PDA

View Full Version : Jackie Robinson Day.

Southstander
04-16-2010, 07:02 PM
On the annivarsary of Jackie Robinson's breaking of MLB "color barrior every player on every team, as well as Coaches, Managers and Umpires wore his number 42 Jersey. This is the one day a year, aside for the Yankees Mariano Rivera, that his number is used in a Major League game. This is because the every team in the League retired his number. My questions to you is, would it be wrong if player refused to were the number? Since they retired it, is it wrong that they bring it back once a year, does it take away from the fact it is retired. I do know they do not allow custom orders through MLBSHOP.com to order a #42 jersey, so do not have the players wear it once a year to boast sales.

CTM
04-16-2010, 11:02 PM
This is the one day a year, aside for the Yankees Mariano Rivera, that his number is used in a Major League game.

This is something I never get. Why does Rivera get to wear 42 when its been retired by MLB?

Was he wearing it before they decided to retire the number? I know he represents the number very well and I have no real problem with him wearing it, I just always wonder why he's able to when no one else is.

Southstander
04-17-2010, 07:08 PM
This is something I never get. Why does Rivera get to wear 42 when its been retired by MLB?

Was he wearing it before they decided to retire the number? I know he represents the number very well and I have no real problem with him wearing it, I just always wonder why he's able to when no one else is.

He was wearing at the time it was retired, along with a hand full of other players. Since they already had the number they could keep it, but no one else can have it on a regular basis.

To behonest, and I am not saying this as a Sox fan, I have a problem with it. I also think Mo Vaghn, who wore it in Boston after it was retired, sould not have continued to wear it. Even though they could. They should have done what Ray Bourque did wean the Bruins retired Phil Espistio's number. He skated out to center ice wearing in his normal #7 jersey, took it off and hand it to Phil, reveling he had switched to #77.

Southstander
04-17-2010, 09:14 PM
I am suprised that this has 22 views and only two votes. I though for sure all the seamheads would have an opnion on this.