PDA

View Full Version : A test for Floyd Mayweather.

InsaneBlaze23
05-02-2010, 06:57 PM
I got a good test for the "best pound for pound" fighter in boxing.

Lets see how what Floyd calls himself "best in sports" fair against will fighters.

Lets see how Money Mayweather fairs against Anderson Silva or Brock Lesnar.

I wanna see Floyd fight in MMA.

Do any of you guys agree? The guy is calling himself the best fighter in sports so why not fight vs "real" fighters.

No big gloves,no four corners.

I think Floyd would get his tail whipped in a MMA fight.

But lets see Floyd fight a real mans fight in the octagon.
http://tophatal1.files.wordpress.com/2009/04/anderson-silva-delivrs-a-crushing-knee-shot-to-the-head-of-rich-franklin.jpg
Silva v.
http://blog.mlive.com/boxing_impact/2008/06/1mayweather.jpg
Floyd

I wanna see it.

TheQBGuru
05-02-2010, 07:03 PM
Im sorry, but MMA sucks.

InsaneBlaze23
05-02-2010, 07:08 PM
Im sorry, but MMA sucks.

What are you smoking?

MMA is a good stress reliever. I've been fight for a year in a half its mega fun,watching is good to.
It also depends on who you see fighting, I would think UFC over boxing any day of the week,month,year.

HurricaneDovs
05-02-2010, 07:17 PM
Yeah I dont think that would be a fair fight for Mayweather. He probably is a better striker than most, if not all, MMA fighters. But he would get destroyed simply because he would not know how to counter a ground attack. He has no experience grappling so he probably wouldnt fare to well.

GridironChamp
05-02-2010, 07:20 PM
1) Pound for pound means his skill paired with his size is better than anyone else.
Thus fighting Silva or Brock would be completely retarded seeming they both
would make him look like a dwarf. If you want him to have an MMA fight he would
fight someone like Jose Aldo (He would actually fight someone from WEC cuz
in his last fight Mayweather weighed in at 147 and 155 is as low as UFC goes).

2) Granted Aldo would still smash him, but had you given Mayweather 10+ years
of mma training and not boxing he would probably be EXTREMELY good. It's like
saying have Aldo go box Mayweather, it'd just be stupid.

You can't compare boxers to mma fighters in a sense of fighting each other, it just
cant be done.

Tarquin
05-02-2010, 07:22 PM
What are you smoking?

MMA is a good stress reliever. I've been fight for a year in a half its mega fun,watching is good to.
It also depends on who you see fighting, I would think UFC over boxing any day of the week,month,year.

Let me guess, you were a Language Arts professor before you started doing MMA.

Either that or perhaps you should answer your own question.

PhillyBronco24
05-02-2010, 07:25 PM
Thats never gonna happen for 1. Dana white would not allow it and 2. Floyd is a little girl and knows deep down vs a true fighter he would lose, main reason he didnt want to fight pacquiao. 3. Sorta unfair for the simple fact put any boxer in the octogan and they will all get beat down.

jc13
05-02-2010, 07:33 PM
i love anderson silva hes my favorite fighter of all time but cmon you serious?

if the spider could get a hold of mayweather he would rip him into peaces.

Anderson Silva has legitimate one punch knockout power. he would fook him up bad.

where about to find out how a boxer fares against an mma fighter at UFC 118

James Toney is going to fight Randy Couture

TheQBGuru
05-02-2010, 07:47 PM
Instead of putting a boxer in an MMA ring why not put an MMA fighter in a boxing ring?

I wonder who'd win then? :rolleyes:

Nightwing
05-02-2010, 07:58 PM
Yeah, I'm not sure how Floyd Mayweather claiming to be the pound for pound king (which he has a legitimate claim) has anything to do with mixed martial arts.

With that said, the reason I want to see Mayweather step into the octagon is because of how much trash he talks regarding MMA. I'm a fan of combat sports in general. I love boxing, MMA, K1, pure grappling matches, and anything in between.

