PDA

View Full Version : Sources: T.O.'s expressed resentment toward Romo

Ravage!!!
12-11-2008, 11:16 PM
Sources: T.O.'s expressed resentment toward Romo

According to multiple sources within the Dallas Cowboys, there is an emerging internal conflict involving three of the team's highest-profile stars.

As the preseason Super Bowl favorites struggle in the final month of the season to simply make the playoffs, wide receiver Terrell Owens has expressed resentment toward Tony Romo, apparently jealous of the quarterback's relationship with tight end Jason Witten.

Owens feels that Romo and Witten -- close friends and road roommates who came to Dallas in the same offseason -- hold private meetings in which they create plays the two will use in upcoming games without including Owens in the conversations, according to a source who speaks regularly with Owens' teammates. Owens believes these discussions have worked to his detriment as Romo seeks to deliver the ball to Witten regardless of whether Owens is open.

"I don't know anything about that," Wade Phillips said when asked about a possible rift at his news conference on Thursday.

"We've thrown for a lot of yards with a lot of players. One receiver is pretty close to 1,000 yards. ... There's no favoritism there, we are going to the guy that is going to be open."

Owens declined to discuss the situation on Thursday outside the Cowboys' locker room. As he walked toward the players' lounge at Valley Ranch, ESPN asked Owens if he would answer questions and he said, "Nope.''

Linebacker Bradie James acknowledged to ESPN that his status as one of the team captains has caused him to play a peacemaker role between Romo and Owens.

"Whenever the fire gets blazing, I know,'' James said. "Sometimes, I don't want to step on anybody's toes, but we all talk.

"It just is what it is ... It's just two different guys, two different personalities and they know what's at stake. They know that everybody needs them. And there's no dislike. It's just sometimes, not everybody is going to see eye to eye. That's what makes a football team.''

A current Cowboys player compared Owens' behavior to that which led to problems with his former quarterbacks, Jeff Garcia in San Francisco and Donovan McNabb in Philadelphia. Those failed relationships and problems with the head coaches and other teammates led to Owens' exile from those teams and made him available to Dallas owner Jerry Jones in 2006.

"He's insecure about it,'' the player said of Owens. "The thing that bothers me more than anything about this problem is that it's always something with him -- San Fran, Philly and here, always something. And he brings other people into it. You know, he talks to Sam Hurd and Roy Williams, who just got here and doesn't really know these guys. T.O. talks to him and so now he probably thinks Witten politics with Tony for the ball.

"That's so far from the truth. You think Tony is throwing to him because that's his buddy? His best buddy is Bobby Carpenter, and that's not helping him too much. It's crazy to think that, and I hate that he acts that way.''

Witten leads the Cowboys with 64 receptions to 55 for Owens, who has a team-high 848 receiving yards and nine touchdowns. According to one of the sources, Owens cannot fathom how Romo and offensive coordinator Jason Garrett justify the tight end having more catches than Owens even though the latter ranks among the most accomplished receivers in NFL history.

There has so far been no known confrontation between Romo and Owens, who have combined for 33 touchdowns since 2006, the most of any quarterback-receiver tandem in the NFL during that time. Romo has always been careful to make certain Owens felt appreciated so that he would compete hard and not cause the kind of upheaval he did with his previous teams.

Watch highlights from the Pittsburgh Steelers' 20-13 win over the Dallas Cowboys.
But one teammate suggested Romo is frustrated enough that he might initiate a different approach, although not the confrontational kind that some believe might solve the problem.

"To be completely honest, I just think Tony is over it, not like, 'Screw it.' But I think Tony is over the mind games,'' the player said. "It would help if Tony would stand up to him, but he would never do it. He does a great job of ignoring it and not letting it affect him, and that's why it has worked as good as it has. It's just hard. I think right now everybody is to the point where, 'We're going to need him, so let's not piss him off.'"

