PDA

View Full Version : World Cup 2010 Thread

Pages : [1] 2

Southstander
05-09-2010, 09:39 PM
I am not a soccer fan, but I know we have fans of it here so I wanted to get the ball rolling for the World Cup.

denfan07
05-09-2010, 10:22 PM
Mexico opens up the world cup vs. South Africa can't wait!!

Go Mexico!!!

but first and foremost God Bless the USA!!!!!!!

D_Broncs_913
05-09-2010, 10:47 PM
Mexico! Mexico! Mexico!

We've waited four years...we can wait 4 more weeks.

Who are you guys rooting for?

Spyder
05-10-2010, 12:45 AM
I'm not positive yet of who I'm going for, I'm thinking England.

I can't wait until the games start though!

TheQBGuru
05-10-2010, 01:26 AM
What the hell is with all the foreign support? Our teams pretty good you know.

Andyy_47
05-10-2010, 05:05 AM
Wooo, Soccer ;)

I suppose as a Scotsman I should really root AGAINST the English, but I like their team alot right now, Lampard, Rooney being favourites of mine.

I can't help but support certain players, not teams. I'm supporting:

Lionel Messi - Argentina
David Villa - Spain
Pato - Brazil
Wayne Rooney - England
Miroslav Klose - Germany
Maurice Edu - USA (if he gets in the squad...which he should, played great for Rangers this year)

samparnell
05-10-2010, 06:53 AM
Forza Italia!

Spyder
05-10-2010, 01:16 PM
What the hell is with all the foreign support? Our teams pretty good you know.

I pay a hell of a lot more attention to the EPL than I do any Soccer here in America. It's just not big enough in this country, the stations rarely, if ever, cover any games. You're almost out of your elements if you hope to get into the sport in America.

That doesn't mean I'm not cheering for the USA to make some noise, I certainly am, I just happen to like England because that's the country that really got me into the game.

It's really no different than the foreign support USA Basketball receives when the Olympics roll around.

milehighireland
05-17-2010, 05:01 PM
It's not too far off now...

Any predictions? My pick would be Spain, that team is so LOADED with talent it is unbelievable and Del Bosque has a great reputation as a manager to boot.

Dark horse pick goes to Germany, their team is very underrated and they always seem to perform come world cup time, regardless of squad strength.

Andyy_47
05-18-2010, 05:21 AM

Any predictions? My pick would be Spain, that team is so LOADED with talent it is unbelievable and Del Bosque has a great reputation as a manager to boot.

Dark horse pick goes to Germany, their team is very underrated and they always seem to perform come world cup time, regardless of squad strength.

I'm gonna say it, and I don't care how badly I get flamed.

Holland.

At club level, the players in that midfield have peaked at the right time. Robben is playing on an incredibly high level and him and Van Bommel are two huge reasons that Bayern made the CL final. Wesley Sneijder also has had a great season.

Up top I would stick Huntelaar as a target man to hold up play for Robben and Sneijder. I don't know, I think it might finally be their year.

I think Spain might choke, an injury to a striker could be disaster for them. I agree though, immensly talented team!

DevilSpawn
05-18-2010, 07:38 AM
España! :peace: :peace:

milehighireland
05-18-2010, 09:22 AM

Holland.

At club level, the players in that midfield have peaked at the right time. Robben is playing on an incredibly high level and him and Van Bommel are two huge reasons that Bayern made the CL final. Wesley Sneijder also has had a great season.

Up top I would stick Huntelaar as a target man to hold up play for Robben and Sneijder. I don't know, I think it might finally be their year.

I think Spain might choke, an injury to a striker could be disaster for them. I agree though, immensly talented team!

Van Persie has to be first choice up top, huntelaar can go with him but he hasnt really impressed since leaving dutch football.

Holland are class, i agree, theyre another dark horse. Only problem is a rather shaky defence and the lack of Van Der Sar and Van Nistelrooy through retirement and omission since those two are definitely game changers on their day.

Spain could, but Del Bosque is a quality manager. Also, Guiza provided good cover up front in the Euros when Villa went down and Pedro is another possible option

Seriously now, look at this for a team:

-------------Casillas--------------
Ramos-----Pique------Puyol-----Capdevila
Iniesta--------Xavi--------------Fabregas
--------------Silva----------------------
Torres-------------------------------Villa

Subs:

Reina
Albiol
Marchena
Senna
Alonso
Mata
Pedro

That is impressive, to say the least.

Andyy_47
05-18-2010, 05:52 PM
My Holland team would be:

Stekelenberg

Van Bronckhorst, Heitinga, Matiejsen, Ooijer

Capable, experienced backline and an extremely underrated keeper!

DM - Van Bommel and De Jong, both have over 40 caps, very capable at providing cover for a relatively old back line.

AM - Robben, Sneijder and Van Der Vaart. All hitting their peak right now. Two will play in the CL final, the other had a great season for Madrid, despite not being the coach's favourite player.

