PDA

View Full Version : a New Professional Football League?

Overtime
12-02-2008, 06:01 PM
what the heck?

http://www.ufl-football.com/home

The United Football League, a new professional outdoor fall football league, will kick-off its inaugural season in the Fall of 2009. The UFL, featuring high quality traditional football played by world-class athletes, was created to meet the unmet needs of football fans in major markets currently underserved by professional football. Serving communities with pride and passion, the UFL will provide fans with affordable, innovative and entertaining game-day experiences.

Bronco_Armada
12-02-2008, 06:30 PM
Yup, this was talked about back in January along with the AAFL (all american football league) I think Mark Cuban (owner of the Mavs) is going to join in on this.

HORSEPOWER 56
12-02-2008, 08:12 PM
I'll be surprised if it even gets off the ground. Looks like another XFL to me. It won't be another USFL.

tsiguy96
12-02-2008, 08:48 PM
as long as they act as a secondary league to the NFL, it could be good. also, if they would make a deal with the NFL to act as a developmental league, it could work out really, really well as the NFL will actually help them.

orangeblue72
12-02-2008, 08:48 PM
Mark Cuban will be up on inside trading charges soon, so his money will be tied up. If the NFL were honest with themselves they would have a minor league or lower division to keep the top one more honest. WFA WLF XFL, the only league that could compete with the NFL was the AFL and well you know the rest of that story. If the NFL did create a lower division, the winner of it's championship would move up and replace someone like the Lions and the teams just barely above the Lions ( or whomever ) would be in playoffs against the teams that finished high in the lower division. It might open new markets, and it can help teams rebuild smarter with a taste of humility.

RealBronco
12-02-2008, 09:10 PM
as long as they act as a secondary league to the NFL, it could be good. also, if they would make a deal with the NFL to act as a developmental league, it could work out really, really well as the NFL will actually help them.

they already have a farm league. it's called college football ;) :salute!:

it's obviously workin' better than their other attempt, the NFL Europe garbage.

also this's the league Vick was talking about joining once he gets out of prison.

orangeblue72
12-02-2008, 09:17 PM
Los Angeles has had the Dons, the Rams, the Chargers, and the Raiders no one stayed. Home Depot just put a state-of-the-art soccer field for Chivas USA and the Galaxy and it is filled a lot. Salt Lake City just finished their state-of-the-art field for Real Salt Lake. In this crappy economy their is enough competing for your entertainment dollar why another league that will collapse against the NFL ? Seems they forgot that where there is no NFL there is NCAA and that has a following. Do they really believe that a game in Hartford in December will be a success ? The New York Jets, and the New York Giants play ion New Jersey could it be the taxes in NY keeping them away ? Good luck to them, I see them failing faster than the XFL.

CaptainBly
12-03-2008, 04:47 AM
This was supposed to start last August. Last I heard, Cuban was still the only owner they had. He's got other things to think about now, so this may never get off the ground.

HuskerBronco7
12-03-2008, 11:05 AM
i don't see this going anywhere unless they join with the NFL, and become a developmental league. If they try and compete, the NFL will crush them

tsiguy96
12-03-2008, 02:00 PM
i don't see this going anywhere unless they join with the NFL, and become a developmental league. If they try and compete, the NFL will crush them

they arent going to try to compete, no one will. i think they should join the NFL in such a way that they can seamlessly switch players back and forth, some can be sent down and others called up. that would be pretty interesting and if they make teh tickets cheap enough it could be intersting to go see.

Atwnbroncfan
12-03-2008, 02:31 PM

Not if they openly brodcast their games to everyone. If they dont place restrictions on who receives the game then the NFL could lose some fan base. Im moving to Utah next June and they are a potential market so id be happy with the chance to go see some live football.

Overtime
12-03-2008, 03:29 PM
they arent going to try to compete, no one will. i think they should join the NFL in such a way that they can seamlessly switch players back and forth, some can be sent down and others called up. that would be pretty interesting and if they make teh tickets cheap enough it could be intersting to go see.

so we'd have Triple A Football to look forward to every year???

:rockon:

great, so we get to continue to watch Chase Daniel stink it up every Sunday, or would it be Saturday? or what day would they play on?

Wonder if they'd take me...I wanna play. I can kick the ball. :D (Wonders if the coach would give me a bonus if I kicked Chase Daniels in the nuts on the PAT instead of kicking the ball....:laugh:)

Ravage!!!
12-03-2008, 03:35 PM
I hope this doesn't happen for a couple reasons.

One.... the reason football is SOOOOO much more popular than baseball, basketball and hockey...is because those seasons are WAAAyyyyy too long. People don't really pay attention to the records until late in the season. People get BORED of too much baseball and basketball.