But Owens seems to be finding it increasingly difficult to conceal his irritation. Last week in Pittsburgh, on the first possession of the Cowboys' most important game of the season, a team source who reviewed the game tape said Romo threw an interception when Owens mysteriously failed to complete his route. Troy Polamalu intercepted the ball at the place where Romo expected Owens to be. Later in the half, Romo underthrew a pass for Owens that was intercepted by Ike Taylor and Owens gestured openly in Romo's direction as he walked toward the sideline that the ball should have been thrown further upfield.

But what upset Owens' teammates most of all was his response to the interception Romo threw on a pass intended for Witten that Deshea Townsend returned for the game-winning touchdown in a 20-13 defeat. Both the quarterback and tight end publicly accepted blame for the Cowboys' season-high fifth turnover. In contrast, Owens said the offense stunk, that the team can't win with turnovers like those and then suggested his defender was playing off in single coverage and that he was open but Romo decided to throw elsewhere on the fatal play.

On the sideline, Owens was seen yelling at a Cowboys assistant coach. In his news conference after the game, Owens implied that Romo's decision to throw to Witten was the wrong one, saying, "It's his job to go out there and assess what the defense is, and he made that decision.''

That incensed some Cowboys, one of whom said, "If you only knew all that guy does. It's gonna go down with him before it's all over with. He is unbelievable. Tough loss and he does that?''

Until then, Cowboys insiders considered Owens' most damaging behavior the interview he did with former Cowboys cornerback Deion Sanders on the NFL Network in which he suggested Dallas' offensive system under Garrett was responsible for his worst statistical season since his rookie year with the 49ers. Owens also hinted that Romo and the other Dallas quarterbacks who played when the starter was injured were not making getting him the ball a high enough priority. "I can't throw it and catch it,'' Owens said.

At least one prominent Cowboys player was displeased that the coaching staff responded to the criticism by seemingly placating Owens in that Sunday's game against San Francisco, allowing him enough opportunities that he posted his best statistical line as a Cowboy: seven catches for 213 yards, including a 75-yard TD.

"Well, T.O. got his way,'' the player said. "It never fails how we operate around here. Drives me crazy, but what can you do?''

Phillips justified Owens' argument by agreeing that getting him the ball needed to be the first offensive priority, and then owner Jerry Jones further empowered him by claiming he had no issue with anything Owens said in the interview.

Said another source: "What do you think he said after he complained about not getting the ball and then in the San Francisco game he gets 213? He said, 'Look. It works. The more hell I raise, the more I get what I want.'"

Owens in March signed a four-year contract extension worth $34 million, including a $12.9 million signing bonus to bind him to the Cowboys through the 2011 season.

When asked if Romo and Owens were all right together as the team prepares to play the defending Super Bowl champion New York Giants on Sunday, James said, "Yeah. It's gotta be. It better be.''

The latest controversy comes toward the end of a season that began with Owens saying in training camp that he shared a relationship with Romo that he never had with other quarterbacks with whom he played. That, Owens said, was because Romo knew he was the star of the Cowboys and was not threatened by Owens' status as were previous quarterbacks.

"I guess sometimes I've just been in situations where the quarterbacks felt like I was bigger than them,'' Owens said in July. "And, you know, that was never the case. I felt like whatever I did complemented the quarterback, whatever he did, vice versa. It's just been a situation where things happen, where things didn't work out.''

Ravage!!!
12-11-2008, 11:17 PM
Romo seemed equally at peace with Owens. "The thing about it is there's a genuine caring about each other. I actually want the guy to succeed. He works hard, he works his butt off. And he cares about the guys, so it's easy to root for a guy like that.

"It's important for us to be on the same page. It's important for us to care about the other one, just because our success is directly related. ... The thing you notice mostly about him is that he talks about 'team' a lot. He wants to win. He understands that, at this stage of his career, he's done all the things individually he can do. Now, it's just a matter of winning.''

Whether it is like that anymore -- and whether the Cowboys can achieve their own stated goals with the relationship between Owens and Romo and Witten being what it is now -- remains to be determined.

Since Romo became Dallas' starter, he has completed more passes to Witten than to Owens, 201-186, although Owens has significantly more yards and three times as many touchdowns.