Up top, Huntelaar, a 1 in 2 strike rate for Holland right now, an accomplished international striker.

Van Persie is a good player but I think he's pretty overrated to be honest.

milehighireland
05-21-2010, 11:57 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idLG6jh23yE&feature=player_embedded

New Nike ad for the World Cup... This is actually brilliant, watch it.

Couple of brilliant cameo appearances in it but i wont spoil it by saying who

Booker T
05-22-2010, 04:16 PM
Wooo, Soccer ;)

I suppose as a Scotsman I should really root AGAINST the English, but I like their team alot right now, Lampard, Rooney being favourites of mine.

I can't help but support certain players, not teams. I'm supporting:

Lionel Messi - Argentina
David Villa - Spain
Pato - Brazil
Wayne Rooney - England
Miroslav Klose - Germany
Maurice Edu - USA (if he gets in the squad...which he should, played great for Rangers this year)

ROOT AGAINST! Us Celts need to stick together and ROOT AGAINST! LOL

milehighireland
05-23-2010, 04:34 AM
ROOT AGAINST! Us Celts need to stick together and ROOT AGAINST! LOL

THIS. Cp to you just for that.

Officially supporting any team england play against over the course of the World Cup lol.

Id feel bad for Rooney and Ferdinand if it goes wrong for england, but thats about it. On the other hand, i absolutely cannot stand Steven Gerrard or John Terry and would enjoy seeing them fail.

-Rod-
05-30-2010, 12:31 PM
I am Brazilian and I can't wait for the World Cup to be over so I can watch some football LOL

Seriously, what the hell is this??

http://a.imagehost.org/0131/copa1.jpg

http://a.imagehost.org/0992/copa2.jpg

Just bring me the NFL please

Broncoholic JS
06-11-2010, 07:49 AM
I wanted to make a thread for the WC. I would have added actual information about the WC, but it appears as though South has made one of his million threads about the WC. Oh well, I guess we will bump this for the WC.

I think the USA has a strong chance to shake the world up and win this thing.

Mexico looked good in early minutes vs. South Africa. This is a great opening match this morning.

USA vs. England one of the most anticipated matches in a looong time. It will be epic tomorrow.

Such pageantry and beauty in the worlds game,

GO USA! GO ENGLAND!

Vhailor
06-11-2010, 08:07 AM
España! :peace: :peace:

Indeed. I think Spain broke a very important barrier when they won the European Cup. Hopefully they go all the way this year!

Broncoholic JS
06-11-2010, 08:17 AM
South Africa with the first GOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

Andyy_47
06-11-2010, 12:50 PM
South Africa with the first GOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

What a goal it was.

France are awful.

Booker T
06-11-2010, 02:16 PM
Im I think Im goanna root for South Africa in this Cup it would be nice to see them go quite far and a good game against Mexico, but France vs Uraguay! WHAT A BORE! awful game I must say I expected better from both teams. Anybody going to predict the winner of the World Cup? I gonna go with Argentina

milehighireland
06-11-2010, 05:31 PM
What a goal it was.

France are awful.

They are, and uruguay are no great shakes either. Absolutely dire match.

Uruguay qualified in similar circumstances to France (i.e. greatly underacheived in the group and won their qualification playoff through cheating), so its not amazingly surprising that the two were evenly matched. If theyre not careful, south africa and mexico could slip through instead. Even as it is, id be surprised if one from south africa and mexico didnt make the round of 16

Im I think Im goanna root for South Africa in this Cup it would be nice to see them go quite far and a good game against Mexico, but France vs Uraguay! WHAT A BORE! awful game I must say I expected better from both teams. Anybody going to predict the winner of the World Cup? I gonna go with Argentina

Argentina have the talent but Maradona is a huge question mark as a manager, to say the least. Still going with my original prediction of Spain, but Brazil are always a possibility... If (and that's a big if) Maradona can get it together as a coach then argentina have a great chance too.

Anyways... as for tomorrow...

USA! USA! USA! :D

Side Note: Anybody else HATE those Vuvuzela horns the fans at every game seem to have? I do anyways...

Spyder
06-11-2010, 10:56 PM
Side Note: Anybody else HATE those Vuvuzela horns the fans at every game seem to have? I do anyways...

I actually love those, lol. I think it adds to the game and experience.

As for who I think is going to win... Ehh.. I think Spain takes it. They should anyway. Collectively I think they have the most pure talent in the world, though Brazil is pretty damn good too. Spain wins though.

Frenchy180
06-11-2010, 11:21 PM
I absolutely hate those horns... not sure if ive recovered from the headache I got during the france match today

ThatBroncosReppinDCboy
06-11-2010, 11:22 PM
Going 4 USA and Mexico. :) Man i swear every one at the mall was wearing green and red jerseys i almost thought it was christmas.

D_Broncs_913
06-11-2010, 11:41 PM
Mexico looked awesome in the first half but finished weak. Thank goodness both France and Uruguay tied also lol.

