PDA

View Full Version : The Soccer Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3

pozbaird
02-15-2010, 07:27 AM
There doesn't seem to be one, and as I have been guilty of mentioning the sport in other threads, I thought maybe a dedicated place for any Broncos fans to chat about the sport might be good, instead of idiots like me going off-topic in other threads.

Personally (see signature pic), I'm a lifelong fan of Scottish club St Mirren. We are from Paisley, 5 miles west of Glasgow, and play in the Scottish Premier League, Scotland's top league. I'm born and bred in Paisley, they are my local team. Soccer in Scotland is dominated by our two largest clubs, Celtic and Rangers, with both clubs coming from Glasgow. Rangers are in an area of Glasgow called Ibrox about 5 miles away from Paisley, Celtic in an area called Parkhead about 9 miles to the east. For us then, it is a major battle to have a successful and well-supported side, given our geographical proximity to the two 'giants'. Down the years though, we've done pretty well as a small 'underdog' team, and at the time of writing this, we have just reached one of Scotland's two major cup final competitions, where we will play Rangers in the final.

I also like following soccer in other leagues. My favourite English team is Newcastle United, and in Spain, I follow the results of Real Madrid.

Let battle commence..... :peace:

BRONCOS_OWN_U16
02-15-2010, 07:29 AM
there isnt a thread becaue soccer isnt a sport.

pozbaird
02-15-2010, 07:32 AM
there isnt a thread becaue soccer isnt a sport.

The rest of the planet might disagree, but thanks for your constructive input. Personally, I don't see what is entertaining about tall men lobbing a big brown ball into a small net, but I don't go into a basketball thread and try to tell people their sport is trash.

pozbaird
02-16-2010, 09:48 AM
Seems I'm the only one interested in the strange beast the world calls 'soccer'. I find it a bit puzzling - especially as the USA have a good team who qualified for the World Cup in South Africa, and were drawn in the same group as England. The USA women's team are a top team in the world too. You guys are pretty damn good at both the men's and women's World Cups. I hope some of you are planning to get behind the USA team in South Africa this summer!

Vhailor
02-16-2010, 09:55 AM
I am a Liverpool-fan. Got it from my dad. Kind of anguished over the state of the Reds right now.

In Spain, I follow Barcelona (began following them because of Romario) and Inter in Italy (began following them because of Nicola Ventola).

Andyy_47
02-17-2010, 09:47 AM
Another Newcastle fan? Say it ain't so, I love Newcastle!

I went down for the Shearer testimonial when they beat Celtic :) Was a great great day!

As you can tell my favourite team is Rangers, then Newcastle, in the EPL it has to be Arsenal, their football is amazing. I think though I'm one of the few people who like Manchester United. Their ethos and what they stand for is something I can respect: The player is never bigger than the club.

Good luck to the Buddies tonight. It's Ally McCoist managing tonight, and he'll end up picking Fleck, Andrew Little and stuff I expect.

Andyy_47
02-17-2010, 09:52 AM
The rest of the planet might disagree, but thanks for your constructive input. Personally, I don't see what is entertaining about tall men lobbing a big brown ball into a small net, but I don't go into a basketball thread and try to tell people their sport is trash.

Pretty much this. Nor do I see the merit in toothless canadians and eastern european, doing what can only be described as 'gliding on frozen water' to put a puck between two posts. Much like football, but I would never go into an NHL thread and rip it apart, each to their own.

And WWE and TNA aren't even sports. It's glorified amateur theater. But I won't go and tell everyone who posts in that thread that it's a waste of time and it's not a sport because everyone is entitled to their own. Funnily enough Soccer is by far the most popular sport in the world and played across every country in the world.

pozbaird
02-17-2010, 10:02 AM
Pretty much this. Nor do I see the merit in toothless canadians and eastern european, doing what can only be described as 'gliding on frozen water' to put a puck between two posts. Much like football, but I would never go into an NHL thread and rip it apart, each to their own.

And WWE and TNA aren't even sports. It's glorified amateur theater. But I won't go and tell everyone who posts in that thread that it's a waste of time and it's not a sport because everyone is entitled to their own. Funnily enough Soccer is by far the most popular sport in the world and played across every country in the world.

About three years or so ago my wife and I were on holiday in Toronto. The Maple Leafs were playing the Montreal Canadiens at the Air Canada Centre in a pre-season 'warm up' match. We got tickets for it, and as someone who knew little about the sport beforehand, I have to say it was sensational - they hate each other anyway, and it was a full-on in-your-face game. The Air Canada Centre is the best venue I've ever been in, anywhere. Steeply banked seats right on top of the rink, a full-house, and the atmosphere was electric.

We were lucky on that trip, because we also got tickets to see R.E.M. in concert at the Air Canada Centre too.

Back to soccer though.....I try to get down to see Newcastle once a season at least, they've been my favourite English team for years. Newcastle is a great place for a weekend visit anyway, and the stadium is slap-bang in the centre of town too. Hopefully they don't implode this season and get back to the Premiership.

Andyy_47
02-17-2010, 10:11 AM
About three years or so ago my wife and I were on holiday in Toronto. The Maple Leafs were playing the Montreal Canadiens at the Air Canada Centre in a pre-season 'warm up' match. We got tickets for it, and as someone who knew little about the sport beforehand, I have to say it was sensational - they hate each other anyway, and it was a full-on in-your-face game. The Air Canada Centre is the best venue I've ever been in, anywhere. Steeply banked seats right on top of the rink, a full-house, and the atmosphere was electric.

We were lucky on that trip, because we also got tickets to see R.E.M. in concert at the Air Canada Centre too.

Back to soccer though.....I try to get down to see Newcastle once a season at least, they've been my favourite English team for years. Newcastle is a great place for a weekend visit anyway, and the stadium is slap-bang in the centre of town too. Hopefully they don't implode this season and get back to the Premiership.

R.E.M, jealous.

I've tried to watch games but I really can't get through hockey, it gets me so incredibly bored. I can stomach Basketball if its a good game, college in particular is excellent.

But by far I think the two "most boring" sports in the eyes of everyone I know are NFL and MLB, both of which I really enjoy, I love NFL (clearly) and I'm just starting to get into MLB but I watch the whole post-season and loved it.

I hope they get into the premiership this year because they were so screwed out of it last year. Screwed by themselves, every result on that last day of the season went their way, and they blew if with an own goal.

I've loved them since Shearer signed for them. I can't say enough nice words about that man, signing for your hometown club as opposed to Man United really speaks volumes for him. I plan on going down soon to a game, Newcastle is just a fantastic city.

Oh and my tickets for the first game of Levein's reign as Scotland Manager came through today :D I'm really excited, bring back Boyd and Ferguson!!

xX-Bronco-Xx
02-17-2010, 10:11 AM
I'd love to watch soccer but it is never on and I don't have ESPN so there is no chance in me watching it!

I can't wait for the World Cup this summer though I'll definitely have to watch some of the games through the internet.

Andyy_47
02-17-2010, 10:14 AM
I'd love to watch soccer but it is never on and I don't have ESPN so there is no chance in me watching it!

I can't wait for the World Cup this summer though I'll definitely have to watch some of the games through the internet.

There is usually alot of streams going circulating the internet. For games.

I usually don't get too psyched for the World Cup, but this year should be great. As much as I hate to say it, I think England have a really good chance.

I'll catch up with this thread later, off to work!

Andyy_47
02-17-2010, 07:00 PM
Unlucky Poz...really thought that game was going to extra time. That proves why we need to pay Boyd. Especially since we just announced a large profitable year.

Rooney, one of the best players in the world? I've been saying it since the start of the season. He's below Messi, but above Ronaldo.

pozbaird
02-18-2010, 02:50 AM
Unlucky Poz...really thought that game was going to extra time. That proves why we need to pay Boyd. Especially since we just announced a large profitable year.

Rooney, one of the best players in the world? I've been saying it since the start of the season. He's below Messi, but above Ronaldo.

Nothing surer - as I said to you in a message before the game. I told you Boyd would score, I told you we could play for a month and not score, and I pointed out the two late goals we lost on Saturday against Dundee United, and indeed we lost again last night to a goal 4 minutes from time. Oh, so utterly predicatable.

Andyy_47
02-18-2010, 03:43 AM
Nothing surer - as I said to you in a message before the game. I told you Boyd would score, I told you we could play for a month and not score, and I pointed out the two late goals we lost on Saturday against Dundee United, and indeed we lost again last night to a goal 4 minutes from time. Oh, so utterly predicatable.

Yup, there's nothing surer in life than death, taxes, and Kris Boyd breaking hearts of other team's fans.

pozbaird
02-18-2010, 05:13 AM
Yup, there's nothing surer in life than death, taxes, and Kris Boyd breaking hearts of other team's fans.

...except Celtic's. How many has Boyd scored against Celtic again? :goofy:

Andyy_47
02-20-2010, 09:34 AM
...except Celtic's. How many has Boyd scored against Celtic again? :goofy:

How many times have Celtic fans gotten excited when Boyd has been left out the team and then gotten beaten thanks to someone as random as Kenny Miller scoring a double? Twice in two seasons. Love it

Raging about the game being called off today, we needed to have a 13 point cushion when Celtic kicked off today!

pozbaird
02-20-2010, 10:20 AM

How many times have Celtic fans gotten excited when Boyd has been left out the team and then gotten beaten thanks to someone as random as Kenny Miller scoring a double? Twice in two seasons. Love it

Raging about the game being called off today, we needed to have a 13 point cushion when Celtic kicked off today!

You should be a politician. Answer the question old chap! How many goals has Kris Boyd scored against Celtic? :thumb:

PS. We got a 1-1 draw at Kilmarnock today - hurrah for us.... well, at least we never lost.

Andyy_47
02-20-2010, 11:39 AM
You should be a politician. Answer the question old chap! How many goals has Kris Boyd scored against Celtic? :thumb:

PS. We got a 1-1 draw at Kilmarnock today - hurrah for us.... well, at least we never lost.

I anwered, 1.

pozbaird
02-22-2010, 05:06 AM
I anwered, 1.

I reckon that's 1 more than our entire team have scored against them in the last 5 years. :D

Andyy_47
02-22-2010, 08:03 AM
I reckon that's 1 more than our entire team have scored against them in the last 5 years. :D

It's a conspiracy! Could be worse, could have Jim Jeffries as manager, his teams lie down to Celtic every year.

What do you think of the Scotland squad, Boyd's retrurn! Big Lee on form coming back to the squad, I can't wait, my tickets came through today :)

pozbaird
02-22-2010, 10:11 AM
It's a conspiracy! Could be worse, could have Jim Jeffries as manager, his teams lie down to Celtic every year.

What do you think of the Scotland squad, Boyd's retrurn! Big Lee on form coming back to the squad, I can't wait, my tickets came through today :)

I think Levein is right to draw a line under anything that has went before, and to give himself a fighting chance, he needs to be able to pick the players he wants. He'd do even better if the likes of McGeady and McCarthy stopped playing at Plastic Paddies, but that's a WHOLE different story.

I'm more interested in seeing our new Adidas kit than the squad to be honest. I wish Levein and Scotland well naturally, but I'm more interested in St Mirren and the desperate financial state of Scottish football in general to be honest. Seems to me that our professional game is on a knife-edge and clubs could actually fold, whereas before they would get into trouble, but always found a way to bail themselves out. It could be a deck of cards - if one club goes under....

My own club are debt-free, in a new stadium, have a new training ground, and are in a cup final - but no-one is interested in buying out our current board of directors and taking us on. If the likes of Kilmarnock get relegated this season? They could be the first to actually disappear.

Putting all of this into context - Levein's Scotland squad doesn't overly concern me.

Andyy_47
02-22-2010, 03:10 PM
I think Levein is right to draw a line under anything that has went before, and to give himself a fighting chance, he needs to be able to pick the players he wants. He'd do even better if the likes of McGeady and McCarthy stopped playing at Plastic Paddies, but that's a WHOLE different story.

I'm more interested in seeing our new Adidas kit than the squad to be honest. I wish Levein and Scotland well naturally, but I'm more interested in St Mirren and the desperate financial state of Scottish football in general to be honest. Seems to me that our professional game is on a knife-edge and clubs could actually fold, whereas before they would get into trouble, but always found a way to bail themselves out. It could be a deck of cards - if one club goes under....

My own club are debt-free, in a new stadium, have a new training ground, and are in a cup final - but no-one is interested in buying out our current board of directors and taking us on. If the likes of Kilmarnock get relegated this season? They could be the first to actually disappear.

Putting all of this into context - Levein's Scotland squad doesn't overly concern me.

When is the new kit out?

Yeah, it's really bad right now, and there's no light on the horizon, even at the top, its a £3 million kitty, with £10 in the champions league, as of next year, neither old firm team will qualify. I guarantee it.

Are St. Mirren in europe due to this cup final btw? I know the Scottish FA Cup gives that. I just remember there being 5-6 teams in Europe from Scotland, RAngers, Celtic, Aberdeen, Hearts, Hibs and Falkirk.

pozbaird
02-23-2010, 03:29 AM
When is the new kit out?

Yeah, it's really bad right now, and there's no light on the horizon, even at the top, its a £3 million kitty, with £10 in the champions league, as of next year, neither old firm team will qualify. I guarantee it.

Are St. Mirren in europe due to this cup final btw? I know the Scottish FA Cup gives that. I just remember there being 5-6 teams in Europe from Scotland, RAngers, Celtic, Aberdeen, Hearts, Hibs and Falkirk.

Scotland's new Adidas kit is revealed on March 1st, and will be worn for the first time on March 3rd against the Czech Republic.

There's no European place for the League Cup winner - that stopped about 4 seasons ago, with the place going to finishing 4th in the SPL.

milehighireland
02-23-2010, 08:32 AM
This thread was needed ...

Huge Manchester United fan here, i go over to a couple of games in Old Trafford a year now...Like a lot of other United fans, I'm really worried about the state of the club thanks to the Glazers' meddling and greed... It scares me that the single largest sporting entity in the world is saddled with huge debt because of their greed...

I'd only casually follow the Spl but id be up for Celtic there, what with being Irish and all... Despite that, i do respect Rangers as a club, even though i dont agree with the actions of some of their fans...I hate Liverpool with a passion and i don't exactly like Real Madrid either lol..

pozbaird
02-23-2010, 12:41 PM
This thread was needed ...

Huge Manchester United fan here, i go over to a couple of games in Old Trafford a year now...Like a lot of other United fans, I'm really worried about the state of the club thanks to the Glazers' meddling and greed... It scares me that the single largest sporting entity in the world is saddled with huge debt because of their greed...

I'd only casually follow the Spl but id be up for Celtic there, what with being Irish and all... Despite that, i do respect Rangers as a club, even though i dont agree with the actions of some of their fans...I hate Liverpool with a passion and i don't exactly like Real Madrid either lol..

What's happening with Cork City over there? I read that they could fold completely. Sounds pretty drastic when you see the debt levels of English and Scottish clubs who always seem to dodge the bullet and play the administration joker card instead - shaft all their creditors, lay off some staff, then bounce back under a new owner all whiter-than-white and shiny clean, ready to run up unsustainable debts all over again.

Rant over. :D

milehighireland
02-24-2010, 05:11 AM
What's happening with Cork City over there? I read that they could fold completely. Sounds pretty drastic when you see the debt levels of English and Scottish clubs who always seem to dodge the bullet and play the administration joker card instead - shaft all their creditors, lay off some staff, then bounce back under a new owner all whiter-than-white and shiny clean, ready to run up unsustainable debts all over again.

Rant over. :D

They've been in trouble for quite a while already, i think they've already gone into administration a good while back too... you see, that trick works over in England and Scotland and not here because the eircom league is a bit of a joke at the best of times... If they go, they'll be like the 3rd or 4th team to fold in the last few years... Kilkenny and Dublin city did and shelbourne just about survived..

pozbaird
02-24-2010, 05:49 AM
They've been in trouble for quite a while already, i think they've already gone into administration a good while back too... you see, that trick works over in England and Scotland and not here because the eircom league is a bit of a joke at the best of times... If they go, they'll be like the 3rd or 4th team to fold in the last few years... Kilkenny and Dublin city did and shelbourne just about survived..

Our SPL is the biggest joke - look at Motherwell's pitch, clubs in a cold Northern European country whose undersoil heating never seems to work, who have several clubs teetering on the brink of administration, and have Rangers being run by Lloyds TSB, and a league, who, in these economic times allow a tuppeny' ha'penny club like Hamilton Academical to charge punters £22 for a midweek match in winter, played between two poor teams, on a poor playing surface, in a two-sided crap stadium in a totally crap town.

If you want a sick footballing joke - look no further than Scotland's SPL.

