PDA

View Full Version : Chargers game time changed due to "Flex"

bry422
12-09-2008, 12:56 PM
Some good news. Yeah, yeah, I hear ya. Denver can't count on SD losses, but if all else fails.... the SD/TB has been moved from a Sunday night start to a 1PM EST start (the whole "west coast team traveling to play a 1PM east coast game" deal)

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3757397

BroncoKing
12-09-2008, 01:02 PM
Some good news. Yeah, yeah, I hear ya. Denver can't count on SD losses, but if all else fails.... the SD/TB has been moved from a Sunday night start to a 1PM EST start (the whole "west coast team traveling to play a 1PM east coast game" deal)

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3757397

Very interesting. I do not approve of moving times around unless it is 100% necessary.

slostenracing
12-09-2008, 01:07 PM
This freaking sucks, they moved Vikings to afternoon game so that's just one more chance the Bills/Broncos game I'll be at won't be played back here at home. :fight:

Moving four games is ridiculous. :rolleyes:

jdubv724
12-09-2008, 01:17 PM
That is great news. The Charger have played really well during primetime games this season.

SuperCaliBronco
12-09-2008, 01:17 PM
This freaking sucks, they moved Vikings to afternoon game so that's just one more chance the Bills/Broncos game I'll be at won't be played back here at home. :fight:

Moving four games is ridiculous. :rolleyes:

Without having to look at any online TV guide, I can tell that the chances of the Bills/Broncos game being shown in much of SoCal has just dropped all the way down to 0%. :(

troylightfoot
12-09-2008, 01:46 PM
dude, get nfl ticket. or go to bar if you can't get it. been doing that for YEARS before i got ticket.

Ravage!!!
12-09-2008, 01:48 PM
No big deal. Of course they moved it. Its a weak sunday for games when they have to put the chargers on a sunday night game. No big deal.

We take care of our own business, let them handle theirs,

slostenracing
12-09-2008, 03:12 PM
No big deal. Of course they moved it. Its a weak sunday for games when they have to put the chargers on a sunday night game. No big deal.

We take care of our own business, let them handle theirs,

Uh....Chargers got flexed FROM being the Sunday Night game. Seeing as the schedule is made before the season them being in the Sunday Night game has nothing to do with a weak Sunday for games.

DarrentCB27
12-09-2008, 04:19 PM
That is great news. The Chargers have played really well during primetime games this season.

I can't remember who wrote this, but one of NFL.com's reporters compiled the statistics for Chargers, Raiders, 49ers, Seahawks, Cardinals, and Broncos wins and losses for 1:00, 4:00, and night games over a certain period of time. That study revealed yes, a three-hour difference does affect the west coast team when it plays at 1:00, but not so much at 8:30 as at 4:00. Although we were mentioned in the article, it was mostly about the five teams that have a three hour difference (Seattle, San Francisco, Oakland, San Diego, and Arizona part of the season), and only when they went to the Eastern time zone, not when teams were in the Central time zone (only two hours away). I agree it is a big deal when a team loses two or three hours and must play at 1:00.

UberBroncoMan
12-09-2008, 04:46 PM
I can just see the Chargers forum now...

"The NFL is conspiring against us! They know that west coast teams have a harder time playing earlier. They just want the Donks to get into the playoffs without having to play us. I hate the NFL, forget this guys, I'm done with this team and the NFL!"

They have so many conspiracy theorists over there it's depressing... and what I said isn't even close to as stupid as what a lot of them blame their season on.

orangeblue72
12-09-2008, 11:45 PM
1. They only have to play one game a week.
2. They only have to travel within continental 48.
3. They get paid and have chances at bonuses in pay.
4. They are more than welcome to see how it is in the " real world " of work.
5. They work for only 60 minutes.
6. They have at least one week off during the season.
7. They only play 16 games.

Seems to me that if they want to whine and cry about what they knew could and would most likely happen during any week of the season then they are pathetic. Three teams this year had their " byes " compromised due to a Hurricane that hit Houston, Denver has had one game change it's time. After the Chiefs beat or at least weaken the Chargers they will be buried in the swamps of Tampa Bay.

12-10-2008, 02:14 AM
1. They only have to play one game a week.

Sometimes they play on Sunday, and again on Thursday.

2. They only have to travel within continental 48.

What about those games in England?

3. They get paid and have chances at bonuses in pay.

Just like everybody else...

4. They are more than welcome to see how it is in the " real world " of work.

But they don't have to, or need to, because they can do things that "real world" people can't.

5. They work for only 60 minutes.

Even on Sundays, that isn't true. The games are like three hours long. Being in football shape also requires plenty of work that isn't on-camera.

7. They only play 16 games.

And the preseason games, and the playoffs, and the Pro Bowl...

Sorry, not trying to flame or pick on you, but I thought a lot of your list was unfair.

Anyhoo, the Chargers blow, hope Tampa beats their butt no matter what friggin' time it starts.

orangeblue72
12-10-2008, 07:32 AM
Sometimes they play on Sunday, and again on Thursday.
If a team should do that they will then follow up with a game on Sunday, so if the work week for the NFL is Sunday with games on Mondays and sometimes Thursdays it then goes back to Sunday. Whereas in UEFA Champions League and other multi-national competitions you will play mid-week then back on Saturday or Sunday for domestic competition. There are also matches during the week where the reserve squads play matches that count. This is soccer and rugby, I do not include hockey or basketball as they have way more than 16 games in a season. There are winter breaks for most european clubs but rugby plays on through the snow.

What about those games in England?
There was also one in Toronto but the teams received bonus pay for those. The England game counted but both teams got extra time off to help with the travel and adjustments. Whereas teams in Portugal will travel to Russia as an example and then back to Prtugal that weekend to play again.

Just like everybody else...
The only " bonuses " that rugby clubs pick up are points in domestic and international competition not so much pay like the NFL.

But they don't have to, or need to, because they can do things that "real world" people can't.
What happens if they get cut at any time in the season or pre-season ? When you hear overrated players whining about their team or their sport and you live paycheck to paycheck it kind of gets annoying.

Even on Sundays, that isn't true. The games are like three hours long. Being in football shape also requires plenty of work that isn't on-camera.
NFL 60 minutes with pauses for teams to reset formations, soccer two halves of 45 minutes with added on time for injuries or delays. Rugby two halves of 40 minutes with added on time for injuries or delays. With time outs, challenges and the clock stopping on plays going out of bounds or QB spiking the ball as well as TV timeouts it does drag the game far beyond it's 15-15-HT 20 HT-15-15.

And the preseason games, and the playoffs, and the Pro Bowl...
Regular season is 16 games the preseason only counts for those that are trying to make teams. The playoffs are a different situation they last as long as the team does and the Pro Bowl like any All Star game is a relaxed score fest.
Sorry, not trying to flame or pick on you, but I thought a lot of your list was unfair.No problem. The NFL both it's players and it's officials have it way easy compared to other contact sports.

Anyhoo, the Chargers blow, hope Tampa beats their butt no matter what friggin' time it starts.
I agree with you their. Tampa still has an outside shot at upsetting Carolina so they need the win. San DiegHO is 0 - 3 against the NFC South by the way whereas Denver is 3 - 0.