Bootleg
06-12-2010, 03:01 AM
I absolutely hate those horns... not sure if ive recovered from the headache I got during the france match today

I imagine that's what it sounds like being inside a bee's nest

RealBronco
06-12-2010, 03:33 AM
this thread is hilarious...

Spyder
06-12-2010, 04:43 AM
this thread is hilarious...

Why's that?

You gonna wave around the American flag and talk about how all sports originating outside of the United States are lame? You know, cause if that's the case, 90% of the world would disagree...........

BroncoSexyDaddy
06-12-2010, 07:30 AM
Go US bring home the Cup.

GridironChamp
06-12-2010, 07:52 AM
Gotta be pulling for the US n Germany!

Anyone but Portugal n that snotty little kid winning!

Kno-Sean
06-12-2010, 09:51 AM
I don't know about you guys but i'm wearing my Red White and Blue today. I am jacked for this game. Man i just love how all these other countries hate us. They hate us because they know the USA isn't huge on soccer, yet we are still a pretty dang good team.

Can you guys imagine if all of our athletes wanted to play soccer? Wow

Anyways, I am rooting for the US, but i think Argentina is going to bring home the World Cup this year.

BaileyIsGod
06-12-2010, 10:34 AM
Soccer, awesome. :yawn:

Oh and BTW the reason they have the world cup every 4 years is because that's how often they SCORE.

Eddiemac730
06-12-2010, 10:50 AM
:usa::usa::usa:

RealBronco
06-12-2010, 10:55 AM
Why's that?

You gonna wave around the American flag and talk about how all sports originating outside of the United States are lame? You know, cause if that's the case, 90% of the world would disagree...........

lol man... someone is bitter. also ZERO sports originated in the U.S. so that ends your little high and mighty soap box shpeal right there.

also i could fire back with USA>90% of the world but i won't lol

i just find it amusing because it sounds like a buch of proper Englishman milling about in here...

i said NOTHING about hating or disliking soccer bub.

in fact, baseball and basketball are more lame. and the sport i actually engage in is of Scottish descent. so... take that.

I don't know about you guys but i'm wearing my Red White and Blue today. I am jacked for this game. Man i just love how all these other countries hate us. They hate us because they know the USA isn't huge on soccer, yet we are still a pretty dang good team.

Can you guys imagine if all of our athletes wanted to play soccer? Wow

Anyways, I am rooting for the US, but i think Argentina is going to bring home the World Cup this year.

i know you're just talkin' about soccer, but i'm pretty sure soccer is not the reason the rest of the world hates us lol.

CoryWinget81
06-12-2010, 11:06 AM
:usa: :usa: :usa: :usa:

Andyy_47
06-12-2010, 11:22 AM
As previously stated, I like the English team, I just hate the English media. Today on the radio there was a clear request for people to "Send in your text messages and tell us why England WILL win the World Cup. Not can, not might, WILL win it all."

I was sick. USA. USA. USA. USA!

Maurice Edu loyal!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/media/images/47390000/jpg/_47390982_edu_pab466.jpg
http://www.soccerbyives.net/soccer_by_ives/images/2008/05/22/maurice_edu_isi_photos.jpg

CoryWinget81
06-12-2010, 11:35 AM
Welp, game over. Hope we can draw.

xX-Bronco-Xx
06-12-2010, 11:38 AM
Only 4 minutes in and a score?!?!?! :doh:

RealBronco
06-12-2010, 12:06 PM
Only 4 minutes in and a score?!?!?! :doh:

yeah, lame. i thought there wasn't supposed to be any scoring allowed until 85 minutes had ticked off....lol

also USA looks like garbage right now and i don't even know anything about soccer...but they don't appear to be taking advantage of opportunities on the goal.

Spyder
06-12-2010, 12:10 PM
lol man... someone is bitter. also ZERO sports originated in the U.S. so that ends your little high and mighty soap box shpeal right there.

also i could fire back with USA>90% of the world but i won't lol

i just find it amusing because it sounds like a buch of proper Englishman milling about in here...

i said NOTHING about hating or disliking soccer bub.

in fact, baseball and basketball are more lame. and the sport i actually engage in is of Scottish descent. so... take that.

actually, volleyball and basketball are completely of american origin. yeah, the dude who created basketball was actually canadian by nationality, he created the game while teaching in Massachusetts. baseball and football are considered separate from cricket or rugby, the sports which they basically evolved from. baseball may have been played in England before here, but the American version of football never was.

so ha.

thatkidhunt
06-12-2010, 12:16 PM
1-1 Thanks to Englands Keeeepaaah :D

milehighireland
06-12-2010, 12:20 PM
As previously stated, I like the English team, I just hate the English media. Today on the radio there was a clear request for people to "Send in your text messages and tell us why England WILL win the World Cup. Not can, not might, WILL win it all."

I was sick. USA. USA. USA. USA!