I'd pay to see Mayweather take just one leg kick from someone like Thiago Alves or Jose Aldo. For someone that's never been kicked, or knows how to check it, you won't be able to walk for the rest of the day.

Still, this thread is a little ridiculous.

rst08tierney
05-02-2010, 08:19 PM
Im sorry, but MMA sucks.

Im with the new guy on this one

HurricaneDovs
05-02-2010, 08:35 PM
Ive got no problem with MMA. In fact ive seen a couple matches where ive been left going :jawdrop:.

But it just doesnt seem to have the same artistry that boxing had in its heyday. I mean you hear guys talk about how they saw Ali fight and it was like watching a ballet or something. It just seems boxing has more art and mastery to it. Whereas MMA just seems to be two guys kicking the crap out of each other most of the time. Which thats not to say its not bad, but I could probably go to downtown Phx to see that.

Like I dont know if I see someone 50 years down the road sitting their grandson on their lap and saying "Son, watching Couture in that fight against "whoever" was etc." like you hear some older guys talk about Ali and such today.

But thats just my humble opinion. No disrespect intended to the sport or its fans. :salute!:

InsaneBlaze23
05-02-2010, 08:41 PM
Let me guess, you were a Language Arts professor before you started doing MMA.

Either that or perhaps you should answer your own question.

Well if I was a professor I would be one damn smart 18yr old.

InsaneBlaze23
05-02-2010, 08:44 PM
i love anderson silva hes my favorite fighter of all time but cmon you serious?

if the spider could get a hold of mayweather he would rip him into peaces.

Anderson Silva has legitimate one punch knockout power. he would fook him up bad.

where about to find out how a boxer fares against an mma fighter at UFC 118

James Toney is going to fight Randy Couture

Thats a massacre.
The only edge for Toney is Randy's age,Couture is a all out animal.

Nightwing
05-02-2010, 08:59 PM
Ive got no problem with MMA. In fact ive seen a couple matches where ive been left going :jawdrop:.

But it just doesnt seem to have the same artistry that boxing had in its heyday. I mean you hear guys talk about how they saw Ali fight and it was like watching a ballet or something. It just seems boxing has more art and mastery to it. Whereas MMA just seems to be two guys kicking the crap out of each other most of the time. Which thats not to say its not bad, but I could probably go to downtown Phx to see that.

Like I dont know if I see someone 50 years down the road sitting their grandson on their lap and saying "Son, watching Couture in that fight against "whoever" was etc." like you hear some older guys talk about Ali and such today.

But thats just my humble opinion. No disrespect intended to the sport or its fans. :salute!:

I definitely respect your opinion, and can agree with you to a certain extent.

Most people, especially the casual viewer, generally won't be able to see a lot of the more intricate parts of mixed martial arts. One of the most famous fights, Griffin vs Bonnar, was basically just a brawl that didn't display a lot of technique, and I think there's where some of the perspective comes from.

Brazilian jiu jitsu is literally one of the most complex martial arts in existence. A lot of people look at it and say "oh, that's two guys hugging" when it couldn't be farther from the truth. You constantly have to think two steps ahead of your opponent. If you watch a high level grappling match, like something that takes place at ADCC, you'll see more of the 'artistic' side.

Or a fighter with more refined stand up technique. Mirko Cro Cop, during his run in pride, was amazing to watch. Powerful, powerful kicks. Lyoto Machida's defensive abilities, Anderson Silva's stunning precision. MMA is still in it's infancy, far from a finished product, it's just something to remember.

HurricaneDovs
05-02-2010, 09:26 PM
I definitely respect your opinion, and can agree with you to a certain extent.

Most people, especially the casual viewer, generally won't be able to see a lot of the more intricate parts of mixed martial arts. One of the most famous fights, Griffin vs Bonnar, was basically just a brawl that didn't display a lot of technique, and I think there's where some of the perspective comes from.

Brazilian jiu jitsu is literally one of the most complex martial arts in existence. A lot of people look at it and say "oh, that's two guys hugging" when it couldn't be farther from the truth. You constantly have to think two steps ahead of your opponent. If you watch a high level grappling match, like something that takes place at ADCC, you'll see more of the 'artistic' side.