"You really want to address it with him and say, "Are you serious? Let's cut the s---. But we're trying to win our way into the playoffs and, if something like that happened, if you backed him into a corner, he'd be pissed off and try to fight you or something,'' the current Cowboys player said. "So what do you do? Let it go? Then you're just like everybody else. If he's got a problem and he's upset, clear the air. He should know that everything we do on offense goes through him."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3763209

Ravage!!!
12-11-2008, 11:18 PM
a note in a picture from that article...

Mosley: Secret meeting

Cowboys wide receivers Terrell Owens, Roy Williams and Patrick Crayton requested and were granted a meeting with offensive coordinator Jason Garrett to express their concern that quarterback Tony Romo was relying too heavily on close friend and Pro Bowl tight end Jason Witten. blog.

Blog network: NFL Nation

Ravage!!!
12-11-2008, 11:20 PM
I just want to say to all the "Marshall is a bad seed" crowd out there. WHERE HAS MARSHALL done anything that has caused the locker room of OUR team to split like this.

Personally... I'm THANKFUL we have Marshall (the so-called and accused "problem") on our team instead of guys like, TO, Steve Smith, Johnson (cinco) and now Crotch-ery.

Owens has got to be the BIGGEST drama queen I've ever seen. He cant' be happy.... EVEr... unless he's causing drama and surrounded by it. He's so insecure, that he has to suggest the other teammates or conspiring against him???? :confused:

Terrell Owens, needs help. Match this type of behavior with his suicide attempt recently (last year) and we have a guy that is showing some serious evidence of some psychological depressive issues. Delusions of Grandeur is one thing, but this is different. He's a serious problem and I'm THRILLED we dont have a single player on the roster anything like him.

LordTrychon
12-11-2008, 11:26 PM
I just want to say to all the "Marshall is a bad seed" crowd out there. WHERE HAS MARSHALL done anything that has caused the locker room of OUR team to split like this.

Personally... I'm THANKFUL we have Marshall (the so-called and accused "problem") on our team instead of guys like, TO, Steve Smith, Johnson (cinco) and now Crotch-ery.

Owens has got to be the BIGGEST drama queen I've ever seen. He cant' be happy.... EVEr... unless he's causing drama and surrounded by it. He's so insecure, that he has to suggest the other teammates or conspiring against him???? :confused:

Terrell Owens, needs help. Match this type of behavior with his suicide attempt recently (last year) and we have a guy that is showing some serious evidence of some psychological depressive issues. Delusions of Grandeur is one thing, but this is different. He's a serious problem and I'm THRILLED we dont have a single player on the roster anything like him.

I didn't read the whole thing... but wow.

Yeah... Marshall hasn't done anything yet to deserve the criticisms he gets. Besides all the shirtless photos on his site. Obviously still single. :rolleyes: :laugh:

What did Cotchery do?

Ravage!!!
12-11-2008, 11:39 PM
I didn't read the whole thing... but wow.

Yeah... Marshall hasn't done anything yet to deserve the criticisms he gets. Besides all the shirtless photos on his site. Obviously still single. :rolleyes: :laugh:

What did Cotchery do?

I can't remember the exact quote.... but basically throwing Brett Favre and the team under the bus and saying that he's not getting the ball enough..... something to that extent.

LordTrychon
12-11-2008, 11:42 PM
I can't remember the exact quote.... but basically throwing Brett Favre and the team under the bus and saying that he's not getting the ball enough..... something to that extent.

Figured.

I think I remember 'The Beast' mentioning that he was frustrated at his looks at one point last season... but he was never really detrimental IMO.

He has been clean all season as far as off the field as well. He's carrying himself well, and to date has said nothing but positive things about this franchise and his plans on remaining here and wanting to contribute.

I think he may be wearing a 'C' next year.

What a thug.

Overtime
12-11-2008, 11:53 PM
it's just a shame that the NFL allows players like Owens to act like this.

