PDA

View Full Version : Official Chicago Cubs Thread

Sparky The Sun Devil
07-23-2009, 01:18 AM
Go Cubs Go!
Wrigley is the best atmosphere ever! outside of the broncos. Were gonna win it all this year!

pacoEagle
07-23-2009, 05:47 AM
Win one against the Phils (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/recap?gameId=290722122), and all of a sudden everyone starts pounding their chests... :D

Last year I was working in Chicago, and I spent the weekend forf the Eagles-Bears Sunday night game (got me some good end zone tickets). That saturday I took a tour of Wrigley. Definatly a park everyone should go to once. One thing that I will never forget was the dugouts. The Cubs dugout had padding on the bench, while the opposing team gest bare wood. :laugh:

Sparky The Sun Devil
07-23-2009, 12:48 PM
Win one against the Phils (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/recap?gameId=290722122), and all of a sudden everyone starts pounding their chests... :D

Last year I was working in Chicago, and I spent the weekend forf the Eagles-Bears Sunday night game (got me some good end zone tickets). That saturday I took a tour of Wrigley. Definatly a park everyone should go to once. One thing that I will never forget was the dugouts. The Cubs dugout had padding on the bench, while the opposing team gest bare wood. :laugh:

lol nah it wasnt the one win just noticed we didnt have a thread oing

Peerless
07-23-2009, 01:38 PM
Go Cubs Go!
Wrigley is the best atmosphere ever! outside of the broncos. Were gonna win it all this year!

Ewww.......

Sparky The Sun Devil
07-23-2009, 01:38 PM
Ewww.......

ur right asu football is better!!

Southstander
07-23-2009, 01:51 PM
While I have never been to either park, Fenway is a better place to see a game. Then again I am just a baised as the OP.

I do wish the Cubs luck this season. As a Sox fan I know their pain all to well.

Can you Imagine if it where a Cubs/Sox Series in 2003, when both teams where five outs away.

Sparky The Sun Devil
07-23-2009, 01:59 PM
While I have never been to either park, Fenway is a better place to see a game. Then again I am just a baised as the OP.

I do wish the Cubs luck this season. As a Sox fan I know their pain all to well.

Can you Imagine if it where a Cubs/Sox Series in 2003, when both teams where five outs away.

steve bartmen was unfairly blamed that year. and yea i havent been to wrigley.lol.only been to the dbacks stadium.

Southstander
07-23-2009, 02:04 PM
steve bartmen was unfairly blamed that year. and yea i havent been to wrigley.lol.only been to the dbacks stadium.

Glad to hear you don't blame Bartman!:salute!:

I never blamed Buckner.

Southstander
07-23-2009, 05:40 PM

If that where the case 10,000 teams would be beating there chest right now.

pacoEagle
07-26-2009, 05:26 PM
lol nah it wasnt the one win just noticed we didnt have a thread oing
:laugh:

I know man.... I just had to bust your stones :D

If that where the case 10,000 teams would be beating there chest right now.
Come on man, be fair.

We've lost more than 10,000 games now.

Southstander
04-09-2010, 06:16 PM
http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/articles/2010/04/09/wrigley_field_gets_a_few_upgrades/

CHICAGO --Cubs fans will find more than a touchup paint job when they arrive at Wrigley Field for opening day on Monday.

Renovated restrooms, enhanced food offerings and an upscale private club are among the upgrades unveiled by the team's new owners on Friday.

"We spent a lot of time, money and effort in this off season to improve Wrigley," said Cubs chairman Tom Ricketts during a media tour at the 96-year-old ballpark. "(We're) always looking to improve the stadium, looking to preserve the stadium and listening to fans on how we can improve the experience for everyone."

The Ricketts family purchased the team last fall from Tribune Co. and embarked on upgrades both visible and behind the scenes at the nation's second-oldest venue behind Boston's Fenway Park.

The new PNC Club of Chicago was carved out of six existing skyboxes along the third base line and will give 71 fans food and drink service, indoor/outdoor seating parking and club access on non-game days.

There's a more open feel in the lower grandstand following removal of concrete panels. Painted chain-link fencing now allows fans to look outside Wrigley Field while bringing more light in.

Other work included restoration of part of the center field scoreboard to its original condition, its first major work in more than 70 years. A brick wall down the left field line was replaced and repairs were made to concrete ramps and steel structures, part of a planned 10-year maintenance program.