Or a fighter with more refined stand up technique. Mirko Cro Cop, during his run in pride, was amazing to watch. Powerful, powerful kicks. Lyoto Machida's defensive abilities, Anderson Silva's stunning precision. MMA is still in it's infancy, far from a finished product, it's just something to remember.

Oh no doubt. I definitely can see where youre coming from. I am a fan of martial arts. All of em. Ive become a big fan of judo, and as soon as I can get some freakin money I plan on starting some lessons. So I definitely understand how its much more than just "two guys hugging". And I know there can be some really amazing fights.

But I also know that sometimes it can turn into a straightout brawl/streetfight which isnt fun to watch all the time. Technique and seeing a guy execute a perfect move is the stuff that makes me go "DAAAAAANG!". :D

jc13
05-02-2010, 09:37 PM
not if randy couture decides to stand up and bang for a while...

i think james toney has a legit shot of knocking him out.

i think randy would probably box with him for a round and then just take it to the ground in round 2 and 3.

BroncoManiac_69
05-02-2010, 10:46 PM
We the fans of the Pac-Man crowd want the winner of this one!

Bring it on MayFlower!!

TheQBGuru
05-02-2010, 10:47 PM
Is it just me or are Pacman fans unbearable?

BroncoManiac_69
05-02-2010, 11:17 PM
Is it just me or are Pacman fans unbearable?

We are everywhere.

TheQBGuru
05-02-2010, 11:52 PM
http://i36.tinypic.com/ws6py.jpg

I love watching mayweather fight

InsaneBlaze23
05-03-2010, 02:19 AM
http://i36.tinypic.com/ws6py.jpg

I love watching mayweather fight

Lol at this video.

It proves what I was about to say next.

Mayflower is a blocker with fast hands,every fight he faces are complete strikers. So half the time Floyd is blocking there strikes than as they get tired he uses his speedy hands to knock them out. Much like the episode of Family Guy when the old lady was fighting Mike Tyson in won.

In if you really wanna see Floyd fight a kicking master than maybe Forrest Griffin would be a better match than Silva.

BluenOrnge4Life
05-03-2010, 07:31 AM
Mayweather is a boxer dude not a mma'er.

HurricaneDovs
05-03-2010, 10:32 AM
Lol at this video.

Mayflower is a blocker with fast hands,every fight he faces are complete strikers. So half the time Floyd is blocking there strikes than as they get tired he uses his speedy hands to knock them out. Much like the episode of Family Guy when the old lady was fighting Mike Tyson in won.

In if you really wanna see Floyd fight a kicking master than maybe Forrest Griffin would be a better match than Silva.

Wasnt Ali the same thing with his Rope-A-Dope strategy? Why sit there and trade shots with a guy when you can tire him out and then knock him out.

Thats just being smart.

Kno-Sean
05-03-2010, 10:41 AM
Lol at this video.

I wanna see Forrest Griffin kick you.

Hoserman117
05-03-2010, 10:47 AM
You can't match up a 147 pound boxer with a 200 pound MMAer in an MMA fight.

I'm sure if you asked them to fight Mayweather in a boxing match they'd get their ass kicked.

TRUEBRONCOFAN24
05-03-2010, 10:57 AM
We are everywhere.

I don't even like boxing all that much and I like the Pac-Man. I bet he would obliterate Mayweather. :salute!:

TheQBGuru
05-03-2010, 01:45 PM
Wasnt Ali the same thing with his Rope-A-Dope strategy? Why sit there and trade shots with a guy when you can tire him out and then knock him out.

Thats just being smart.

Exactly. Its efficient boxing.

InsaneBlaze23
05-03-2010, 02:28 PM

Thats just being smart.

These are not the Ali days. Boxing is different now. Ali didn't choose his enemy's he made them by beating everybody.
Floyd does not do that.

To the other guy.
I would let Griffin kick me.

