PDA

View Full Version : Charlie Whitehurst >>>> Brady Quinn

Boltheads
03-19-2010, 11:42 AM
That's right. San Diego's 3rd string, clipboard toting QB is way better than Denver's potential starting QB.

Well.....at least he is based on the NFL Draft Value Chart the GMs use. Seattle gave up 390 Draft Value points to get Whitehurst, Denver only gave up 28 DVPs to get Quinn.

Either someone really overpaid....or, someone got a really good deal. Probably a little of both.

ERoyal248
03-19-2010, 11:47 AM
Yeah, your right, Whitehurst is better then Quinn. Seattle is stupid, of course they'll overpay for him. Look who's running that team. We gave up jack squat for a QB with Quinn's potential.

sharp_shepherd
03-19-2010, 12:12 PM
Who the heck is Whitehurst? Never heard of him. If he's so good how man starting wins does he have?

Try not to make me puke in my mouth with your response okay?

SLVR and Black
03-19-2010, 12:19 PM
Well.....at least he is based on the NFL Draft Value Chart the GMs use. Seattle gave up 390 Draft Value points to get Whitehurst, Denver only gave up 28 DVPs to get Quinn.Keep in mind who's holding the reigns in Seattle. ;)

I don't have a horse in this race so I don't give a rip, I just think that it's important to remember who the Seahawks new HC, who insisted on total control, is. That can't be left out of the discussion.

Andyy_47
03-19-2010, 12:21 PM
I know the smack talk in the offseason is often a desolate dump, but there's no point in throwing more trash into the pile of trash :(

Boltheads
03-19-2010, 12:51 PM
Keep in mind who's holding the reigns in Seattle. ;)

I don't have a horse in this race so I don't give a rip, I just think that it's important to remember who the Seahawks new HC, who insisted on total control, is. That can't be left out of the discussion.Based on what I read today, it sounds like it was the GMs call, not Pete's. Apparently, Schneider liked him coming out of Clemson.

Boltheads
03-19-2010, 01:36 PM
I know the smack talk in the offseason is often a desolate dump, but there's no point in throwing more trash into the pile of trash :(At first, I was just making fun of the Draft Value Chart because some writer used it to compare Seattle getting Hasselbeck from Green Bay to what they just did with Whitehurst.

But, the more I read the more I think it is legitmate smack. There is no doubt that Whitehurst is being brought in to be the Seahawks starter. Maybe not right out of camp, but he should get his chance quickly at the rate Matt gets hurt.

Meanwhile in Denver, it's hard to get a read on whether Quinn was brought in to be the QB of the future or just an upgrade over Simms at backup.

BRONCOS_OWN_U16
03-19-2010, 01:48 PM
no one cares.

theshiverman
03-19-2010, 02:05 PM
It would be funny if Charlie Whitehurst goes to the seahawks and wins a super bowl, meanwhile Rivers aint won jack, that would have Charger fans jumping out of windows and off bridges, if there any left to jump out windows after Big Ben, Eli and Drew have all got rings on their fingers...:)

Boltheads
03-19-2010, 02:09 PM
no one cares.Only because most people can't see beyond their keyboards. Look, Denver fans should care. Neither Orton or Quinn is the long-term answer. Unless Denver drafts a QB early, Bronco fans should be upset that two years after losing their franchise QB they still have no plan in place to solve their problem.

At least Seattle has a plan in place.

ERoyal248
03-19-2010, 02:09 PM
It would be funny if Charlie Whitehurst goes to the seahawks and wins a super bowl, meanwhile Rivers aint won jack, that would have Charger fans jumping out of windows and off bridges, if there any left to jump out windows after Big Ben, Eli and Drew have all got rings on their fingers...:)

And Matt Schaub too..

Boltheads
03-19-2010, 02:10 PM
It would be funny if Charlie Whitehurst goes to the seahawks and wins a super bowl, meanwhile Rivers aint won jack, that would have Charger fans jumping out of windows and off bridges, if there any left to jump out windows after Big Ben, Eli and Drew have all got rings on their fingers...:)It would be even funnier if LT won a ring with the Jets first.

ERoyal248
03-19-2010, 02:10 PM
Only because most people can't see beyond their keyboards. Look, Denver fans should care. Neither Orton or Quinn is the long-term answer. Unless Denver drafts a QB early, Bronco fans should be upset that two years after losing their franchise QB they still have no plan in place to solve their problem.

Great plan, trade a top 40 pick and a future 3rd for someone who's done dittly squat. Nobody knows what Quinn can do here, you dont, nobody does, only time will tell.