Hate it, the arrogance of the english media is unreal. Remember the sun headline at the time the groups were drawn?:

England
Algeria
Slovenia
Yanks

Same english media will be all too happy to make a scapegoat and start a nationwide hate campaign against said poor individual if they don't win this world cup.

edit: ROB GREEN, ENGLANDS #1!!!

IHSD
06-12-2010, 12:23 PM
http://foxtrotters.tripod.com/amflag7.gifhttp://foxtrotters.tripod.com/amflag7.gifhttp://foxtrotters.tripod.com/amflag7.gifhttp://foxtrotters.tripod.com/amflag7.gif

AMERICA MUDDA****KKASS!!! :usa:

RealBronco
06-12-2010, 12:25 PM
actually, volleyball and basketball are completely of american origin. yeah, the dude who created basketball was actually canadian by nationality, he created the game while teaching in Massachusetts. baseball and football are considered separate from cricket or rugby, the sports which they basically evolved from. baseball may have been played in England before here, but the American version of football never was.

so ha.

what's your deal man? we're talking origins here. Baseball came from Cricket or rounders, no doubt. American football obviously came from rugby. neither of these were created in the states.

also volleyball? lol.

anyway... your original response to me was completely way off and it was clear you had no idea what you were responding to. you don't know why i think this thread is hilarious. you assumed, because i'm American (even if you are too) that i think soccer is silly. but as i pointed out, baseball and basketball and i'll throw in volleyball now that you have, are much much more lame than soccer.

also if i disliked soccer, i wouldn't be watching it right now. i like sports in general to some degree. so before you assume anything about a person and make a statement about what you think that person's feelings of a topic are based of off four words, maybe do a bit more research first.

i actually jumped off the couch when we scored just now so... what's the big deal?

milehighireland
06-12-2010, 12:36 PM
Yess, Jamie Carragher brought on. If he plays today anything like the way hes played for liverpool all season, another goal is definitely in the works for the USA.

Spyder
06-12-2010, 12:37 PM
what's your deal man? we're talking origins here. Baseball came from Cricket or rounders, no doubt. American football obviously came from rugby. neither of these were created in the states.

also volleyball? lol.

anyway... your original response to me was completely way off and it was clear you had no idea what you were responding to. you don't know why i think this thread is hilarious. you assumed, because i'm American (even if you are too) that i think soccer is silly. but as i pointed out, baseball and basketball and i'll throw in volleyball now that you have, are much much more lame than soccer.

also if i disliked soccer, i wouldn't be watching it right now. i like sports in general to some degree. so before you assume anything about a person and make a statement about what you think that person's feelings of a topic are based of off four words, maybe do a bit more research first.

i actually jumped off the couch when we scored just now so... what's the big deal?

they may have not originated in terms of what they evolved from, but the modern game along with rules and everything were created while it was being errr "americanized" so that counts for something. you also didn't happen to say anything about basketball, how come? that sport is 100% american. and yeah, laugh at volleyball if you want, thats not the point, the point is you claimed ZERO sports originated here and that isn't completely true.

maybe next time you can make it a little clearer why you think its hilarious? you know, because a big majority of americans always have something critical to say about the sport, not all obviously, but a big portion of people do and you can't deny that.

besides, you're the one getting majorly defensive, on a message board no less, about an assumption i may have had. but hey, its okay for you to have your assumptions about us all acting or speaking like "proper Englishman" now, huh? i guess it isn't right if you have a interest in a sport where the bulk of its popularity is across seas and abroad.

milehighireland
06-12-2010, 12:56 PM
Carragher got absolutely lit there by altidore. Liability i tells ya, hes washed up now and has absolutely no pace. Keep trying to exploit him USA, and you will be rewarded.

RealBronco
06-12-2010, 01:02 PM
they may have not originated in terms of what they evolved from, but the modern game along with rules and everything were created while it was being errr "americanized" so that counts for something. you also didn't happen to say anything about basketball, how come? that sport is 100% american. and yeah, laugh at volleyball if you want, thats not the point, the point is you claimed ZERO sports originated here and that isn't completely true.

maybe next time you can make it a little clearer why you think its hilarious? you know, because a big majority of americans always have something critical to say about the sport, not all obviously, but a big portion of people do and you can't deny that.

besides, you're the one getting majorly defensive, on a message board no less, about an assumption i may have had. but hey, its okay for you to have your assumptions about us all acting or speaking like "proper Englishman" now, huh? i guess it isn't right if you have a interest in a sport where the bulk of its popularity is across seas and abroad.

oh good grief. let it go man. what's so bad about thinking the terminology is funny? we all know englishmen sound funny. also i happen to like speaking that way at times. that's why i find it funny. you need to chill out dude. i'm not being defensive at all.

also for a guy who is trying to maybe get more in to soccer, and ever think that maybe the reason we're not too into it here is that it's not readily available to watch? i would watch rugby all the time if American tv had it accessible enough. that's not the point though. you are automatically presuming i hate soccer and blah blah blah. and you're the only one that was bothered (for some reason) by my comment.