If I were at my job yelling and complaining at my boss like that, I'd be fired.

But no one but Andy Reid has had the balls to stand up to this little girl. That's all Owens is, is a little girl.

I didn't get the ball enough so we could win. waaaaaaa!!!

Romo threw to his best friend more than me. waaaaaaaaaaa!

Jason Garrett is to blame for the offense sucking....waaaaaaa!

It took long enough for it come out, but I knew this punk ass piece, had not changed.

Wade Phillips needs to grow some damn stones, grab Ownes by the shoulder pads, and say "you either knock the bs off, shut your hole and go out there and play football or I'll deactivate your ass for the rest of the season."

If I were a head coach I sure as hell wouldn't allow some snot nosed punk ass receiver to sit there and undermine my play calling, the decisions of his co-workers/teammates, and those of the offensive coordinator. I'd have fined his ass, and benched him.

why do these coaches tolerate this garbage? why does the NFL tolerate it?

I can't wait for the day TO retires, and hopefully he doesn't become an analyst, because I dont want to see this piece of **** anywhere near Pro Football after he retires...I hope he disappears never to be heard from again.

:fight::fight::fight: T.O. is the NFL's official Crybaby girl.

SBboundBRONCOS
12-11-2008, 11:57 PM

i think its fine if its warranted . . . a lot of those guys just want to win and when they dont even get the chance to help the team and they lose it pisses them off

but TO just doesnt know the facts, ed warner on ESPN just said TO had been targeted 87 times this year and witten 80 yet witten has 14 more catches

CoryWinget81
12-12-2008, 12:03 AM
If they were in the last game of the year, and they were in the playoffs, id throw the ball at him 50 times in one game. Be sure to hang him out and lead him over the middle so he can be exposed for what he really is.

12-12-2008, 01:30 AM
but TO just doesnt know the facts, ed warner on ESPN just said TO had been targeted 87 times this year and witten 80 yet witten has 14 more catches

That's because Romo and Witten hold secret meetings where they draw up plays and don't include TO :laugh:

orangeblue72
12-12-2008, 07:15 AM

I am concerned with Marshall's off-field antics, I hope he addresses them and learns to deal with them better. When I am critical of Marshall it's in the hopes that he does not fall off the edge and move towrds TO and Chad territory. This last game against the Chiefs I was impressed with Marshall, he worked hard and if things didn't work he got back to business, so perhaps he is turning the corner and learning from teammates and growing up. TO never will. He was critical of Rice in San Francisco, got a one year suspension in Philadelphia, and now that arrogant ass Parcels is gone he is shooting his mouth off in Dallas. It's like he keeps hanging himself and way too many put him on their shoulders so he never feels the burn of the rope. TO just finds everyone but himself to blame for Dallass' problems. So Marshall seems to be on his way to maturing and with his athletic, and natural abilities is becoming a better player day by day. Good thread.:salute!:

saltybuggah
12-12-2008, 08:27 AM
yeah he's definately has some sorta issues...

he could go down as the greatest receiver to play the game (just from his stats) and end up being in a mental ward after his career is over... he has issues with trust and thinks everyone is out to get him...

the cowboys KNEW EXACTLY WHAT THEY WERE GETTING AND THEY GOT IT... these issues with TO started out during his years in SF... this is nothing new and was bound to happen sooner or later...

He has been clean all season as far as off the field as well. He's carrying himself well, and to date has said nothing but positive things about this franchise and his plans on remaining here and wanting to contribute.

I think he may be wearing a 'C' next year.

well im happy with marshall... however, his biggest hurdle is yet to come... THE OFFSEASON... although i have the upmost confidence that Marshall will do the right thing, he needs to prove it during this years offseason... its easier sometimes to stay focused and free from trouble during the season than it is during the offseason, imo...

hopefully Marshall will continue to stay on the right path and tear up the field for us for years to come...

As for Wade Phillips needing to step in and control TO, possibly bench him and fine him.... NO WAY WILL HE DO THAT... its Wade "I HAVE MY REPLACEMENT HEAD COACH ON THE SAME SIDELINES EACH AND EVERY WEEK" Phillips... that guy...