Andyy_47
02-24-2010, 07:30 AM
Our SPL is the biggest joke - look at Motherwell's pitch, clubs in a cold Northern European country whose undersoil heating never seems to work, who have several clubs teetering on the brink of administration, and have Rangers being run by Lloyds TSB, and a league, who, in these economic times allow a tuppeny' ha'penny club like Hamilton Academical to charge punters £22 for a midweek match in winter, played between two poor teams, on a poor playing surface, in a two-sided crap stadium in a totally crap town.

If you want a sick footballing joke - look no further than Scotland's SPL.

Your probably SICK of me talking about them, but the whole UEFA Cup final Fiasco with Rangers having to play 4 games in 11 days was a discgrace, I remember the hoots of laughter from the Russian and German leagues over that.

Financially it's only going to get worse after both the 1st and 2nd place teams (whoever they may be) can't qualify for the Champions League anymore. They won't.

SPL is a shambles.

Andyy_47
02-24-2010, 07:31 AM
Scotland's new Adidas kit is revealed on March 1st, and will be worn for the first time on March 3rd against the Czech Republic.

There's no European place for the League Cup winner - that stopped about 4 seasons ago, with the place going to finishing 4th in the SPL.

Matters not, we only get our co-efficient beaten harder when Scottish teams head into europe.

And cheers, I'll need to get me one with "BOYD 9" on the back :D

Welcome to the thread Milehighireland!

milehighireland
02-26-2010, 11:09 AM
Your probably SICK of me talking about them, but the whole UEFA Cup final Fiasco with Rangers having to play 4 games in 11 days was a discgrace, I remember the hoots of laughter from the Russian and German leagues over that.

Financially it's only going to get worse after both the 1st and 2nd place teams (whoever they may be) can't qualify for the Champions League anymore. They won't.

SPL is a shambles.

Well basically next year is the end of the SPL participation in the champions league... only the winners in and theyd have to play 2 qualifying rounds, with good teams from Italy, Spain and the 4th place team in the Premiership as possible opponents in the 3rd qualifying round...

SPL is a shambles but the eircom league over here is basically the same, but with even crapper teams and no old firm...

btw, have you been following the knockouts of the champions league? if so, what do you think of them?

milehighireland
02-28-2010, 07:42 AM
Wow, that Rangers win wasnt half poxy lol...

just wondering...how did bougherra last the whole match? on a yellow for over 80 mins and he commits about 9 fouls after it... baffling... and brown gets a red for lafferty faking a headbutt (and not for the first time)

either way, SPL trophy will remain in Ibrox until further notice... Mowbray has destroyed Celtic, I'll be expecting about a decade of Rangers dominance in the SPL now at least lol..

should United beat Villa in this coming match ill be happy though, a bit of silverware after all!

Sync
02-28-2010, 07:58 AM
... in the EPL it has to be Arsenal, their football is amazing. I think though I'm one of the few people who like Manchester United. A little late to this thread, but had to say - you're not allowed to like Arsenal and Man U.
That's almost as bad as saying you like Arsenal and Spurs... or Denver and Oakland.

:nono:

Andyy_47
02-28-2010, 08:04 AM
Scott Brown really did not do himself any favours by jumping about like a looney at every free kick going against Celtic and shouting at the referee constantly. He got in a tussle and lost his cool, and tried to stick the head in Lafferty, here's the picture from the BBC website here (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/scot_prem/8537948.stm). He shouldn't do things like that, and the referee drama all week did not do Celtic any favours.

Rangers deserved the 3 points I think today, they were the far superior team in the second half, it was a relatively poor game, Lafferty, Whittaker and Miller were awful, as was McGeady, Brown and Keane to an extent, wasn't all he cracked up to be. He was playing against a 39 year old who can't run, took him 4 weeks to run back after a corner lol.

I just want to know why they didn't discuss the penalty that Edu should have gotten when Hinkel pushed him away from the ball after the good save from Boruc from Boyd. It's always the same though, no talk of the disallowed goal either.

Bougherra was a lucky lucky boy, but was extremely unlucky to get a yellow in the first 10 minutes, with the first foul of the game, was a harsh decision also, but he set himself about the game. Kevin Thomson was magnificent in the tackling department.

But take a bow Mo Edu, he had a fantastic game when he came on, you can buckle as a foreigner in the Old Firm, or you can be solid like he was, I was happy with the performance overall, I thought we should have won by more.

The Carling Cup final should be interesting, why isn't Rooney starting? I love Berbatov but he's not fit to lick Rooney's boots! Enjoy the game!

Andyy_47
02-28-2010, 08:11 AM
A little late to this thread, but had to say - you're not allowed to like Arsenal and Man U.
That's almost as bad as saying you like Arsenal and Spurs... or Denver and Oakland.

:nono:

Yes you are! Lol, they don't come from the same area, you can't support both Manchester United and Manchester City, nor can you support Chelsea and Arsenal. The two teams dislike each other because they're competitive, like the Patriots and the Colts, but when Brady and Manning retire it'll just be another game. I really don't think it's the same with Man U and Arsenal will stop being competitive, but in perspective thats about as close to a similarity I can draw. Vieira and Keane added spice to the rivarly.

Andyy_47
02-28-2010, 08:13 AM
Well basically next year is the end of the SPL participation in the champions league... only the winners in and theyd have to play 2 qualifying rounds, with good teams from Italy, Spain and the 4th place team in the Premiership as possible opponents in the 3rd qualifying round...

SPL is a shambles but the eircom league over here is basically the same, but with even crapper teams and no old firm...

btw, have you been following the knockouts of the champions league? if so, what do you think of them?

I fancy another Barcelona, Man United final mate, two best players in the world, Rooney and Messi. Can't wait for it :)

milehighireland
02-28-2010, 09:20 AM
The Carling Cup final should be interesting, why isn't Rooney starting? I love Berbatov but he's not fit to lick Rooney's boots! Enjoy the game!

This final is one damn good game... i suppose rooney wasn't starting cause Sir Alex likes to give some of the second string a run in the carling cup....

Im pretty amazed Vidic is still on the pitch, that penalty he gave away was a straight red any day of the week.... either way, berbatov and owen did a great job for our goal....

milehighireland
02-28-2010, 09:35 AM
... And Rooney scores a header. Imagine that. :D

Andyy_47
02-28-2010, 11:54 AM
Man U beat a very good Aston Villa team today and thoroughly deserved the trophy, I missed most of the game, but saw the highlights and the goals. Man U could have been more than 1 goal winners.

Vidic was lucky, but the pressure of a cup final wil lget to refs like that, it's to be expected.

pozbaird
02-28-2010, 12:24 PM
Just a shame there was a winner in the Old Firm match. A 0-0 draw is always better for the Accident & Emergency units across Scotland, and to keep domestic violence in Old Firm fan households to a minimum.

As for Celtic's pre-match querying of officialdom and their neutrality. What a barefaced cheek. If they feel hard done by in Old Firm matches, now they know what it's like for 10 of the SPL clubs when they play Celtic. Nakamura's dive for a last-minute winner against St Mirren at Love Street, or Will Haining being sent off for nothing against them at Celtic Park when Venegoor of Hesselink blatantly dived, or the cup game against them at our new ground (which we actually won), but the penalty we scored from should have been a straight red card for McManus as he hauled Dargo down in a last - man stops goal challenge, or the game against them at Love Street where Artur Boruc raced from his goal and halved Craig Dargo in two, when even Gordon Strachan said it was a red card....oh aye, Celtic's paranoia is in full swing as usual.

The Scott Brown sending off was simply down to the fact that both Brown and Lafferty are stupid, thick, or, in the case of Lafferty, stupid, thick, and a cheat. (Aberdeen 'head-butt' sending off anyone?). Brown is a serial offender idiot. If he had a brain he'd be dangerous. Handbags at 10 paces, the referee should have got the two of them together, flashed a couple of yellow cards and told them to calm down. Bougherra was lucky to stay on I suppose. Having been booked early he did commit a few fouls after that.

Oh well, on Saturday we visit Ibrox on league duty. Maybe some of the Rangers players will think the league race is over and will switch off mentally. Some hope - Boyd will score at least two. In our annual battle against relegation, I'm more worried about the fact on Sunday, Celtic play bottom club Falkirk. Just the kind of fixture now where Falkirk might pull off an unlikely win. Fingers crossed that doesn't happen - we're so poor we need all the help we can get!

milehighireland
03-01-2010, 06:38 AM
Just a shame there was a winner in the Old Firm match. A 0-0 draw is always better for the Accident & Emergency units across Scotland, and to keep domestic violence in Old Firm fan households to a minimum.

As for Celtic's pre-match querying of officialdom and their neutrality. What a barefaced cheek. If they feel hard done by in Old Firm matches, now they know what it's like for 10 of the SPL clubs when they play Celtic. Nakamura's dive for a last-minute winner against St Mirren at Love Street, or Will Haining being sent off for nothing against them at Celtic Park when Venegoor of Hesselink blatantly dived, or the cup game against them at our new ground (which we actually won), but the penalty we scored from should have been a straight red card for McManus as he hauled Dargo down in a last - man stops goal challenge, or the game against them at Love Street where Artur Boruc raced from his goal and halved Craig Dargo in two, when even Gordon Strachan said it was a red card....oh aye, Celtic's paranoia is in full swing as usual.

The Scott Brown sending off was simply down to the fact that both Brown and Lafferty are stupid, thick, or, in the case of Lafferty, stupid, thick, and a cheat. (Aberdeen 'head-butt' sending off anyone?). Brown is a serial offender idiot. If he had a brain he'd be dangerous. Handbags at 10 paces, the referee should have got the two of them together, flashed a couple of yellow cards and told them to calm down. Bougherra was lucky to stay on I suppose. Having been booked early he did commit a few fouls after that.

Oh well, on Saturday we visit Ibrox on league duty. Maybe some of the Rangers players will think the league race is over and will switch off mentally. Some hope - Boyd will score at least two. In our annual battle against relegation, I'm more worried about the fact on Sunday, Celtic play bottom club Falkirk. Just the kind of fixture now where Falkirk might pull off an unlikely win. Fingers crossed that doesn't happen - we're so poor we need all the help we can get!

I think Celtic were trying to copy something David Moyes did last year by criticising the refereeing... Before a Cup semi final last year, Moyes cleverly decided hed criticise referees for "favouring" Man United, even though nothing of the sort had happened all season.... sure enough anyways, it changes the ref's perspective of the game totally and in a game won by everton on penalties he denies United a stonewall penalty in regulation so as not to be "favouring" us. Seems Celtic were trying that tactic and it simply did not work.

Yeah, brown didn't do himself any favours, he should have known that little scumbag lafferty would react like that after that fake headbutt at aberdeen. Either way, 2 yellows should have been the worst there, a similar thing happened in saturdays Man City/Chelsea game with Tevez and Terry losing their cool at one another... Ref just pulled them apart, cautioned them and told them to cool it.

Id say Celtic will at least draw that, if not lose.... theyre absolutely rubbish lol. 2nd Place could well go to Hibs.

Andyy_47
03-01-2010, 08:44 AM
I think Celtic were trying to copy something David Moyes did last year by criticising the refereeing... Before a Cup semi final last year, Moyes cleverly decided hed criticise referees for "favouring" Man United, even though nothing of the sort had happened all season.... sure enough anyways, it changes the ref's perspective of the game totally and in a game won by everton on penalties he denies United a stonewall penalty in regulation so as not to be "favouring" us. Seems Celtic were trying that tactic and it simply did not work.

Yeah, brown didn't do himself any favours, he should have known that little scumbag lafferty would react like that after that fake headbutt at aberdeen. Either way, 2 yellows should have been the worst there, a similar thing happened in saturdays Man City/Chelsea game with Tevez and Terry losing their cool at one another... Ref just pulled them apart, cautioned them and told them to cool it.

Id say Celtic will at least draw that, if not lose.... theyre absolutely rubbish lol. 2nd Place could well go to Hibs.

Aye but standards need to be upheld regardless of the occasion, with Terry and Tevez they just puffed their chests at each other, Craig Bellamy came firing over like a shot, I hate that little runt.

In Dougie McDonald's referee report for a booking he would have to write "Scott Brown - Celtic number 8, reason: Violent Conduct - Attempted to headbutt Rangers number 27"

There's been worse dismissals for the same reason in the past and I think Lafferty deserved a yellow for his part in it all, but I can't argue with the decision to send off Brown, the fact he grabs Lafferty's shirt and drives his head into his chest (and you can see it was malicious from the look on his face) is enough to warrant a red. He's celtic captain, he NEEDS to keep his cool. Before the game he was saying how he's matured and growing into the captains role. Aye right!

All I can say is thank you, USA, for producing Maurice Edu! He had a great game after coming on. Well done to the lad!

pozbaird
03-01-2010, 09:07 AM
Referees should just send Scott Brown and Kyle Lafferty off in every game anyway. Doesn't matter if they've done anything wrong or not, just send em' off. :D

3 million pounds Rangers paid Burnley for Kyle Lafferty? Nah, you're pulling my leg!

Andyy_47
03-01-2010, 04:09 PM
Referees should just send Scott Brown and Kyle Lafferty off in every game anyway. Doesn't matter if they've done anything wrong or not, just send em' off. :D

3 million pounds Rangers paid Burnley for Kyle Lafferty? Nah, you're pulling my leg!

And we've just been gifted 3 million quid by Celtic for the league title. So basically a free player!

Yeah he's dire down the left, he simply can't play there. I have a strong feeling he was brought in to replace Cousin for Europe, a tall centre forward to chase the long ball and hold up play...unfortunately we've not had the chance to play anyone and play 4-5-1 yet because he's been either injured or its a team we supposedly can beat...

milehighireland
03-05-2010, 07:18 AM
Michael Owen has been ruled out for the rest of the season.... Gutted.... Was dying to see him coming on as a late substitute to score a 93rd minute winner against liverpool in old trafford in a couple of weeks time.....

Andyy_47
03-05-2010, 09:35 AM
This really is Arsenal's league to lose now, they've got a much easier run in than Chelsea and Manchester United. They can't afford to slip up again. They need to win to keep Fabregas.

Scotland win! First time since 1996 at home. Superb!!

milehighireland
03-05-2010, 08:34 PM
This really is Arsenal's league to lose now, they've got a much easier run in than Chelsea and Manchester United. They can't afford to slip up again. They need to win to keep Fabregas.

Scotland win! First time since 1996 at home. Superb!!

Arsenal still wont win out, if United can navigate the city away game and chelsea/liverpool games at home it's ours... again... Honestly, I will go INSANE if we lose the title to a team we swept this year and beat convincingly a month ago in their own backyard.

imo Fabregas will go if he wants to. If Arsenal win the title and he goes, he'll use the argument that Ronaldo used to leave us for madrid, that he had done his service for us and wanted to go to his boyhood club. If they don't he'll use the argument that he's just not winning major honours with Arsenal.

Yeah i saw that...good to hear, seeing as one of our finest players in Darren Fletcher is your captain!:D

Andyy_47
03-06-2010, 05:41 PM
Arsenal still wont win out, if United can navigate the city away game and chelsea/liverpool games at home it's ours... again... Honestly, I will go INSANE if we lose the title to a team we swept this year and beat convincingly a month ago in their own backyard.

imo Fabregas will go if he wants to. If Arsenal win the title and he goes, he'll use the argument that Ronaldo used to leave us for madrid, that he had done his service for us and wanted to go to his boyhood club. If they don't he'll use the argument that he's just not winning major honours with Arsenal.

Yeah i saw that...good to hear, seeing as one of our finest players in Darren Fletcher is your captain!:D

One of your finest players, but the guy pulls a completele...well...what can only be known as a Darren Fletcher now in international games. Never seen him put in a good shift for us.

13 points clear...my my..can Celtic catch us?! :D

milehighireland
03-06-2010, 06:49 PM
One of your finest players, but the guy pulls a completele...well...what can only be known as a Darren Fletcher now in international games. Never seen him put in a good shift for us.

13 points clear...my my..can Celtic catch us?! :D

Weird, seeing as he's usually brilliant for us. Huge fan of him, he rarely has a bad game for us and really turns it on in big games, notably against Arsenal. Wearing my FLETCHER 24 jersey as i type this too lol :D

Not. a. hope. Celtic will probably lose tomorrow as well, i could see Rangers winning this by 20+ points and completely humiliating Celtic, who might not even get second lol.

Andyy_47
03-07-2010, 07:55 AM
Weird, seeing as he's usually brilliant for us. Huge fan of him, he rarely has a bad game for us and really turns it on in big games, notably against Arsenal. Wearing my FLETCHER 24 jersey as i type this too lol :D

Not. a. hope. Celtic will probably lose tomorrow as well, i could see Rangers winning this by 20+ points and completely humiliating Celtic, who might not even get second lol.

Fletcher is brilliant for Man U, problem with Scotland is we have Scott Brown, Darren Fletcher and Kevin Thomson, all in the same position, all virtually the same player, the one who gets the quick pass away and loves a good tackle.

