PDA

View Full Version : I recommend the sport of Cricket.....

marktippins1981
04-30-2010, 09:57 AM
Right then, as an Englishman, I have taken the liberty to learn the game of American Football, and fallen completely in love with it....

The ICC World Twenty20 World Cup is taking place in the Caribbean at the moment, and I urge you Americans to give it a go.

It is the most tactical game/sport I have ever played or watched, and once you've got the rules learnt, it is incredibly exciting and rewarding to watch.

Playing it, as with most sports, is better than watching, and helps you get into it, so if there are any local leagues near you, then I really do recommend you give it a go - especially if you like playing Baseball. Hitting a FOUR or a SIX is the most rewarding feeling I have experienced in any sport.

So come on you Yanks, go and give Cricket a go!

Test Cricket is the purest form, but Twenty20 (much shorter version), might more enjoyable for you.

Any questions? Then fire then my way.

marktippins1981
05-06-2010, 05:09 PM
No one even remotely interested?

Amari24
05-06-2010, 05:16 PM
I don't know to much of those type of sports. But there is stuff he I haven't tried like Lacrosse. Cricket I just haven't seemed to be interested in lol. And I heard tough guys play Rugby and all that. I might watch some videos of it just to see how it is like. But I have yet to see a full cricket game so I cant really judge.

samparnell
05-06-2010, 05:42 PM
... at Western State College in Gunnison, Colorado; at New Mexico Tech in Socorro and at UNM.

I actually can bowl pretty well. Broke a few wickets.

marktippins1981
05-11-2010, 11:37 AM
Cool....broken a few stumps in my time too :)

I guess you guys just wont have the same opportunity to play it like we do over here, but it really is a fantastic game. Can't say enough good about it really.

If anyone gets the opportunity to try it, I really suggest you do it. Same with watching it on TV. It's awesome :D

marktippins1981
10-17-2010, 03:04 AM
Cricket rocks!!! :)

/bump

Howtobedead
10-17-2010, 12:47 PM
I don't like Cricket...

I love it!

LSIGRAD09
10-17-2010, 02:22 PM
Heard of it, don't know how to play it.

Can you hit your opponent over the head? I would like that.:D

DC Bronco
11-01-2010, 04:40 PM
Cricket is wild and long I,ve watched a few match's but dont understand all the rules and scoring but am learning reminds me of two base baseball on as circle field whats not to like or at least try it to find out

marktippins1981
12-23-2010, 08:56 AM
If anyone wants me to, then I can teach you the rules.....

I have been taught American Football, and thoroughly thankful for it, so I am more than willing to pass on Cricket to you Americans.

milehighireland
12-23-2010, 09:12 PM
Right then, as an Englishman, I have taken the liberty to learn the game of American Football, and fallen completely in love with it....

The ICC World Twenty20 World Cup is taking place in the Caribbean at the moment, and I urge you Americans to give it a go.

It is the most tactical game/sport I have ever played or watched, and once you've got the rules learnt, it is incredibly exciting and rewarding to watch.

Playing it, as with most sports, is better than watching, and helps you get into it, so if there are any local leagues near you, then I really do recommend you give it a go - especially if you like playing Baseball. Hitting a FOUR or a SIX is the most rewarding feeling I have experienced in any sport.

So come on you Yanks, go and give Cricket a go!

Test Cricket is the purest form, but Twenty20 (much shorter version), might more enjoyable for you.

Any questions? Then fire then my way.

right so... england or australia for the ashes?

Jay3
12-23-2010, 09:14 PM
No one even remotely interested?

I am, but I want to play. I just noticed a Cricket Club sign near where I live. Maybe I'll go out there one Sunday afternoon. It's probably a bunch of Indians, but maybe they'll be happy to see a "native" come out and play. :D

Jay3
12-23-2010, 09:15 PM
If anyone wants me to, then I can teach you the rules.....

I have been taught American Football, and thoroughly thankful for it, so I am more than willing to pass on Cricket to you Americans.

Did you read Joseph O'Neill's Netherland? I think you might like it. I read it because of good reviews, and it made me have a fascination with cricket.

I also used to watch some when I was on assignment in the Middle East. Watch on TV, I mean.

jaycuthroat
12-23-2010, 09:16 PM
wanna know a even BETTER sport

GAELIC FOOTBALL

went to the all ireland semi final last year loved it

marktippins1981
12-24-2010, 04:02 AM
right so... england or australia for the ashes?

Not sure. Everyone over here is confident England will win, but I am not so sure. Those Aussies are dangerous when their wounded....the last test proved that.

I think the series will be a draw, with us retaining the Ashes. Hurrah!

marktippins1981
12-24-2010, 04:04 AM
Did you read Joseph O'Neill's Netherland? I think you might like it. I read it because of good reviews, and it made me have a fascination with cricket.

I also used to watch some when I was on assignment in the Middle East. Watch on TV, I mean.

Not even heard of it. I read 'Penguins Stop Play', which was a fabulous read, especially if you are interested in Cricket.

If I had known, I would have put it on my Xmas list. I'll have to try and get it in the new year. Thanks for the tip :)

marktippins1981
12-24-2010, 04:06 AM
I am, but I want to play. I just noticed a Cricket Club sign near where I live. Maybe I'll go out there one Sunday afternoon. It's probably a bunch of Indians, but maybe they'll be happy to see a "native" come out and play. :D

They'd love it I reckon. If you like baseball, then you'll love Cricket. So much more rewarding, just a bit more complicated, so takes a while to learn enough of the rules to enjoy it....

It's a bit like American Football, in that there are a lot of rules, so for the first 4 or 5 years, you will always be learning something you didn't know.

Fantastic sport anyway, and great for the summer, cause it's not too energetic, unless you are bowling or batting a long innings.

Jay3
12-24-2010, 04:09 AM
If you are at bat, and hit the ball, you don't have to run, right? If it's just a weak hit on the ground and you don't think you can make it, you can just sit tight, right?

marktippins1981
12-27-2010, 06:25 AM
If you are at bat, and hit the ball, you don't have to run, right? If it's just a weak hit on the ground and you don't think you can make it, you can just sit tight, right?

That's right mate, yeah. You don't have to run. It's one of the cool elements of the game, in that you have a battle against the bowler. It tests your patience, and the bowlers....

In 'Test' Cricket, you will play a lot of defensive shots, that are aimed at keeping you at the crease, by defending your stumps (the wickets). The bowler will try to tempt the batsman into a shot, and he has to resist, which sounds easy to do, but it is not. Great mental strength needed for top class batsmen.

In 'One Day' Cricket, you will see less defensive shots, and more attacking, because you only have a limited amount of deliveries being bowled at you, so you want to maximise your teams chance of scoring runs. Doesn't matter how many wickets you lose, as long as you aren't 'all-out'.

It's very confusing, but I urge you guys to give it a go. Cricket = Awesome Game

The Ashes is on at the moment, which is a battle between England and Australia. One of the biggest sporting rivalries across the globe. Fantastic action, and we are wining at the moment (sort of)

:)

Jay3
12-27-2010, 06:29 AM
I thought about you a couple of days ago -- I drove by that Cricket Club and was thinking about going out there. When warm weather gets here, maybe so.

morlakai
01-28-2011, 12:29 AM
yeah im indian so im a huge fan too, my dad knows cricket extremely well always on cricinfo.com looking up stats

i like ODIs, 2020s are meh since I like watching good bowling

World cup coming up :O