.

Overtime
12-02-2008, 05:02 PM
bye bye Plexiglass!!!

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=AgaqOToZvtGixB_2Ptm35k85nYcB?slug=ap-giants-burressshot&prov=ap&type=lgns

Giants suspend Super Bowl hero Burresss

By TOM CANAVAN, AP Sports Writer 19 minutes ago

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. (AP)—Super Bowl hero Plaxico Burress is done for the year.

The New York Giants fined and suspended Burress on Tuesday for four games— the rest of the regular season—after he accidentally shot himself in the right thigh over the weekend at a Manhattan nightclub. The team also placed him on the reserve non-football injury list, which means the wide receiver couldn’t come back for playoffs, either.

The team punished Burress a day after he was charged with illegal weapons possession, which carries a penalty of 3 1/2 to 15 years in prison. He is due back in court on March 31.

Burress arrived at Giants Stadium on Tuesday morning, and met individually with Giants president John Mara, general manager Jerry Reese and head coach Tom Coughlin. He left for a medical test and returned in the afternoon for another brief session with team officials.

“As we have said since Saturday morning, our concern is for Plaxico’s health and well-being,” Mara said. “This is an important time for him to take care of his body and heal up and also deal with the very serious legal consequences and other issues in his life. When I spoke with Plaxico he expressed great remorse for letting down his teammates.”

Neither Burress nor his agent, Drew Rosenhaus, was immediately available for comment.

Dr. Scott Rodeo, a team physician, examined Burress on Tuesday and told the Giants that the gunshot wound would have sidelined the 31-year-old player for 4-to-6 weeks.

“I had two conversations with Plaxico today, and it was obvious that he understood the magnitude of this situation,” Reese said. “He knows that we are here to support him and help him get healthy.”

This is the second time the Giants suspended Burress this season. He missed the Oct. 2 game against Seattle for missing a team meeting. He also has been fined dozens of times since 2005 for violating team rules, and he was hit with a $45,000 fine by the league for abusing an official and throwing a ball into the stands during a game.

“Our concern all along has been for Plaxico the person, not Plaxico the player,” team chairman Steve Tisch said. “We are here to support him and his family as he recovers from his wound and deals with some serious issues.”

getlynched47
12-02-2008, 05:05 PM
haha, what a dumba**.........Plax is out for the rest of the year with his gun-shot. The Giants moved him to the injured list :salute!:

I have no sympathy for Plax, he's an idiot and deserves to go to prison to teach himself a lesson. Isn't he like 30+ years old? There's rookies that are more mature than his stupid head :coffee:

CoryWinget81
12-02-2008, 05:08 PM
The Giants, despite what ever drivel Drew Faghaus was spewing on MNF last night, are gonna drop Burress like a hot rock. He will be released/cut/waived at the earliest convenience.

I knew it.

Drew Rosenhaus: "Oh blah blah blah the Giants are very understanding and wont jump to fast conclusions. They care about Plex, they just want him to be ok, blah blah blah.

Bye-bye Buress...I'll be on the patio since there won't be room on the cross after Bloomberg and NYC are done with you.

Overtime
12-02-2008, 05:20 PM
eh undoubtedly here's his defense

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=AtVUVuQQGlaRulFKeBvd_stDubYF?slug=txgian tssmithholdup&prov=st&type=lgns

Giants WR Smith victim of robbery

8 hours, 9 minutes ago

CLIFTON, NEW JERSEY (TICKER) —Plaxico Burress is not the only New York Giants wide receiver involved in a gun-related incident in the past week.

Giants wideout Steve Smith was the victim of an armed holdup in his own driveway on November 25.

Captain Robert Rowan of the Clifton Police Department confirmed the details of the incident to PA SportsTicker on Tuesday.

According to the police, Smith was approached from behind at approximately 4 a.m. last Tuesday by an unknown assailant who pointed a gun at Smith’s head and said, “Give me all you got.”

Smith turned over cash and jewelry to the gunman, the amount of which has not been determined, Rowan said.

No arrests have been made in the robbery, which happened inside a gated community where Smith resides. The matter is still under investigation.