New food options include bison burgers and hot dogs from the Ricketts family's Wyoming ranch. A number of restrooms have been expanded and upgraded.

Cubs players, meanwhile, will enjoy a renovated clubhouse that features a new player lounge, larger weight room and remodeled kitchen in the first upgrade since 1984. The team also hired a nutritional consultant to aid in menu planning.

Team officials did not reveal how much the improvements cost.

"We talked about what could get done in five months during the winter in Chicago and how much difference we could make for players and the fans," said Cubs president Crane Kenney. "It's a new day at Wrigley Field and we're very proud of what we've done."

The new owners have also been in discussions with Toyota to erect a sign of the automaker's logo above the left field bleachers, a move to bring in revenue. Some critics say the sign would infringe on the historical ambiance of the ballpark and the Wrigley Rooftop Association said Friday the sign would violate the landmark ordinance governing Wrigley, agreements between the Cubs and area residents, and zoning law.

A zoning commission and landmarks committee must approve the sign and Ricketts has said he's confident the issue will be resolved

HurricaneDovs
04-09-2010, 06:55 PM
Sparky, thanks for starting a Cubs thread. I wanted to but I wasnt sure there were any other Cubs fans.

Speaking of the Cubs...GOSH FRICKIN DANGIT!!!
3-1 lead in the top of the 8th and freakin Caridad loads the bases and then gives up a GS. And he did all this without getting a single out.

Then we get our hearts ripped out in the 9th. Close play at first results in an out that would have tied the game if he were safe cause Derrek Lee hit a homer the next AB.
Then we end up getting the bases loaded and Chad Tracy goes and chokes up the place.

Grrr! :brick:

Southstander
04-09-2010, 06:59 PM
I dug this up just for you!

HurricaneDovs
04-09-2010, 08:44 PM
I dug this up just for you!

Youre awesome South. Thanks alot buddy! :salute!:

Even though I imagine I might be talking to myself alot. :laugh:

We need like an MLB thread. Just a place all the fans can go and talk about their teams, news in the league, whatever.

thatkidhunt
04-09-2010, 08:46 PM
Cubs suck, end of discussion. :D

Strimpel
04-09-2010, 08:53 PM
Cubs suck, end of discussion. :D

This ^

/thread

HurricaneDovs
04-09-2010, 08:59 PM
Whats everybody got against the Cubs? How can you hate a team that hasnt won a championship in over 100 years?

Cmoooooooooon.

Southstander
04-09-2010, 09:07 PM
Whats everybody got against the Cubs? How can you hate a team that hasnt won a championship in over 100 years?

Cmoooooooooon.

I do not hate the Cubbies. I will be agry if the "Freindly Confines" gets the All Star Game on it's hunderth birthday when Fenway got passed over for KC.

On a side note after watching Back to the Future II I hope you win the Series in 2015.:D:salute:

HurricaneDovs
04-09-2010, 09:25 PM
I do not hate the Cubbies. I will be agry if the "Freindly Confines" gets the All Star Game on it's hunderth birthday when Fenway got passed over for KC.

On a side note after watching Back to the Future II I hope you win the Series in 2015.:D:salute:

Lol. Thanks. As long as we win it sometime this century.

thatkidhunt
04-09-2010, 09:30 PM
I dont hate em either, I just like giving their fans crap cause honestly and no offense, but some of the most annoying of any team in the league.

Just keepin it real.

Your still my boy HD

Southstander
04-09-2010, 09:31 PM
Lol. Thanks. As long as we win it sometime this century.

LOL, you can win it before then.

HurricaneDovs
04-09-2010, 09:53 PM
LOL, you can win it before then.

Itd be nice.

As long as we dont give up go ahead homers in the 8th inning after leading the entire game. :rolleyes:

Southstander
04-09-2010, 10:00 PM
Itd be nice.

As long as we dont give up go ahead homers in the 8th inning after leading the entire game. :rolleyes:

We have imploded too. Tonight we receive three walks in a row and did not score. :brick:

HurricaneDovs
04-09-2010, 10:02 PM
We have imploded too. Tonight we receive three walks in a row and did not score. :brick:

Looks like both of our clubs have started sluggish.
Its a long season though. Id rather they get all their suck out in the beginning rather than screwing games in late September.

But of course the freakin Cardinals have to keep winning. :mad:

Southstander
04-09-2010, 10:06 PM
Looks like both of our clubs have started sluggish.
Its a long season though. Id rather they get all their suck out in the beginning rather than screwing games in late September.