HurricaneDovs
05-03-2010, 02:37 PM
These are not the Ali days. Boxing is different now. Ali didn't choose his enemy's he made them by beating everybody.
Floyd does not do that.

To the other guy.
I would let Griffin kick me.

Ok. That just seems more like a personality thing. Not strategy while in a match.

Im sorry it just seems to me itd be better to block and dodge punches than let a guy repeatedly tattoo his knuckles to your face.

InsaneBlaze23
05-03-2010, 02:43 PM
I don't even like boxing all that much and I like the Pac-Man. I bet he would obliterate Mayweather. :salute!:

You do know the only reason they didn't fight was because Pac-man didn't wanna take a drug test.

Meaning Manny is using drugs to win. Since he is so scared of a test. Plus a complete drug test.

InsaneBlaze23
05-03-2010, 02:48 PM
Ok. That just seems more like a personality thing. Not strategy while in a match.

Im sorry it just seems to me itd be better to block and dodge punches than let a guy repeatedly tattoo his knuckles to your face.

Thats not what I meant.

My in ring strategy is beat the hell out of the guy im fighting.
In use my leg speed to avid hits then take the guy out on the mat.

Blocking is good just not if thats what your doing for the first 10 mins of the fight.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
05-03-2010, 02:55 PM
You do know the only reason they didn't fight was because Pac-man didn't wanna take a drug test.

Meaning Manny is using drugs to win. Since he is so scared of a test. Plus a complete drug test.

No, he has a fear of needles. He agreed to take a drug test, just not one that requires a blood draw. Urine testing is far more common. It's rather unusual that the Mayweather camp would ask for that kind of a blood test.

Personally, I think it's a bad match up for Manny. Manny might be as good pound for pound, but he's of a smaller stature. There really isn't anybody Floyd's size that can give him a run for the money. Mosely doesn't have the hand speed he use to have. I would have loved to seen Floyd go up against Roy Jones. Roy was the best pounder for pound fighter I have ever seen when he was in his prime (that includes Mike Tyson, Sugar Ray Leonard, and Julio Ceasar Chavez).

InsaneBlaze23
05-03-2010, 04:28 PM
There's still a chance.

[QUOTE]Now that Floyd Mayweather Jr. has dispatched Shane Mosley, talk immediately turned to the potential showdown with Manny Pacquiao, who has apparently softened his stance on the drug testing procedures that derailed their negotiations in January.

Pacquiao
Pacquiao and Mayweather, universally regarded as the top two fighters in boxing, tried to make the mega fight in December and January.

The camps had agreed on all terms except for the way to handle drug testing for what many believe would be the biggest money fight in boxing history. The all-time pay-per-view record of 2.45 million was set in Mayweather's victory against Oscar De La Hoya in 2007.

When Pacquiao and Mayweather reached an impasse, Pacquiao went on to easily defeat Joshua Clottey on March 13 and Mayweather took a lopsided unanimous decision against Mosley in their welterweight super fight on Saturday night.

Mayweather, who accused Pacquiao of using performance enhancing drugs despite having no evidence, had insisted on strict blood and urine testing, which was employed during the lead up and immediate aftermath of his fight with Mosley.

Pacquiao, who has a defamation lawsuit pending against Mayweather and his team over the accusations, agreed to unlimited urine testing -- but with limits on how many blood tests he would take and how close to the fight he would agree to be tested.

Now, less than 48 hours after Mayweather's victory, Pacquiao seems to be in a compromising mood in order to make a fight for which official negotiations have not yet begun.

"I am willing to help the sport for the future of the sport. I do not want to see anyone cheat or cheat this sport. For that reason I am willing to consider taking blood [tests] as close as 14 days prior to the fight, as long as my opponent does the same, and it is not a lot of blood, just enough to test," Pacquiao is quoted as saying on his official website.

Mayweather has no issue undergoing the same kind of testing as his opponent.

During the previous negotiation, Pacquiao had insisted on a cut off of blood testing 30 days before the fight and eventually moved to 24 days when it came to light that he had taken a blood test during that time frame before his second-round knockout of Ricky Hatton in May 2009.

