PDA

View Full Version : NFL Suspends 6 Players for violationg steroids policy

jdubv724
12-02-2008, 03:28 PM
Saints' McAllister, Vikings' Pat Williams and Kevin Williams among six suspended

National Football League
http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d80cfe423&template=without-video&confirm=true
The NFL announced Tuesday the suspension without pay for four games of six players -- Charles Grant, New Orleans, Deuce McAllister, New Orleans, Bryan Pittman, Houston Will Smith, New Orleans, Kevin Williams, Minnesota and Pat Williams, Minnesota -- that violated the NFL Policy on Anabolic Steroids and Related Substances.

The players specifically violated a longstanding provision of the policy relating to the use of diuretics and water pills, which serve as masking agents for steroids and are potentially dangerous to the health of players.

The policy states that the use of so-called “blocking” or “masking” agents, including diuretics and water pills, is prohibited and that a positive test will not be excused because it results from the use of a dietary supplement that unknowingly contained a banned substance. Supplements are not regulated or monitored by the government and players have been warned about the risks of supplement use.

“You and you alone are responsible for what goes into your body,” the policy has always stated. “Claiming that you used only legally available nutritional supplements will not help you in an appeal…Even if they are bought over-the-counter from a known establishment, there is currently no way to be sure that they contain the ingredients listed on the packaging or have not been tainted with prohibited substances…If you take these products, you do so AT YOUR OWN RISK! For your own health and success in the league, we strongly encourage you to avoid the use of supplements altogether, or at the very least to be extremely careful about what you choose to take.”

The six players are each suspended for the final four games of the regular-season. If the player’s team qualifies for the playoffs, he is eligible to return to the active roster on Monday, Dec. 29.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I remember when the players were first named and people kept throwing Royals name in with them. What a relief.:D

CoryWinget81
12-02-2008, 03:42 PM
Whats this league coming too? Now you cant roid out and be a monster? Talk about No Fun League. LOL

Overtime
12-02-2008, 05:24 PM
sorry these players wont be getting my sympathy. they knew the rules, they broke them.

i dont care if they weren't taking steroids, or were just trying to lose weight or whatever, there's no reason to be taking pills of any kinds, for supplemental reasons or not.

hit the weight room, eat a well balanced diet, and workout regularly, and you'll be as strong as you need to be to be a good player.

hope all 6 of these idiots enjoy there suspensions.

getlynched47
12-02-2008, 05:30 PM
I guess these idiots never heard of "Slim-Fast".......:coffee::coffee::coffee:

CoryWinget81
12-02-2008, 05:51 PM
I was talking about this at work.

This guy said

"Its not their fault, especially the linemen. People in the NFL have to adhere to strict weight policies, otherwise they are fined.."

Um...So?
I'm supposed to care that you with your multi-millions of dollars cant afford to hire a trainer or go see a Nutritionist? And then I'm supposed to feel bad because the team that gave you millions and millions of dollars wants you to follow the rules?:rolleyes:

I dont think so.

Chris Wade
12-03-2008, 07:34 AM
This is going to kill the Vikings. Can they delay the suspensions by appealing ?

Ravage!!!
12-03-2008, 08:12 AM
I think these players have a VERY good chance of winning a suit of some kind. I also think the NFL, in this case, was wrong.

The players took diuretics. The NFL rules say that they are responsible for what goes in their body. This was basically meant to take away the "the trainer put it in my shake, and I didn't know what I was taking" excuse.

However this time, the players (at least a few of them for sure) DID try to take the steps to be aware of what they were taking. However the company that manufactures the diuretic, didn't put the ingredient that is banned, on their list of ingredients. So even if the player is reading labels, picking out what they need while being aware of what they were putting into their body, they STILL are being suspended.

This is like you guys buying a can of Coca-cola. A cola that is sold in the vending machines at your company. Only to find out that Coca-cola started to lace their soda with cocain again. The only way you found out of course, was by failing your companies drug test. They don't fire you.. but put you on a month "lay-off" without pay.

Ravage!!!
12-03-2008, 08:12 AM
This is going to kill the Vikings. Can they delay the suspensions by appealing ?

I think they have already appealed.