Andyy_47
03-10-2010, 05:29 PM
Champions league knockouts have been outstanding so far. Call it one sided or whatever, nothing pleases me more than watching one side in the ascendancy and watching fantastic football. Samir Nasri's goal was unbelievable.

milehighireland
03-11-2010, 04:34 PM
Champions league knockouts have been outstanding so far. Call it one sided or whatever, nothing pleases me more than watching one side in the ascendancy and watching fantastic football. Samir Nasri's goal was unbelievable.

Aye i agree, that was an impressive display by arsenal..

Think we topped it last night though! 4-0 against AC Milan is a wee bit impressive :D

Seriously, can anybody stop Wayne Rooney?

Real madrid knocked out too, im delighted for them! It's not all about having the money, lads!:D

Liverpool managed to lose twice this week already and it's only thursday.... LOL

SheerCold
03-11-2010, 04:42 PM
I like Soccer, but I don't get the chance to watch it that often since I live in the United States.

My favorite team is Real Madrid though.

Andyy_47
03-12-2010, 06:51 AM
Aye i agree, that was an impressive display by arsenal..

Think we topped it last night though! 4-0 against AC Milan is a wee bit impressive :D

Seriously, can anybody stop Wayne Rooney?

Real madrid knocked out too, im delighted for them! It's not all about having the money, lads!:D

Liverpool managed to lose twice this week already and it's only thursday.... LOL

I've been saying it since Ronaldo was banging goals in, the reason for his success is having a striker like Wayne Rooney in front of him. He's too good right now.

Delighted that Real Madrid are out, but for the sake of the Scottish co-efficient we wanted an all spain final, bleh.

It was good to see Ronaldo crying again though, I liked him at Man U, said all the right things, then fled. Politics within football annoy me like that.

The AC Milan game was great to watch, I was working though, but whenever I was in the restaurant with the TV on (sadly I was on room service and only saw the occasional little bit between going into rooms and getting people to sign the bill) and damn near every time I walked through the restaurant, Man U scored. Again Fletcher seemed to have a good game. Why can't he do that for Scotland?...

And the Mighty Gers go 13 points clear again! Time is running out!!!

100%Broncoholic
03-13-2010, 06:02 AM
Good Morning gents! Glad to find others who love "communist kickball" as I have heard it called around here.

I actually live in a pretty rich soccer area and love it. Played in college and now in a beer league as a goalkeeper.

Man U fan by default, them and Ajax were always on tv when soccer was shown on ESPN here in the 90s, plus Schmeichel was BEAST!! A few of my friends are Villa fans, two liverpool Fans, and two Spur fans.

My best friend plays professionally in the USL 2 for Real Maryland and indoor for the Baltimore Blast as a goalkeeper.

I look forward toward conversations w Bronco fans and soccer fans what a combo!

milehighireland
03-14-2010, 11:18 AM
Good Morning gents! Glad to find others who love "communist kickball" as I have heard it called around here.

I actually live in a pretty rich soccer area and love it. Played in college and now in a beer league as a goalkeeper.

Man U fan by default, them and Ajax were always on tv when soccer was shown on ESPN here in the 90s, plus Schmeichel was BEAST!! A few of my friends are Villa fans, two liverpool Fans, and two Spur fans.

My best friend plays professionally in the USL 2 for Real Maryland and indoor for the Baltimore Blast as a goalkeeper.

I look forward toward conversations w Bronco fans and soccer fans what a combo!

Fellow red, nice! Another 3 points and another 2 goals for Rooney, he's fast ascending to God status now, lol

Liverpool at home next now.... i'm worried about this one tbh, even though they've been nothing short of pathetic lately and will have two other games this week, as opposed to us having the entire week off...

Sync
03-14-2010, 12:28 PM
If Arsenal won the title, I'm telling you now the area I live in would go completely mental. I'm about 10mins away from their old stadium, a little bit further from their new one... but, they won't. Lucky I don't follow soccer all that closely any more because watching my uncle getting more and more frustrated as our team failed to put away a relegation-zone club- down to ten men- right until stoppage time... kinda reminded me that suffering through the Broncos seasons as of late is as much emotional turmoil as I can take!

100%Broncoholic
03-15-2010, 05:41 PM
Oh no Beckham...rips tHe achilles which I hear is quit painful. A real shame though since he wanted to play in his fourth world cup. Unfortunately he isn't a goalkeeper like Shilton who was like a fine wine and got better w age.

Will this really effect England?

I can't wait till June 12!

Andyy_47
03-16-2010, 06:48 AM
Capello has extended an olive branch to Beckham regarding his international career. This is not the end for Beckham in an England jersey.

milehighireland
03-16-2010, 06:44 PM
Capello has extended an olive branch to Beckham regarding his international career. This is not the end for Beckham in an England jersey.

Nah but tonight was the end of Chelsea's champions league campaign for another year!! DELIGHTED!

Beaten off their own pitch by the Special One - LOVE IT.

As usual, all their players behaved as expected with Drogba getting sent off again and John Terry shouting abuse at officials after the match (even pushing his own teammate out of the way so as to shout at an official)...

Andyy_47
03-16-2010, 07:07 PM
I'd honestly like Chelsea if it wasn't for Drogba. I like Terry, I like Lampard. But Drogba just does my box in.

He epitomises everything thats wrong with Football. He disprespects officials, he whines, he dives, he scores, and is lauded with praise for doing his job. Pathetic really. Still a £26 million Heskey.

Sync
03-16-2010, 07:22 PM
There is nothing to like about Chelsea. They set the standard for someone coming in and thinking they can buy the league, which really epitomizes everything that's wrong with soccer right now. It is a pleasure to watch them fail. And the irony of how it happened is just the oh-so-delicious icing on the cake.

Andyy_47
03-17-2010, 05:44 AM
There is nothing to like about Chelsea. They set the standard for someone coming in and thinking they can buy the league, which really epitomizes everything that's wrong with soccer right now. It is a pleasure to watch them fail. And the irony of how it happened is just the oh-so-delicious icing on the cake.

I see where your coming from and agree, they did buy the league, initially, but they've hardly spent money since 2008? Ballack was a bosman, Zhirkov I think was the last decent signing they made financially.

I just loved their "Us against the world" attitude under Mourinho, they know fine well they were hated, but savoured that hate and used it to spur them on. I hate Ashley Cole, Drogba, Malouda, Carvalho, not so hot on Ballack, Anelka is overrated also, but the rest of the team I like, Lampard and Terry are fantastic english footballers. Thats coming from a Scotsman, and it pains me to say that!

milehighireland
03-19-2010, 05:28 AM
United draw Bayern munich in the quarter finals, second leg in Old Trafford and the winner plays the winner of Lyon vs Bordeaux in the semis! delighted with that draw!

Arsenal get Barcelona, with the 2nd leg in the Nou Camp and the winner playing the winner of Inter v CSKA (basically that's gonna be Inter)... ouch

Andyy_47
03-19-2010, 05:37 AM
Nasty draw for Arsenal, but if you don't mind me saying, that's two of the best teams to watch in the world, playing each other. I fully expect Barcelona to absolutely hammer Arsenal.

How good was the football this week? Seriously, I was glued to the screen all week, the quality of the matches was fantastic, the games were great, all had great subplots, chelsea vs inter was the worst though.

GO ON THE FULHAM!!

100%Broncoholic
03-19-2010, 08:54 AM

I'm glad Van Der Sar doesn't have to wear a helmet when he plays....that may have been one of the nastier hits on a keeper that Cech took.

Sync
03-19-2010, 09:52 AM
We're screwed.

:doh:

Dammit, college will be unbearable.

milehighireland
03-21-2010, 04:54 AM
We're screwed.

:doh:

Dammit, college will be unbearable.

Tottenham fans?

United v Liverpool in 90 mins.... so nervous!!

Andyy_47
03-21-2010, 05:22 AM
Come on Man United, put the final nails in Benitez's coffin. Hate that arrogant piece of turd.

100%Broncoholic
03-21-2010, 06:11 AM
A friend of mine went to see the Liverpool Man U match. He is in a suite on the south end. He won it through work and went w his boss. Best part is he is a Liverpool fan and this was his only chance to see them.

Go You Red!! Man U!!!

milehighireland
03-21-2010, 06:19 AM
Come on Man United, put the final nails in Benitez's coffin. Hate that arrogant piece of turd.

Ahh no i want the Fat Spanish Waiter to stay there, he's ruining them!:D
Don't particularly like the man though, he comes across as a nasty, arrogant individual and some of his own players have voiced negative opinions of him.

Hope that scumbag Gerrard gets sent off today, i can't believe he's even playing today after elbowing michael brown in the face on monday and telling a referee to F off while putting two fingers up to his face the week before...

milehighireland
03-21-2010, 06:24 AM
Funnily enough, that commentary box that the Sky Sports team is in right now.. I sat right in front of it at the Champions league quarter final against Porto last season. The ITV team was in it that time, with Teddy Sheringham on the analysis team. Me and a few mates looked back, saw him there and waved up at him. He nodded and waved back! good times! :D

Andyy_47
03-21-2010, 10:09 AM
Well pozzy, hats off to your team, you played us off the park for large parts of the game. How yous lost to a 9 man team is beyond me! I'm happy, not with the performance, but the result, it was extremely disappointed that we didn't put in a good shift, but winning does me happy, now I'm off to get absolutely blitzed to celebrate.

milehighireland
03-21-2010, 11:11 AM
Delighted with the result today, I absolutely love it when we beat the scouse!! Thought Torres was getting very snappy today, with the fouls, the petulant kick when we got the penalty and the consistent backchat to Howard Webb....Must be getting sick of wasting his considerable talent at such a completely average club :P

Chelsea drop 2 points to Blackburn today as well, brilliant!!!:D

Andyy_47
03-21-2010, 12:33 PM
Aye it all went well for Manchester United, but imagine a loss to Chelsea at this point...Believe me now that Arsenal are more than in this title race?! :D

milehighireland
03-21-2010, 12:44 PM
Aye it all went well for Manchester United, but imagine a loss to Chelsea at this point...Believe me now that Arsenal are more than in this title race?! :D

Oh yeah but next weekend could be so crucial too, Arsenal have an away game to Birmingham without gallas or vermaelen... and Birmingham have been very good at home this year under Big 'Eck..

There were three games in this run in for us that i've been saying would decide the title race. Todays game, Chelsea at home on Easter Saturday and City away on April 17th.

We've won the first of those now so keep it up lads!

Flockyoffef
03-23-2010, 09:13 AM
The Thinking Thread III: Thoughts Think Again The random thoughts of SoapChatters are still brewing and they once again have a home

Andyy_47
03-24-2010, 02:53 PM
I see a cup for Dundee United this season!

Super-Buddies-Go-Ballistic-Celtic-Are-Atrocious :D

pozbaird
03-25-2010, 03:02 PM
Well pozzy, hats off to your team, you played us off the park for large parts of the game. How yous lost to a 9 man team is beyond me! I'm happy, not with the performance, but the result, it was extremely disappointed that we didn't put in a good shift, but winning does me happy, now I'm off to get absolutely blitzed to celebrate.

It's been a week I won't forget in a hurry. Sunday at Hampden was the lowest point in my 33 years supporting St Mirren. We were so good in the first half, but couldn't get a goal, then we bottled it and fell to pieces against 9 men.

Fast forward 3 days and we face Celtic - we won 4-0, the result also earning Celtic manager Tony Mowbray the sack. Oh my aching sides. We were sensational. Celtic's worst defeat to anyone outwith Rangers in 30 years. Just brilliant.

I was at both games. From the depths of despair to the top of the mountain in a few days. Honestly, every St Mirren season ticket should carry a government health warning.

I'm still receiving counselling, but my valium intake is decreasing. :D

milehighireland
03-25-2010, 05:46 PM
I nearly see that game last night as being a win win for everbody now.. St Mirren fans obviously delighted and it gave Gers fans a great laugh the same night they went out of the scottish cup...Sure it was humiliating for Celtic, but they were never going to win the SPL after the last old firm anyways and it got them rid of Mowbray, who imo has done much more harm than good during his time there.

Say what you like about Strachan when he was there, he got the results, 2 last 16 qualifications in the champions league and 3 SPL titles, yet got binned the minute he doesnt win the SPL title...

Mowbray comes in, has the club out of Europe by August(although, to be fair, Arsenal was a NASTY draw) and out of the title race by late February, while meanwhile selling quality players like Scott McDonald and Gary Caldwell, just papering over the cracks with a loan signing of Robbie Keane... It's not like Rangers' squad vastly improved this year either, it probably weakened from last year, with Mendes and Ferguson now gone...
However, Walter Smith(who i have great respect for) is a FAR better manager than Mowbray and still got the results. Mowbray just matched Rangers' squad losses with some equally crucial players from celtic (and then a few more) while not getting the performances out of his team, with last nights result a clear example.

For all the criticism Strachan took, he still won the trophies and took the title race to the wire the year he didnt win it. I guarantee Celtic would have won at least 1 old firm this year if he was still at the helm, for one thing, even if it would have been flukey.

Either way it was time for Mowbray to go, so last nights result was good for them in that sense. Hope Neil Lennon can do a better job, i have great time for him and it would be fitting if he had success at Celtic, given his legend status there.

pozbaird
03-26-2010, 12:10 PM
I nearly see that game last night as being a win win for everbody now.. St Mirren fans obviously delighted and it gave Gers fans a great laugh the same night they went out of the scottish cup...Sure it was humiliating for Celtic, but they were never going to win the SPL after the last old firm anyways and it got them rid of Mowbray, who imo has done much more harm than good during his time there.

Say what you like about Strachan when he was there, he got the results, 2 last 16 qualifications in the champions league and 3 SPL titles, yet got binned the minute he doesnt win the SPL title...

Mowbray comes in, has the club out of Europe by August(although, to be fair, Arsenal was a NASTY draw) and out of the title race by late February, while meanwhile selling quality players like Scott McDonald and Gary Caldwell, just papering over the cracks with a loan signing of Robbie Keane... It's not like Rangers' squad vastly improved this year either, it probably weakened from last year, with Mendes and Ferguson now gone...
However, Walter Smith(who i have great respect for) is a FAR better manager than Mowbray and still got the results. Mowbray just matched Rangers' squad losses with some equally crucial players from celtic (and then a few more) while not getting the performances out of his team, with last nights result a clear example.

For all the criticism Strachan took, he still won the trophies and took the title race to the wire the year he didnt win it. I guarantee Celtic would have won at least 1 old firm this year if he was still at the helm, for one thing, even if it would have been flukey.

Either way it was time for Mowbray to go, so last nights result was good for them in that sense. Hope Neil Lennon can do a better job, i have great time for him and it would be fitting if he had success at Celtic, given his legend status there.

We now have a superb record of getting opposition managers the heave-ho. Dunfermline fired Jim Leishman after a loss at home to St Mirren, Rangers gave Paul Le Guen the bullet after we drew 1-1 at Ibrox, and yesterday Celtic canned Mowbray after we humiliated his troops 4-0.

Tomorrow we go up to Aberdeen, where Muttley McGhee is packing clean underpants for the upcoming 90 minutes. I also have it on good authority that John Hughes is frantically scanning the upcoming fixture list to make sure his hapless Hibs side aren't due to face the mighty Mirren.

No manager is safe. :salute:

Andyy_47
03-26-2010, 07:45 PM
To be fair, take away Jerome Rothen's loan spell, and you see Rangers haven't signed a player for 18 months. To lose the league cup and league to a team that has done nothing got gotten weaker over the course of 18 months and is in financial crisis is shocking. Celtic have dug their own graves, potential investors while see Rangers as a more viable business optional now with the Champions League kitty in place, and a relatively stable manager and staff in place.

With some money, things could be looking up!

milehighireland
03-27-2010, 07:21 AM
To be fair, take away Jerome Rothen's loan spell, and you see Rangers haven't signed a player for 18 months. To lose the league cup and league to a team that has done nothing got gotten weaker over the course of 18 months and is in financial crisis is shocking. Celtic have dug their own graves, potential investors while see Rangers as a more viable business optional now with the Champions League kitty in place, and a relatively stable manager and staff in place.

With some money, things could be looking up!

Yeah, in the 90s when Rangers were in total control of the Scottish league, Celtic were struggling financially... what did Rangers do? Like a true rival, they kept on winning, effectively going out in a boat to a drowning Celtic, putting a hose in its mouth and turning on the tap. Indeed, Celtic VERY nearly went bankrupt back then.

Fast forward to now and Celtic allow a Rangers team in deep financial crisis to gain a foothold and climb back into control...

While Rangers did everything to hurt Celtic more when Celtic had money troubles, Celtic basically went out in a boat and rescued their drowning enemy by refusing to spend money, despite a near debt free status and by not strengthening the stranglehold they held on the SPL up to a year ago.

Rangers have only begun to make them pay for it.

Andyy_47
03-27-2010, 11:25 AM
Arsenal, that won't help you win the league!

Lampard today was outstanding, I still reckon they finish third though.

milehighireland
03-27-2010, 07:19 PM
Arsenal, that won't help you win the league!

