PDA

View Full Version : Afew interesting quotes from NFL GM's on San Diego

bronx_2003
12-06-2008, 08:07 PM
I was reading a piece on NFL.com the other day and there was an article on there about SD's problems. Some of the quotes I saw were from unnamed GM's. The piece is no longer on the front page so I can't copy and paste but the 2 I thought were interesting (from actual GM's remember) were these 2 -

1 - 'I saw the San Diego players against Denver in week 17 and they were stalking the sideline aggressively when the Denver players were being introduced, then through the game they started talking alot, frankly all this made them look rather silly and you could tell that if this team hit any adversity then they would go south real fast'

2 - 'SD players tend to think that they are alot better then they are, alot of them think they are stars when in reality alot of them are just average players'

Not exact quotes but near enough, it seems that SD don't just annoy Denver but the rest of the league as well and we are'nt the only one's who think they are too arrogant for there own good.

Hoserman117
12-06-2008, 08:59 PM
I love the second quote the most haha

broncolee
12-07-2008, 02:16 AM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d80d07a7a&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

Why San Diego has been anything but charged up this season
By Thomas George | NFL.com
Senior Columnist

A year after going to the AFC Championship, the Chargers have been left to wonder what happened to their season.

If Marty Schottenheimer could return as San Diego Chargers coach for one game, this is it. Schottenheimer made a career of blasting the Raiders. He won 27 of 34 games against them.

"No, no," Schottenheimer said, chuckling. "Those days are past."

But the present state of the Chargers is hard-luck, underachieving and full of confusion with a 4-8 record.

"Not for the life of me can I figure out what is going on," Schottenheimer said of the Chargers, the team he coached to a 14-2 record before being fired after the 2006 season, a team that achieved an 11-5 record and AFC Championship Game appearance in coach Norv Turner’s first year of replacing Schottenheimer only to spiral into futility this season.

Meeting Oakland Thursday night in San Diego (NFL Network, 8 p.m. ET) gives the Chargers a chance to begin a final, four-game winning streak, finish 8-8 and hope the AFC West-leading Denver Broncos (7-5) collapse.

"I’ve seen most of their games," Schottenheimer said of the Chargers. "Honestly, I feel bad for some of those guys. LaDainian Tomlinson is taking so much of the blame. I don’t like that. This is a team that has a heavy spotlight on them, including tonight. And when it is on you like that, you have to perform. And when you don’t, you are subject to all of the second-guessing in the world. I expect them to beat the Raiders at home. Of course, I expected them to beat Atlanta at home last week."

The Chargers are 1-5 in their last six games. They own a minus-2 turnover differential. They rank 26th in rushing (93.4 yards per game). Their 23 sacks on defense rank 18th in the league and trail Pittsburgh’s league-most by 19. They rank 31st in pass defense (260.6 yards per game). Only once this season in 12 games has a Chargers wide receiver led all pass catchers in receiving yards.

Several Chargers players, coaches and league personnel executives, requesting anonymity, focused on these areas as the core of the Chargers’ woes:

The loss of Shawne Merriman
He was injured (knee) and out after the season opener and the Chargers defense lost plenty of its bite with this loss. The consensus on Merriman is that he made everyone on the Chargers defense better.

"When I coached Derrick Thomas in Kansas City," said Schottenheimer, "I learned that it wasn't so much his sacks made, but the fact that he had two people blocking him on nearly every play. That softens things up for everyone else. Heck, everyone has injuries. Look at the Giants. It can’t be that huge of an excuse for the Chargers. It’s a factor, but there’s something else."

The season's start
The Chargers opened with a 26-24 loss at home against Carolina and then went to Denver and lost 39-38 in a game where an official’s late call on a Jay Cutler fumble/passing play proved incorrect and costly.

"They lost those early tough games and sometimes that gives you the mindset of 'Oops, here we go again,'" Schottenheimer said. "Every time something goes wrong, they look like they think backward."

LT and the running game

This is the first season since LaDainian Tomlinson's rookie year that the Chargers don't rank among the top 10 in the NFL in rushing.

Chargers' running game (since 2001)
Year Tomlinson Team Rank (YPG)
2008 794 1,121 26th
2007 1,474 2,039 7th
2006 1,815 2,578 2nd
2005 1,462 2,072 9th
2004 1,335 2,185 6th
2003 1,645 2,146 6th
2002 1,683 2,137 8th
2001 1,236 1,695 20th
"I know that Norv likes to run the ball," Schottenheimer said. "He is getting criticized for not running it enough, but Norv’s personality is to run it and control the line of scrimmage."

The running game, however, has not clicked for the Chargers and league personnel executives say the loss of two players in the offseason immensely hurt San Diego's ground game.

"Michael Turner was a breath of fresh air for that running game and for LT and since he’s gone off to Atlanta, they miss that," a current NFL general manager said. "But the bigger loss to me is fullback Lorenzo Neal to Baltimore. The way he blocked for LT was crucial. He’s a big-league blocker and they had worked together for awhile. There was confidence in each other there. They knew each other. They knew if one did this, the other did that and played off it. Things like that, people underestimate."

Maturity/Discipline
Many people in the league remember the Broncos' 23-3 Christmas Eve loss at San Diego last season, a game in which several Chargers stalked the Denver sideline during player introductions and challenged the Broncos in a taunting fashion.

One NFL personnel executive said: "They looked silly, like the old University of Miami teams. You could tell with that kind of attitude that given adversity, that team would likely go south. I didn’t see a lot of character there or class. I do not think that would have happened with Marty Schottenheimer as coach."

Player talent/attitudes
It has been a given that the Chargers are one of the most talented teams in the league. But several coaches and general managers who have battled them this year said that assessment is overblown.

"A lot of those players over there believe they are really, really good – they aren’t," one general manager said. "Not true at all."

And a Chargers assistant coach added: "There is so much money involved with today’s NFL players. A lot of self-motivated players make it work. But money and contract status motivates some players differently. When you get paid this kind of money to do your job, the motivation has to come from you first. Some of them know they can’t be immediately replaced due to cap hits. The whole thing ties together. It’s disappointing sometimes the lack of motivation I see."

Thus, a portion of the ingredients that make the Chargers 4-8.

"When it comes right down to it," said Schottenheimer, "they need to get this victory."

CTM
12-07-2008, 02:19 AM
1 - 'I saw the San Diego players against Denver in week 17 and they were stalking the sideline aggressively when the Denver players were being introduced, then through the game they started talking alot, frankly all this made them look rather silly and you could tell that if this team hit any adversity then they would go south real fast'

2 - 'SD players tend to think that they are alot better then they are, alot of them think they are stars when in reality alot of them are just average players'

Damn. I... damn!

Some major Pwnage going on right there.

SD might want some LOTION FOR THAT BURN!!!:laugh::laugh:

Ahhh... I crack myself up.

Fat Joe
12-07-2008, 08:48 AM
The article makes much more sense then the two quotes. For future reference, dont bother posting quotes like that without an article. They seemed a bit outlandish at first and without the rest of the article to see what context they're in, its difficult to digest them. And we havent played the Chargers week 17 since 2005, so yea.

Chris Wade
12-07-2008, 10:49 AM
The article makes much more sense then the two quotes. For future reference, dont bother posting quotes like that without an article. They seemed a bit outlandish at first and without the rest of the article to see what context they're in, its difficult to digest them. And we havent played the Chargers week 17 since 2005, so yea.

Better to have tried and failed than to never have tried at all. And look how good he made Broncolee look