Wade is screwed... he cant bench TO without the approval of Jerry... good luck with that... all that Jerry cares about is winning at any cost... he would never allow Wade to bench TO... TO is too much of a value (on the field) for Jerry to try and tick him off even more...

guarantee that this weekends game TO will have more passes thrown his way than in any other game he played this year... he will get his way and that decision will come from Jerry himself...

the guy is a cancer to every team he plays on... the cowboys will deal with him the only way they know how.. and that is to get him the ball and shut him up

slostenracing
12-12-2008, 08:40 AM

He was doing that pre-season from the minute he heard Favre was going there. Him and Favre had some grudge or something going that was a big deal in the off season and sports shows were saying Favre would be throwing to others before choosing Cotch.

As for the story, Super Bowl favorites? :confused: I thought that was the Chargers on most peoples list. I don't recall ever hearing Cowboys.

draco193
12-12-2008, 09:56 AM
As for the story, Super Bowl favorites? :confused: I thought that was the Chargers on most peoples list. I don't recall ever hearing Cowboys.

For the NFC they were definitley the favorites.

Team Obliterator was just waiting for his chance to strike, and hes taken it now that the Cowboys are basically twisting in the wind.

slostenracing
12-12-2008, 10:04 AM
For the NFC they were definitley the favorites.

Team Obliterator was just waiting for his chance to strike, and hes taken it now that the Cowboys are basically twisting in the wind.

Maybe after Osi went out. A lot of sports people were riding the Giants coat tails to another Super Bowl appearance in the NFC. Either way whoever picked the Cowboys was an idiot and he's sucking it up like EVERYONE who picked the Chargers. :salute!:

str8jacket
12-12-2008, 04:08 PM
T.O.

is a chode.

PowderAddict
12-12-2008, 04:16 PM
:laugh:

Maybe he'd get more balls thrown his way if he didn't give up on routes leading to INT's!

str8jacket
12-12-2008, 04:17 PM
Thats my teammate.

Thats my quarterback.

Chode.

Peerless
12-12-2008, 04:49 PM
T.O is a flippin' idiot.

Maybe Witten should get jealous at Owens because TO gets a higher % of balls thrown his way...:rolleyes:

saphire1
12-12-2008, 04:53 PM
man, what a cancer. i would hate if he's on this team and he does that to jay...

but at least it seems like jay has the balls to call out people. he certainly did a lot of that with marsh. so i guess jay wouldn't probably just sit down and ignore a cancer like t.o.

stnzed
12-12-2008, 05:07 PM
As much as I love to rip on Ole B.O, I just can't do it anymore, the dude has severe mental problems.

Good luck to you, Stench, I hope you can ruin as many teams as it takes to keep you from hurting yourself.......

LarryDean
12-12-2008, 06:24 PM
When it gets HOF ballot time... I dont care what his stats are I dont know how anyone could vote him into the hall...

The guy plays right into the pre madonna espn soap opera junk that for whatever reason the general public buys into...It makes me sick and think ESPN's coverage of the NFL could not get any worse because of it..

I dont care what he is able to do on the field...How in the world could anyone if they was a Owner,GM,Coach,Player what him on the team....I cant wait for him to retire and go onto the next Espn spun story about players I and others should give two craps about...

stnzed
12-12-2008, 06:31 PM
When it gets HOF ballot time... I dont care what his stats are I dont know how anyone could vote him into the hall...

The guy plays right into the pre madonna espn soap opera junk that for whatever reason the general public buys into...It makes me sick and think ESPN's coverage of the NFL could not get any worse because of it..

I dont care what he is able to do on the field...How in the world could anyone if they was a Owner,GM,Coach,Player what him on the team....I cant wait for him to retire and go onto the next Espn spun story about players I and others should give two craps about...

The Pro Football Hall of Fame is an "Honor", I don't understand how you honor this Dooshbag.......