Lampard today was outstanding, I still reckon they finish third though.

Didn't I say a few posts back that Birmingham could prove tricky for Arsenal? Seems i got that one spot on! :D

Yeah he had one of the games of his life. At least he's on my fantasy team!

You reckon they'll finish 3rd still? So id guess you think we'll win next saturday?

The way today panned out, if we get the 3 points next saturday, its ours to lose...

Andyy_47
04-01-2010, 08:57 AM
Didn't I say a few posts back that Birmingham could prove tricky for Arsenal? Seems i got that one spot on! :D

Yeah he had one of the games of his life. At least he's on my fantasy team!

You reckon they'll finish 3rd still? So id guess you think we'll win next saturday?

The way today panned out, if we get the 3 points next saturday, its ours to lose...

Well that's Arsenal well and truely out of the title race. Fabregas is out for the season!

Hopefully the Gers pick up 3 points on Saturday and stop arsing around and playing terribly against dangerous teams like St. Johnstone and Dundee United like that have two times in the last two weeks!

Man United might be in dire straits losing Rooney for a week or two though...

xX-Bronco-Xx
04-01-2010, 02:26 PM
Wassup you soccer fans I recently just bought Fifa 10 and am loving it so far. I made a virtual pro and I want him to be a forward (Left footed) but what freakin puzzles me is all these damn position names that I have no clue what they are!

So my question is what are the differences between ST, L(R)S, L(R)W, R(L)F, CF? What exactly do these positions do?

If someone could give me the info on these and the rest I'd be more than happy to reward you with CP's.

:salute:

Andyy_47
04-02-2010, 08:25 AM
Wassup you soccer fans I recently just bought Fifa 10 and am loving it so far. I made a virtual pro and I want him to be a forward (Left footed) but what freakin puzzles me is all these damn position names that I have no clue what they are!

So my question is what are the differences between ST, L(R)S, L(R)W, R(L)F, CF? What exactly do these positions do?

If someone could give me the info on these and the rest I'd be more than happy to reward you with CP's.

:salute:

A general team will set up like so:

Goalkeeper (GK) - Self Explanatory, protect the goals with your hands. I can't even give you a best in the world, goalkeepers mostly blow very hot and cold.

Centre Backs - They're job is to play backs to the wall football, man mark the strikers, generally, and tackle the opposition to gain possession. Another form of this role is the Sweeper (SWP), who is literally as far back as you can go who is there to "sweep" up afterwards and get the ball out of dangers way. Too much debate as to who is the best in the world here. I'd put Terry head and shoulders above everyone, in his prime, going through a bad patch now though.

Full backs (LB/RB) - Protect the flanks from crosses coming in. In recent memory the position has evolved with Wing Backs (WBR/WBL), who also provide attacking options, a good example of this in the modern era is probably Dani Alves (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UjzeErAeSI) of Barcelona, the best in the business at the attack side of the defenders game.

Midfielders:

There are two roles of a midfielder, the defensive midfielder (DM), who is an anchorman between the defense and midfield and try to disrupt attacks and protect their backline, and this is usually against the opposite number in midfield known as the attacking midfielder (AMC). The attacking midfielder tries to link the ball to his strikers and start attacks. Both would fall under in fifa under the term (CM)

Three of the best in these positions are the pairing of Xavi and Iniesta (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRU8d1q497M) and Fabregas (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KTaSnB3aV4) as far as linking the balls to attack go. Other honorable mentions to go Lampard (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtsLsuSqnZE) and Kaka (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wvX_n4SGqQ&feature=related)

Wingers (LM/RM) try to expose the flank and cross the ball into their strikers to score as simply as possible with an easy chance coming from a good cross, usually.

Best out and out Winger in the world right now would probably be Franck Ribery (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-_kOVGhOGk)
Sadly there's no videos of him doing what Wingers do best, but believe you me, this guy is a fantastic winger.

Forwards:

This is by far the most complicated position because of the way different teams use their strikers, who are more than often the focal point of any team.

There is the Centre Forwards (and incorporated sides of the field, such as LF/CF/RF). These players are more likely the play with the ball at their feet, and are the complete package as far as strikers are concerned, perhaps less polished at finishing but that varies from player to player. The best in the business (debate over this since their roles are debatable) is Lionel Messi (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMN6ihCsIP4&feature=related). The ridiculously gifted Argentian (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJh5-zEsLfM&feature=related) is unanimously the best footballer in the planet right now, I'm sure everyone will agree there, and I would have him pegged as a forward.

Out and out strikers (ST) usually play up front themselves and play on the shoulder of the CBs. They run onto balls and get themselves on the end of crosses from the wings. I'd say the best Striker right now is Wayne Rooney (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJEPGPNHopI), (if milehighireland agrees he's a striker, he plays well with the ball at his feet but his form this season and the goals with his head would in my opinion put him as a ST right now).

And that's about it, any other questions feel free to hit me up with a PM or reply here dude.

100%Broncoholic
04-03-2010, 07:14 PM
Best Gks

Tim Howard
Peter Cech
Buffon

Three of my favorite GKs in the world to watch play

Youtube Peter Schmeicel for those of you who don't know the Great Dane!

xX-Bronco-Xx
04-03-2010, 09:54 PM
Thanks so much Andy this actually helps me out a lot. I'm probably going to have more questions later so I'll keep you notified when I do. :salute!:

xX-Bronco-Xx
04-03-2010, 09:58 PM
Ok I actually got one. If you were considered a left legged striker you'd most definitely be on the right side of the field right? Or does that even matter? I'd assume you'd be better off on the right side so you could use your left leg as an advantage but then wouldn't that mess up your crossing because you'd be using your right leg for that?(that's assuming if strikers even cross)

100%Broncoholic
04-04-2010, 06:31 AM
Ok I actually got one. If you were considered a left legged striker you'd most definitely be on the right side of the field right? Or does that even matter? I'd assume you'd be better off on the right side so you could use your left leg as an advantage but then wouldn't that mess up your crossing because you'd be using your right leg for that?(that's assuming if strikers even cross)

Andy love this conversation!

Guys I love soccer. My opinion is the striker would play on the left or right especially w the runs that the strikers would make off each other to confuse the backs and create scoring opportunities.

As a keeper I hate strikers and all they stand for!!

Tough yesterday watching Man U lose 2 1. I believe w Rooney up top the outcome is different.

Tripp26x
04-04-2010, 08:19 AM

Guys I love soccer. My opinion is the striker would play on the left or right especially w the runs that the strikers would make off each other to confuse the backs and create scoring opportunities.

Tough yesterday watching Man U lose 2 1. I believe w Rooney up top the outcome is different.

Atleast your team is in 2nd place. I'm a fan of Westham United and they're about to get relegated haha. Been a life long fan since my dad grew up in the east end of London! :D

100%Broncoholic
04-04-2010, 08:42 AM
Atleast your team is in 2nd place. I'm a fan of Westham United and they're about to get relegated haha. Been a life long fan since my dad grew up in the east end of London! :D

It sucks I wish I could have a relation like that. I became a Man U team because of Schmeichel and Man U was always on TV in the US w Champions League, them and Ajax.

I'm going to support Philly Union though for MLS though w all my buddies from college.

I play on a bar league w a few guys from the UK and they are Tottenham, Villa, Man U and Man City so that is always fun. We go to an English owned Pub in Richmond called Penny Lane.

We are all talking smackon June 12 and going to watch the match together.

Andyy_47
04-04-2010, 01:16 PM

That would be completely subjective on the tactics a team employ dude. There's no "wrong" tactics in soccer, just wrong results. Objectively a right footed player will play on the right hand side of the field.

That's just a common tactic employed, teams like Barcelona have Thierry Henry on the left side of Zlatan Ibrahimovic who is the striker, and Henry is right footed. Every player however should be able to use their weak foot to a high standard. This isn't baseball where you have a role as a one sided player. Even cricket players in the UK can change up their stance and go right handed to left handed batting. In soccer it's taken for granted someone has a strong left foot. Check out John Arne Riise (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BffVjugDN6M) if you want to see a strong left foot lol, but he's be expected to be able to use his right in situations too. Be that shooting, crossing or tackling.

milehighireland
04-04-2010, 04:25 PM
Apologies for the lack of posts lately, hectic week and the football has been depressing from my point of view atm lol

They wont go down, Portsmouth are broke and therefore screwed, Burnley are an absolute joke and Hull aren't any good either. Its between you and hull and hull are pretty rubbish in all fairness.

Any money we still win the league. True, we might have got something if Rooney played but if drogba has a LUDICROUSLY offside goal ruled out we draw 1-1

Side note: young Kiko Macheda is going to be something special... Rising Star!

milehighireland
04-04-2010, 04:41 PM
A general team will set up like so:

Goalkeeper (GK) - Self Explanatory, protect the goals with your hands. I can't even give you a best in the world, goalkeepers mostly blow very hot and cold.

Iker Casillas for Real Madrid and Edwin Van Der Sar for Man United are both consistently excellent keepers, it's very rarely either has a bad game. Honourable mention also goes to Liverpool's Pepe Reina

Centre Backs - They're job is to play backs to the wall football, man mark the strikers, generally, and tackle the opposition to gain possession. Another form of this role is the Sweeper (SWP), who is literally as far back as you can go who is there to "sweep" up afterwards and get the ball out of dangers way. Too much debate as to who is the best in the world here. I'd put Terry head and shoulders above everyone, in his prime, going through a bad patch now though.

Nemanja Vidic is the classic example here, best centre half in the world by some way when he's on form. Terry is overrated imo and a nasty bloke to boot.

Full backs (LB/RB) - Protect the flanks from crosses coming in. In recent memory the position has evolved with Wing Backs (WBR/WBL), who also provide attacking options, a good example of this in the modern era is probably Dani Alves (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UjzeErAeSI) of Barcelona, the best in the business at the attack side of the defenders game.

Patrice Evra, Maicon (Inter) and Ashley Cole are three other fine examples

Midfielders:

There are two roles of a midfielder, the defensive midfielder (DM), who is an anchorman between the defense and midfield and try to disrupt attacks and protect their backline, and this is usually against the opposite number in midfield known as the attacking midfielder (AMC). The attacking midfielder tries to link the ball to his strikers and start attacks. Both would fall under in fifa under the term (CM)

Three of the best in these positions are the pairing of Xavi and Iniesta (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRU8d1q497M) and Fabregas (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KTaSnB3aV4) as far as linking the balls to attack go. Other honorable mentions to go Lampard (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtsLsuSqnZE) and Kaka (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wvX_n4SGqQ&feature=related)

Wingers (LM/RM) try to expose the flank and cross the ball into their strikers to score as simply as possible with an easy chance coming from a good cross, usually.

Best out and out Winger in the world right now would probably be Franck Ribery (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-_kOVGhOGk)
Sadly there's no videos of him doing what Wingers do best, but believe you me, this guy is a fantastic winger.

Another classic example of an out and out winger is Antonio Valencia for Man United now, wingers vary a lot now, with many cutting in to try and score themselves such as Cristiano Ronaldo

Forwards:

This is by far the most complicated position because of the way different teams use their strikers, who are more than often the focal point of any team.

There is the Centre Forwards (and incorporated sides of the field, such as LF/CF/RF). These players are more likely the play with the ball at their feet, and are the complete package as far as strikers are concerned, perhaps less polished at finishing but that varies from player to player. The best in the business (debate over this since their roles are debatable) is Lionel Messi (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMN6ihCsIP4&feature=related). The ridiculously gifted Argentian (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJh5-zEsLfM&feature=related) is unanimously the best footballer in the planet right now, I'm sure everyone will agree there, and I would have him pegged as a forward.

Out and out strikers (ST) usually play up front themselves and play on the shoulder of the CBs. They run onto balls and get themselves on the end of crosses from the wings. I'd say the best Striker right now is Wayne Rooney (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJEPGPNHopI), (if milehighireland agrees he's a striker, he plays well with the ball at his feet but his form this season and the goals with his head would in my opinion put him as a ST right now).

Yeah Rooney is an out and out striker, Fernando Torres is another fine example, even though he wastes his vast talent at an average club lol. Examples of a regular forward would be Dimitar Berbatov and Zlatan Ibrahimovic. I rate messi as a striker and Ibra as a centre forward btw, messi scores a much larger number of goals, Ibra's his strike partner.

And that's about it, any other questions feel free to hit me up with a PM or reply here dude.

xX-Bronco-Xx - my thoughts in bold, same as Andy, any questions for me, hit me up with a PM or reply here lol.

Andyy_47
04-05-2010, 06:58 AM
xX-Bronco-Xx - my thoughts in bold, same as Andy, any questions for me, hit me up with a PM or reply here lol.

Ibra might not score as much goals as Messi but that's purely down to talent. Messi has scored more goals with less chances than Ibrahimovic, he's the big man up top first and foremost. Barcelona play a suffocating 4-3-3 where Messi and Iniesta/Pedro not tracking back and would absolutely have Messi down as a forward who's job is to run with the ball rather than play off the shoulder of a defender.

milehighireland
04-05-2010, 12:22 PM
Ibra might not score as much goals as Messi but that's purely down to talent. Messi has scored more goals with less chances than Ibrahimovic, he's the big man up top first and foremost. Barcelona play a suffocating 4-3-3 where Messi and Iniesta/Pedro not tracking back and would absolutely have Messi down as a forward who's job is to run with the ball rather than play off the shoulder of a defender.

ibrahimovic isn't really an out and out striker either though, i view him as very similar to our dimitar berbatov, both of their jobs is often to take down a long ball with a great touch and play another ball in to messi or rooney to finish the job

Andyy_47
04-06-2010, 02:13 AM
ibrahimovic isn't really an out and out striker either though, i view him as very similar to our dimitar berbatov, both of their jobs is often to take down a long ball with a great touch and play another ball in to messi or rooney to finish the job

I've genuinelly never seen Ibrahimovic ever remotely close to the half way line, always chasing balls down to link up with Messi and Iniesta/Henry.

On another note:

TOON TOON, BLACK AND WHITE ARMY!

http://images.mirror.co.uk/upl/m4/may2009/0/7/newcastle-supporters-pic-getty-684044137.jpg

Promoted to the top flight, We shall not be moved!!!

milehighireland
04-06-2010, 04:43 AM
I've genuinelly never seen Ibrahimovic ever remotely close to the half way line, always chasing balls down to link up with Messi and Iniesta/Henry.

On another note:

TOON TOON, BLACK AND WHITE ARMY!

http://images.mirror.co.uk/upl/m4/may2009/0/7/newcastle-supporters-pic-getty-684044137.jpg

Promoted to the top flight, We shall not be moved!!!

It's good to have them back, better them than burnley or hull... shame pompey are all but done now though...

im liking whoever goes up this year along with newcastle and west brom... forest would be great though!

also, has anybody else noticed the chokejob of the century by Leeds down in league 1?

and who do you think wins tonight and tomorrow night?

Andyy_47
04-07-2010, 10:11 AM
Manchester United, Lyon progress tonight

I had Barca and Inter picked last night. Can't wait for another Barca - Man U final without Ronaldo.

Messi is ridiculous.

TimberHut
04-07-2010, 10:39 AM
but if drogba has a LUDICROUSLY offside goal ruled out we draw 1-1

How would that work then?

If that goal was 'LUDICROUSLY' offside then surely Man Utd's was an even more LUDICROUS hand ball? He should have actually been at least booked for that 'goal'.

People went on & on about Henry's hand-ball for France v Ireland but that one by Man Utd on Sat was just as bad.

I'm no Chelsea fan but hearing Man Utd fans go on & on about that offside goal - but not mention their own illegal goal - is pretty funny!

milehighireland
04-07-2010, 04:52 PM
How would that work then?

If that goal was 'LUDICROUSLY' offside then surely Man Utd's was an even more LUDICROUS hand ball? He should have actually been at least booked for that 'goal'.

People went on & on about Henry's hand-ball for France v Ireland but that one by Man Utd on Sat was just as bad.

I'm no Chelsea fan but hearing Man Utd fans go on & on about that offside goal - but not mention their own illegal goal - is pretty funny!

Another ABU? imagine that, there's only millions of ye :coffee: this ABU nonsense has gotten to the stage now where i've been accosted by random scumbags for daring to wear a man united scarf in my own hometown... :brick: Christ, Jealousy is an awful thing..

Macheda at least had half a case, it just bounced off his hand, it wasnt like he was trying to control it with the hand a la henry in november. ball to hand could definitely be argued, as opposed to drogbas goal which should in no way have stood

milehighireland
04-07-2010, 04:56 PM
Manchester United, Lyon progress tonight

I had Barca and Inter picked last night. Can't wait for another Barca - Man U final without Ronaldo.

Messi is ridiculous.

So much for us...talk about being hard done by. German teams are a CURSE. also, michael carrick is not fit to wear the shirt. that is all.

