PDA

View Full Version : 21 former Broncos find a new home in the United Football League

famicommander
09-16-2009, 01:12 PM
Didn't know where to put this since the UFL doesn't fit into any other forum category, but I figured it would be alright to put here since it concerns so many recent Broncos.

So anyway, you'll definitely recognize some of the names. Other guys you won't. Some were starters, some were one year training camp cuts. But at one point, all of the following were part of the Denver Broncos family.

Help support them in their new league:+
Michael Pittman (Running back, 2008)
Tatum Bell (Running back, 2004-2006, 2009)
Todd Sauerbrun (Punter, 2007)
Cecil Sapp (Full back, 2003-2007)
Simeon Rice (Defensive end, 2007)
Nate Jackson (Tight end, 2003-2008)
David Kircus (Wide receivers, 2006)
Darrell Hackney (Quarterback, 2007-2008)
Patrick Chukwurah (Defenseive end, 2003-2006)
Paul Carrington (Defensive end, 2007)
Marviel Underwood (Strong Safety, 2007)
Alex Haynes (Running back, 2008)
P.J. Alexander (Guard, 2003-2005, 2007)
Jayson Foster (Wide Receiver, 2008-2009)
Andrew Pinnock (Fullback, 2008)
Adam Bergen (Tight end, 2009)
Martin Bibla (Guard, 2006)
Wale Dada (Cornerback, 2008)
Danny Baugher (Punter, 2008)
Bryan Save (Defensive tackle, 2006)
Samie Parker (Wide receiver, 2008)
George Gause (Defensive tackle, 2005)

sntnl
09-16-2009, 01:13 PM
Good on them, I wish them all the best of luck in the UFL.

martz11
09-16-2009, 01:13 PM
Guys must be hurtin for some paychecks.

Bernie24
09-16-2009, 01:15 PM
Tatum Bell > LaMont Jordan. We should have never cut him.

famicommander
09-16-2009, 01:16 PM
Many of them just want to play football. Guys like Sapp and Bell could easily be backups in the NFL for more money, but they want to start. The UFL has a lot of quality football players, and it's going to be fun to watch.

RodSmithRules
Simeon Rice and Todd Sauerbrun....how the mighty have fallen....

Well, I wish 'em luck anyway.

famicommander
Tatum Bell fumbled far too much for my taste.

RodSmithRules
09-16-2009, 01:17 PM
Tatum Bell fumbled far too much for my taste.

But his cell phone sales pitch was remarkable! :D

d-bronx42
09-16-2009, 01:17 PM
HAHAHA Nate 'the great' Jackson is playing in the UFL now...?! I was always got so frustrated when Shanny kept keeping him on the roster even though he would never make it past week 3!

And P.S.- Tatum Bell deserves to be in the NFL. I really wish we would have resigned him... Oh well.

Poindexter
09-16-2009, 01:18 PM

I don't think the UFL is quite the step down you make it out to be.

If your passion is football as a career and you can't play in the NFL wouldn't you take the opportunity to do what you love elsewhere? I know I would.

famicommander
09-16-2009, 01:23 PM
Simeon Rice and Todd Sauerbrun....how the mighty have fallen....

Well, I wish 'em luck anyway.
The UFL isn't really much of a "fall". It's not the NFL, but it's got much higher quality players than the CFL does or the Arena League or XFL did.

Simeon Rice, Adam Archuleta, JP Losman, Tim Rattay, Odell Thurman, Az Zahir Hakim, Tatum Bell, Koren Robinson, Marcel Shipp, Dexter Jackson...

There are a lot of quality football players in the UFL, and I guarantee you a lot of them will be signed again by NFL teams after the UFL season.

Alastor
09-16-2009, 01:26 PM
And P.S.- Tatum Bell deserves to be in the NFL. I really wish we would have resigned him... Oh well.

Fundamentally speaking, no. He doesn't.

When the Broncos cut him the first time, no one else went and got him. The same thing happened this time.