i also don't care enough about where basketball or volleyball or what have you originated because i'm not in to those sports. also when we're speaking in terms of origins, then yes we can say certain sports came from overseas. you can't use the "modern game" example because that modern game had to come from someplace.

i think this is supposed to be a fun thread and you are turning it into something other than. also, if you're a fan of soccer (and this is a generalization so don't take it personally) and you are treating potential fans of soccer in this manner, then it's pretty easy to see why Americans as a majority don't like soccer, because this is the kind of stereotype that we view hardcore soccer fans as: pompous, obnoxious and way too rude and add whatever similar words you want in there.

i for one would like to get back on topic here. and...maybe instead of attacking me, a potential new fan to the sport, maybe help me try to understand the game eh? :salute: and i don't mean...well they try to get the ball in the net... well everyone knows that, that's the basics of most field sports... what i mean is the positions, rules, etc...

i've already gathered, that a teammate kicks it to their goalie so the goalie can kick it out (because they can't get an offsides, like uh...whatever position the other guy might be).

i mean, is it similar to hockey where you have a couple of guys that are allowed to go all over the place and others who can't kick past certain parts of the field? keys to enjoying a sport lie in understanding the rules, i think.

Spyder
06-12-2010, 01:09 PM
oh good grief. let it go man. what's so bad about thinking the terminology is funny? we all know englishmen sound funny. also i happen to like speaking that way at times. that's why i find it funny. you need to chill out dude. i'm not being defensive at all.

also for a guy who is trying to maybe get more in to soccer, and ever think that maybe the reason we're not too into it here is that it's not readily available to watch? i would watch rugby all the time if American tv had it accessible enough. that's not the point though. you are automatically presuming i hate soccer and blah blah blah. and you're the only one that was bothered (for some reason) by my comment.

i also don't care enough about where basketball or volleyball or what have you originated because i'm not in to those sports. also when we're speaking in terms of origins, then yes we can say certain sports came from overseas. you can't use the "modern game" example because that modern game had to come from someplace.

i think this is supposed to be a fun thread and you are turning it into something other than. also, if you're a fan of soccer (and this is a generalization so don't take it personally) and you are treating potential fans of soccer in this manner, then it's pretty easy to see why Americans as a majority don't like soccer, because this is the kind of stereotype that we view hardcore soccer fans as: pompous, obnoxious and way too rude and add whatever similar words you want in there.

i for one would like to get back on topic here. and...maybe instead of attacking me, a potential new fan to the sport, maybe help me try to understand the game eh? :salute: and i don't mean...well they try to get the ball in the net... well everyone knows that, that's the basics of most field sports... what i mean is the positions, rules, etc...

i've already gathered, that a teammate kicks it to their goalie so the goalie can kick it out (because they can't get an offsides, like uh...whatever position the other guy might be).

i mean, is it similar to hockey where you have a couple of guys that are allowed to go all over the place and others who can't kick past certain parts of the field? keys to enjoying a sport lie in understanding the rules, i think.

ok i apologize with the generalization. the last few days i had been dealing with people who were trying to tear the sport apart left and right on other forums and whatnot, so i assumed by your original post that you were trying to do the same. i admit, i was wrong and i apologize for that.

in any case, if this game ends in a draw.. England blew it BIG time.

RealBronco
06-12-2010, 01:16 PM
ok i apologize with the generalization. the last few days i had been dealing with people who were trying to tear the sport apart left and right on other forums and whatnot, so i assumed by your original post that you were trying to do the same. i admit, i was wrong and i apologize for that.

in any case, if this game ends in a draw.. England blew it BIG time.

that would get irritating i'm sure. i've never had a problem with soccer. i just haven't been able to get myself to get into it. i'll tune in to stuff like this, "important" stuff at this level, but i can't get into the MLS here in the states. again, mostly because you hardly see matches on tv.

i foresee a draw coming. but who knows. England scored 5 minutes in so.

i'll tell you what, i like the lack of commercial breaks (in fact there are none, save for half time) and the fact that the clock runs and there are no b.s. time outs or anything. not even for an injury.

apology accepted, also. i suppose my original post was a bit ambiguous, but i was banking on someone asking me why i thought so and then was going to explain lol...

RealBronco
06-12-2010, 01:20 PM
Example: um........i'm assuming this is overtime. how does overtime work in soccer?

*EDIT* i think i figured it out lol. extra 4 minutes? hmmm.

Andyy_47
06-12-2010, 01:33 PM
http://i.imgur.com/0EFby.gif

Comedy goal-d.

milehighireland
06-12-2010, 01:40 PM
Example: um........i'm assuming this is overtime. how does overtime work in soccer?

*EDIT* i think i figured it out lol. extra 4 minutes? hmmm.

That's stoppage time... basically instead of bs timeouts and constant clock stoppages, the fourth official records each stoppage and adds the total amount of time play was stopped for at the end of the match. so in each game it varies, depending on stoppages and the discretion of the fourth official.

