PDA

View Full Version : Browns fire Savage after loss to Steelers

Overtime
12-28-2008, 06:05 PM
Browns owner Randy Lerner fired Browns General Manager Phil Savage following Sunday's loss to the Steelers. Browns coach Romeo Crennel will learn his fate later on this week.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d80db18a6&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

Phil Savage has been fired as general manager of the Cleveland Browns after four seasons, a team official confirmed Sunday night to NFL Network's Adam Schefter.

Gregory Shamus / Getty Images
Phil Savage brought talent to Cleveland, but not a playoff appearance.

The Browns will announce the move officially Monday, reports Schefter. It's the same day coach Romeo Crennel is scheduled to meet with team owner Randy Lerner.

Crennel is expected to be dismissed at that meeting. Crennel, who was hired shortly after Savage, is 24-40 in four seasons in Cleveland. He dropped to 0-8 against Pittsburgh after the Browns were blanked 31-0 by the Steelers in their season finale.

Savage, who joined the Browns in 2005, had four years left on a contract extension he signed in May.

Savage's ouster is the first move in what promises to be a busy offseason for Lerner.

Lerner was not happy with Savage's overall management this season, which began with the Browns expecting to make the playoffs after going 10-6 in 2007. While Savage was able to significantly upgrade Cleveland's talent during his tenure -- the Browns had six Pro Bowlers last season after having had none since 2002 -- he seemed to mishandle several situations.

First, he put added pressure on Cleveland's coaching staff by declaring the team's Week 2 matchup with the Steelers as "a critical game" and "the biggest in my time here." He also got into an ugly exchange with tight end Kellen Winslow over the player's hospitalization for a staph infection and later embarrassed the Browns by sending a profane e-mail to a fan following a win over Buffalo.

The e-mail may have been the final straw for Lerner, who is expected to make a strong push for former Pittsburgh Steelers coach Bill Cowher. Although Cowher has given no indications he's ready to return to coaching, Lerner may be able to sweeten the pot by offering him full control of Cleveland's football operations now that Savage is gone.

Lerner, too, may try to bring in New England vice president Scott Pioli to run his football operation.

getlynched47
12-28-2008, 06:05 PM
:rolleyes: and now that you posted that info....here come the "should we get Savage?"

;)

Overtime
12-28-2008, 06:09 PM
:rolleyes: and now that you posted that info....here come the "should we get Savage?"

;)

dear lord in heaven I hope not. I don't want that sad sack of crap anywhere near this organization. although I wouldn't mind having Crennel as our next defensive coordinator. Romeo's a good DC, just not a good head coach.

getlynched47
12-28-2008, 06:11 PM
dear lord in heaven I hope not. I don't want that sad sack of crap anywhere near this organization. although I wouldn't mind having Crennel as our next defensive coordinator. Romeo's a good DC, just not a good head coach.

i dont want Romeo Crennel....he's a 3-4 defensive coach...and I don't see the Broncos as a 3-4 team :salute!:

Passepartout
12-28-2008, 08:29 PM
Wouldn't surprise me if, Crennel followed!

Charlie Brown
12-28-2008, 09:04 PM
Horrible move by Lerner.

Savage is a very good GM and brought in a lot of talent to the team.

Now all the media is claiming he wants to bring in a Steeler. Yea, just what every Browns fan wants - a Steeler running the team.

Skywalker
12-28-2008, 09:21 PM
Crennel is who should've gone, not Savage. Just Crennel. I think the Browns will regret this....

TonyGFortheTD
12-28-2008, 10:16 PM
Horrible move by Lerner.

Savage is a very good GM and brought in a lot of talent to the team.

Now all the media is claiming he wants to bring in a Steeler. Yea, just what every Browns fan wants - a Steeler running the team.

I agree completely. This is a huge step back for the Browns. Too much being hinged on hoping that the chin may consider going back to Cleveland for 5 mins.

Overtime
12-30-2008, 10:23 AM
Crennel is who should've gone, not Savage. Just Crennel. I think the Browns will regret this....

You know I thought Crennel sucked as a head coach, but now I have to seriously wonder if he was the problem in Cleveland.

I was listening to NFL KICK on Sirius Radio this morning with Randy Cross, Bob Poppa, and Peter King, and when Crennel was hired as head coach, he wasn't allowed to hire his own staff. Savage picked and hired his D-Coord, O-Cord, and Special Teams coach, and made the draft selections. Crennel had no say in anything they did. They totally tied Crennel's hands in Cleveland, and then when it all failed, the owner fired Savage and fired Crennel and used them both as scapegoats.

Makes me wonder, how successful Crennel might have really been if he'd been able to call the shots like a head coach should, and it also makes me wonder, is this the same thing that happened to Bill Belichick when he was the coach in Cleveland? and is this why Belichick failed in Cleveland during his first coaching stint?

Charlie Brown
12-30-2008, 04:54 PM
You know I thought Crennel sucked as a head coach, but now I have to seriously wonder if he was the problem in Cleveland.

I was listening to NFL KICK on Sirius Radio this morning with Randy Cross, Bob Poppa, and Peter King, and when Crennel was hired as head coach, he wasn't allowed to hire his own staff. Savage picked and hired his D-Coord, O-Cord, and Special Teams coach, and made the draft selections. Crennel had no say in anything they did. They totally tied Crennel's hands in Cleveland, and then when it all failed, the owner fired Savage and fired Crennel and used them both as scapegoats.

Makes me wonder, how successful Crennel might have really been if he'd been able to call the shots like a head coach should, and it also makes me wonder, is this the same thing that happened to Bill Belichick when he was the coach in Cleveland? and is this why Belichick failed in Cleveland during his first coaching stint?

Not true whatsoever.

Peter King talking smack.

If Crennel had no power whatsoever, why did he hire his son as secondary coach? If Crennel had no power whatsoever, why was he calling the defensive plays? If Crennel had no power whatsoever, why was Crennel and Savage in communication over the draft picks? Utter BULL by the media.

Overtime
12-30-2008, 10:43 PM
Not true whatsoever.

Peter King talking smack.

If Crennel had no power whatsoever, why did he hire his son as secondary coach? If Crennel had no power whatsoever, why was he calling the defensive plays? If Crennel had no power whatsoever, why was Crennel and Savage in communication over the draft picks? Utter BULL by the media.

I don't know all the specifics, but I've found Peter King to be a highly credible reporter, and there hasn't been much I've ever read or heard from him that wasn't true.

I'm not saying Crennel was completely hog tied, but if he wasn't allowed to bring his O-Coord and D-Coord, then he was setup to fail regardless of him hiring his son as a Secondary Coach, or getting to put his 2 cents in on some draft picks.