PDA

View Full Version : morten andersen retires officially

saltybuggah
12-08-2008, 10:19 AM
Kicker Morten Andersen (http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/8911958?MSNHPHMA), the NFL's career-leading scorer, is retiring because of knee problems.

The 48-year-old Dane, who scored 2,437 points during his 25-year career, played for the Atlanta Falcons the past two seasons but wasn't able to get a contract this year. Andersen said Monday he has given up his search and his NFL career.

"I realized I no longer can train in an optimal way because of my knees," Andersen told The Associated Press in a phone interview. "So I am retiring."

Andersen said that his knees were worn out after so many years as a professional player.

"It's not that I cannot kick, play golf or go bicycling, but it's not the same anymore," he said.

Andersen said that being a member of the Falcons when the team reached the Super Bowl in 1999 "was the culmination. It was the pinnacle of my career."

The Falcons advanced to their only Super Bowl after the 1998 season when Andersen's 38-yard field goal beat the Minnesota Vikings in the NFC title game. Atlanta lost the Super Bowl to the Denver Broncos.:salute!:

He kicked for five NFL teams in 25 years, including 13 seasons for the New Orleans Saints, eight for the Falcons, two for the Kansas City Chiefs and one season each with the New York Giants and the Vikings.

A Copenhagen native, Andersen went to the United States in 1977 as an exchange student and played at Michigan State.

He said he decided to announce his retirement in Denmark because of the support he has received at home. Although the NFL gets modest coverage in the Scandinavian country, Andersen's record-breaking career has been a top sports story in Danish media.

one of the best kickers to play the game...

best of luck to ya morten in the future

im sure the hall of fame will be knocking soon :salute!:

ebsoria
12-08-2008, 10:33 AM
Wow... I just can't see an NFL withouth Mort since he's been kicking it my whole life. Good luck outside of football Mort!!! :salute!:

Nick
12-08-2008, 10:47 AM
Want he already retired? :huh:

Thrasher
12-08-2008, 02:54 PM
:salute!: to the best European to ever play the game

slostenracing
12-08-2008, 03:03 PM
Lions will sign him before season end, they seem to be collecting has beens. :P

orangeblue72
12-09-2008, 08:11 AM
Based on the Danish domestic league in association football ( soccer ), he made more money and got further in his career playing in the NFL here in the states. Jan Steneruud, I remember him playing here instead of his home country the Netherlands. The NFL is still a good paying job compared to some other sports and when we are not in economic stress that US dollar is pretty good to have. Andersen was a great kicker very consistent but his knees are going so he's wise in seeking retirement rather than being in denial like some QB's-----Brett hello Brett ?