Boltheads
03-19-2010, 02:16 PM
Great plan, trade a top 40 pick and a future 3rd for someone who's done dittly squat. Nobody knows what Quinn can do here, you dont, nobody does, only time will tell.Last time I checked, Mike Holmgren knew a thing or two on how to evaluate QBs. Bronco fans are under the impression that Quinn (or anybody for that matter) couldn't have success with the "team" he had in Cleveland.

Holmgren on the other hand knew the "team" could never have success with Quinn or Anderson as their QB. Mike watched about 10 min of game film and starting calling GMs around the league to see who would take those stiffs....and he was willing to give them away for basically nothing (which is what Denver paid).

ERoyal248
03-19-2010, 02:23 PM
Last time I checked, Mike Holmgren knew a thing or two on how to evaluate QBs. Bronco fans are under the impression that Quinn (or anybody for that matter) couldn't have success with the "team" he had in Cleveland.

Holmgren on the other hand knew the "team" could never have success with Quinn or Anderson as their QB. Mike watched about 10 min of game film and starting calling GMs around the league to see who would take those stiffs....and he was willing to give them away for basically nothing (which is what Denver paid).

Takes longer then 14 games playing in Cleveland to judge a QB. Brees didnt start out well, neither did Peyton Manning, i'm not saying he's as good as either of those, but it takes longer then 14 starts to judge a player. He's only 25, no one knows what Quinn is or isnt. He hasnt played enough, hasnt played on a team that has helped him in any way and hasnt had any stability to speak of. The price is right and if he plays I doubt he'll be put in a positioin where he has to be Drew Brees or Philip Rivers in running our offense. Anyone who doesnt like this move, homer or hater, just doesnt get it.

theshiverman
03-19-2010, 02:25 PM
It would be even funnier if LT won a ring with the Jets first.

That would maybe be even worse for Charger fans, that one would have some sting to it, and im only going off what i have read on the charger forum, but there seems to be a lot of fans that think LT has stabbed them in the back for going to the Jets.

Boltheads
03-19-2010, 03:15 PM
Takes longer then 14 games playing in Cleveland to judge a QB. Brees didnt start out well, neither did Peyton Manning, i'm not saying he's as good as either of those, but it takes longer then 14 starts to judge a player. He's only 25, no one knows what Quinn is or isnt. He hasnt played enough, hasnt played on a team that has helped him in any way and hasnt had any stability to speak of. The price is right and if he plays I doubt he'll be put in a positioin where he has to be Drew Brees or Philip Rivers in running our offense. Anyone who doesnt like this move, homer or hater, just doesnt get it.The price "appears" to be right, but I think it is going to eventually create a QB controversy and it might divide the locker room. I am definitely seeing that division being drawn on the GD board.

As far as knowing who Quinn "is".....I'm just going to trust Mike Holgrem over Josh McDaniels.

And....I'm going to laugh my butt off if Denver drafts Tim Tebow.

Boltheads
03-19-2010, 03:17 PM
That would maybe be even worse for Charger fans, that one would have some sting to it, and im only going off what i have read on the charger forum, but there seems to be a lot of fans that think LT has stabbed them in the back for going to the Jets.Letting go of aging Super Stars is never pretty (see: Brett Favre, Emmit Smith, Marcus Allen, etc), but I don't blame LT for wanting another shot.....and San Diego wasn't going to give it to him.

aditheman
03-19-2010, 03:46 PM
That's right. San Diego's 3rd string, clipboard toting QB is way better than Denver's potential starting QB.

Well.....at least he is based on the NFL Draft Value Chart the GMs use. Seattle gave up 390 Draft Value points to get Whitehurst, Denver only gave up 28 DVPs to get Quinn.

Either someone really overpaid....or, someone got a really good deal. Probably a little of both.

Why do you care. He's not a Charger anymore. Also results speak for themselves, so far Charlie Whitehurst has 0, can I repeat that 0 (z-e-r-o) results or stats in this league in 4 years. He has not thrown a damn ball.

Good bye!

EddieMac
03-19-2010, 05:29 PM
It sure looks like Seattle traded way to much for Whithurst but really look at this senerio:

They give up 20 spots in the 2nd round and then a future 3rd. If they plan on using that new 2nd round pick to get a restricted free agent, who cares where it is in the round. It has become theirs so it is the one they give up to make the trade. Throw in a poison pill, which they have done, and the other team is ripped off somewhat. Seattle has given up a future (mid, maybe the way that division is going right now) 3rd for Whithurst. They don't care too much what San Diego does in the 2nd now either becasue they won't draft in teh second round this year.

they could use it on Charle Johnson (Colts). he started last season for the Colts and did quite well. That position is taken care of and with two first they can address other positions, or still take an OT and move Johnson to guard and they they have their backup.

And remember they gave up more for Hassleback who was also on the bench when they acquired him.

just a though but another perspective.

