PDA

View Full Version : Ridiculous. Absolutely bloody sodding RIDICULOUS

muse
08-04-2004, 03:42 AM
How the hell can you give rookie a contract worth up to $54 million??? What are the Cardinals thinking? All it does is inflate egos, annoy other teammates (probably Anquan Boldin more than most) and waste money. I can't believe the league allows teams to pay rookies this much money.

Kaleb09
08-04-2004, 03:51 AM
I agree, but I dont think Larry is the type to get an ego , if you want to talk about rookies with egos lets talk about Kellen Winslow who was offered a record 40million and still turned it down stating that he wants more , I mean he would have become the highest payed T.E . that there just pisses me off

muse
08-04-2004, 03:53 AM
I can't see why rookies complain about money...they should be glad that a team has accepted to give them a shot in the league...

Kaleb09
08-04-2004, 04:01 AM
Originally posted by muse
I can't see why rookies complain about money...they should be glad that a team has accepted to give them a shot in the league... that is tru , but I feel that its somehow got to do with the fathers who played in the nfl (ala Archie Maning and Wellen Winslow sr) I dont think tht Boldin would ask for more money as he wasnt there top pick , I do think that when his contract runs out they will offer him about the same as nobody inclueding Anquan expected him to have a phenominal season

OrangeShadow
08-04-2004, 07:37 AM
there should be a salary cap for rookies. a max they can get because yuo're right this is ridiculous

Perry1977
08-04-2004, 07:38 AM
Originally posted by CBailey2404
there should be a salary cap for rookies. a max they can get because yuo're right this is ridiculous

Screw that. Let the other teams in the NFL gamble away their franchises! Just don't let it happen in D town!

Dvd0825
08-04-2004, 08:39 AM
Once again the cardinals show why they are such losers, That deal was just plain stupid, they also cut pete kendall, their best lineman, once again showing their consistent failure to be a professional sports franchise:confused:

NJBRONCOSFAN
08-04-2004, 08:40 AM
Originally posted by CBailey2404
There is a rookie salary cap in place i believe...it's just that teams/agents can get around this by offering signing bonuses that are astronomical.

NJBRONCOSFAN
08-04-2004, 08:41 AM
Originally posted by Dvd0825
Once again the cardinals show why they are such losers, That deal was just plain stupid, they also cut pete kendall, their best lineman, once again showing their consistent failure to be a professional sports franchise:confused:
I think bringing Dennis Green into the mix will go along way in turning the team around. Fitzgerald is a stand-up guy and i think he could be great in this league.
As far as Kendall is concerned, he was sent home because of his bytching about tough practices.:sad:

Javalon
08-04-2004, 08:49 AM
So, this is a perfect example of why it isn't such a bad thing that Denver nevers gets top 15 picks. The lower half of the first round still has lots of good players but at (relatively) bargain prices. If our first round picks flop, we're only out a trifling compared to the top teams. And if our guys become stars, we have them cheap for a few years.

Either way, it means we have more salary cap space to spend on free agents who have proven they can play well at this level. Even the top of the draft is a crapshoot (e.g. Courtney Brown, Ryan Leaf, Tim Couch, Akili Smith, etc. that were all overpaid).

NZrichy
08-04-2004, 09:09 AM
Dont knock the Cards, they will be much better this year!

Fitzgerald is a special player and those dollars will be well spent on him when he gets 1000 yards & 6 TD's this season.

Dvd0825
08-04-2004, 09:11 AM
Originally posted by NJBRONCOSFAN
I think bringing Dennis Green into the mix will go along way in turning the team around. Fitzgerald is a stand-up guy and i think he could be great in this league.
As far as Kendall is concerned, he was sent home because of his bytching about tough practices.:sad:

You are right, bringing DG was the best move the cardinals have made in a while, and Fitz was a great selection, but the money is sickening. I understand that Pete was vocal about practice, Pete always has something to say, everybody knows that, but to release Pete was not in the best interest of the team. The cardinals are a long way from having their ship righted still. And lets not forget who owns that team. They are also unproven at most positions. How do you think bolden is going to feel about Fitz's contract ?

Dvd0825
08-04-2004, 09:15 AM
Originally posted by NZrichy
Dont knock the Cards, they will be much better this year!