But of course the freakin Cardinals have to keep winning. :mad:

Same with the Rays.

HurricaneDovs
04-10-2010, 01:03 PM
http://threadjoylovegood.files.wordpress.com/2009/01/about_harry_pic1.jpg
Cubs win! Cubs win!

HurricaneDovs
04-10-2010, 04:55 PM
I dont hate em either, I just like giving their fans crap cause honestly and no offense, but some of the most annoying of any team in the league.

Just keepin it real.

Your still my boy HD

I got ya. I really havent met any other Cubs fans. Im sure there are a bunch of boneheads out there. As with any team.
Just wait til we finally win one though. We'll never shut up. :D

HurricaneDovs
04-12-2010, 02:28 PM
Glad to see the offense finally showed up today. And the bullpen looked real good. Just gotta keep this up.

Sorry Peerless. :D

thatkidhunt
04-12-2010, 02:34 PM
Glad to see the offense finally showed up today. And the bullpen looked real good. Just gotta keep this up.

Sorry Peerless. :D

No your not. :P

HurricaneDovs
04-12-2010, 09:14 PM
No your not. :P

I know. But at least I was polite about it. :laugh:

HurricaneDovs
04-14-2010, 02:31 PM
Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeck yes!
4 runs in the bottom of the 8th to win it!
:D

HurricaneDovs
04-17-2010, 01:01 PM
Every time we win a game to get back to 500 we always have to suck in the next one and drop again.

We should have been able to sweep Houston. But instead we have no offense until the 8th and by then its too late.

This team looks mediocre so far. :rolleyes:

thatkidhunt
04-17-2010, 01:16 PM
Every time we win a game to get back to 500 we always have to suck in the next one and drop again.

We should have been able to sweep Houston. But instead we have no offense until the 8th and by then its too late.

This team looks mediocre so far. :rolleyes:

D-Backs have gotten walked off on the last 2 nights in a row.

Can we have Marmol??

HurricaneDovs
04-17-2010, 01:17 PM
D-Backs have gotten walked off on the last 2 nights in a row.

Can we have Marmol??

Haha. Sure. Its not like we use him considering we never seem to have a lead in the 9th that we need a closer.

HurricaneDovs
04-18-2010, 06:35 PM
Awesome. I love losing series' to teams with only one win coming into them.

I love lack of offense. Crappy bullpen. Inconsistent play.
Thats why Im a Cubs fan I guess. :brick:

Southstander
04-18-2010, 09:16 PM
Awesome. I love losing series' to teams with only one win coming into them.

I love lack of offense. Crappy bullpen. Inconsistent play.
Thats why Im a Cubs fan I guess. :brick:

Look on the bright side you have one more win then the Sox.

HurricaneDovs
04-18-2010, 09:40 PM
Look on the bright side you have one more win then the Sox.

Thats true. Haha.

Just messin South.
Man both our teams are sucking early.

Southstander
04-18-2010, 09:41 PM
Thats true. Haha.

Just messin South.
Man both our teams are sucking early.

Both our teams stuck for over 8 decades.:sad::sad:

HurricaneDovs
04-18-2010, 09:46 PM
Both our teams stuck for over 8 decades.:sad::sad:

At least you guys finally got yours.

Ours has stretched to 10 now. Pardon me while I take a flying leap into a wood chipper.

Southstander
04-18-2010, 09:49 PM

Ours has stretched to 10 now. Pardon me while I take a flying leap into a wood chipper.

We have done it twice!:D

thatkidhunt
04-18-2010, 10:51 PM

We are in last place too, pen blew it again today, thats like 4 games out of 5 now. Blew it twice in one game also in one of those 4 games. Its sad. Will be at the game tomorrow with my buddy whos a HUGE Cardinals fan. I just hope we can keep it close, that way I can give the pen a piece of my mind when they blow it again.

Southstander
04-21-2010, 10:27 PM
Zambrano has been moved to the pen.

HurricaneDovs
04-21-2010, 11:48 PM
Zambrano has been moved to the pen.

Until he can prove he doesnt completely suck this year we should keep him there.

And on a related note....HOLY COW, WE ACTUALLY WON A GAME!!!
And scored 9 runs doing it. :dance:

HurricaneDovs
04-21-2010, 11:50 PM
Man Soriano finally had himself a ballgame. He was a double away from hitting for the cycle.

Ramirez sucked hard going 0-6 though.

HurricaneDovs
04-25-2010, 02:39 PM
Well that game was SWEEPtastic.