Ravage!!!
12-12-2008, 06:33 PM

The Pro Football Hall of Fame is an "Honor", I don't understand how you honor this Dooshbag.......

Couldn't agree more.....

LarryDean
12-12-2008, 06:45 PM

I have completely tuned this story out and do not really know the details..I refuse to buy into any of this garbage...The NFL is in its playoff stretch certain teams and players have done amazing things and I get this as football coverage...It kills me....

I cant believe I even wasted a few minutes of my time talking about a turd..

Ravage!!!
12-12-2008, 07:20 PM
I cant believe I even wasted a few minutes of my time talking about a turd..

Hey.. did someone say my name???? :(

LarryDean
12-12-2008, 07:42 PM
Hey.. did someone say my name???? :(

:nono:

I'm not sure about that one honestly :laugh:

I will say this though... Your opinions on football topics are about as good as they get...

I dont think you need anyone to glorify that for ya though..About all I can say other then that is

Thanks ...

broncsfan21
12-12-2008, 08:48 PM
I don't blame Romo for making plays with Witten. Witten has proven to be more reliable as far as getting first downs and holding on to the ball and such. TO is a great WR, but he is a B*tch. If he played with a QB that had some cahones then maybe he could get off his high horse. Tony should throw some ducks to ole number 81 on sunday. Or convince Leonard Davis that TO stole his lunch...

Drunk Bronco
12-12-2008, 09:08 PM
who gives a rats ass...this board is turning into gay espn

Broncosojia
12-12-2008, 09:21 PM
Sources: T.O.'s expressed resentment toward Romo

According to multiple sources within the Dallas Cowboys, there is an emerging internal conflict involving three of the team's highest-profile stars.

As the preseason Super Bowl favorites struggle in the final month of the season to simply make the playoffs, wide receiver Terrell Owens has expressed resentment toward Tony Romo, apparently jealous of the quarterback's relationship with tight end Jason Witten.

Owens feels that Romo and Witten -- close friends and road roommates who came to Dallas in the same offseason -- hold private meetings in which they create plays the two will use in upcoming games without including Owens in the conversations, according to a source who speaks regularly with Owens' teammates. Owens believes these discussions have worked to his detriment as Romo seeks to deliver the ball to Witten regardless of whether Owens is open.

"I don't know anything about that," Wade Phillips said when asked about a possible rift at his news conference on Thursday.

"We've thrown for a lot of yards with a lot of players. One receiver is pretty close to 1,000 yards. ... There's no favoritism there, we are going to the guy that is going to be open."

Owens declined to discuss the situation on Thursday outside the Cowboys' locker room. As he walked toward the players' lounge at Valley Ranch, ESPN asked Owens if he would answer questions and he said, "Nope.''

Linebacker Bradie James acknowledged to ESPN that his status as one of the team captains has caused him to play a peacemaker role between Romo and Owens.

"Whenever the fire gets blazing, I know,'' James said. "Sometimes, I don't want to step on anybody's toes, but we all talk.

"It just is what it is ... It's just two different guys, two different personalities and they know what's at stake. They know that everybody needs them. And there's no dislike. It's just sometimes, not everybody is going to see eye to eye. That's what makes a football team.''

A current Cowboys player compared Owens' behavior to that which led to problems with his former quarterbacks, Jeff Garcia in San Francisco and Donovan McNabb in Philadelphia. Those failed relationships and problems with the head coaches and other teammates led to Owens' exile from those teams and made him available to Dallas owner Jerry Jones in 2006.

"He's insecure about it,'' the player said of Owens. "The thing that bothers me more than anything about this problem is that it's always something with him -- San Fran, Philly and here, always something. And he brings other people into it. You know, he talks to Sam Hurd and Roy Williams, who just got here and doesn't really know these guys. T.O. talks to him and so now he probably thinks Witten politics with Tony for the ball.

"That's so far from the truth. You think Tony is throwing to him because that's his buddy? His best buddy is Bobby Carpenter, and that's not helping him too much. It's crazy to think that, and I hate that he acts that way.''