Fitzgerald is a special player and those dollars will be well spent on him when he gets 1000 yards & 6 TD's this season.

I have put up with the cardinals for years, yes they might be a little better this year but it will not last. Even the year Jake took them to the playoffs and beat the cowboys in the first round they could not maintain that level of play because the ownership is cheap

Orange_Crush21
08-04-2004, 10:49 AM
How the hell can you give rookie a contract worth up to $54 million??? What are the Cardinals thinking? All it does is inflate egos, annoy other teammates (probably Anquan Boldin more than most) and waste money. I can't believe the league allows teams to pay rookies this much money.

I agree with you 100%. This is something that has annoyed this offseason. I have to give props to TG on this thread because right now he is the best TE in the game. Memo to Kellen Winslow: You haven't even played a game yet. You do not deserve to be the top payed TE in history. Get over yourself, you aren't a soldier like you may claim.

Javalon
08-04-2004, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by Orange_Crush21
I agree with you 100%. This is something that has annoyed this offseason. I have to give props to TG on this thread because right now he is the best TE in the game. Memo to Kellen Winslow: You haven't even played a game yet. You do not deserve to be the top payed TE in history. Get over yourself, you aren't a soldier like you may claim.
Yep, I can't stand these rookies getting paid more than the top players in the game.

I think the NFLPA and the NFL should consider rookie caps that maybe allow for bigger playing incentives; if you live up to your hype, then you still get the big bucks. If I was Tony Gonzalez I would be seriously pissed that Winslow thinks he's worth more than a perennial Pro Bowler. Something really needs to be done because this is spinning out of control.

It makes me really glad the Broncos are never bad enough to warrant a top 10 pick.

muse
08-04-2004, 10:58 AM
I wonder what Shannon has to say about it...

Orange_Crush21
08-04-2004, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by Javalon
Yep, I can't stand these rookies getting paid more than the top players in the game.

I think the NFLPA and the NFL should consider rookie caps that maybe allow for bigger playing incentives; if you live up to your hype, then you still get the big bucks. If I was Tony Gonzalez I would be seriously pissed that Winslow thinks he's worth more than a perennial Pro Bowler. Something really needs to be done because this is spinning out of control.

It makes me really glad the Broncos are never bad enough to warrant a top 10 pick.

Heck yeah.

Persistent
08-04-2004, 12:57 PM
I liked an article I read earlier today (I can't remember where) commenting on how rookies shouldn't be getting paid so much and how Ricky Williams' contract should be the standard for rookies. i.e.-pay for play, not for a college reputation. Pay rookies by what they do, not what they've done. Granted, Williams' deal was a little lofty in expectations, but in essence pay for milestones should be the way rookies get paid.

BroncoAZ
08-04-2004, 01:14 PM

He is going to be worth all the money. The day after he was drafted he was working out by himself at the Cardnals training facility. He has the work ethic of Jerry Rice, and the physical skills of Randy Moss. Plus the cardnals are FINALLY showing that they are willing to lay down the cash, and start winning some football games.

Javalon
08-04-2004, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by BroncoAZ
He is going to be worth all the money. The day after he was drafted he was working out by himself at the Cardnals training facility. He has the work ethic of Jerry Rice, and the physical skills of Randy Moss. Plus the cardnals are FINALLY showing that they are willing to lay down the cash, and start winning some football games.
You mean he'll probably be worth all the money. It's impossible to see the future. There have been plenty of high drafts picks in the past who didn't live up to their hype.

I don't mean he even has to be a bust. If he's simply a good receiver he won't be worth the money. He has to be a future Pro Bowler to be worth what he's getting paid. Hell, he should be in the Pro Bowl his rookie season to be worth it.

JoRo
08-04-2004, 11:41 PM
Jus the thot of us havin a top ten pick.....when someone said that, when was the last time the broncos had a top ten?And elway dont count we traded........

NZrichy
08-05-2004, 05:38 AM
Boldin got over 1000 his rookie year and I expect Fitzgerald to do the same.

The Cards will have one of the best receiving corps in the NFL for the next 6+ years.

muse
08-05-2004, 07:46 AM
Originally posted by NZrichy
Boldin got over 1000 his rookie year and I expect Fitzgerald to do the same.

The Cards will have one of the best receiving corps in the NFL for the next 6+ years.
Unfortunately they will still remain s***.