Overtime
12-03-2008, 03:48 PM
I think these players have a VERY good chance of winning a suit of some kind. I also think the NFL, in this case, was wrong.

The players took diuretics. The NFL rules say that they are responsible for what goes in their body. This was basically meant to take away the "the trainer put it in my shake, and I didn't know what I was taking" excuse.

However this time, the players (at least a few of them for sure) DID try to take the steps to be aware of what they were taking. However the company that manufactures the diuretic, didn't put the ingredient that is banned, on their list of ingredients. So even if the player is reading labels, picking out what they need while being aware of what they were putting into their body, they STILL are being suspended.

This is like you guys buying a can of Coca-cola. A cola that is sold in the vending machines at your company. Only to find out that Coca-cola started to lace their soda with cocain again. The only way you found out of course, was by failing your companies drug test. They don't fire you.. but put you on a month "lay-off" without pay.

diuretics are banned as they are a masking agent for steroids.

I really don't understand why these guys have to take anything at all? Why not just eat right, exercise and lift weights? If you need some pill to help you out, and in the end you inadvertently or advertently violate a companies, policy, you deserve to be banned, suspended, fined, or whatever.

most of these guys just take the pills because they're too lazy to workout and lift, and eat right, they want to eat the junkfood, drink lots of beer, and still stay in playing form, that's what it boils down to. they just want to take the easy way, to play and the easy way to their payday.

CoryWinget81
12-03-2008, 04:37 PM

I really don't understand why these guys have to take anything at all? Why not just eat right, exercise and lift weights? If you need some pill to help you out, and in the end you inadvertently or advertently violate a companies, policy, you deserve to be banned, suspended, fined, or whatever.

most of these guys just take the pills because they're too lazy to workout and lift, and eat right, they want to eat the junkfood, drink lots of beer, and still stay in playing form, that's what it boils down to. they just want to take the easy way, to play and the easy way to their payday.

great minds think alike, LOL, i think i posted about the same thing

orangeblue72
12-08-2008, 07:20 AM
Seems the league ok'd the use but never disclosed the information of it being a " banned substance " with the teams in the league. Funny thing, it was Houston, Minnesota, and New Orleans, if that had been oh the cowBOYS, Patriots Act, Stealers, or anyone else the suspensions would have been dealt out immediatley and not towards the end of the season. The timing is the key issue, why now not when it happened ? Did they allow players the time to state their case and appeal ? With all the bumps and bruises contact sports take on the body they walk a razor thin line in what they can take for pain and sometimes that can slow down your metabolism or other side effects. There is a huge difference between what Merriman was doing and what these players have done. They took a substance, after they had asked and asked about it, it was ok'd and then they get suspended. Merriman didn't even try to hide his doping. I hope the league starts a policy of full disclosure to ALL TEAMS not just the ones they favor.

Ravage!!!
12-08-2008, 07:32 AM

This is wrong. Diuretics are NOT banned. Only certain INGREDIENTS that can be found in SOME diuretics are banned.

The point is these guys took the steps, and were using a product that was legal for YEARS... and the company (capstar) actually CHANGED the ingredients within their product and did NOT note the change on the box. Not to mention, the product was not on the "banned" list.

Sorry. I'm with the players on this one. I don't care WHAT their reasons are for needing a diuretic is. Thats their business. It could very well be something as simple as their body has a tendency to retain water.... so what?? Its not like these guys aren't getting their exercise. You are just making general stereotypes to judge from their reasons from using a LEGAL product.

The rule needs to be changed. These guys should NOT be punished as if they were taking steroids when they clearly are not.

saltybuggah
12-08-2008, 07:37 AM
Seems the league ok'd the use but never disclosed the information of it being a " banned substance " with the teams in the league. Funny thing, it was Houston, Minnesota, and New Orleans, if that had been oh the cowBOYS, Patriots Act, Stealers, or anyone else the suspensions would have been dealt out immediatley and not towards the end of the season. The timing is the key issue, why now not when it happened ? Did they allow players the time to state their case and appeal ? With all the bumps and bruises contact sports take on the body they walk a razor thin line in what they can take for pain and sometimes that can slow down your metabolism or other side effects. There is a huge difference between what Merriman was doing and what these players have done. They took a substance, after they had asked and asked about it, it was ok'd and then they get suspended. Merriman didn't even try to hide his doping. I hope the league starts a policy of full disclosure to ALL TEAMS not just the ones they favor.
the reason they waited till now is because these players tried to appeal it... i forget who it was but one player already served his suspension for 4 games when the league found out about this.. the rest of the players thought they can fight it and not get suspended... thus its closer to the end of the season games... its not the leagues fault these players fought for an appeal and they might be suspended during playoff games, its the players themselves and the people giving them advice...