He looked good to us and on our team at times, but no, he's really not that good.

RodSmithRules
09-16-2009, 01:26 PM
The UFL isn't really much of a "fall". It's not the NFL, but it's got much higher quality players than the CFL does or the Arena League or XFL did.

Simeon Rice, Adam Archuleta, JP Losman, Tim Rattay, Odell Thurman, Az Zahir Hakim, Tatum Bell, Koren Robinson, Marcel Shipp, Dexter Jackson...

There are a lot of quality football players in the UFL, and I guarantee you a lot of them will be signed again by NFL teams after the UFL season.

True, it isn't a huge fall. But think of guys like Rice in they prime. They were unbelievable. It kinda sucks that they couldn't make it on an NFL roster.

But if this helps re-energize a career for guys like Tatum Bell, then I'm all for it.

-Rod-
09-16-2009, 01:27 PM
I like Tatum Bell. Laugh all you want, but I admire the guy. He was away from football, selling cell phones. Then he joins the Broncos in the middle of the season and averages 5 yards per carry. And I don't give a damn about Rudi Johnson's underwear.

Poindexter
09-16-2009, 01:27 PM
The only thing I'm disliking about the UFL so far is the lack of televised exposure. It's going to be tough to see any of the games without going out of your way.

Broncos Bassist
09-16-2009, 01:28 PM
True, it isn't a huge fall. But think of guys like Rice in they prime. They were unbelievable. It kinda sucks that they couldn't make it on an NFL roster.

But if this helps re-energize a career for guys like Tatum Bell, then I'm all for it.

The biggest falloff is in paychecks, probably. I wonder what these guys make a game? Is it enough to consider it a full-time job?

donkeyDookie
09-16-2009, 01:29 PM

When the Broncos cut him the first time, no one else went and got him. The same thing happened this time.

He looked good to us and on our team at times, but no, he's really not that good.

yup. :beer:

famicommander
09-16-2009, 01:30 PM
The only thing I'm disliking about the UFL so far is the lack of televised exposure. It's going to be tough to see any of the games without going out of your way.

Every game is on national cable television. Some on Versus and some in HDnet, but every game is in high definition on national TV.

That's hardly "going out of my way".

sntnl
09-16-2009, 01:32 PM
More football can never be bad :D. I think if anything it will be great to develop or rehab players who want to go to, or return to the NFL. All it does is provide more depth.

famicommander
09-16-2009, 01:33 PM
The biggest falloff is in paychecks, probably. I wonder what these guys make a game? Is it enough to consider it a full-time job?

Easily. They play a six game season, and quarterbacks make 10,000 a game. Others make slightly less.

But the point is that they're making good money in a very short season, so they're free to sign with NFL or CFL teams after the season wraps up.

And they get bonuses for incentives, wins, and championships.

The payscale will increase as they add more games and teams to the season.

Broncos Bassist
09-16-2009, 01:44 PM
Easily. They play a six game season, and quarterbacks make 10,000 a game. Others make slightly less.

But the point is that they're making good money in a very short season, so they're free to sign with NFL or CFL teams after the season wraps up.

And they get bonuses for incentives, wins, and championships.

The payscale will increase as they add more games and teams to the season.

It sounds like they're doing it the right way this time. I'm actually kind of looking forward to the kickoff of the season, other than the drunk-ass color selection for the uniforms. It will be nice to have a (semi-) pro league local to me, to fill some of the time between Broncos games. Plus, there's the not-so-obvious tribute to my Razorbacks with the Florida team's nickname. :laugh: Too bad they got those garish colors. Ugh.

famicommander
09-16-2009, 01:48 PM
It sounds like they're doing it the right way this time. I'm actually kind of looking forward to the kickoff of the season, other than the drunk-ass color selection for the uniforms. It will be nice to have a (semi-) pro league local to me, to fill some of the time between Broncos games. Plus, there's the not-so-obvious tribute to my Razorbacks with the Florida team's nickname. :laugh: Too bad they got those garish colors. Ugh.