TimberHut
04-08-2010, 11:45 AM
Another ABU? imagine that, there's only millions of ye

That's a bit arrogant of you to assume that I just hate Man Utd? I do hate them - but I hate most other teams bar my own.

Seeing all those clones in those Norwich scarves last night (complete with replica shirt underneath) did increase my desire to see Man Utd get stuffed. I wasn't disappointed - what a great game it was.

Not got too much of a proplem with Fulham. I hope they win tonight. Unlike Lpool who I hate even more than Man Utd - seeing them struggle this year has been bliss :-)

milehighireland
04-09-2010, 04:51 AM
That's a bit arrogant of you to assume that I just hate Man Utd? I do hate them - but I hate most other teams bar my own.

Seeing all those clones in those Norwich scarves last night (complete with replica shirt underneath) did increase my desire to see Man Utd get stuffed. I wasn't disappointed - what a great game it was.

Not got too much of a proplem with Fulham. I hope they win tonight. Unlike Lpool who I hate even more than Man Utd - seeing them struggle this year has been bliss :-)

wasnt assuming you JUST hate utd, just easy to see ya hated us lol. ok.. you hate us and liverpool.... Everton fan?

shame the scumbags had to win last night...

Don't like the way people are always having a go at the Green and Gold protest, i think its a great way of displaying our dissatisfaction in the idiot glazers.

It's been pretty successful so far as well with the media picking up on it and with thousands of peopling joining the supporter's trust to back a separate bid for the club.

Andyy_47
04-10-2010, 08:32 PM
Celtic today. No comment.

Sorta caught the Barcelona game at the pub, was good to see Barca go top :)

milehighireland
04-11-2010, 04:18 AM
Celtic today. No comment.

Sorta caught the Barcelona game at the pub, was good to see Barca go top :)

I'm fond of Celtic but, my God, i burst out laughing when i was watching that, the actual state of them right now is unbelievable.

Watched that actually, messi and the boys won me a few bob down at the bookies! :D

Andyy_47
04-17-2010, 06:50 AM
Well, that was certainly a good finish to the game for you milehighireland!

milehighireland
04-17-2010, 02:24 PM
Well, that was certainly a good finish to the game for you milehighireland!

Tell me about it!! :D

For a couple of seconds i actually thought he hadnt scored because of the colour of the nets... when i twigged it though I did go a wee bit mad lol

We were due a bit of luck though tbh, so im glad we got it in todays game, Scholsey you absolute hero! :D:salute:

Afterwards I vowed I wouldnt keep track of the chelski game and would just check the result later, that it might be better luck.... well I stuck to my word anyways... I didn't half run around screaming like an idiot when i looked at the result at half 7 this evening!! :D:D

Andyy_47
04-18-2010, 08:09 AM
What a finish to the Arsenal game, the Broncos of the EPL.

2 points to go for Rangers :D

milehighireland
04-20-2010, 03:23 PM
Inter 3 Barcelona 1!

Actually figured Inter would win that one, but i didn't expect them to totally dominate the game and actually deserve to win by more!

Andyy_47
04-21-2010, 02:02 PM
I was out at a pub that weren't showing the game, scandalous!

I still think Barca will win it at home, 3/4-0, they'll turn on the style.

milehighireland
04-21-2010, 03:15 PM
I was out at a pub that weren't showing the game, scandalous!

I still think Barca will win it at home, 3/4-0, they'll turn on the style.

and i think Mourinho will set up Inter the same way he did last night, letting Barca take the possession but cutting off any possible lanes for Xavi to pass into and frustrating them while catching them on the counter with quick diagonal balls to try and beat their offside trap. I could see them getting a goal out there, Arsenal were able to.. If thats the case Barca would need 4 to win and i cannot see a team managed by the Special One shipping 4 goals to anybody.

Watched a lot of the Lyon/Bayern game there tonight.... piss poor i thought tbh, hard to believe one of those teams will be in the final(although Bayern have got there due in part to awful officiating, an incredible amount of luck and arjen robben's long shooting ability)... Also, Ribery is an idiot, and an overrated one at that.

Andyy_47
04-25-2010, 07:22 AM
Another good pickup for Man United yesterday, its difficult to win with Berbatov up front but Nani has stepped it up very well.

Giggs' first two penalties in premier league history, both perfect. Unbelievable professional.

Andyy_47
04-25-2010, 08:37 AM
CHAMPIONEES, CHAMPIONEES!

Bouncy Bouncy Bouncy Bouncy Nanananana!

Out to get drunk tonight :D

53 and counting!

Can you tell I'm thrilled? :D

milehighireland
04-29-2010, 05:02 AM
CHAMPIONEES, CHAMPIONEES!

Bouncy Bouncy Bouncy Bouncy Nanananana!

Out to get drunk tonight :D

53 and counting!

Can you tell I'm thrilled? :D

Congrats lol, although on a side note after seeing what nacho novo was going around in afterwards i felt a strong desire to hit him, he looked so stupid, God love him :P

Been saying all week that Barcelona would win 1-0, I am fantastic :D

Delighted for Mourinho, he actually is such a legend. And for all the talk of Barcelona being the model club in world football, their reaction after full time was utter classlessness. Turning on the sprinklers to try and get celebrating Inter players off the pitch? Seriously?

Andyy_47
04-29-2010, 07:04 AM
Congrats lol, although on a side note after seeing what nacho novo was going around in afterwards i felt a strong desire to hit him, he looked so stupid, God love him :P

Been saying all week that Barcelona would win 1-0, I am fantastic :D

Delighted for Mourinho, he actually is such a legend. And for all the talk of Barcelona being the model club in world football, their reaction after full time was utter classlessness. Turning on the sprinklers to try and get celebrating Inter players off the pitch? Seriously?

They spanish get petulant, Ronaldo fits right in at Real Madrid in that sense.

Nacho is such a legend in Scotland lol, infamous, average footballer, but he loves to score against Celtic.

Barca were unlucky not to progress, but Inter set up camp well, Mourinho is one of my favourite people in football right now. I just dislike how they set up defensively, go through and is touted as a genius, but when other teams do it its called "Anti-football"

milehighireland
04-29-2010, 09:31 AM
They spanish get petulant, Ronaldo fits right in at Real Madrid in that sense.

Nacho is such a legend in Scotland lol, infamous, average footballer, but he loves to score against Celtic.

Barca were unlucky not to progress, but Inter set up camp well, Mourinho is one of my favourite people in football right now. I just dislike how they set up defensively, go through and is touted as a genius, but when other teams do it its called "Anti-football"

I dont think Mourinho is that bad for setting his teams up defensively. he went with 3 up front both legs against chelsea and again last night for example. Difference last night was that Mourinho knew that barcelona would dominate possession again and the pitch would be wet to aid their passing game so he just set up for a "frustrate and counter" gameplan. however, after motta got sent off thanks to busquets play acting, he knew that attacking at all in the Nou Camp with 10 men would be borderline suicide so he set them up solely to defend from there on out.

He was happy to concede possession when all barca did with it for 85 mins was dink useless passes from left to right about 40 yards from goal and then try and attack from the wings when maicon and zanetti are two of the worlds best fullbacks.

Barca are exactly like Arsenal, they play great football, dink the ball all around the place in midfield and weaker teams eventually get caught out and let them score.... any time a tougher team comes along, sets up to defend and counter and ends up winning, all they can do is whinge about it being "Anti Football" as if playing some fancy passing movements gives them a moral high ground. (that said, i quite like barcelona lol)

xX-Bronco-Xx
05-03-2010, 10:27 AM
I have another question. I always hear ole ole ole chants and want to know what that means? I've always heard it but never bothered to find out what it was.

Andyy_47
05-05-2010, 07:39 AM
It's basically "hooray!" in spanish, a cheer used in Spain, found in Flamenco music and popularised in Bullfighting.

xX-Bronco-Xx
05-05-2010, 08:04 AM
It's basically "hooray!" in spanish, a cheer used in Spain, found in Flamenco music and popularised in Bullfighting.

And I thought it was like a chant for the final minutes or something :laugh:

milehighireland
05-05-2010, 08:47 AM
And I thought it was like a chant for the final minutes or something :laugh:

It just caught on around the 1990 world cup, Irish supporters started singing it and it just snowballed from there..

and as for a final minutes thing, if a team has a big lead, they might just knock the ball around while the fans shout "ole" as a sort of "rubbing it in" thing lol

Andyy_47
05-05-2010, 03:08 PM
It just caught on around the 1990 world cup, Irish supporters started singing it and it just snowballed from there..

and as for a final minutes thing, if a team has a big lead, they might just knock the ball around while the fans shout "ole" as a sort of "rubbing it in" thing lol

I'd expect yourself to know where it snowballed from! :)

milehighireland
05-05-2010, 04:39 PM
I'd expect yourself to know where it snowballed from! :)

haha true, even if i wasnt exactly around at the time ive heard all the stories! :D

See Motherwell and Hibs drew 6-6 there! was flicking over and back from the spurs/bitter blues game and each time i did there seemed to be a goal!

Spurs beat City and qualify for europe! DELIGHTED!

Andyy_47
05-06-2010, 04:19 AM
haha true, even if i wasnt exactly around at the time ive heard all the stories! :D

See Motherwell and Hibs drew 6-6 there! was flicking over and back from the spurs/bitter blues game and each time i did there seemed to be a goal!

Spurs beat City and qualify for europe! DELIGHTED!

I don't mind Harry Redknapp but I really can't stand players like Gomes, Assou Ekotto and such, they're as bad as Aston Villa. Cry about how much money City spend when they've been just as guilty for years.

milehighireland
05-06-2010, 06:03 AM
I don't mind Harry Redknapp but I really can't stand players like Gomes, Assou Ekotto and such, they're as bad as Aston Villa. Cry about how much money City spend when they've been just as guilty for years.

Ahh i like spurs and have a lot of time for 'Arry but i would agree, its also a bit rich for them to be whinging about money irregularities at city when 'Arry has been guilty of dodging tax himself lol..

Still though, im pleased for them, much rather them in europe than city or the dirty scouse!

Andyy_47
05-09-2010, 05:45 AM
Ahh i like spurs and have a lot of time for 'Arry but i would agree, its also a bit rich for them to be whinging about money irregularities at city when 'Arry has been guilty of dodging tax himself lol..

Still though, im pleased for them, much rather them in europe than city or the dirty scouse!

Definetley, I'd much prefer them in there than Liverpool or Villa.

So it's the title deciding day, resigned to defeat yet?

milehighireland
05-09-2010, 11:44 AM
Definetley, I'd much prefer them in there than Liverpool or Villa.

So it's the title deciding day, resigned to defeat yet?

I had some hope... but no.

Today was one of the biggest kick-in-the-balls games ive ever witnessed. we win 4-0 so chelsea double our score and drogba gets a hat trick and the golden boot. Stoke fans in the away section cheering each time news got through that chelsea scored as well as singing every song they could think of to try and piss us off.

Then just to round it off, the idiots at sky cut to a split screen after full time, so utd fans got to see and hear chelsea celebrating when Sir Alex was giving his end of season speech. Then, just to round it off, they told anybody watching to switch to sky sports 1 if they wanted to watch the chelsea trophy presentation, seeing as anybody who was watching Man United would like nothing better than watching a hated rival celebrate.

Sick as a parrot.

Andyy_47
05-09-2010, 04:50 PM
It happens both sides, over the top coverage of one team, now you know how I felt when Celtic got Robbie Keane on loan. Despite being 8 points clear, you'd think Celtic had wrapped up the league.

All in all a good season of football, just the World Cup to go, woo!

D_Broncs_913
05-09-2010, 04:56 PM
Im not a huge soccer fan, but the World Cup is awesome. Let's go Mexico! Group A doesn't look to difficult, except for France.

P.S. Giovanni Dos Santos ftw

milehighireland
05-09-2010, 05:38 PM
Im not a huge soccer fan, but the World Cup is awesome. Let's go Mexico! Group A doesn't look to difficult, except for France.

P.S. Giovanni Dos Santos ftw

France are seriously overrated. Wouldnt even be in the World Cup only for some quality cheating against Ireland...:mad:

Andyy_47
05-17-2010, 06:41 AM
France are seriously overrated. Wouldnt even be in the World Cup only for some quality cheating against Ireland...:mad:

Yeah France are sort of terrible now, I'll never forgive Malouda, against Romania, one on one with the keeper, and jumped out of a challenge and a chance to score in order to not get hurt. An absolute disgrace. Burst my coupon too :(

milehighireland
05-18-2010, 10:10 AM
In other news, my local team, Athlone Town, are rumoured to be playing REAL MADRID in the summertime... would be brilliant if that happened, real would win about 43-0 but it would be some occasion!

milehighireland
05-19-2010, 03:58 AM
Barcelona have completed the signing of David Villa for £34.2 .

Because, y' know, their team wasnt strong enough to begin with.

Andyy_47
05-19-2010, 05:43 AM
Barcelona have completed the signing of David Villa for £34.2 .

Because, y' know, their team wasnt strong enough to begin with.

Yeah, they sorta sucked it up last year.

I hope you meant 34.2 million...!

Andyy_47
05-19-2010, 05:53 AM
And apparently Fabregas on the way, potentially Torres (doubt that one) and Ribery looking to come to spain? So they like up (without Torres)

-----------Valdes------------
Alves--Puyol---Pique---Maxwell
-----------Xavi--------------
-----Iniesta-----Fabregas-----
Messi-------Villa--------Ribery

Unbelievable. And Bojan and Pedro pushing into the team. That is a scary scary team.

milehighireland
05-19-2010, 06:34 AM
Yeah, they sorta sucked it up last year.

I hope you meant 34.2 million...!

Nope, £34.20. I offered €30 but the exchange rate was a bit of a killer. offered to throw in a bottle of coke but valencia had accepted Barcelona's offer by then. Shame...:P

And apparently Fabregas on the way, potentially Torres (doubt that one) and Ribery looking to come to spain? So they like up (without Torres)

Messi-------Villa--------Ribery

Unbelievable. And Bojan and Pedro pushing into the team. That is a scary scary team.

Fabregas will probably go.

Dunno about Torres, i have the feeling he'll stay. Don't know what attraction he feels to that shower of utter crap hes playing for but fair enough.

Ribery will go... to Real Madrid. Barca don't need him and hes overrated anyways. Hes a big name though so i could see Real blowing stupid amounts of money on him for the "galactico project".

Barcelona Team will look like this next year i feel:

Messi-------Villa--------Pedro/Ibrahimovic

Keita, bojan, busquets, possibly toure if he doesnt go (imo he will though),whichever one of pedro/ibra who's not starting and abidal providing great depth on the bench. Scary stuff indeed.

jcdavey
05-19-2010, 09:11 AM
world cup soon!

viva la france!

Andyy_47
05-19-2010, 06:34 PM
Nope, £34.20. I offered €30 but the exchange rate was a bit of a killer. offered to throw in a bottle of coke but valencia had accepted Barcelona's offer by then. Shame...:P

Fabregas will probably go.

Dunno about Torres, i have the feeling he'll stay. Don't know what attraction he feels to that shower of utter crap hes playing for but fair enough.

Ribery will go... to Real Madrid. Barca don't need him and hes overrated anyways. Hes a big name though so i could see Real blowing stupid amounts of money on him for the "galactico project".

Barcelona Team will look like this next year i feel:

Messi-------Villa--------Pedro/Ibrahimovic

Keita, bojan, busquets, possibly toure if he doesnt go (imo he will though),whichever one of pedro/ibra who's not starting and abidal providing great depth on the bench. Scary stuff indeed.

Ribery is overrated, but so was Ibrahimovic in my opinion, he is just a prototypical striker, but his attitude stinks. I reckon he'll be sent packing this season if Barce pick up another striker. The Bojan experiment has been succesful, with a mentor as motivated as David Villa, he could be incredible.

milehighireland
05-22-2010, 04:16 PM
Good day's worth of football today, has to be said...

Andyy_47
05-23-2010, 09:16 AM
Champions league final was awful. Absolute guff game. First 45 minutes of the playoff final were breathtaking.

milehighireland
05-23-2010, 10:51 AM
Champions league final was awful. Absolute guff game. First 45 minutes of the playoff final were breathtaking.

Playoff final was a great game, first half was amazing tbh.... yeah the game itself was dull but the spectacle of it was good, as it always is... was happy to see Inter and Mourinho winning it in the end

milehighireland
06-02-2010, 04:52 PM
Rafa Benitez likely getting the sack it seems... Gutted, was hoping he could get another year and drag the murderers further down... He really is a terrible manager tbh, although one with an unnatural amount of good luck.

Andyy_47
06-04-2010, 10:33 AM
Ferdinand out the world cup. I think Dawson shoulda been in the squad in the first place, he deserves it.

milehighireland
06-04-2010, 11:35 AM
Ferdinand out the world cup. I think Dawson shoulda been in the squad in the first place, he deserves it.

Yeah, Dawson is pretty good in fairness.