We finally broke out the bats. 12-2 win over Milwaukee to sweep the series.

Woot! :dance:

thatkidhunt
04-29-2010, 03:09 PM
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e83/JaeHunt/zarl9i1e882fglrb1yb0yzgho.gif

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e83/JaeHunt/dback2.gif

Southstander
04-30-2010, 05:18 PM
http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/articles/2010/04/30/az_legislature_doesnt_act_on_cubs_stadium_issue/

MESA, Ariz.—Mesa's status as the Chicago Cubs spring training home is in jeopardy now that the Arizona Legislature has adjourned without passing legislation needed to keep the team in the state.

An agreement between the team and Mesa officials allows the Cubs to negotiate with other cities if Arizona lawmakers don't pass legislation by July 12. Lawmakers ended their session Thursday, and a special session is unlikely.

The move could reopen the door for Florida to lure away baseball's highest-drawing spring training team.

Lawmakers considered adding surcharges to car rentals and spring-training baseball tickets, but the plan faltered after Major League Baseball Commissioner Bud Selig came out against it.

Cubs chairman Tom Ricketts said he wasn't aware of Friday's events.

"I don't know anything about it," he said after his team beat the Arizona Diamondbacks 11-5 at Wrigley Field. "I'd have to wait until next week to be able to know about any of that stuff. I haven't been on top of it."

He added, "It's a long process."

HurricaneDovs
05-04-2010, 06:38 PM
:brick:

Man I hate this team sometimes this year.

We did it again. Had to win 3 straight games just to get back to .500, only to lose our next game. To the freakin Pirates.

2 runs. 11 LOB.

Again I say...:brick:.

Southstander
05-04-2010, 06:41 PM

Man I hate this team sometimes this year.

We did it again. Had to win 3 straight games just to get back to .500, only to lose our next game. To the freakin Pirates.

2 runs. 11 LOB.

Again I say...:brick:.

Sorry bro. I know how you feel. I had to watch me team get swept by a team that had not swept a tree game series in Baltimore since 1974.

HurricaneDovs
05-05-2010, 11:58 PM
Well here it comes. The usual losing streak after a winning streak just to get back to .500.

At least were losing to good tea....wait no were not. Its the FREAKING PIRATES!!!! :brick::hammer::mad::mad:

Southstander
05-06-2010, 06:37 PM
Well here it comes. The usual losing streak after a winning streak just to get back to .500.

At least were losing to good tea....wait no were not. Its the FREAKING PIRATES!!!! :brick::hammer::mad::mad:

It seams the Cubs can't get out of their own way.

HurricaneDovs
05-07-2010, 12:01 PM
It seams the Cubs can't get out of their own way.

We are probably a much more talented team than we were last year, but we cant seem to win games.

I dont know what the problem is. I dont know if the guys just dont care or what. :(

HurricaneDovs
05-07-2010, 09:09 PM
So we go from being swept by the Pirates to hanging 14 on the Reds.

I just dont know anymore. Lol. This team is weird.

Southstander
05-07-2010, 09:29 PM
So we go from being swept by the Pirates to hanging 14 on the Reds.

I just dont know anymore. Lol. This team is weird.

This has been an odd season for a few teams.

HurricaneDovs
05-12-2010, 02:38 PM
WOAH!

We remembered how to win a game.

ursamajor
05-12-2010, 02:46 PM
WOAH!

We remembered how to win a game.

Ugh. I had to take a break from my Cubbies after the NLDS sweep to the Dodgers.

My amazing wife got me tix to game 3 in L.A. (I live in Vegas). I got to watch my 100 win team get swept @ Dodger stadium. There was the most obnoxious drunk sitting near me, and to make a long story short, I got removed from the park.

I then realized that I needed a break. Kinda still on that break. No doubt soon they will get hot again, only to rip my heart out.

thatkidhunt
05-12-2010, 02:59 PM
D-Backs suck too if it makes you feel any better......

HurricaneDovs
05-12-2010, 06:33 PM
Ugh. I had to take a break from my Cubbies after the NLDS sweep to the Dodgers.

My amazing wife got me tix to game 3 in L.A. (I live in Vegas). I got to watch my 100 win team get swept @ Dodger stadium. There was the most obnoxious drunk sitting near me, and to make a long story short, I got removed from the park.

I then realized that I needed a break. Kinda still on that break. No doubt soon they will get hot again, only to rip my heart out.