“It’s fairly obvious he was targeted,” Rowan said.

It has been widely speculated the Smith’s holdup was the reason Burress felt compelled to carry a loaded gun into a midtown Manhattan nightclub Friday night.

The gun accidentally discharged inside the Latin Quarter nightclub, causing a minor wound to Burress’ thigh and leading to criminal charges against him Monday.

Burress was charged with second-degree criminal possession of a weapon - a Glock semiautomatic pistol - and third-degree possession for carrying the ammunition clip.

Both are Class C felonies, for which Burress could be sentenced to a mandatory minimum of 3 1/2 years in jail if convicted.

A second-round pick of New York in 2007, Smith has flourished this season with 43 receptions for 424 yards and a touchdown.

you can also bet if they find him guilty, and he serves prison time, that Al Sharpton and Jessie Jackson will be the first 2 ass holes to yank out the race card, and half of NYC will be rioting. :coffee:

CoryWinget81
12-02-2008, 05:24 PM
HAHAHA!

I get RSS feeds from all teams and anything to do with the NFL, and this story didn't turn up until today.

How do you suppose they got Steve Smith to lie about being held up in his gated, 24 hour armed security community?

Watch, the next story out will be

"Plaxico Finds Gun License, Says He Accidentally Left It At Home"

EDIT: I just found out Steve Smith's agent is Rosenhaus.
Go figure.

Overtime
12-02-2008, 05:28 PM
HAHAHA!

I get RSS feeds from all teams and anything to do with the NFL, and this story didn't turn up until today.

How do you suppose they got Steve Smith to lie about being held up in his gated, 24 hour armed security community?

Watch, the next story out will be

"Plaxico Finds Gun License, Says He Accidentally Left It At Home"

nah, he'll just pull the "Oh but don't you know who I am card?"

"I'm Plexiglass Dumb-ass, I'm a star multimillionaire high powered, Super Bowl winning receiver for the ****ing NY Giants *****es. I can do what I want whenever I want, and if you don't like it that's just too bad."

:rolleyes:

Overtime
12-05-2008, 02:11 AM
Plexiglass learned how to shoot himself from watching a cop shoot himself in front of a class full of students.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pj4yUpR1PB0

:D

orangeblue72
12-05-2008, 06:25 AM
By Comparison to Plexico. What a moron. I hope his career is over or he gets years of counselling so the rest of us can live safely. It looks like the 15 minutes are up Mr. Burress.

Ravage!!!
12-05-2008, 07:59 AM
I personally think this has been blown up completely out of proportion.... now.

I mean, yeah.. he's a STUPID idiot for going to a club where he needed to carry a gun, and an idiot for carrying a gun.

Why he carried a gun without a license, I don't know. But do we think he wouldn't have gotten a license if applied for? Do you guys realize that a gun license isn't really a license to own a gun, but only a license to BUY a gun? Its a way for the state to make money.

All I'm saying with that, is that the idea that he's getting RAILROADED by the city's mayor for shooting himself in the leg, is ridiculous. Lets not look at him as an athlete. People think he's getting FAVORABLE treatment because he's famous here??? HA!! Hardly.

If this was some joe schmoe, not only would we not hear about it, most likely the federal prosecutor wouldn't waste his time with this moron. But because its Plaxico, they are threatening to prosecute him to the FULLEST extent of the law??? Seriously??? For letting a gun go off in his pocket and shooting HIMSELF?

This is nothing but a political and publicity STUNT by the mayor and prosecuting attorney, and I find it an embarrassment for them.

Overtime
12-05-2008, 10:46 AM
I personally think this has been blown up completely out of proportion.... now.

I mean, yeah.. he's a STUPID idiot for going to a club where he needed to carry a gun, and an idiot for carrying a gun.

Why he carried a gun without a license, I don't know. But do we think he wouldn't have gotten a license if applied for? Do you guys realize that a gun license isn't really a license to own a gun, but only a license to BUY a gun? Its a way for the state to make money.