It's not semi-pro. It's professional football. No different than the AFL or CFL. If you want semi-pro, take a look at the AIFA or IIFA.

These guys would be insulted to be called semi-pro, just like Arena and Canadian players are. Literally hundreds of AFL players went on to the NFL, and many more went from the NFL down to the AFL. You're kidding yourself if you think these guys aren't world-class athletes.

Broncos Bassist
09-16-2009, 01:50 PM
It's not semi-pro. It's professional football. No different than the AFL or CFL. If you want semi-pro, take a look at the AIFA or IIFA.

These guys would be insulted to be called semi-pro, just like Arena and Canadian players are. Literally hundreds of AFL players went on to the NFL, and many more went from the NFL down to the AFL. You're kidding yourself if you think these guys aren't world-class athletes.

It was just a poorly-executed jab. I know they're professional athletes. Hell, the Florida team has Michael Pittman on the roster, and I'm sure there are more than a couple of Broncos fans who'd like to see him back in Orange and Blue. I'd like to see this league take off and become something of a feeder league for the NFL, sort of like minor league baseball. Maybe some of the borderline college guys will go there to develop and make a name for themselves.

I think the Arena league finally folded for good, though, didn't it?

BrandonMarshall
09-16-2009, 01:52 PM

lol wut

All games are nationally televised.

famicommander
I think the Arena league finally folded for good, though, didn't it?

The AFL as we know it, yes. And af2 is gone, too.

But I have it on good authority that a new league will emerge in the coming months, compose of many AFL and af2 teams that still want to play. They just need to shed the AFL brand to avoid paying for the bankruptcy.

It will be called the Arena Football Association. Unfortunately, the Colorado Crush likely won't be involved. But trust me when I say that there will be Arena Football next year.

rst08tierney

Do you watch football? Honestly? Seriously?

LaMont Jordan is 10x the pass blocker Tatum was. Tatum lacked in picking up the blitz more then Mike Bell. There is a reason Tatum Bell is not an any NFL roster this year.

I understand we all have favorites, but I will be more then happy to have a complete running back on the team rather then a 3rd down change of pace back who cant block AND has ball security issues.

Broncos Bassist
09-16-2009, 01:55 PM
The AFL as we know it, yes. And af2 is gone, too.

But I have it on good authority that a new league will emerge in the coming months, compose of many AFL and af2 teams that still want to play. They just need to shed the AFL brand to avoid paying for the bankruptcy.

It will be called the Arena Football Association. Unfortunately, the Colorado Crush likely won't be involved. But trust me when I say that there will be Arena Football next year.

That's good news, if true. I'm hoping the Predators make it back. They were one of the most successful franchises in the league, mostly because of the lack of competition in Orlando. They had rabid fans and normally sold out their games. Not the most family-friendly environment, those games, but they were fun.

dman444
09-16-2009, 01:58 PM
I'll never forget when Chucky vommed all over the field then made a sack the next play, at least I think he made the sack, maybe he just hit the QB.

Surely someone still has that .gif around.

famicommander
09-16-2009, 01:58 PM
That's good news, if true. I'm hoping the Predators make it back. They were one of the most successful franchises in the league, mostly because of the lack of competition in Orlando. They had rabid fans and normally sold out their games. Not the most family-friendly environment, those games, but they were fun.
The Predators could be involved, but it's not just about success. The Crush were one of the most successful teams in both wins and profit, but there's virtually no chance they're coming back.

Some owners just don't want to deal with it, and Elway is one of them.

dman444
09-16-2009, 01:59 PM
I'd honestly rather have Pittman than Jordan right now. I can't believe he never got picked up. He ran very well for us last year.

draco193
09-16-2009, 02:26 PM
Good on all of them. Some good performances, and they could easily find themselves back on an nfl roster.