Football is a short season. One time a week. People don't get bored.

Adding another league will not only weaken and thin out the NFL (as the USFL did).. but it will make to where there is just TOO much football. Yes, believe it or not.... there can be too much football.

This doesn't seem like it would ADD anything, and only take away from a great sport. Cuban and the others see CASH signs in their eyes because the sport is so popular, but this will be a bad thing for the NFL.

Ravage!!!
12-03-2008, 03:35 PM
so we'd have Triple A Football to look forward to every year???

:rockon:

great, so we get to continue to watch Chase Daniel stink it up every Sunday, or would it be Saturday? or what day would they play on?

Wonder if they'd take me...I wanna play. I can kick the ball. :D (Wonders if the coach would give me a bonus if I kicked Chase Daniels in the nuts on the PAT instead of kicking the ball....:laugh:)

what is your problem with Chase Daniels?? jeeeez

Overtime
12-03-2008, 03:42 PM
what is your problem with Chase Daniels?? jeeeez

oh just the fact that the little bastard is overrated, acts like a 2 year old when he loses, and when he beats some no name Southeastern Missouri State Team, or Nevada, or Buffalo, he talks like he's the best QB in college football, but yet he always fails to show up against Oklahoma, Texas, Oklahoma State, and in big important games. Not to mention the little S.O.B. is on the most overrated team in college football right now, and how the little S.O.B. failed to give any respect at all to Kansas after KU beat them last weekend...so I tend to have a little grudge as a Kansas fan, and wouldn't mind kicking the living piss out of the d**che bag.

orangeblue72
12-03-2008, 07:53 PM
I hope this doesn't happen for a couple reasons.

One.... the reason football is SOOOOO much more popular than baseball, basketball and hockey...is because those seasons are WAAAyyyyy too long. People don't really pay attention to the records until late in the season. People get BORED of too much baseball and basketball.

Football is a short season. One time a week. People don't get bored.

Adding another league will not only weaken and thin out the NFL (as the USFL did).. but it will make to where there is just TOO much football. Yes, believe it or not.... there can be too much football.

This doesn't seem like it would ADD anything, and only take away from a great sport. Cuban and the others see CASH signs in their eyes because the sport is so popular, but this will be a bad thing for the NFL.

Cuban is tied up in courts with insider trading so all that's left is a website where you can name the teams. I remember when Czonka and the rest went to the World League and after it collapsed a one year suspension for those that left the NFL as punishment. There are semi-pro teams they are off the radar, there are great amateur rugby clubs all over and Glendale, CO. just built a rugby field. NCAA is the developmental system for the NFL, but it is flawed in the draft. Montana was almost not drafted while who remembers Leaf, Shuler etc that were wasted picks. If they took some of the young players not ready for the pros but ready to leave college and created a league for them it could be good. Not going to happen but a thought. As for the long seasons, yeah it makes you lose interest fast until the playoffs loom.

RealBronco
12-03-2008, 08:50 PM
i mean i'm not saying i wouldn't be down for another league. i just don't have high hopes for it because they don't seem to last long.

i hope it does though, and i hope it doesn't suck... cuz more football is good by my book!

they need a summer league other than AFL so we have year-round football :D that'd be cool...

i mean i have to put up with freaking baseball most of the year since they play 700 games a year or whatever (exaggeration).... why not make people watch football all year :D

12-03-2008, 10:06 PM
oh just the fact that the little bastard is overrated, acts like a 2 year old when he loses, and when he beats some no name Southeastern Missouri State Team, or Nevada, or Buffalo, he talks like he's the best QB in college football, but yet he always fails to show up against Oklahoma, Texas, Oklahoma State, and in big important games. Not to mention the little S.O.B. is on the most overrated team in college football right now, and how the little S.O.B. failed to give any respect at all to Kansas after KU beat them last weekend...so I tend to have a little grudge as a Kansas fan, and wouldn't mind kicking the living piss out of the d**che bag.

Uhh...wow. Okay. Between this, and the guy who said he wished Deion Sanders had succeeded in committing suicide, I've seen some pretty wild posts here in Broncos Country this week.

I don't know you, and I don't know Chase Daniel, but I'd put a $20 on him in that fight.

Anyway...a new league isn't going to beat the NFL, that's for sure. Arena League goes on year after year and nobody in America cares. CFL just had (right? :confused:) the Grey Cup and nobody in America (or Canada) cares. People here love the NFL, and to a lesser degree, college football. There's already plenty to go around. A new league, with Michael Vick or without, with big names out of college or without, isn't going to cut into the NFL's profit margin one single cent. Then it will fold after a season or two, and we'll have a vague memory of just another failed pro football promotion.