I think we might be the only fans in baseball that need to take a break from our team just to be able to remain fans.
Why do they hate us?

D-Backs suck too if it makes you feel any better......

It doesnt. :P

Just messin. I like the DBacks. Probably my 3rd favorite baseball team. Itd be nice if they and Chicago could start playing like the teams that both can and should be.

Southstander
05-12-2010, 07:01 PM
I posted this a few years back, but figured I would post it again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xBxZGQ1dJk

Southstander
12-08-2010, 07:22 AM
Carlos Peña to the Cubs.

HurricaneDovs
03-31-2011, 11:19 PM
LIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIVE!!!!!!!!!!!

This thread is officially resurrected! I know me, Sparky, and South (sometimes) might be the only ones that care, but you all got your threads and we need ours. :P

http://www.cubsobsession.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/Chicago_Cubs_ch68_large.jpg

Hope to see alot of the above this year. Cubbies opening day tomorrow!

Woot!

Southstander
04-01-2011, 02:19 AM
I posted a few times, but have you guys heard "A dying Cubs Fans Last Request".

HurricaneDovs
04-01-2011, 12:13 PM
Ahhh Cubs baseball.

Bases loaded. Here is where we struggled last year, in the form of getting runners in. Left alot of guys on base.

At least we got one out of it.

HurricaneDovs
04-01-2011, 12:22 PM
I posted a few times, but have you guys heard "A dying Cubs Fans Last Request".

Yep. Not the most cheeful of songs but probably what every Cubs fan has thought at least 10 or so times in their lives. Ha.

Southstander
04-01-2011, 12:44 PM
Yep. Not the most cheeful of songs but probably what every Cubs fan has thought at least 10 or so times in their lives. Ha.

It is sad, but is funny at the same time. I can say that because as a Sox fan I know Cubbies fans pain.

What is truly said for Cubs fans is their are rumors, much like the crosstown White Sox, the they threw that Series.

HurricaneDovs
04-01-2011, 12:45 PM

Grand slam by Pittsburgh.

*sigh*

HurricaneDovs
04-01-2011, 12:47 PM
It is sad, but is funny at the same time. I can say that because as a Sox fan I know Cubbies fans pain.

What is truly said for Cubs fans is their are rumors, much like the crosstown White Sox, the they threw that Series.

Which? The 1945 one?

Southstander
04-01-2011, 12:50 PM
Which? The 1945 one?

The one against the Red Sox in 1918.

HurricaneDovs
04-01-2011, 12:55 PM
We follow up a big inning by the Pirates with a typical Cubs inning: 3 up, 3 down.

HurricaneDovs
04-01-2011, 12:57 PM
The one against the Red Sox in 1918.

Ah. I hadnt known alot about that one so I looked it up. Said there were some guys that were crooked and found to have fixed games in later years.

Wouldnt surprise me if it happened. Back then Im sure alot of guys were in with some crooked people.

Cant help but wonder if these guys would have known the Cubs would be what they are now, if they would have done it (if they did it).

Southstander
04-01-2011, 01:05 PM
Very sad the both Chicago teams, as well as others, did stuff like that.

HurricaneDovs
04-01-2011, 01:08 PM
Very sad the both Chicago teams, as well as others, did stuff like that.

I know. Its just not taking pride in what you do. But its just messed up to cost your team, your teammates, and your fans something like being called a World Champion.

Especially for teams that havent won it in forever. Like the Cubbies. Like the White Sox before they won it a couple years back.

Early 1900's Chicago wasnt exactly the pinnacle of morality in the US though.

HurricaneDovs
04-01-2011, 01:23 PM
Beautiful.

:rolleyes:

HurricaneDovs
04-01-2011, 07:47 PM
Another Opening Day, another loss.

We really need our big names to start doing what they get paid for. Ramirez had a decent day, but Pena did nothing. Byrd didnt do much. Soriano didnt do much.

Its great when our smaller name guys like Castro and (sometimes) Kosuke do good but we need our high paid guys to play like theyre being paid.

HurricaneDovs
04-03-2011, 02:13 PM
Blow a save and then a gift at the end and we ground into a double play.

BroncoFanBoy
04-03-2011, 02:30 PM
Blow a save and then a gift at the end and we ground into a double play.

Dang it Marmol! You cost me points! (He's on my fantasy team) :sad:

HurricaneDovs
04-05-2011, 01:46 PM
Alright. Bullpen gives up a lead, lets see if our offense can put something together.