Andyy_47
06-12-2010, 01:43 PM
http://cdn.majorleaguesoccertalk.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/the-sun-world-cup-2010.jpg

:incomplete:

RealBronco
06-12-2010, 01:47 PM
That's stoppage time... basically instead of bs timeouts and constant clock stoppages, the fourth official records each stoppage and adds the total amount of time play was stopped for at the end of the match. so in each game it varies, depending on stoppages and the discretion of the fourth official.

ah i see. i think. that could get confusing lol. but thanks for the info!

milehighireland
06-13-2010, 04:03 AM
ah i see. i think. that could get confusing lol. but thanks for the info!

Oh yeah, as well as that, the equivalent of Overtime in soccer happens in knockout matches and is simply called extra time. An extra half an hour is played without sudden death rules and if scores are still level at the end, a penalty shootout is then played to decide a winner.

xX-Bronco-Xx
06-13-2010, 01:29 PM
Germany looked pretty good. Or more so Australia looked so bad.

RealBronco
06-13-2010, 01:52 PM

i only saw the second half, but Australia looked terrible.

milehighireland
06-13-2010, 02:32 PM

Was kind of a combination of the two... Germany have looked the most impressive side so far though. USA would want to win their group so as to avoid them as Germany just don't seem to do early exits from the world cup. They have only ever failed to get as far as the Quarters once, and that was when the nazi party were in power there!

GridironChamp
06-14-2010, 08:59 AM
So i've been trying to get into this whole soccer thing, n much to my surprise it's
not too bad to watch and i find myself wanting to watch these games...

Only problem is that when teams, like Japan, get up by 1 goal they go into this
major defensive mindset, and just with the nature of soccer and the amount of ppl
on the field it becomes impossible to score.. making the game boring.

CoryWinget81
06-14-2010, 09:23 AM
http://abcnews.go.com/International/Media/vuvuzela-banned-world-cup/story?id=10908539

PLEASE ban these things, I had to stop watching for a day to get the noise out of my head...:brick:

crap...nevermind
http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/Sport/Story/STIStory_540224.html

GridironChamp
06-14-2010, 10:23 AM
So I am newly fond of watching soccer and still trying to get into all of it..

So in your guys opinions, who are some of the best players to watch??

Out of the games I've seen so far, Eto'o has looked like one of the better players,
Messi (obviously) looked good, and Rooney in the 2nd half def put a scare in all
of US fans.

RealBronco
06-14-2010, 10:25 AM
http://abcnews.go.com/International/Media/vuvuzela-banned-world-cup/story?id=10908539

PLEASE ban these things, I had to stop watching for a day to get the noise out of my head...:brick:

crap...nevermind
http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/Sport/Story/STIStory_540224.html

damn...those things are annoying. it really does sound like a swarm of bees. i don't know what use they could possibly be. they can't really believe it distracts the players as it's too monotonous and constant. it's just really annoying to hear for 90 minutes straight.

my wife sat down yesterday and immediately said: "good grief those horns are annoying" to which i said: "i was JUST about to say the same thing"

Hoserman117
06-14-2010, 09:38 PM

Out of the games I've seen so far, Eto'o has looked like one of the better players,
Messi (obviously) looked good, and Rooney in the 2nd half def put a scare in all
of US fans.

I know you called him a little punk earlier, but Ronaldo is extremely fun to watch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=euMu1SKi-ak

I'm pulling for the US and Argentina though. US cause the US rox sox, and Argentina cause my dad is from Argentina and he's as much of a fan to them as I am with Denver.

Broncoholic JS
06-14-2010, 09:49 PM
Anyone know of any watch parties going on Friday morning? I have the day off from work now and would love to watch the match out with some fellow Sams Army members!

EvertonBroncos
06-15-2010, 06:23 AM
Massive upset just then, New Zealand equalized against Slovakia in the very last minute, finished 1-1

BroncosTX77
06-15-2010, 06:48 AM

of US fans.

Cristiano Ronaldo
Kaka
Lionel Messi
Fernando Torres
Miroslav Klose

Tim Howard

Top 5 are household names, all goal scorers and special to watch do their thing.

I put Tim Howard there because he is US best player and a top Goalkeeper in the world. US backline is pretty bad and Howard is forced to be spectacular and he makes it look easy. Oh and he has Tourettes so it is always fun seeing him go ballistic on his D-Line. He hides the physical aspect of his disease well by constantly moving, so you'd never know.

BroncosTX77
06-15-2010, 06:50 AM
Massive upset just then, New Zealand equalized against Slovakia in the very last minute, finished 1-1

bah i turned it off. Azurri need to send Kiwi's a bus full of Italian Beauties as a thank you.
;(

EvertonBroncos
06-15-2010, 06:55 AM
Cristiano Ronaldo
Kaka
Lionel Messi
Fernando Torres
Miroslav Klose

Tim Howard

Top 5 are household names, all goal scorers and special to watch do their thing.