Bronco_Rob
09-16-2009, 02:30 PM
Didn't know where to put this since the UFL doesn't fit into any other forum category, but I figured it would be alright to put here since it concerns so many recent Broncos.

So anyway, you'll definitely recognize some of the names. Other guys you won't. Some were starters, some were one year training camp cuts. But at one point, all of the following were part of the Denver Broncos family.

Help support them in their new league:

Michael Pittman should be on that list as well as Quentin Griffin

famicommander
09-16-2009, 02:50 PM
Michael Pittman should be on that list as well as Quentin Griffin

Nobody picked them up:
http://uflaccess.com/uflaccess/final-training-camp-rosters-released-for-united-football-league-teams/

newguy
09-16-2009, 02:58 PM

It must've been weird to be selling cell phones at the same mall that was selling his jersey a few months before (I almost bought one!)

I wish him and the rest of them the best of luck.

bucking bronco
09-16-2009, 03:28 PM

An 83 year old, blind, arthritic grandma with 2 replacement hips and an unfortunate habit of pissing her pants at the most inopportune time > Lamont Jordan

Caliraiderhater
09-16-2009, 03:52 PM
Good luck guys! I do agree that Bell has the skills/speed to be a good change of pace back for an NFL team.

speardog
09-16-2009, 03:53 PM

Help support them in their new league:

Thanks for posting this. Very interesting. I think RB Alex Haynes has real potential.

speardog
09-16-2009, 04:10 PM
Do you watch football? Honestly? Seriously?

LaMont Jordan is 10x the pass blocker Tatum was. Tatum lacked in picking up the blitz more then Mike Bell. There is a reason Tatum Bell is not an any NFL roster this year.

I understand we all have favorites, but I will be more then happy to have a complete running back on the team rather then a 3rd down change of pace back who cant block AND has ball security issues.

Lamont Jordan was a terrible pickup. There is no reason why (the coach) should have signed three high priced vet RBs and then draft Moreno in the first round. They could have used that money on other areas. Buckhalter was a good pickup. Jordan shouldn't even be on the roster.

I would have liked Denver to keep Anthony Aldridge and give him a chance over Jordan. All Jordan is a slower less nimble Buckhalter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOkLuTtckKs

Broncos Bassist
09-16-2009, 04:11 PM
The Predators could be involved, but it's not just about success. The Crush were one of the most successful teams in both wins and profit, but there's virtually no chance they're coming back.

Some owners just don't want to deal with it, and Elway is one of them.

Good point. We used to have good ownership, but I think the team might have changed hands in the last year or two. I'd have to look it up. I hope the league does come back, with a Predators franchise.

PittKing
09-16-2009, 04:19 PM
i'm surprised dewayne robertson isn't in this league. lol.

newguy
09-16-2009, 04:21 PM
What I don't get is that the UFL page says that they are trying to cater to markets that are under-represented in the NFL, but they have a San Francisco team? They are playing ONE game in L.A., but I still think an actual LA team would be more appropriate.

Dean
09-16-2009, 04:23 PM

The first time Tatum was with the Broncos he was traded along with Foster for Dre Bly. He wasn't cut by us. He played for them.

The second time (last year) with the Broncos, he had a one year contract and wasn't renewed.

famicommander
09-16-2009, 04:30 PM
What I don't get is that the UFL page says that they are trying to cater to markets that are under-represented in the NFL, but they have a San Francisco team? They are playing ONE game in L.A., but I still think an actual LA team would be more appropriate.

Few things:
1. The 49ers are moving to Santa Clara. While they'll keep the San Francisco namesake, they'll actually be closer to San Jose.

2. Hartford and Los Angeles are getting expansion teams next year. That's why they're playing games there this season; to build excitement.

jhildebrand
09-16-2009, 05:02 PM

Do I sense a "bring back T Mobile" thread? :laugh:

distill3r
09-16-2009, 05:06 PM

hahahahahhaa, i remembergoing into the aurora mall and saying.....

