PDA

View Full Version : Who's the worst coach in the NFL?

Overtime
12-16-2008, 12:19 AM
Ok when I ask this, don't think about record as a factor. Factor in confidence, competence, common sense, intelligence and similar factors, history, habits, decision making, and play calling.

(do not include interim head coaches, ain't really fair to include them, they're just stepping in for the incompetently relieved).

Rank them from the Worst to the Best.

1. Herman Edwards (you listen to that man speak, and you're thinking, by god! He's not dumb...he's ****ing stupid!

2. Wade Phillips (he's holding on by a thread)

3. Rod Marinelli (better luck next time, just don't inherit the most hapless team in the NFL)

4. Romeo Crennel (who told you that you had head coaching talent?)

5. Marvin Lewis (go back to being a DC...you were better doing that)

6. Scott Linehan (fired already, was better offensive coordinator than head coach)

7. **** Jauron (buffoon)

8. Norv Turner (destroying great teams is what I do best)

9. Eric Mangini (if it weren't for Favre, they'd be sitting in the AFC East cellar right now)

10. Mike McCarthy (Favre was the reason for his success last year)

11. Sean Peyton (his playcalling is very questionable most of the time, has great talent, but doesn't know how to utilize it.)

12. John Harbaugh (this year is a fluke...IMO.)

13. Jim Zorn (jury is still out on him, but I'm not impressed)

14. Jack Del Rio (he's overrated, mediocre at best.)

15. Lane Kiffin (fired already, but I think he's better than he got credit for, he inherited a trash team, run by a trash owner, and didn't get a fair shake.)

16. Ken Whisenhunt (questionable, we'll see how next year goes, NFC West is extremely weak this year)

17. Mike Tomlin (**** LeBeau's defense makes Tomlin successful).

18. Brad Childress (shaky, but improving)

19. Mike Nolan (fired already, i think he's better than we were led to believe during his time in San Fransissyco)

20. Mike Smith (hell of a job for his rookie year, but a lot remains to be seen, but I like what I've seen.)

21. Tom Coughlin (I don't like him, but his team is damn good, and he is the coach after all, and it all starts with the coach, I still think his Super Bowl last year was a fluke.)

22. John Gruden (we've known he's good, he just has trouble finding the right quarterback down there in Tampa)

23. Gary Kubiak (he's better than he's shown, hasn't exactly had the talented players he needs to put it all together).

24. Tony Sporano (very creative and innovative play calling, he has the tools to be good, I like his ingenuity).

25. Mike Holmgren (retiring at seasons end, but he'll be back, he can't stay away from the game, and he's too good (if he had a real quarterback).

26. Andy Reid (terrible coaching job this year, but he gets a mulligan for 3 consecutive NFC Championship Appearance, and a Super Bowl appearance)

27. John Fox (had a few tough years, but turns out some tough Panthers teams)

28. Lovie Smith (has done a pretty good job with Da Bears)

29. Jeff Fisher (one of the best in the game)

30. Mike Shanahan (still one of the best in the game)

31. Tony Dungy (he's done a hell of a job at Indy, no denying that)

32. Bill Belichick (his success speaks for itself, but his ability to manage a team when he loses half the roster to injury is phenomenal)

12-16-2008, 02:23 PM
-IMO-

Herm, Crennel, Mangini, Norv, Wade, and McCarthy are all pretty lousy. Everyone else I at least find competent. Although Brad Childress is teetering...

GridironChamp
12-16-2008, 02:29 PM
Well Jim Zorn claims to be... :smug:

Spyder
12-16-2008, 02:59 PM
Dean Spanos?

Isn't that dude an owner?

Overtime
12-16-2008, 03:14 PM
Dean Spanos?

Isn't that dude an owner?

I don't know why I said Dean Spanos, but I meant to say Tony Sporano...lol.

good eye. I went back and fixed it.