Typical Rio, knew this would happen as soon as he got the armband. Gerrard captain now... ugh... Give Rooney the armband and be done with it, he's young but it's fast becoming his team

Andyy_47
06-04-2010, 12:28 PM
Yeah, Dawson is pretty good in fairness.

Typical Rio, knew this would happen as soon as he got the armband. Gerrard captain now... ugh... Give Rooney the armband and be done with it, he's young but it's fast becoming his team

Drogba out too :D Best day ever :')

milehighireland
06-04-2010, 05:35 PM
Drogba out too :D Best day ever :')

I actually like Drogba, he may be a Diva but hes a damn good player and person to boot. I mean, the lad donated millions of his own money towards building a hospital in his home country and was involved in an AIDS awareness campaign with Bono, hes a good lad when all things are considered..

Hear about the latest case of Liverpool supporters covering themselves in glory? A group of their supporters burned U.S. flags because of their dissatisfaction with their American owners sacking Rafa Benitez.

Scumbags.

Andyy_47
06-05-2010, 10:12 AM
Couldn't care less how much money he spends on charity, why should we be impressed with celebrities doing so when they have money to burn? It's the least he should be doing for being an abomination of a professional. From calling referees a disgrace, to admitting to diving, to taking some form of fit when Lampard wouldn't let him take a penalty, Drogba is my least favourite player not wearing green and white hoops ;) :p

Nothing those Scousers do shocks me anymore. They're awful fans.

EvertonBroncos
06-15-2010, 05:45 AM
Massive Everton fan here, got a season ticket at Goodison Park and would actually say that I love Everton more than life itself. It is difficult living in Liverpool with the other shower of **** across stanley park winning things more recently than us, but that's all about to change, they're on a downward spiral and Everton are on the up :logo: :smug:

milehighireland
06-15-2010, 05:21 PM
Massive Everton fan here, got a season ticket at Goodison Park and would actually say that I love Everton more than life itself. It is difficult living in Liverpool with the other shower of **** across stanley park winning things more recently than us, but that's all about to change, they're on a downward spiral and Everton are on the up :logo: :smug:

Welcome to the thread! any enemy of my enemy is my friend haha

Ahh don't worry about that shower of scumbags... last season has more than made up for any "success" they've had in recent years. I honestly don't know when to stop laughing at them, its like a never ending comedy show at Unfilled. Even now, watching them trying to get a new manager is priceless because no top coach will go near them, while they keep trying to convince themselves that they're "still a big club...honest!"

EvertonBroncos
06-16-2010, 04:30 AM
Welcome to the thread! any enemy of my enemy is my friend haha

Ahh don't worry about that shower of scumbags... last season has more than made up for any "success" they've had in recent years. I honestly don't know when to stop laughing at them, its like a never ending comedy show at Unfilled. Even now, watching them trying to get a new manager is priceless because no top coach will go near them, while they keep trying to convince themselves that they're "still a big club...honest!"

thanks mate haha

I was devastated when Benitez left them, he'd been doing a brilliant job of selling their good players like Alonso and replacing them with crap like Aquilani and stuff, I just hope they don't get anyone with half a brain in, they might end up doing well again :laugh:

milehighireland
06-16-2010, 06:17 AM
thanks mate haha

I was devastated when Benitez left them, he'd been doing a brilliant job of selling their good players like Alonso and replacing them with crap like Aquilani and stuff, I just hope they don't get anyone with half a brain in, they might end up doing well again :laugh:

Ahh i wouldnt worry an awful lot... The Fat Spanish Waiter has left the place in a shambles and they're nearly broke so whoever goes there has their work cut out. Only person i would really worry about ending up there is now managing Real Madrid. Not only that, but the top managers don't want to go there it seems because the job looks to be a poisoned chalice

EvertonBroncos
06-16-2010, 06:45 AM
I know yeah, it doesn't seem like they can afford a half decent manager and even if they could, the manager wouldn't have any money to improve the squad, I just need some popcorn and beer to sit back and enjoy it all :P

English Bronco
07-12-2010, 11:17 PM
What did everyone think of the World Cup?

I actually thought it was pony, the ball was crap, the refeering atrocious and the big match ups were very anti climatic. I expected way more from the Germany-England and Germany-Argentina games.

Fell asleep whilst watching the final, says it all really.

Andyy_47
07-13-2010, 05:42 AM
On the contrary, I loved the England - Germany game, and I thoroughly enjoyed the Argie - Germany game.

Holland's road to the final had the Uruguay and Brazil games which were both good to watch. Slovakia - Italy was probably my favourite game of the tournament, it was excellent.

USA - Ghana didn't hold the result I wanted but it was tense and a very good game to watch. I throughly enjoyed this world cup.

milehighireland
07-13-2010, 06:01 AM
On the contrary, I loved the England - Germany game, and I thoroughly enjoyed the Argie - Germany game.

Holland's road to the final had the Uruguay and Brazil games which were both good to watch. Slovakia - Italy was probably my favourite game of the tournament, it was excellent.

USA - Ghana didn't hold the result I wanted but it was tense and a very good game to watch. I throughly enjoyed this world cup.

I think everybody not living in England loved the England-Germany game!

World cup was mixed tbh, it was better than 06 (not very hard now in fairness) but i dunno after that. More or less around the same level as 02.

Groups were generally poor, 4 of the last 16 matches were very good, all the quarters were excellent, the holland semi was good and the 3rd place match was good. That's what i made of it anyways

On an unrelated note btw, just thought id ask you, what in the world are Rangers doing? Boyd and Thomson gone for peanuts and something like half the starting 11 transfer listed? are ye really THAT broke?

English Bronco
07-13-2010, 10:42 AM
On an unrelated note btw, just thought id ask you, what in the world are Rangers doing? Boyd and Thomson gone for peanuts and something like half the starting 11 transfer listed? are ye really THAT broke?

They are more than broke, the club is run by Lloyds bank, they are 30 million in debt and a tax bill of over 40 million.

Murray has really run that club into the ground.

Their only hope was to gain entrance into the Premier League but that was vetoed due to the way their fans behaved in Manchester.

Andyy_47
07-13-2010, 08:15 PM
I think everybody not living in England loved the England-Germany game!

World cup was mixed tbh, it was better than 06 (not very hard now in fairness) but i dunno after that. More or less around the same level as 02.

Groups were generally poor, 4 of the last 16 matches were very good, all the quarters were excellent, the holland semi was good and the 3rd place match was good. That's what i made of it anyways

Yeah the situation in Scottish football in general is pretty grim. A player Strachan said 4 years ago he would sell for no more than £8 million just went to Boro for 1.5m. It's dreadful.

To blame Murray is abit much, I mean he loaded the team with so much talent in the early 90s and alot of success was gained from that but I can blame his lack of foresight. There's no incentive to invest in the Scottish game anymore. It's sincerely dying, you get a measly million and a bit for winning the league and now the CL places are being made less viable.

English Bronco
07-14-2010, 06:44 PM
Yeah the situation in Scottish football in general is pretty grim. A player Strachan said 4 years ago he would sell for no more than £8 million just went to Boro for 1.5m. It's dreadful.

To blame Murray is abit much, I mean he loaded the team with so much talent in the early 90s and alot of success was gained from that but I can blame his lack of foresight. There's no incentive to invest in the Scottish game anymore. It's sincerely dying, you get a measly million and a bit for winning the league and now the CL places are being made less viable.

IMO the Old Firm have the most to be blamed for the demise of the Scottish game, between the sectarianism and the way they monopolise the trophies and all the best players north of the border.

The EPL is hardly perfect but at least you have a tad more variety, The last time a team outside the Old Firm won the SPL was I think early to mid 80s (possibly Aberdeen under Sir Alex). Since then Leeds, Everton, Arsenal, Liverpool, Blackburn, Chelsea and Man Utd have won the title.

An NFL style salary cap would probably save the game up there, but neither Rangers or Celtic will ever agree to that and the SFA will do whatever the OF tell them.

Andyy_47
07-14-2010, 09:24 PM
IMO the Old Firm have the most to be blamed for the demise of the Scottish game, between the sectarianism and the way they monopolise the trophies and all the best players north of the border.

The EPL is hardly perfect but at least you have a tad more variety, The last time a team outside the Old Firm won the SPL was I think early to mid 80s (possibly Aberdeen under Sir Alex). Since then Leeds, Everton, Arsenal, Liverpool, Blackburn, Chelsea and Man Utd have won the title.

An NFL style salary cap would probably save the game up there, but neither Rangers or Celtic will ever agree to that and the SFA will do whatever the OF tell them.

1985 was the last time a team outside the Old Firm won the league, and it was Aberdeen.

Sectarianism has very little to do with the decline of the Scottish game, it's a cancer rotting away the city of Glasgow but outside the city other teams are more pre-occupied with their own form of sectarianism: Hearts and Hibernian for example are guilty of the same crimes Rangers and Celtic fans are but is that ever as widely publicised? The fans up here can be an absolute disgrace, between the Manchester Riots and the Booing of the minutes silence on Remembrance Day, it's appalling. But it's almost a completely seperate issue.

We're in a recession, and football in this nation has been hit hard. Setanta never cashed out with their TV rights and had their rights taken away, hitting the Old Firm arguably harder than anyone since their games were the most televised, and with subscription to the service you gained access to Rangers and Celtic TV respectively which itself generated revenue for the clubs.

Teams like Livingston (who almost ceased to exist) and Gretna, who are literally out football completely, despite being an SPL side, felt the sting of the financial crisis, Hearts themselves in 2007 had debts rising in one year from £7m to £28m. It's obscene and has very little to do with players and their wages. For a bench mark, Rangers have not signed a player on a permanent basis since 2008. The Scottish league itself needs investment, it's nothing to do with Celtic or Rangers hogging all the cups so no-one gets their fair share. It's about stupid investment and the fact that Scottish football is not desirable whatsoever to the Messi's and Ronaldo's of the world. Rangers made strides for Scotland in the 90s by signing high quality footballers like Brian Laudrup, Gattuso and Van Bronckhorst, but got nowhere in Europe, where the really money vein lies.

I'd say European leagues are as much at fault as outsiders would like to blame to old firm. We can't compete anymore with European wages, even English wages, £90 million for Blackpool to get promoted? (with TV rights and the like). I think we're not entirely to blame for death of Scottish football.

And Rangers and Celtic taking the best Scottish players? Well, yeah, they need to to compete, foreigners in a side are a novelty it seems now. Rangers had last year McGregor, Whittaker, Boyd, Miller, Thomson, Weir, McCulloch all getting regular first team football and still got nowhere in europe. Wigan last year took McCarthy from the Old Firm before they could get a whiff, Boyd is off to Middlesborough, as is Thomson, McManus. James McFadden anyone? He was the next Scottish superstar as far as we were concerned, and where has he played for 7 years? Down south, we can't even keep a hold of our own good national players in our own country lol :P

English Bronco
07-15-2010, 12:37 AM
Fair do's Andy, but I've got to pick you up on something, you said Hibs have a problem with sectariansim, thats the first I've heard of it.

In England Hibs are better known for having the best set of casuals north of the border with no ties to Protestants or Catholics. I thought Hibs were known to be an anti sectarian club?

Andyy_47
07-15-2010, 05:35 AM
Fair do's Andy, but I've got to pick you up on something, you said Hibs have a problem with sectariansim, thats the first I've heard of it.

In England Hibs are better known for having the best set of casuals north of the border with no ties to Protestants or Catholics. I thought Hibs were known to be an anti sectarian club?

The farthest secterianism goes these does is the songe the fans sing. The songs both Rangers and Celtic fans get criticsed for are sang at Edinburgh derbies by both teams.

100%Broncoholic
07-18-2010, 01:02 PM
Hey guys. Glad some of you love talking footie..

I'm excited that this week I will be heading to see Man United vs Philly Union.

The MLS teams have to enjoy the opportunity to see these top notch clubs over here in the US and just observing training sessions have to be an amazing time for any US Coach or club Coach to take part in.

Seattle Sounders vs Celtic FC is on right now and I'm sure Celtic is trying to get rid of the nightmare match they had vs Man U.

My favorite match of the tournament were any matches involving the Germans, but specifically the Germany vs Uruguay match. They were built like Terminators out there and Klose was just fantastic. For a team that didn't have much expectations I think they set the bar high for Brazil.

Andyy_47
07-19-2010, 08:12 PM
Turniermannschaft

It speaks volumes for the Germans to come into the tournament with a seemingly depleted side (captain on the physio's table, Klose hardly playing for Bayern and Podolski misfiring on home soil), finish third and choose not to have a parade in Berlin because they failed to win. They have to be the favourites for Euro 2012 in my eyes, two years removed from a sensational world cup where they whalloped Argentina and England, two of their bitterest rivals, the young team will believe they can achieve anything.

milehighireland
07-20-2010, 05:11 PM
1985 was the last time a team outside the Old Firm won the league, and it was Aberdeen. Nice one, Fergie :D

Sectarianism has very little to do with the decline of the Scottish game, it's a cancer rotting away the city of Glasgow but outside the city other teams are more pre-occupied with their own form of sectarianism: Hearts and Hibernian for example are guilty of the same crimes Rangers and Celtic fans are but is that ever as widely publicised? The fans up here can be an absolute disgrace, between the Manchester Riots and the Booing of the minutes silence on Remembrance Day, it's appalling. But it's almost a completely seperate issue.

You definitely have a point there, sectarianism has filtered through to other teams as well it seems, for example, a lad who used to be in my class played a game for an ireland youth side against scotland in tynecastle a couple of years ago when one of the local hertz lads called him a fenian b****** while he was taking a throw in.

Difference is that Celtic and especially Rangers have given themselves bad reputations around europe with events such as the Manchester riots, the Memorial Day booings, and the singing of the "famine song"... all this stuff gets picked up by media throughout europe (and in fact, the famine song got a lot of attention over here, it was raised as an issue in our parliament some time back), meaning that when something eventually kicks off involving one or the other, people just shrug and say that it's typical of the old firm.

We're in a recession, and football in this nation has been hit hard. Setanta never cashed out with their TV rights and had their rights taken away, hitting the Old Firm arguably harder than anyone since their games were the most televised, and with subscription to the service you gained access to Rangers and Celtic TV respectively which itself generated revenue for the clubs.

Fair point, people criticise the SPL for a lack of quality and a huge difference between the OF and the also rans. These same people would also likely rate the spanish La Liga very highly despite the fact that it has the same fundamental problem in that it is absolutely dominated by two teams, Barcelona and Real. Difference is, it's more sunny and glamourous there and there's much more money invested into it.

Teams like Livingston (who almost ceased to exist) and Gretna, who are literally out football completely, despite being an SPL side, felt the sting of the financial crisis, Hearts themselves in 2007 had debts rising in one year from £7m to £28m. It's obscene and has very little to do with players and their wages. For a bench mark, Rangers have not signed a player on a permanent basis since 2008. The Scottish league itself needs investment, it's nothing to do with Celtic or Rangers hogging all the cups so no-one gets their fair share. It's about stupid investment and the fact that Scottish football is not desirable whatsoever to the Messi's and Ronaldo's of the world. Rangers made strides for Scotland in the 90s by signing high quality footballers like Brian Laudrup, Gattuso and Van Bronckhorst, but got nowhere in Europe, where the really money vein lies.

I'd say European leagues are as much at fault as outsiders would like to blame to old firm. We can't compete anymore with European wages, even English wages, £90 million for Blackpool to get promoted? (with TV rights and the like). I think we're not entirely to blame for death of Scottish football.

Fair point, Rangers and Celtic can only seem to be able to afford to pay the same wages as mid-lower table premiership teams due to the lack of investment. Therefore nobody wants to go there, and nobody wants to invest as a result. Vicious circle.

And Rangers and Celtic taking the best Scottish players? Well, yeah, they need to to compete, foreigners in a side are a novelty it seems now. Rangers had last year McGregor, Whittaker, Boyd, Miller, Thomson, Weir, McCulloch all getting regular first team football and still got nowhere in europe. Wigan last year took McCarthy from the Old Firm before they could get a whiff, Boyd is off to Middlesborough, as is Thomson, McManus. James McFadden anyone? He was the next Scottish superstar as far as we were concerned, and where has he played for 7 years? Down south, we can't even keep a hold of our own good national players in our own country lol :P

True, Fletcher has stayed down south with us for his whole career to date and Wilson's heading off to Liverpool now isn't he?

My thoughts in bold. IMO SPL is pretty poor atm, it was a lot better back a few years ago in the days of Martin O' Neill and Alex McLeish... there was a lot more quality in those Celtic and Rangers teams if you ask me..

milehighireland
07-20-2010, 05:31 PM
Hey guys. Glad some of you love talking footie..

I'm excited that this week I will be heading to see Man United vs Philly Union.

The MLS teams have to enjoy the opportunity to see these top notch clubs over here in the US and just observing training sessions have to be an amazing time for any US Coach or club Coach to take part in.