I put Tim Howard there because he is US best player and a top Goalkeeper in the world. US backline is pretty bad and Howard is forced to be spectacular and he makes it look easy. Oh and he has Tourettes so it is always fun seeing him go ballistic on his D-Line. He hides the physical aspect of his disease well by constantly moving, so you'd never know.

I see Tim Howard play every week for Everton, one of the best goalkeepers in the Premier League, absolutely hilarious when the defence makes a mistake (as long as the opponent doesn't score from it) and TH runs out and screams at them all.

Miroslav Klose is a brilliant player, one of the best headers of the ball in the world, if not the best.

I've seen Torres play personally, sadly when he plays against Everton he always seems to score

BroncosTX77
06-15-2010, 06:57 AM

Ha just saw your name. You are very familiar with Timmy and Landon. Whatever yall do keep your mitts off Landon! We need him here in MLS! :P

I got tix to Man U vs Houston Dynamo next month. My first EPL team live :P

xX-Bronco-Xx
06-15-2010, 07:00 AM
That's the thing about the US I don't get. Why not show more soccer? Hell they barely even show the MLS around. Barring that league sort of sucks balls but I'd really love to see some Premiere League on here once in a while on free TV.

BroncosTX77
06-15-2010, 07:02 AM
I see Tim Howard play every week for Everton, one of the best goalkeepers in the Premier League, absolutely hilarious when the defence makes a mistake (as long as the opponent doesn't score from it) and TH runs out and screams at them all.

Miroslav Klose is a brilliant player, one of the best headers of the ball in the world, if not the best.

I've seen Torres play personally, sadly when he plays against Everton he always seems to score

I've been up close and Personal with Beckham, Blanco, and Donovan field is rather small here in Houston and stands close to the field. Wish more teams would come this way, especially when the greats make their tours before the season starts.

As for the World Cup, for me it is all about USA and Espana. I was born in Madrid, so always root for the home team no matter what :P Almost had a stroke when USA beat Spain in Confed's Cup from excitement at first then sadness :P

EvertonBroncos
06-15-2010, 07:08 AM
Ha just saw your name. You are very familiar with Timmy and Landon. Whatever yall do keep your mitts off Landon! We need him here in MLS! :P

I got tix to Man U vs Houston Dynamo next month. My first EPL team live :P

:P A lot of Evertonians (everton fans) were skeptical when we signed Donovan, but he was absolutely fantastic for us, I actually saw a few fans crying when he done a lap of honour after his last home game for us lol

I'd love to see him back at Everton but we're not the richest club in the world, can't see there being a way we could afford him sadly.

EvertonBroncos
06-15-2010, 07:13 AM
I've been up close and Personal with Beckham, Blanco, and Donovan field is rather small here in Houston and stands close to the field. Wish more teams would come this way, especially when the greats make their tours before the season starts.

As for the World Cup, for me it is all about USA and Espana. I was born in Madrid, so always root for the home team no matter what :P Almost had a stroke when USA beat Spain in Confed's Cup from excitement at first then sadness :P

lol, I remember supporting the USA during the Confed's, I'm actually supporting them now in the World Cup (Howard, Donovan and Dempsey are three of my favorite players), I was absolutely ecstatic when Dempsey equalised the other day :P

I actually met Landon at a fan event by Goodison Park, he done a signing session in the Everton shop, sadly photographs weren't allowed, but he signed a magazine for me, got a handshake off him, a very firm one at that lol

BroncosTX77
06-15-2010, 07:15 AM
:P A lot of Evertonians (everton fans) were skeptical when we signed Donovan, but he was absolutely fantastic for us, I actually saw a few fans crying when he done a lap of honour after his last home game for us lol

I'd love to see him back at Everton but we're not the richest club in the world, can't see there being a way we could afford him sadly.

That picture is just wrong, you know that right? :P

But if you must, go to the Graphics Gallery and the thread called Sigs, ask Charger$ to make ya a sig with Donovan in it, he would for a CP or 2. :D

EvertonBroncos
06-15-2010, 07:16 AM
That picture is just wrong, you know that right? :P

But if you must, go to the Graphics Gallery and the thread called Sigs, ask Charger$ to make ya a sig with Donovan in it, he would for a CP or 2. :D

Cheers dude, still getting to grips with the site so I must ask what a CP is? :P

I'll head on over in a second and ask him though :)

BroncosTX77
06-15-2010, 07:20 AM
lol, I remember supporting the USA during the Confed's, I'm actually supporting them now in the World Cup (Howard, Donovan and Dempsey are three of my favorite players), I was absolutely ecstatic when Dempsey equalised the other day :P

I actually met Landon at a fan event by Goodison Park, he done a signing session in the Everton shop, sadly photographs weren't allowed, but he signed a magazine for me, got a handshake off him, a very firm one at that lol

Ya my prized possession is my autographed Beckham photo in LA Galaxy uniform.