AznBroncoFan
12-16-2008, 08:57 PM
Rod MORONelli....easy one. The record speaks for itself. No other explanation needed. :D

orangeblue72
12-17-2008, 06:55 AM
I have a few things to point out on some of your coaches...

3. Rod Marinelli - that is actually the owner and the rich history of failure. Rod's a horrible coach, but the Lions are a failed franchise.

10. Mike McCarthy - Favre never let Rogers play and now we see what happens when you build around an ego.

13. Jim Zorn - first year and has the TO of running backs to contend with.

14. Jack Del Rio - good linebacker in his day, was doing a good job but team is not responding anymore.

18. Brad Childress - has the best RB in the game, no QB and not all Vikings fans are confident in him. On a side note the defense is improving by leaps and bounds.

21. Tom Coughlin -" I still think his Super Bowl last year was a fluke." No it wasn't, Tom Brady thinks he is bulletproof and when you are protected all year and that protection is disrupted and with Brady's ego, took them out of it big time. You want a " fluke " Super Bowl with the Patriots look at 2001 finale.

22. John Gruden - inherited Tony Dungee's team and beat the team that he built. Since that " Super Bowl " nothing, showing what happens when you inherit winning teams and can't build your own.

Tony Dungee from being a great defensive coordinator with the Vikings to building the Tampa Bay Bucs up to winning a Super Bowl to finally taking one with Indianapolis he is quickly becoming a legend.

As angry as I get with Shanahan for his draft blunders ( ie; Clarett now in jail ), he is one of the sharpest for scouting out raw talent. 06 and 07 crop are some of the best in the league. He has been here 14 years that is a lot longer than some, like John Ralston, " Red " Miller, and Dan Reeves to name a few.

What the league is sadly missing is Bud Grant. No one celebrated anything on the field until the final whistle blew, no high-fiving each other over tackles or hits just work work work. Despite losing four Super Bowls, he took a team that was going nowhere and turned them into a force to be reckoned with, there are way too many from the Bud Grant era that will not be in the Hall Of Fame but should be.

Another one I miss is George Allen with the Redskins. His " over the hill " gang were fun to watch and worked hard to win.

There are too many teams producing lackluster results see especially NFC West where the Cards might end up 8 - 8, or the AFC West where a 2 game lead doesn't clinch it either.

CanDB
12-17-2008, 08:36 AM
I think whoever takes over the coaching reins of the Oakland Raiders is destined to be the worst coach in the NFL. Once you sign on the dotted line, you are no longer the real coach, but merely someone who tries to do your job the way you think it should be done....instead you are undermined, overruled, left out of key decision-making, and left helpless to fend your coaching process against an organization that hardly listens. So in fact, whether your name is Dungy, Belichick, Shanny, Smith, Coughlin or Vince Lombardi, you are no longer yourself if you become the Raider coach. You are the worst coach in the NFL!

Flatlander Fan
12-17-2008, 11:00 AM
Wade Phillips. What a loser.

Canadian_Fan
12-17-2008, 11:04 AM
well according to alot of people on this board....Shanahan is

paper tiger
12-26-2008, 09:40 PM
I knew Gruden would be on the list.
Seriously we all know Dungy deserves the credit for getting the Bucs to their SuperBowl. Gruden hasn't showed us anything since then, he just took what was already molded for him and just added his signature.

LordTrychon
12-26-2008, 09:54 PM
I knew Gruden would be on the list.
Seriously we all know Dungy deserves the credit for getting the Bucs to their SuperBowl. Gruden hasn't showed us anything since then, he just took what was already molded for him and just added his signature.

To be fair... there were 32 names on the list... you do the math. ;)

paper tiger
12-26-2008, 09:56 PM
To be fair... there were 32 names on the list... you do the math. ;)

lol well to defend myself I just typed "Command - F" typed in "Gruden" saw him listed @ 22. and didn't bother to go any further. But yes I know there are 32 teams in the NFL.