"whoa, dude.... is that tatum bell at the t-mobile store?"

we went up and chatted with him, and this is like, a day before he resigned with the broncos. he seemed kinda pissed that he had to work at a small cell phone shack in a crappy mall instead of on the field.

haha, glad to see he isn't in the kiosk anymore. :salute:

distill3r
09-16-2009, 05:08 PM
The first time Tatum was with the Broncos he was traded along with Foster for Dre Bly. He wasn't cut by us. He played for them.

The second time (last year) with the Broncos, he had a one year contract and wasn't renewed.

lol, until he jacked rudi johnson's gym bag in detroit. i was tempted to bring that up in our convo.

Bronco_Rob
09-16-2009, 05:50 PM
Nobody picked them up:
http://uflaccess.com/uflaccess/final-training-camp-rosters-released-for-united-football-league-teams/

Is that a fact? This and multiple other sources state otherwise (this source is just from the top of the list)

Michael pittman http://ballhype.com/story/florida_tuskers_roster_includes_michael_pittman_ko ren/

another http://www.journaltimes.com/sports/article_08544f1e-98fe-11de-a536-001cc4c002e0.html

I'm not seeing Griffin but I swear I saw it on PFT

johnjoda
09-16-2009, 07:16 PM

We could send LaMont to the vegas team and he could work off his debt :)

I do wish them all luck!

johnjoda
09-16-2009, 07:27 PM
I'd like to see this league take off and become something of a feeder league for the NFL, sort of like minor league baseball. Maybe some of the borderline college guys will go there to develop and make a name for themselves.

That is what I thought the USFL could have been. I loved watching the Denver Gold. They put all of their chips on a lawsuit against the NFL. They WON....$3.76
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Football_League

The USFL was a Spring league. That was fine because there was no Rockies then.

A short spring league could be a great feeder league.

It will be interesting to see how "young" (maybe no college) talent does in the UFL.

btw....Craig Morton was the Gold Coach for a bit

GIVEME6
09-16-2009, 08:01 PM

Lol. That's exactly what I was gonna post. Tatum ran hard for us last year, and made some big plays. Crazy no one signed him.

BarkdogRX7
09-16-2009, 11:38 PM

Yet, who is worthy of sitting on our RB depth chart, LaMont Jordan...you? haha, I find it funny u call em out like you are better or something. Don't be so critical, he's played in the league, and u watch it

famicommander
09-17-2009, 12:25 AM
Is that a fact? This and multiple other sources state otherwise (this source is just from the top of the list)

Michael pittman http://ballhype.com/story/florida_tuskers_roster_includes_michael_pittman_ko ren/

another http://www.journaltimes.com/sports/article_08544f1e-98fe-11de-a536-001cc4c002e0.html

I'm not seeing Griffin but I swear I saw it on PFT

I read somewhere that his agent said he wasn't signing.

But some names are not being released yet due to pending contracts and physicals, so we'll see if he turns up.

RealBronco
09-17-2009, 12:41 AM

i don't get this either. and they have a new york team and a florida team...

but i'm excited. i've been waiting for kickoff for a long time now. i hope it develops into something that is competitive and sustainable.

i don't get the uniform colors though, at least not for the Redwoods... their colors aren't even red. lol.

also who keeps saying this is going to be a farm league? the guys who are putting the league together have stressed that they don't want this to seem like a farm league for the NFL (though it may end up so) but that they want it to be an equally pro league to go along-side the NFL and provide more football with more exposure since the NFL is starting to monopolize t.v. coverage and put most of its games on NFL Network.

with talent like they have listed above i think this league will do well. i just hope this inaugural season gets enough exposure to generate enough buzz to fuel the return for another season with more teams and more games.

now, there are only four teams... which one should i be a fan of? :confused:

expatRick
09-17-2009, 02:36 AM

Dig into that site a little further and you'll see that the Bay area team is owned by Nancy Pelosi's husband. That's why it's up north.