Seattle Sounders vs Celtic FC is on right now and I'm sure Celtic is trying to get rid of the nightmare match they had vs Man U.

My favorite match of the tournament were any matches involving the Germans, but specifically the Germany vs Uruguay match. They were built like Terminators out there and Klose was just fantastic. For a team that didn't have much expectations I think they set the bar high for Brazil.

First time to see United? enjoy!

Celtic won 2-1 didnt they? we beat them comfortably in the end but United are a much better team than them to be fair and they gave us a game up to the last few minutes. Berbatov was fantastic for us.

Germany always succeed in football, they just have it down to a fine art. whether or not they actually have a quality team or not is nearly irrelevant. The amazing thing about that German team is that they're all really young, meaning that they'll essentially have the same squad in 2014, with the possible exception of Klose

English Bronco
07-29-2010, 06:21 PM
Well Andy, I have family that have season tickets at Easter Road and having checked with them Hibs do not have a sectarian following so I dont know where you got that from.

Celtic and Rangers do along with Hearts but not the Cabbage.

Andyy_47
07-30-2010, 08:11 AM
Well Andy, I have family that have season tickets at Easter Road and having checked with them Hibs do not have a sectarian following so I dont know where you got that from.

Celtic and Rangers do along with Hearts but not the Cabbage.

Why would they confess that their fans sing sectarian songs? Abit of imaginary ear-muffs. I've heard "Ooh Ah Up the Ra" coming from their support at Ibrox when they play Rangers.

Every team is guilty of it, we're all absolute wind up merchants to the other, but some people just take it too seriously. The infamous "Famine Song" much have been sang to Celtic in nearly every SPL stadium because they formally complained about it. They also complained about the Hokey Cokey apparently being about the practices of the Catholic Church, another bare-faced lie.

Andyy_47
08-13-2010, 05:31 PM
The season is upon us.

I think Manchester United will win the league, but that is only if Rooney stays fit,

Barcelona take La Liga, along with the Champions League, Mourinho survives one more season.

Roma win their first Serie A in god knows how long, Rangers win the SPL because I'm a complete and utter homer.

milehighireland
08-27-2010, 05:14 AM
The season is upon us.

I think Manchester United will win the league, but that is only if Rooney stays fit,

Barcelona take La Liga, along with the Champions League, Mourinho survives one more season.

Roma win their first Serie A in god knows how long, Rangers win the SPL because I'm a complete and utter homer.

Barca win la liga, but Madrid push them close and win the copa del rey. Mourinho barely survives as boss.

Inter win Serie A.... again. as much as id like to see Roma win their first in a decade, i think benitez's ultra defensive approach, (combined with the fact that moratti wont let him do horrible deals in the transfer market) will work a treat in Italy, especially with a team that's very strong defensively to begin with.

Celtic to win the SPL because they have very little else to concentrate on now. Lennon is a good manager as far as the scottish game is concerned and Smith's impending departure might hold Rangers back, as a team is often held back when their manager is set to leave at the end of the season. (for examples of this see o' neill's Celtic in 2005, United in '02 when fergie changed his mind and Fiorentina last year when their manager was set to leave to take the italy job)

Utd to win premiership because i'm a complete and utter homer

Champions league too :D

Also.... Speaking of which... Old Trafford in a couple of weeks....Utd v Rangers :D

Jaws
08-30-2010, 01:44 AM
Early days but relieved to see the Reds out of the relegation zone.
1-0 over West Brom, although not spectacular, I'll definitely take that over a 3-0 beating by Man City. Oh and Man City lost too to Sunderland, mwahaha.

Aston Villa's win over Everton (my son and bro's teams) is helping my son get over a 6-0 beating by Newcastle last weekend as well.

Elsewhere, in the Championship, Cardiff with their new loan Craig Bellamy doing well. Go Bluebirds!

Andyy_47
09-14-2010, 01:43 PM
Good game from United, on the edge of my seat the whole time, backs to the wall football succeeds again!!

milehighireland
09-14-2010, 01:48 PM
Andy, gonna have to give your team credit here, that was a great result for you... we were poor (i'm being kind, the word i can think of rhymes with "bite") but huge credit has to be given to Rangers for a very hard fought point at a ground where the very best in europe have lost... not exactly full of confidence with United at the moment, especially considering who we play next...

side note: get well soon valencia...:sad:

Andyy_47
09-15-2010, 06:56 AM
Andy, gonna have to give your team credit here, that was a great result for you... we were poor (i'm being kind, the word i can think of rhymes with "bite") but huge credit has to be given to Rangers for a very hard fought point at a ground where the very best in europe have lost... not exactly full of confidence with United at the moment, especially considering who we play next...

side note: get well soon valencia...:sad:

Yous will romp Liverpool, they are absolutely atrocious. And yeah, Valencia getting injured was terrible, shows how dangerous the game can be, that was a clean tackle with little contract and he still managed to be injured so severely.

milehighireland
09-15-2010, 02:30 PM
Yous will romp Liverpool, they are absolutely atrocious. And yeah, Valencia getting injured was terrible, shows how dangerous the game can be, that was a clean tackle with little contract and he still managed to be injured so severely.

Its terrible, you just knew straight away that was his season done after that... broadfoot looked very very shaken for the remainder of the match

I bloody hope we murder em but no matter how awful those scumbags are, they get so fired up for games against us... they haven't been relevant in decades so beating us means everything to them ya see...we've been pretty miserable of late ourselves though so i dunno... hope we manage it though, everybody round here seems to be a plastic liverpool fan who hopped the bandwagon after 2005 and its hard to have to listen to them...:rolleyes:

milehighireland
09-19-2010, 07:57 AM
needless to say, im grinning like a cheshire cat now.... didnt make it easy though, some day 1 of these utd/scouse fixtures is gonna give me a heart attack!

Dimitar Berbatov - HERO

Andyy_47
09-19-2010, 10:55 AM
Great win for Manchester United today, Berbatov has been sensational so far this year, hope he can keep it up!

And re: the Valencia injury and Broadfoot afterwards, he said that Rooney came over afterwards on the field and said Kirk played the ball, it was a freak accident and don't worry about it, it wasn't his fault. Really improved my opinion of the lad, not that it was tarnished at all lately.

milehighireland
09-19-2010, 05:17 PM
Great win for Manchester United today, Berbatov has been sensational so far this year, hope he can keep it up!

And re: the Valencia injury and Broadfoot afterwards, he said that Rooney came over afterwards on the field and said Kirk played the ball, it was a freak accident and don't worry about it, it wasn't his fault. Really improved my opinion of the lad, not that it was tarnished at all lately.

absolutely DELIGHTED... there is nothing sweeter than a win over that mob! That, coupled with our convincing win over the seahawks, should have me in a good mood all week! :D

yeah, it was good of rooney to do that...broadfoot was very professional about it too, it was just bad luck on everybodys part really...

while the actions of some elements of the rangers fanbase may be questionable, the club itself, along with most of the players and of course Walter Smith (who i have time for, having served as fergie's no.2) handle nearly everthing with an air of class about them and that's something i have to give yous credit for

Andyy_47
09-19-2010, 06:27 PM
absolutely DELIGHTED... there is nothing sweeter than a win over that mob! That, coupled with our convincing win over the seahawks, should have me in a good mood all week! :D

yeah, it was good of rooney to do that...broadfoot was very professional about it too, it was just bad luck on everybodys part really...

while the actions of some elements of the rangers fanbase may be questionable, the club itself, along with most of the players and of course Walter Smith (who i have time for, having served as fergie's no.2) handle nearly everthing with an air of class about them and that's something i have to give yous credit for

What do you make of that scumbag Stan Collymore then? Said Walter Smith is a disgrace for playing for the draw. I don't know about you, but when your team cost £13 million altogether and Manchester United's cost £106 million, I might just think about maybe batting down the hatches. It happens all over europe every week, any team in the premier league would be thrilled with a draw at Old Trafford. Stan Collymore is a vile individual, full of bitterness and jealousy, I expect nothing more from an ex-Liverpool player :D :P

milehighireland
09-19-2010, 06:38 PM
What do you make of that scumbag Stan Collymore then? Said Walter Smith is a disgrace for playing for the draw. I don't know about you, but when your team cost £13 million altogether and Manchester United's cost £106 million, I might just think about maybe batting down the hatches. It happens all over europe every week, any team in the premier league would be thrilled with a draw at Old Trafford. Stan Collymore is a vile individual, full of bitterness and jealousy, I expect nothing more from an ex-Liverpool player :D :P

Of course you play for the draw! you dont exactly go to the toughest ground in europe to travel to in the past decade with that team and play flowing attacking football! That's pretentious nonsense and lacking of common sense... reminds me of when arsenal went to the nou camp last year trying to beat barcelona at their own fancy passing game and got killed, certain situations call for different game plans obviously enough....

Stan Collymore is a jackass of the highest order to be fair, hes an absolute idiot who is bitter because he was an expensive flop as a player... ive read and heard some right nonsense from him before, how he is considered an "expert" is beyond me...

Andyy_47
09-22-2010, 06:57 PM
TOON TOON

BLACK AND WHITE ARMY!

Great win for the magpies tonight, regardless of the strength of opposition! And lets all laugh at Liverpool!!

Howtobedead
09-23-2010, 02:47 PM
I am a Cambridge United fan, but love and will watch any football.

milehighireland
09-24-2010, 05:25 AM
TOON TOON

BLACK AND WHITE ARMY!

Great win for the magpies tonight, regardless of the strength of opposition! And lets all laugh at Liverpool!!

Id been keeping an eye on the scores that night but i stopped checking after full time once i knew United had won and Chelsea were out as i was getting ready to head out...

Fast forward to half two the following morning and i stumbled in to the nearest chipper only to see "Liverpool knocked out of carling cup on penalties by Northampton Town" scroll across the bottom of the TV set to sky news.... Needless to say I almost died laughing!!:D

Andyy_47
09-24-2010, 06:25 AM
Id been keeping an eye on the scores that night but i stopped checking after full time once i knew United had won and Chelsea were out as i was getting ready to head out...

Fast forward to half two the following morning and i stumbled in to the nearest chipper only to see "Liverpool knocked out of carling cup on penalties by Northampton Town" scroll across the bottom of the TV set to sky news.... Needless to say I almost died laughing!!:D

Aw class :P Only half two? Come on you lightweight!

Did you see the tackle on Messi in the Athletico Madrid game? Absolutely criminal :(

And welcome to the thread Howtobedead!

Howtobedead
09-25-2010, 06:41 PM
Cambridge lost. :(

Andyy_47
09-29-2010, 07:27 PM
Great win for the Gers in europe today. Europa league, here we come!!

Andyy_47
10-17-2010, 05:51 AM
What the hell is happening to Manchester United and Rooney?! Read the front page of the paper today and it says he's offski! Hopefully just paper talk.

Scotland were ridiculously unlucky midweek, but we played well against the worlds best. Very proud of the effort.

milehighireland
10-17-2010, 05:17 PM
What the hell is happening to Manchester United and Rooney?! Read the front page of the paper today and it says he's offski! Hopefully just paper talk.

Scotland were ridiculously unlucky midweek, but we played well against the worlds best. Very proud of the effort.

It's probably bs tbh, but there definitely is trouble in paradise... no smoke without fire and all that... rooney is some tit though, this is ALL his fault. Not impressed with utd one bit this year, we've been disgracefully wasteful... in fact, watching utd this year is offering a similar experience to watching the broncos, at least as far as missed opportunities and terrible execution go...

SPL is seriously good stuff atm, watched the finish to the Celtic game today, great stuff... Old Firm in Parkhead next, cannot wait to see that, both sides are on fire!

Andyy_47
10-18-2010, 02:08 PM
Not looking forward to next week at all, an Old Firm right after a big CL game? Granted it's at home but come on, Scotland needs to make inroads into Europe again and you sabotage a great chance of picking up three points by scheduling it right next to the first Old Firm of the season. Not impressed with the SPL one tiny bit.

milehighireland
10-18-2010, 03:53 PM
Not looking forward to next week at all, an Old Firm right after a big CL game? Granted it's at home but come on, Scotland needs to make inroads into Europe again and you sabotage a great chance of picking up three points by scheduling it right next to the first Old Firm of the season. Not impressed with the SPL one tiny bit.

True but it happens in every other league and aren't ye at home? rescheduling it wouldnt be fair either tbh, it would be against the interests of fairness to change a home derby game due to the whims of one team... also the fixtures are planned before the cl fixtures so this wasnt too foreseeable, and with the amount of security arrangements needed for an OF game, id imagine that makes them hard to reschedule too

Interests of fairness and all that, though id imagine it sucks for ye.. though i would hardly imagine an unbeaten rangers side would be too tired for celtic away, champions league or not. bear in mind how much of a boost it would be going into the 1st old firm with a good result against valencia too

Andyy_47
10-18-2010, 06:00 PM
Nah I just believe that SPL should do what they can to help our teams in Europe. Say Celtic were playing Wednesday and Rangers were on Tuesday, I'd call for a monday night Old Firm at the very least, need to keep the teams doing well in Europe for the good of the whole of the SPL. But our league is in dire straits, I'd rather we won in Europe than in the league this weekend tbh. Rangers historically start rather slowly and pick it up later on.

milehighireland
10-19-2010, 09:23 AM
not meaning to change the subject but.... holy ****, rooney has just done a jay cutler. wow.:sad:

Andyy_47
10-20-2010, 03:32 AM
not meaning to change the subject but.... holy ****, rooney has just done a jay cutler. wow.:sad:

Really disappointed in the guy, hopefully he changes his mind and realises that Manchester United is the best club in the world for an englishman to play for.

milehighireland
10-22-2010, 02:47 PM
Really disappointed in the guy, hopefully he changes his mind and realises that Manchester United is the best club in the world for an englishman to play for.

He did, funnily enough once we offered to significantly increase his wages and after he got a good fright from a mob outside his house last night

Not impressed with him one bit this week tbh, i would have liked to have thought he was above this

One things for sure though, this week was more proof if needed of how much of a genius Sir Alex is, he played a bad hand flawlessly and won, so to speak

Andyy_47
10-23-2010, 02:28 PM
Don't know if quarter of a million a week for a player in poor form is necessarily "winning" but I'll eat my words if Rooney comes back better than ever for sure.

milehighireland
10-23-2010, 02:37 PM
Don't know if quarter of a million a week for a player in poor form is necessarily "winning" but I'll eat my words if Rooney comes back better than ever for sure.

Well at least we've won in the sense that he's not going to humiliate us by forcing a move to and signing for man city. Whether he comes back in good form or not is a different story......

Andyy_47
10-24-2010, 07:56 AM
Good day for us!

Andyy_47
10-27-2010, 07:40 AM
Chicarito is looking great! Wayne who?

Getting sick of this referee criticism in Scotland now, bad decisions were getting made 10 years ago and teams never went to this length. I thought it was 3-1 and Celtic played dreadful in the second half, not 2-1 and Celtic were all over Rangers...Must be watching different games.

Mike1709
10-27-2010, 09:39 AM
I think how well West Brom is doing is having a negative effect on the Broncos season, its as if I can't have it good on both sides at the same time

DC Bronco
11-01-2010, 04:29 PM
United till I die
United till I die
You know I am I'm sure I am United till I die

Sir Alex is My gaffer
Chicarito even if he's Mexican International I love that pea
Rooney will be back
Berbatov is My Fav.love his simple but skilled touch

and the reason this guy from across the pond cheer on United is Beckham dont tell anyone i was young he had a great pass and Cantona The Legend

also MLS DC United -Barra Brava Here

Vhailor
11-05-2010, 06:18 AM
Liverpool's finally making some progress. About time, Hodg!

Vhailor
11-05-2010, 06:19 AM
Chicarito is looking great! Wayne who?

That kid reminds me so much of Ole Gunnar Solskjær. He was fantastic in his few years at Molde, but really took off in Manchester.

Andyy_47
11-05-2010, 06:35 AM
Watching a replay on the San Jose vs New York game right now, in the last 10 minutes. I'm blown away, 3 goals in 5 minutes after a boring match.

Vhailor
11-08-2010, 02:26 PM
Down you go, Chelski! Thank you Fernando!

milehighireland
11-09-2010, 03:30 AM
Not often i'll be as happy to see the scousers win...

Man city away tomorrow, my nerves are already shot haha, we better stop that horrible little goblin that is Tevez...

Andyy_47
11-15-2010, 06:25 AM
At 3pm Saturday I thought Man U had fallen further behind in the title race. Turned out to simply make it a more interesting prospect! Chelsea were garbage and whilst Man U weren't much better they showed real ability fighting back with 15 minutes to go to grab a point.

Vhailor
11-15-2010, 08:23 AM
Hodgson has got to go. Bring in Kenny.

milehighireland
11-15-2010, 05:12 PM
Hodgson has got to go. Bring in Kenny.