but then again they might actually win this appeal

they might actually win this case thou cuz from what ive heard the league knew about this product but never actually put it on the list of things not to take :confused:

orangeblue72
12-08-2008, 09:17 AM
" they might actually win this case thou cuz from what ive heard the league knew about this product but never actually put it on the list of things not to take "

The trainers from the teams involved asked the league repeatedly about the supplements, so not only are they blocking the suspensions in court but you will see the manufacturer in court for failing to disclose ingredients, that the league knew were banned yet failed to tell the teams. I am against anyone using banned substances or masking agents but in this case the league screwed up and is doing their best to punish teams not in their favor. So be prepared for out of court settlements with the players involved and the league revising and fully informing ALL teams of " banned " substances.

saltybuggah
12-08-2008, 09:29 AM
" they might actually win this case thou cuz from what ive heard the league knew about this product but never actually put it on the list of things not to take "

The trainers from the teams involved asked the league repeatedly about the supplements, so not only are they blocking the suspensions in court but you will see the manufacturer in court for failing to disclose ingredients, that the league knew were banned yet failed to tell the teams. I am against anyone using banned substances or masking agents but in this case the league screwed up and is doing their best to punish teams not in their favor. So be prepared for out of court settlements with the players involved and the league revising and fully informing ALL teams of " banned " substances.

i dont think the league needs to inform the teams of the banned substances again... cuz if they did then that would mean the players didnt know em all already...

in this case the players knew what was legal and what wasnt...

they didnt however know that the "legal" pills they were taking, contained an "illegal" substance... if they knew it contained the illegal substance they wouldnt of taken the pills, period...

the arguement from the posters about why they took them because they are lazy is just silly and rediculous... unless you personally know these players and talk with them about the pills they all take your just in pure specualtion...

these guys need to maintain a certain playing weight or they will start losing money and if they need to eliminate some weight or face a fine you would do the same too.. and yes im speculating

orangeblue72
12-08-2008, 06:32 PM
All have zero tolerance and full disclosure of all banned substances. You cannot even take cough medicine in soccer unless it is stripped down to nothing but syrup and maybe a few ingredients. If FIFA the governing body of world soccer can inform every single national team and their national leagues*, as well as IRB for rugby world wide and IHHA for ice hockey why can't the NFL tell 32 domestic teams what is and isn't allowed ? The whole thing is coming back as a major screw up for the league. Again, with pain killers and certain treatments of conditions diet and exercise might not be enough to keep these players from losing weight and not just the ugly stereotype some have mentioned.

* soccer is played everywhere but the north and south pole and Greenland plays but is not recognized by FIFA.

saltybuggah
12-08-2008, 06:43 PM
All have zero tolerance and full disclosure of all banned substances. You cannot even take cough medicine in soccer unless it is stripped down to nothing but syrup and maybe a few ingredients. If FIFA the governing body of world soccer can inform every single national team and their national leagues*, as well as IRB for rugby world wide and IHHA for ice hockey why can't the NFL tell 32 domestic teams what is and isn't allowed ? The whole thing is coming back as a major screw up for the league. Again, with pain killers and certain treatments of conditions diet and exercise might not be enough to keep these players from losing weight and not just the ugly stereotype some have mentioned.

* soccer is played everywhere but the north and south pole and Greenland plays but is not recognized by FIFA.
the NFL did hand out a list of banned product... the problem is the NFL supposedly knew about this product having "illegal substances" in it but it wasnt on the list... the players looking at the list of "banned substances" didnt see it nor did the ingredient label have the "banned" ingredient on the label... so the players took the pills, failed the test, and now awaiting possible punishment...

your right this is looking bad for the NFL...