Lyghts Out
03-19-2010, 10:31 PM
Why do you care. He's not a Charger anymore. Also results speak for themselves, so far Charlie Whitehurst has 0, can I repeat that 0 (z-e-r-o) results or stats in this league in 4 years. He has not thrown a damn ball.

Good bye!

Actually....he had a 14-15 yd td run against the Titans, I believe it was.....thats one stat. (o-n-e)

IgorBStrange
03-20-2010, 02:12 AM
Only because most people can't see beyond their keyboards. Look, Denver fans should care. Neither Orton or Quinn is the long-term answer. Unless Denver drafts a QB early, Bronco fans should be upset that two years after losing their franchise QB they still have no plan in place to solve their problem.

Yeah, like your team's plan to win their fourth consecutive Super Bowl in a row this next season and create a dynasty bigger than Pittsburgh or Dallas in the 1970's and 1980's.

Care to detail how that plan has worked so far?

Now back to Boltheads for another educated, well thought out smackdown reply.

Jer_ber73
03-20-2010, 09:03 AM
By the OP's logic sanfrancisco has the TWO best qb's in the league right now.....

elway 1987
03-20-2010, 09:16 AM
So you are telling me that a guy that hasn't done diddly squat in 4 years in the NFL besides his 2 car 13 yds 1TD (back in 2006) is better than Brady Quinn. Dude you make me laugh:laugh::laugh:

Boltheads
03-20-2010, 10:54 AM
Yeah, like your team's plan to win their fourth consecutive Super Bowl in a row this next season and create a dynasty bigger than Pittsburgh or Dallas in the 1970's and 1980's.

Care to detail how that plan has worked so far?

Now back to Boltheads for another educated, well thought out smackdown reply.I'll assume you are talking about San Diego's plan. When John Butler and AJ Smith took over the team their plan was to rebuild the team through the draft and stay away from high-priced FAs. They also decided that no player was more important than the team and they were willing to trade or let go of anyone if they could improve the team. They passed on Vick and got LT and Brees in return. AJ passed on E. Manning and got River, Merriman, and Kaeding.

And with the most recent trade, AJ will mostly likely add their future RB and NT through the draft. When paired with the rest of this year's draft picks and current team San Diego will again own your team.

They have stuck to this plan and it has yielded five division titles in the last six years. Until your team can win more games than it loses, your smack isn't relevant. So, your better off reminding us how many rings you have.

Boltheads
03-20-2010, 10:57 AM
So you are telling me that a guy that hasn't done diddly squat in 4 years in the NFL besides his 2 car 13 yds 1TD (back in 2006) is better than Brady Quinn. Dude you make me laugh:laugh::laugh:The fact that Whitehurst couldn't beat out Rivers or Volek doesn't mean he isn't better than Quinn. I can name about 8 QBs coming out of college, 20 that are still in college, and 15 that are in high school that are all better than Quinn.

ERoyal248
03-20-2010, 11:42 AM
I'll assume you are talking about San Diego's plan. When John Butler and AJ Smith took over the team their plan was to rebuild the team through the draft and stay away from high-priced FAs. They also decided that no player was more important than the team and they were willing to trade or let go of anyone if they could improve the team. They passed on Vick and got LT and Brees in return. AJ passed on E. Manning and got Rivers, Merriman, and Kaeding.

And with the most recent trade, AJ will mostly likely add their future RB and NT through the draft. When paired with the rest of this year's draft picks and current team San Diego will again own your team.

They have stuck to this plan and it has yielded five division titles in the last six years. Until your team can win more games than it loses, your smack isn't relevant. So, your better off reminding us how many rings you have.

SD is doing well through the draft but 07 and 08 havent been that great, but with Merriman, are they going to re-sign him, or is he gonna walk after this yr. They have Phillips there and just drafted English who plays the same position as Merriman. Should of drafted Oher instead and keep Merriman.

ERoyal248
03-20-2010, 11:46 AM
The fact that Whitehurst couldn't beat out Rivers or Volek doesn't mean he isn't better than Quinn. I can name about 8 QBs coming out of college, 20 that are still in college, and 15 that are in high school that are all better than Quinn.

Name them.. Only ones coming out of college i'd say Clausen or Bradford over Quinn and thats debatable. Locker or Mallett still in college. Good luck the high school QB's. :salute:

ChargersDivison
03-20-2010, 02:53 PM
Keep in mind who's holding the reigns in Seattle. ;)

I don't have a horse in this race so I don't give a rip, I just think that it's important to remember who the Seahawks new HC, who insisted on total control, is. That can't be left out of the discussion.

Arizona was interested in Whitehurst to. You know a HC who took his team to the SB and was seconds away from winning.

Only they weren't gonna pay Charlie as much as Seattle.