Pacquiao had agreed all along to take a blood test immediately after the fight.

"I do not want anyone having an unfair advantage where someone may get hurt," said Pacquiao, who is in the final days of his congressional campaign in the Philippines. "I am willing to do my part to help this sport out."

Pacquiao had said previously he did not want to have blood drawn too close to the fight because he feels like it weakens him.

"Mayweather is the furthest thing on our mind," Michael Koncz, Pacquiao's adviser, said in a statement to Pacquiao's website. "Our focus has been and continues to be Manny's desire to become congressman."

Following the election, Pacquiao and his family are expected to go on vacation and the fighter will discuss his next bout upon his return. "As Manny has stated many times, we are willing to fight anyone, anytime, anywhere in accordance with the athletic commission's rules and regulations in which ever state we fight in. We will not be bullied into or entertain any additional rules or regulations to be imposed by our opponent."

Top Rank's Bob Arum, Pacquiao's promoter is headed to the Philippines to support Pacquiao in the final days of his campaign. He told ESPN.com on Monday that during the trip he will not talk to Pacquiao about Mayweather, drug testing or any boxing business.

"As far as I am concerned, I am not even going to raise anything," Arum said. "We're not even going to talk about future plans until after election and that's the truth.

"I have no thoughts about the other stuff but I have an open mind to everything. Obviously, he's my fighter and I will do what he asks me to do, but there's a time for everything. And the time is not now."

Mayweather said after the fight Saturday night that he would fight Pacquiao under the same kind of Olympic-style testing used for the fight with Mosley.

"If he wants to fight it's not that hard to find me," Mayweather said. "We tried to fight before and it didn't work, and we moved on. Mosley did what I asked him to do and if every athlete in the sport would do that, we know we would have a clean sport. Everyone should take the test. I am willing to take the tests. If Manny takes the test we can make the fight happen. If he doesn't we don't have a fight."

Dan Rafael is the boxing writer for ESPN.com./QUOTE]

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/boxing/news/story?id=5159812

bahn
05-03-2010, 05:02 PM

Manny doesnt want his blood drawn within 24 hours of the fight

Southstander
05-03-2010, 06:25 PM
I got a good test for the "best pound for pound" fighter in boxing.

Lets see how what Floyd calls himself "best in sports" fair against will fighters.

Lets see how Money Mayweather fairs against Anderson Silva or Brock Lesnar.

I wanna see Floyd fight in MMA.

Do any of you guys agree? The guy is calling himself the best fighter in sports so why not fight vs "real" fighters.

No big gloves,no four corners.

I think Floyd would get his tail whipped in a MMA fight.

But lets see Floyd fight a real mans fight in the octagon.
http://tophatal1.files.wordpress.com/2009/04/anderson-silva-delivrs-a-crushing-knee-shot-to-the-head-of-rich-franklin.jpg
Silva v.
http://blog.mlive.com/boxing_impact/2008/06/1mayweather.jpg
Floyd

I wanna see it.

Brock would be scraping Mayweather off his boots.

BluenOrnge4Life
05-03-2010, 08:27 PM
If you put mayweather in an mma fight with someone his weight, as soon as someone took him down, the fight would be over. Now put that same guy against him in a boxing match and mayweather knocks him out.

GridironChamp
05-04-2010, 08:51 AM
Thats not what I meant.

My in ring strategy is beat the hell out of the guy im fighting.
In use my leg speed to avid hits then take the guy out on the mat.

Blocking is good just not if thats what your doing for the first 10 mins of the fight.

That strategy let Mayweather go 40-0 (His last fight with Mosely he was much
more aggressive so i left it off his record) so to say it's not a good strategy is
kind of hella stupid....

MNBroncs85
05-04-2010, 06:12 PM
If you put mayweather in an mma fight with someone his weight, as soon as someone took him down, the fight would be over. Now put that same guy against him in a boxing match and mayweather knocks him out.

Excellent Point.