They got 3 head coaches who have taken teams to the NFL playoffs. In fact, didn't Fassel and Green face off in the 2000 NFC Championship? Anyway, it'll be cool to see a little spring football instead of the unending NBA playoffs.

Broncos Bassist
09-17-2009, 03:23 AM
The USFL was a Spring league. That was fine because there was no Rockies then.

A short spring league could be a great feeder league.

It will be interesting to see how "young" (maybe no college) talent does in the UFL.

Hence my comment about doing it right this time. The USFL seemed to want to either take over as the top football league, or at least share it with the NFL. That's a tough row to hoe. Let's hope this one succeeds, at least for a while.

i don't get this either. and they have a new york team and a florida team...

I get the frustration with that, but the Florida team (poorly named, IMHO) is in Orlando, which is the 3rd largest market with only one professional sports franchise. We don't even have the Preds anymore. There's market here for football, believe it or not. The Rage had one of the highest average number of seats sold per game in the XFL. Some of us get tired of seeing the Bucs/Jags/Fish on TV all the time. Those aren't our teams.

Of course, I'm biased as a Broncos fan. :D

but i'm excited. i've been waiting for kickoff for a long time now. i hope it develops into something that is competitive and sustainable.

i don't get the uniform colors though, at least not for the Redwoods... their colors aren't even red. lol.

also who keeps saying this is going to be a farm league? the guys who are putting the league together have stressed that they don't want this to seem like a farm league for the NFL (though it may end up so) but that they want it to be an equally pro league to go along-side the NFL and provide more football with more exposure since the NFL is starting to monopolize t.v. coverage and put most of its games on NFL Network.

with talent like they have listed above i think this league will do well. i just hope this inaugural season gets enough exposure to generate enough buzz to fuel the return for another season with more teams and more games.

now, there are only four teams... which one should i be a fan of? :confused:

It won't be a farm league in name to start with (there's no NFL franchise relationship with the teams, like the minor leagues), but the players will definitely be using it as a place to develop and hopefully land on an NFL team's roster. It will always be that way until the money and prestige equal out. Which will probably be never, in truth.

They got 3 head coaches who have taken teams to the NFL playoffs. In fact, didn't Fassel and Green face off in the 2000 NFC Championship? Anyway, it'll be cool to see a little spring football instead of the unending NBA playoffs.

Ahh, but it's not a spring league. They are set to kick off sometime around October, I think, and have about 8 weeks of football. The twist here is that they'll play on Thursday and Friday night, rather than on weekends to compete with NCAA and the NFL. The problem is football crazy states that are way into high school football. They might not like the competition.

expatRick
09-17-2009, 03:38 AM
Ahh, but it's not a spring league. They are set to kick off sometime around October, I think, and have about 8 weeks of football. The twist here is that they'll play on Thursday and Friday night, rather than on weekends to compete with NCAA and the NFL. The problem is football crazy states that are way into high school football. They might not like the competition.

This is unfortunate. I, for one, will be sporting a broomstick shaped dent in my forehead if I start watching 2 more nights of football.

famicommander
09-18-2009, 01:07 PM
Updated. Michael Pittman was officially announced as a Florida Tusker today.

broncomaniac333
09-18-2009, 01:22 PM

i thought da broncos traded bell and foster to da lions 4 dre bly not cut him he didnt get cut untill dis off season... at least thats wat i heard

broncomaniac333
09-18-2009, 01:23 PM
and not to mention tatum bell was da only bright spot on our offense wen da team was collapsing last season and he did pretty well might i add good luck to all da players... and yes bell is way better than jordan

Kavu
09-18-2009, 01:43 PM

Sorry to burst your bubble of anti Tatumism, but the Lions got him when we first cut him

lancane
09-18-2009, 03:00 PM

Ahhh...you mean the Shanahan Effect; making players look better then they are at times, particularly in the backfield.