All I'm saying with that, is that the idea that he's getting RAILROADED by the city's mayor for shooting himself in the leg, is ridiculous. Lets not look at him as an athlete. People think he's getting FAVORABLE treatment because he's famous here??? HA!! Hardly.

If this was some joe schmoe, not only would we not hear about it, most likely the federal prosecutor wouldn't waste his time with this moron. But because its Plaxico, they are threatening to prosecute him to the FULLEST extent of the law??? Seriously??? For letting a gun go off in his pocket and shooting HIMSELF?

This is nothing but a political and publicity STUNT by the mayor and prosecuting attorney, and I find it an embarrassment for them.

Ravage, the license is not so he can buy a gun, or own a gun, it's so he can "legally carry a gun" out in the city.

NYC takes this very seriously, and it's because of the amount of gun crimes that they have there in NYC, has nothing to do with it being a political publicity stunt by the mayor and prosecutor.

Fact of the matter is, NYC is a dangerous place, and this is one of the measures that have been instilled to help make it safer (allegedly).

Plaxico is not being railroaded, sure he's getting a lot more publicity than the average joe, but that's what happens when you're a super star athlete that makes millions of bucks, and is in the public eye.

If he didn't want the attention, he shouldn't be out in public acting like a tool.

His behavior ever since the Giants won the Super Bowl, is that of a little bit**. First he was too good to go to the victory parade with his teammates, then he skipped June OTA's. Then he held out of training camp for contract dispute, before deciding he should get his butt to camp while working out the contract dispute at the same time, but when he did finally go to camp, he didn't practice because he said his "ankle" hurt. Then he misses a team meeting, and get suspended, then he runs his mouth to the media about the officiating, and verbally berates an official during a game, earning him fines of $40,000 from the NFL.

Now the dumbass has gone out in public with a handgun that he had no permit, no registration on, no license, didn't even have an appropriate holster for it, and to make matters worse, goes to a nightclub at 1 in the morning, and then shoots himself by accident?

sorry but this idiot has it all coming, and he's earned every last bit of it, and deserves everything he gets.

now if this were some average joe, he'd still get prosecuted for criminal possession of a handgun, but his name wouldn't be in the news.

but when you're a "Celebrity" everything makes the news, and that just comes with the territory.

Brad Paisley has a great song that sums up the life of celebrities. It's called

Celebrity

Someday I'm gonna be famous, do I have talent, well no
These days you don't really need it thanks to reality shows
Can't wait to date a supermodel, can't wait to sue my dad
Can't wait to wreck a Ferrari on my way to rehab

[1st Chorus]
'Cause when you're a celebrity
It's adios reality
You can act just like a fool
People think you're cool
Just 'cause you're on TV
I can throw a major fit
When my latte isn't just how I like it
When they say I've gone insane
I'll blame it on the fame
And the pressures that go with
Being a celebrity

I'll get to cry to Barbara Walters when things don't go my way
And I'll get community service no matter which law I break
I'll make the supermarket tabloids, they'll write some awful stuff
But the more they run my name down the more my price goes up

[2nd Chorus]
It's adios reality
No matter what you do
People think you're cool
Just 'cause you're on TV
I can fall in and out of love
Have marriages that barely last a month
When they go down the drain
I'll blame it on the fame
And say it's just so tough
Being a celebrity

[Bridge]
So let's hitch up the wagons and head out west
To the land of the fun and the sun
We'll be real world bachelor jackass millionaires
Hey hey, Hollywood, here we come

[3rd Chorus]
It's adios reality
No matter what you do
People think you're cool
Just 'cause you're on TV
Being a celebrity
Yeah celebrity

Overtime
12-27-2008, 04:02 PM
bawhahaha, check this video out...hilarious!!

http://www.bangcartoon.com/2008/dishonorabledischarge.htm

paper tiger
12-27-2008, 04:08 PM
Look, as Stephen Colbert pointed out... the biggest crime was that he was wearing sweat pants. Seriously guys, he was wearing sweat pants in public.

But yea, if everyone could be locked away simply based on stupidity than damn more than half this country would be a prison.