Witten leads the Cowboys with 64 receptions to 55 for Owens, who has a team-high 848 receiving yards and nine touchdowns. According to one of the sources, Owens cannot fathom how Romo and offensive coordinator Jason Garrett justify the tight end having more catches than Owens even though the latter ranks among the most accomplished receivers in NFL history.

There has so far been no known confrontation between Romo and Owens, who have combined for 33 touchdowns since 2006, the most of any quarterback-receiver tandem in the NFL during that time. Romo has always been careful to make certain Owens felt appreciated so that he would compete hard and not cause the kind of upheaval he did with his previous teams.

Watch highlights from the Pittsburgh Steelers' 20-13 win over the Dallas Cowboys.
But one teammate suggested Romo is frustrated enough that he might initiate a different approach, although not the confrontational kind that some believe might solve the problem.

"To be completely honest, I just think Tony is over it, not like, 'Screw it.' But I think Tony is over the mind games,'' the player said. "It would help if Tony would stand up to him, but he would never do it. He does a great job of ignoring it and not letting it affect him, and that's why it has worked as good as it has. It's just hard. I think right now everybody is to the point where, 'We're going to need him, so let's not piss him off.'"

But Owens seems to be finding it increasingly difficult to conceal his irritation. Last week in Pittsburgh, on the first possession of the Cowboys' most important game of the season, a team source who reviewed the game tape said Romo threw an interception when Owens mysteriously failed to complete his route. Troy Polamalu intercepted the ball at the place where Romo expected Owens to be. Later in the half, Romo underthrew a pass for Owens that was intercepted by Ike Taylor and Owens gestured openly in Romo's direction as he walked toward the sideline that the ball should have been thrown further upfield.

But what upset Owens' teammates most of all was his response to the interception Romo threw on a pass intended for Witten that Deshea Townsend returned for the game-winning touchdown in a 20-13 defeat. Both the quarterback and tight end publicly accepted blame for the Cowboys' season-high fifth turnover. In contrast, Owens said the offense stunk, that the team can't win with turnovers like those and then suggested his defender was playing off in single coverage and that he was open but Romo decided to throw elsewhere on the fatal play.

On the sideline, Owens was seen yelling at a Cowboys assistant coach. In his news conference after the game, Owens implied that Romo's decision to throw to Witten was the wrong one, saying, "It's his job to go out there and assess what the defense is, and he made that decision.''

That incensed some Cowboys, one of whom said, "If you only knew all that guy does. It's gonna go down with him before it's all over with. He is unbelievable. Tough loss and he does that?''

Until then, Cowboys insiders considered Owens' most damaging behavior the interview he did with former Cowboys cornerback Deion Sanders on the NFL Network in which he suggested Dallas' offensive system under Garrett was responsible for his worst statistical season since his rookie year with the 49ers. Owens also hinted that Romo and the other Dallas quarterbacks who played when the starter was injured were not making getting him the ball a high enough priority. "I can't throw it and catch it,'' Owens said.

At least one prominent Cowboys player was displeased that the coaching staff responded to the criticism by seemingly placating Owens in that Sunday's game against San Francisco, allowing him enough opportunities that he posted his best statistical line as a Cowboy: seven catches for 213 yards, including a 75-yard TD.

"Well, T.O. got his way,'' the player said. "It never fails how we operate around here. Drives me crazy, but what can you do?''

Phillips justified Owens' argument by agreeing that getting him the ball needed to be the first offensive priority, and then owner Jerry Jones further empowered him by claiming he had no issue with anything Owens said in the interview.

Said another source: "What do you think he said after he complained about not getting the ball and then in the San Francisco game he gets 213? He said, 'Look. It works. The more hell I raise, the more I get what I want.'"

Owens in March signed a four-year contract extension worth $34 million, including a $12.9 million signing bonus to bind him to the Cowboys through the 2011 season.

When asked if Romo and Owens were all right together as the team prepares to play the defending Super Bowl champion New York Giants on Sunday, James said, "Yeah. It's gotta be. It better be.''