Boltheads
03-20-2010, 03:34 PM
Name them.. Only ones coming out of college i'd say Clausen or Bradford over Quinn and thats debatable. Locker or Mallett still in college. Good luck the high school QB's. :salute:You think it's debatable that Quinn is better than Clausen or Bradford? You realized that Bradford could be the #1 pick in the draft and Clausen could also be in the top 10.

Do you really think Mike Holgren would give up a franchise-type QB for a fourth string RB and two very late round draft choices?

Boltheads
03-20-2010, 03:42 PM
SD is doing well through the draft but 07 and 08 havent been that great, but with Merriman, are they going to re-sign him, or is he gonna walk after this yr. They have Phillips there and just drafted English who plays the same position as Merriman. Should of drafted Oher instead and keep Merriman.I personally think that Merriman is done. I don't think he will ever be the pass rusher he was before his injury. I know a lot of people say that it takes a full year of playing to get back to where you were (with his type of injury), but I just didn't seem him making any progress last year.

However, he is the leader of that defense and unless somebody steps up this year the Chargers need to take that into consideration. Because they were a lot worse in '08 without him in the huddle.

ERoyal248
03-20-2010, 03:56 PM
You think it's debatable that Quinn is better than Clausen or Bradford? You realized that Bradford could be the #1 pick in the draft and Clausen could also be in the top 10.

Do you really think Mike Holgren would give up a franchise-type QB for a fourth string RB and two very late round draft choices?

Ok, i'll agree with that, but he's played 14 games, 3 combined when he had Braylon and Winslow.. I guess so, he gave up there best and only pass rusher for a 3rd round pick, i dont know what there doing. Never said he's a "franchise" type QB, but he can be a good QB with the right coaching, something he's never had in the NFL.

Boltheads
03-20-2010, 04:12 PM
Ok, i'll agree with that, but he's played 14 games, 3 combined when he had Braylon and Winslow.. I guess so, he gave up there best and only pass rusher for a 3rd round pick, i dont know what there doing. Never said he's a "franchise" type QB, but he can be a good QB with the right coaching, something he's never had in the NFL.He's only 25 and a change of scenery might turn things around. I just remember him slipping that year in the draft all the way to #22. Then, he couldn't even beat out Derek Anderson last year. Now, Holmgren ships him off nothing in return.

Ever since Denver lost Cutler, Bronco fans get their hopes on every QB move - Orton, Brandstater, and now Quinn.

aditheman
03-20-2010, 11:11 PM
Actually....he had a 14-15 yd td run against the Titans, I believe it was.....thats one stat. (o-n-e)

Thanks for proving my point, lol numbnuts. He's not a QB.:salute:

yamwr250
03-25-2010, 04:49 PM
I don't know if I'd really call Holmgren a QB guru, if memory serves Montana and Young were picked up by Walsh (Montana), and Siefert (Young). Also, I think Favre was already the QB in Green Bay when he took over. Not that he wasn't productive with them, but he didn't hand pick them. As far as this thread, I'm not sure how much smack it is to talk about how your team got a high draft pick for a third stringer while the division foe just picked up a backup for a low picked FB who had 371 yards rushing in his career. Just how does that make us look bad?

SLVR and Black
03-25-2010, 06:16 PM
I don't know if I'd really call Holmgren a QB guru, if memory serves Montana and Young were picked up by Walsh (Montana), and Siefert (Young). Also, I think Favre was already the QB in Green Bay when he took over. Not that he wasn't productive with them, but he didn't hand pick them. Holmgren was Young's coach at BYU, Young credits Holmgren as being the guy who taught him how to throw a spiral. And yes, Montana was Walsh's guy but Holmgren was QB's coach in SF when Young was picked up. I'd be really surprised if he didn't have something to do with bringing Young in as he was a total bust in TB.

Beagle
03-25-2010, 07:11 PM
I don't know if I'd really call Holmgren a QB guru, if memory serves Montana and Young were picked up by Walsh (Montana), and Siefert (Young). Also, I think Favre was already the QB in Green Bay when he took over. Not that he wasn't productive with them, but he didn't hand pick them. As far as this thread, I'm not sure how much smack it is to talk about how your team got a high draft pick for a third stringer while the division foe just picked up a backup for a low picked FB who had 371 yards rushing in his career. Just how does that make us look bad?

Walsh brought in Montana and Young. Holmgren traded for Favre and then traded for Hasselbeckin seattle who he also groomed in GB.He also coached and traded Mark Brunell(not a bad nfl qb)and Ty Detmer who shouldn't have been allowed to throw a newspaper with those noodle thin arms yet was a great back up for years.His roster at qb was so deep and talented at GB that at one point they cut Kurt Warner because he couldn't even win the 3rd string spot.

If Holmgren thinks he is trash then I tend to agree.Then again he might not have fit the system that Holmgrn want to run there.