Easy there now, he's inherited a right mess thanks to benitez and couldnt rebuild the squad properly due to ownership struggles.... if you give a classless imbecile like benitez (who is currently doing a nice job of ruining a treble winning inter squad) as much time as you did, hodgson deserves the season at least. that's my view anyways, and im a utd fan

milehighireland
11-15-2010, 05:14 PM
At 3pm Saturday I thought Man U had fallen further behind in the title race. Turned out to simply make it a more interesting prospect! Chelsea were garbage and whilst Man U weren't much better they showed real ability fighting back with 15 minutes to go to grab a point.

Chelsea are vastly overrated. Don't see what all the fuss about them is at all... If we're somewhere within 2 games of em come New Year's Day, i fancy our chances imo as we're always better after january

Andyy_47
11-16-2010, 05:35 PM
I think chelseas reluctance to spend money is gonna come back and haunt them this year. Man u just need to stop dropping stupid points. They're not playing like champions, but they usually come good after Xmas.

Cahill
11-21-2010, 06:42 PM
Birmingham with their first victory over Chelsea for the first time in the Premier League era. Definitely a memorable victory for their supporters. Tough loss for Chelsea fans like myself, especially in a match that Chelsea easily should have won and wasted far too many chances.

Now I am hearing tons of rumors about Ancelotti leaving the club but I don't think that is true. Would not be a surprise to me though after what happened to Wilkins this past week and also considering the type of person Roman Abramovich is.

Broncoholic JS
11-21-2010, 09:24 PM
Go RAPIDS GO!!!!

GOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!

Broncoholic JS
11-21-2010, 09:31 PM

Championship!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Blondie79
11-21-2010, 10:02 PM
WTG Rapids!!!!!!!!!!!!

milehighireland
11-21-2010, 10:02 PM
Congrats to the Colorado Rapids for winning their 1st MLS championship! here's to many more!

BroncoFanBoy
11-21-2010, 11:35 PM
i'm not a soccer fan, but well done rapids! :salute:

DiversityA
11-22-2010, 03:01 PM
I don't follow soccer really, but this is still pretty cool. Congrats to the Rapids!! I used to go to some of their games when I was young and occasionally over the past few years, so I'm happy for them and their fans.

Andyy_47
11-22-2010, 09:57 PM
Congrats Rapids :D

Back to this side of the pond. 3 points ahead and round two begins MileHighIreland! I think you guys pound us, we've played terrible lately.

milehighireland
11-24-2010, 05:31 PM
Congrats Rapids :D

Back to this side of the pond. 3 points ahead and round two begins MileHighIreland! I think you guys pound us, we've played terrible lately.

Nah, didnt think as much, good to see rooney back on the mark, even though hes been an idiot and played terribly tonight otherwise, its important to the team

have to say though, i could easily understand playing for 0-0 in Old Trafford in matchday one but tonight when yous were fighting for survival, 3rd spot was guaranteed anyways and it was in Ibrox, would yous not have given it more of a go? It's not like o'shea, jonny evans, smalling and fabio is an outstanding backline to go at tbh..

Andyy_47
11-25-2010, 06:09 PM
Nah, didnt think as much, good to see rooney back on the mark, even though hes been an idiot and played terribly tonight otherwise, its important to the team

have to say though, i could easily understand playing for 0-0 in Old Trafford in matchday one but tonight when yous were fighting for survival, 3rd spot was guaranteed anyways and it was in Ibrox, would yous not have given it more of a go? It's not like o'shea, jonny evans, smalling and fabio is an outstanding backline to go at tbh..

It's not like our team is much better to be fair, Miller is our only player who would even get into a premier league team, the rest are pathetic compared to even reserves in Man United.

Andyy_47
11-28-2010, 06:42 PM
Newcastle bag a good result and Rangers don't need to play to gain an advantage in the SPL race!

Berbatov, says it all for you though MHI.

Andyy_47
11-29-2010, 04:46 PM
http://img14.imageshack.us/img14/6475/barcafv.jpg

Amazing game tonight. The greatest team ever assembled, period.

milehighireland
11-29-2010, 07:46 PM
Newcastle bag a good result and Rangers don't need to play to gain an advantage in the SPL race!

Berbatov, says it all for you though MHI.

Happy days... we've really turned the title race on its head of late but i wont make any bold predictions, least until the arsenal and chelsea games are out of the way...

As regards berbatov... bloody genius. so effortless too, he reminds me of ibrahimovic in the effortless yet lethal style of play he has... as the sunday times so eloquently put it, "like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons from a deckchair"! :D

He was my fantasy captain this weekend too!:D

http://img14.imageshack.us/img14/6475/barcafv.jpg

Amazing game tonight. The greatest team ever assembled, period.

My God, was watching it myself, what a match, such a display of football I have never seen. I know Barcelona have put up some fantastic performances under Guardiola but that one took the biscuit, Real literally did not get near them for the entire match and it could have been much worse. At least every other time they lost to Barcelona they were in it at some stage or other, this, on the other hand, was an obliteration. Against a Mourinho team nonetheless. The ball in from Messi to Villa for 4-0 was the stuff of legends...

There has to be some argument for this Barcelona side as the greatest club side ever put together at this stage, you're right.

Broncoholic JS
12-01-2010, 10:34 PM
Heres to hoping that this happens tomorrow.

2018 World Cup awarded to...ENGLAND!!

2022 World Cup awarded to..THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA!!

DevilSpawn
12-02-2010, 08:48 AM
Russia wins 2018 World Cup bid.
Qatar wins 2022 bid.

Each country gets an automatic invite to the tournament for their host years.

Qatar is a very rich country but small and hot. A very interesting choice.

Russia is a good choice, but I wish Spain and Portugal were chosen. I would've gone to see it live. Oh well.

the0rangecrush
12-02-2010, 09:29 AM
Ya Spain would have been a great venue, but its also cool that different countries like Qatar gets to host.

milehighireland
12-02-2010, 06:26 PM
Qatar wins 2022 bid.

Russia is a good choice, but I wish Spain and Portugal were chosen. I would've gone to see it live. Oh well.

Only reason England didn't get 2018 is because FIFA are crooks, simple as. They just voted against them because England dared to break a story about what everybody knew, that FIFA are red rotten corrupt.

Still though, having said that, Russia is a cool choice, Luzhniki stadium for the final i suppose... i remember the place fondly..

Qatar is a very interesting choice yeah. One hugely important question though; isnt it a Muslim country, with alcohol not allowed there as a result? could see this being a problem tbh

Andyy_47
12-11-2010, 05:12 PM
Hate to do this to ya MileHighIreland but....

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/telegraph/multimedia/archive/01783/carroll_1783662c.jpg
TOON TOON BLACK AND WHITE ARMY!

milehighireland
12-11-2010, 08:17 PM
Hate to do this to ya MileHighIreland but....

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/telegraph/multimedia/archive/01783/carroll_1783662c.jpg
TOON TOON BLACK AND WHITE ARMY!

:D

Only delighted for the dirty scouse!

Gotta love the Barcodes, they lost to us but have beaten Arsenal and Chelsea since and drawn with Chelsea, nicely done lads! And it's hard to beat them handing lolverpool yet another defeat!

can't help but feel a bit bad for chris hughton though, the face on ashley at the end of the match was something else, he thinks he's a genius to have sacked him now...

100%Broncoholic
12-12-2010, 05:56 AM
Qatar wins 2022 bid.

Yeah Russia, way to make headlines right away after securing that bid, shame it didn't happen a week earlier...

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2010/12/11/memorials-for-slain-soccer-fan-turn-violent-in-russia/?hpt=Sbin

Rioting broke out in Russia's two largest cities Saturday as soccer fans protested the death of a man in ethnically charged clashes earlier in the week.

Yegor Sviridov, 28, was killed during a huge brawl in northern Moscow between football fans and migrants from the North Caucasus region. A suspect is in custody, RIA Novosti reported.

Thousands of fans - commonly called "football hooligans" in the Russian media - turned out for a memorial Saturday at Moscow's Red Square. Violence and fires soon erupted again, and hundreds of riot police used shields, truncheons and gas to try to disperse the crowd. Video on the Russia 24 network showed helmeted police clubbing protesters and dragging them away.

Similar clashes broke out in St. Petersburg, RIA Novosti reported. Nationalists and members of the outlawed National Bolshevik Party were reportedly involved, but media said most of those present are "ordinary fans," according to the news agency.

A police spokesperson denied that any serious incidents had occurred in St. Petersburg.

milehighireland
12-13-2010, 06:11 PM
Manchester United 1 Arsenal 0

Delighted with this, nerves are shot to bits now though!

great win though, two points clear with a game in hand, with chelsea playing us and arsenal in the coming weeks, this month will be crucial...

should we win out to january (with draw at stamford bridge or better) we'll be in a great spot come the new year. if we were to get a win at SB we would be 6 points clear of chelsea WITH a game in hand to boot as well as at least 2 points ahead of arsenal with a game in hand. Chelsea and Arsenal would then play each other the following weekend...

100%Broncoholic
12-14-2010, 05:01 AM
Man Tevez 300k a week would be plenty for me!

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/3273079/Carlos-Tevez-has-told-Manchester-City-Let-me-go-or-I-will-quit.html

milehighireland
12-14-2010, 05:18 AM
Man Tevez 300k a week would be plenty for me!

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/3273079/Carlos-Tevez-has-told-Manchester-City-Let-me-go-or-I-will-quit.html

Tevez is an absolute cancer. people say how bad a decision it was for Sir Alex to let him go but it looks like he may have been spot on given how Tevez is acting

Andyy_47
12-14-2010, 08:38 AM
Tevez is an absolute cancer. people say how bad a decision it was for Sir Alex to let him go but it looks like he may have been spot on given how Tevez is acting

I have always hated Tevez, thinks he's better tha he actually is. Good-very good striker, but no more. Always had a fantastic team around him the past few years, but at West Ham he was just a diamond in the turd.

Good win for the Mancs, Arsenal need to get over this mental block, but Chelsea are just free falling.

milehighireland
12-20-2010, 09:04 PM
I have always hated Tevez, thinks he's better tha he actually is. Good-very good striker, but no more. Always had a fantastic team around him the past few years, but at West Ham he was just a diamond in the turd.

Good win for the Mancs, Arsenal need to get over this mental block, but Chelsea are just free falling.

would be great if there were any matches on at all these days...

Chelsea are a joke, calling our match off 30 hours beforehand. wonder if they would have done that if it was us that had players injured or badly out of form and the team was in its worst run of form in decades.... i think not

saw pictures of the area on sunday afternoon, definitely commutable, and the pitch and area around stamford bridge was meant to have been fine

also, delighted everton beat the mercenaries tonight to deprive them of top spot for christmas!

Andyy_47
12-21-2010, 07:57 PM
Top of the league at Christmas for both our teams, result.

milehighireland
12-28-2010, 04:53 PM
F'n refball, utd should have beaten birmingham tonight only lee bowyer (who should have seen red for going in with 2 feet and studs showing on gibson) scored a goal in an offside position while fouling a defender and with a clear handball in the build up. I cannot abide that crap. JOKE

Ah well, top of the table going into the new year barring like a 6 goal arsenal win tomorrow, happy days!

100%Broncoholic
12-28-2010, 05:55 PM
Tough game there today :( it was on here stateside and the Devils play Saturday and it is on here too!! I love being able to watch Man U! I had FSC, but chose Sunday ticket over it.

Andyy_47
01-02-2011, 09:29 AM
Needless to say upset at the Gers performance today, absolutely spineless. The lad Ness done well but besides that the team needs a good boot up the bahookie. Just had to come in the worst possible game. Been getting by with terrible performances all year so now it's time to kick it into overdrive.

milehighireland
01-02-2011, 10:17 PM
Needless to say upset at the Gers performance today, absolutely spineless. The lad Ness done well but besides that the team needs a good boot up the bahookie. Just had to come in the worst possible game. Been getting by with terrible performances all year so now it's time to kick it into overdrive.

On the flipside, Celtic did very well with a weakened side, fair play to them. Lennon got it pretty much spot on and Samaras was unplayable, for a bloody change.

I think one reason why Rangers came out flat today was because of the Ibrox disaster commemoration.... any time a team plays a big game that coincides with the anniversary of a tragedy, they struggle as they feel an expectation to perform and honour those who died. For example, man utd lost 2-1 to city at home on the 50th anniversary of munich and liverpool went out to chelsea in europe 2 years back on the 20th anniversary of hillsborough. It's a big ask to be fair.

Andyy_47
01-02-2011, 10:55 PM
Don't think Celtic were necessarily good. We were just downright awful, and if we played like that against the worst of sides in the SPL we would be getting beat.

That being said, I'm glad Celtic put in performances put those kind of performances in weeks in a row and drop points at home left right and centre.

milehighireland
01-05-2011, 08:19 PM
Don't think Celtic were necessarily good. We were just downright awful, and if we played like that against the worst of sides in the SPL we would be getting beat.

That being said, I'm glad Celtic put in performances put those kind of performances in weeks in a row and drop points at home left right and centre.

Debatable, Celtic definitely put it up to ye and were by some distance the better team with several big players out.

Maybe, but Old Firms are so crucial as momentum goes as well so a lot could change in the coming weeks but hard to say yet...

United made history tuesday night by fielding a starting 11 of 11 different nationalities, something which deserves a bit of credit imo

The historic United starting XI was Tomasz Kuszczak (Poland), Rafael Da Silva (Brazil), Nemanja Vidic (Serbia), Chris Smalling (England), Patrice Evra (France), Nani (Portugal), Darren Fletcher (Scotland), Darron Gibson (Northern Ireland-born, Republic of Ireland international), Ryan Giggs (Wales), Dimitar Berbatov (Bulgaria) and Javier Hernandez (Mexico)

Another win, and all our rivals drop points to boot... this is getting ominously easy. Scousers lose AGAIN as well, which is hilarious! Hodgson expected to get the boot now though, damn..

milehighireland
01-12-2011, 06:57 PM
A nice win over the scummy murderers sunday, even though it was controversial... never heard as much complaining in my life from a fanbase about one decision though, had my head fried by scouser fans for ages after...

dirty scumbags wrecked the place to boot, toilets smashed up in the away end and seats were torn out and thrown on united fans below along with coins, lighters and cups filled with various substances... I remember hearing sunday that 15 arrests were made in the away end and that the club was going to take action on other fans for criminal damages

oh, and as well as that, Utd fans were treated to songs about the Munich air disaster from the away support, with the BBC cameras even inadvertently catching a number of them clearly chanting "Munich" at one stage.

Disgraceful. annoyed the hell out of me tbh, we had to give them a larger seat allocation due to FA cup rules but i strongly hope we consider halving their allocation, for both subsequent league and cup meetings. If they can't be expected to behave we shouldn't let them go in such numbers..

Ok, rant over now lol

Andyy_47
01-20-2011, 08:56 PM
King Kenny comes back to...continue the awfulness of Liverpool. When will people just accept this is an AWFUL Liverpool team. Two players crocked and they are nothing, they wouldn't even compete in the SPL, and that's saying something!

milehighireland
01-21-2011, 05:27 AM
King Kenny comes back to...continue the awfulness of Liverpool. When will people just accept this is an AWFUL Liverpool team. Two players crocked and they are nothing, they wouldn't even compete in the SPL, and that's saying something!

I'm still hearing utter rubbish (for want of a better word) about "three world class players" and "still a lot of quality in the team". No there's not, they're terrible! only 3 good players, one's a goalie, one has regressed badly and is eyeing the exit door lustily and one is well into his 30s and stopped caring after his probable last chance to win the league fell short in 09. as for the other 8 in the team meanwhile, its just awful standard. Konchesky, Lucas, Poulsen, Skyrtel... i could go on

It's all about who they like. Hodgson starts like this and gets crucified. "King Kenny" starts with 1 draw and 2 defeats, failing to beat either of their most hated rivals and he's doing a great job....

milehighireland
01-25-2011, 04:55 PM
What a win for man utd, 2-0 down to win 3-2... unreal

Andy Gray sacked by sky sports for "sexist comments". Thoughts?

TimberHut
01-29-2011, 04:47 PM
What a win for man utd, 2-0 down to win 3-2... unreal

Andy Gray sacked by sky sports for "sexist comments". Thoughts?

Thoughts? Since when has Ireland been in England - let alone Manchester?

milehighireland
01-30-2011, 06:25 AM
Thoughts? Since when has Ireland been in England - let alone Manchester?

I've family from Manchester and was basically raised a Utd fan. Next question.

Who should i support, since you asked?

Not like there's much of a league in this country tbh, though I go to my local team's matches often enough just to support the local team but it doesn't really create a clash of loyalties

Andyy_47
01-30-2011, 06:59 PM
Andy Gray being sacked is a joke, imagine an unattractive female presenter made a comment to a young, italian reporter or whatever, there would be 0 backlash. He's being chastised as an example.

Man U clicking at the right time! Could run away with this league!