The latest controversy comes toward the end of a season that began with Owens saying in training camp that he shared a relationship with Romo that he never had with other quarterbacks with whom he played. That, Owens said, was because Romo knew he was the star of the Cowboys and was not threatened by Owens' status as were previous quarterbacks.

"I guess sometimes I've just been in situations where the quarterbacks felt like I was bigger than them,'' Owens said in July. "And, you know, that was never the case. I felt like whatever I did complemented the quarterback, whatever he did, vice versa. It's just been a situation where things happen, where things didn't work out.''

Wow, and can you believe he was real close to signing with us just a few years ago.

str8jacket
12-12-2008, 10:50 PM

You must hate it that your boy sure is an ass.

Or the fact that this board is ragging on that jackass.

LordTrychon
12-12-2008, 10:55 PM

Just like ESPN... you can choose whether or not to turn it on...

Unlike ESPN... you don't have to go to every thread. It's like having an automatic mute and skip for parts that you don't like on ESPN.

Javalon
12-13-2008, 12:40 AM
I just love how Jerry Jones states that he has no problem with Owens whining to the media and yet Jones publicly criticizes the quiet but hard-nosed Marion Barber for not being tough (doesn't appreciate the pain of a toe injury, apparently).

Jones might now be as bad as Al Davis but he's certainly a pain in the arse as a team owner. The Cowboys are just a circus.

orangeblue72
12-13-2008, 01:13 PM
Both him and Portis have to wear snap-together shoulder pads to get them around their swollen heads. A typical TO Pass Pattern...go ten yards DUCK out of bounds. Anyone want to apologise for TO, needs to wake up. One appearance in the Super Bowl after missing the playoffs leading to that appearance, would that be a coiincidence TO not their in the games prior to the Super Bowl as a very serious distraction stifled to get to the " Big Show ". I hope the cowBOYS keep picking up these mental cases so that we can stop calling them " America's Team ".

Overtime
12-13-2008, 04:08 PM
Both him and Portis have to wear snap-together shoulder pads to get them around their swollen heads. A typical TO Pass Pattern...go ten yards DUCK out of bounds. Anyone want to apologise for TO, needs to wake up. One appearance in the Super Bowl after missing the playoffs leading to that appearance, would that be a coiincidence TO not their in the games prior to the Super Bowl as a very serious distraction stifled to get to the " Big Show ". I hope the cowBOYS keep picking up these mental cases so that we can stop calling them " America's Team ".

perfect time for a Mike Gundy parody.....:D

"T.O is garbage!!! And whoever created him is garbage. All he can do is whine and cry, and whoever allows him to act like that is garbage. Tony Romo is a man, but TO is garbage" It's time for Jerry Jones to pop his titty out T.O's mouth."

DrunkPanda
12-13-2008, 11:07 PM
I don't blame Romo for making plays with Witten. Witten has proven to be more reliable as far as getting first downs and holding on to the ball and such. TO is a great WR, but he is a B*tch. If he played with a QB that had some cahones then maybe he could get off his high horse. Tony should throw some ducks to ole number 81 on sunday. Or convince Leonard Davis that TO stole his lunch...

he HAS played with QBs that had cajones. jeff garcia and donovan mcnabb... he solved the problem by crying like a little baby until the team finally traded him so that he could get away from those big bad people who wouldn't put up with his temper tantrums

Drunk Bronco
12-13-2008, 11:56 PM
You must hate it that your boy sure is an ass.

Or the fact that this board is ragging on that jackass.brandon was my boy from day one...but I bet you were on javons ****,like all the others ragging on me about him...lol...you no whats up

Drunk Bronco
12-13-2008, 11:58 PM
Just like ESPN... you can choose whether or not to turn it on...

Unlike ESPN... you don't have to go to every thread. It's like having an automatic mute and skip for parts that you don't like on ESPN.screw t.o and espn, you too...I can't even go on there site anymore...becouse of the broke back cowboys....guess you love em...all my post are about hate