As for Dempsey, yall can have him. I can't stand him. He is the most fortuitous player on the US Squad. His talent is being in the right spot at the right time, that's about it, everything else makes you wanna bash your TV in.

I wouldn't be hurt if US replaced him next match with Holden or Torres.

:D

milehighireland
06-15-2010, 07:21 AM
Cristiano Ronaldo
Kaka
Lionel Messi
Fernando Torres
Miroslav Klose

Tim Howard

Ronaldo and Messi are a joy to watch, enough said.

Kaka's been decidedly average this year since his big money move to Real Madrid, but who knows, he might go off in this WC.

Torres is an absolutely world class striker when hes match fit. Problem with him is, he's quite injury prone

Klose has been poor for his club lately but when he pulls on the Germany shirt it's an entirely different story, he's a machine in that shirt. One of the top 5 scorers in world cup history, and the only one of those still playing

Howard is a very solid keeper yeah, there's a handful better though.

Few other players well worth watching out for:

Wayne Rooney (England)
Andres Iniesta (Spain)
David Villa (Spain)
Wesley Sneijder(Holland)
Arjen Robben (Holland)

bah i turned it off. Azurri need to send Kiwi's a bus full of Italian Beauties as a thank you.
;(

Happy for NZ tbh, soccer takes a definite backseat to rugby over there so it's good to see them starting well and picking up their first ever world cup point. Hope they do the Haka (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujnXeL5zC1M) against Italy, that would be really cool. It's really a rugby thing but their soccer team occasionally does it.

BroncosTX77
06-15-2010, 07:21 AM
Cheers dude, still getting to grips with the site so I must ask what a CP is? :P

I'll head on over in a second and ask him though :)

Try this thread out it explains it all for ya, better than I could.

http://forums.denverbroncos.com/showthread.php?t=62495

EvertonBroncos
06-15-2010, 07:22 AM
I was very impressed by Jose Torres in the warm up game vs Turkey, looks a neat little midfielder, Clint impressed me a lot for Fulham last year though, I know a lot of people think that he doesn't do as well for the US as he does for his club and that's a fair assessment to be fair

EvertonBroncos
06-15-2010, 07:22 AM
Try this thread out it explains it all for ya, better than I could.

http://forums.denverbroncos.com/showthread.php?t=62495

Thanks my man! :peace:

BroncosTX77
06-15-2010, 07:26 AM
Ronaldo and Messi are a joy to watch, enough said.

Kaka's been decidedly average this year since his big money move to Real Madrid, but who knows, he might go off in this WC.

Torres is an absolutely world class striker when hes match fit. Problem with him is, he's quite injury prone

Klose has been poor for his club lately but when he pulls on the Germany shirt it's an entirely different story, he's a machine in that shirt. One of the top 5 scorers in world cup history, and the only one of those still playing

Howard is a very solid keeper yeah, there's a handful better though.

Few other players well worth watching out for:

Wayne Rooney (England)
Andres Iniesta (Spain)
David Villa (Spain)
Wesley Sneijder(Holland)
Arjen Robben (Holland)

Happy for NZ tbh, soccer takes a definite backseat to rugby over there so it's good to see them starting well and picking up their first ever world cup point. Hope they do the Haka (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujnXeL5zC1M) against Italy, that would be really cool. It's really a rugby thing but their soccer team occasionally does it.

Not sure about Rooney. He may have been a monster this past season in EPL, but Jay DeMerit, who? ya Jay DeMerit kept him in check all game. Never been much of a Rooney fan, but if he can pull his head out his rear he can be fun.

My sleeper pick and one I always love to watch is Giovani Dos Santos.

I just don't wanna see Italy go through that's all :P

milehighireland
06-15-2010, 07:50 AM
Not sure about Rooney. He may have been a monster this past season in EPL, but Jay DeMerit, who? ya Jay DeMerit kept him in check all game. Never been much of a Rooney fan, but if he can pull his head out his rear he can be fun.

My sleeper pick and one I always love to watch is Giovani Dos Santos.

I just don't wanna see Italy go through that's all :P

Rooney is world class. He was kept in check against the US because he wasn't getting any service for almost the entire match. Midfield was useless so the main tactic for england then became lumping long balls forward to Emile Heskey for some reason. When he gets the service, he terrorises defences, as his past season for Man Utd can attest.

EvertonBroncos
06-15-2010, 07:57 AM
Wayne Rooney didn't look too good against the US because he was trying to compensate for the immobile Heskey, he was a good striker at Everton but sadly saw fit to leave for United, but he'd walk into any team in the world comfortably.

GridironChamp
06-15-2010, 09:07 AM
Ronaldo is soooo annoying to watch fall down, i mean play...

Also, anyone know why Ronadlinho isn't playing for Brazil this year?

milehighireland
06-15-2010, 10:47 AM
Ronaldo is soooo annoying to watch fall down, i mean play...

Also, anyone know why Ronadlinho isn't playing for Brazil this year?

because the Brazil coach, Dunga, doesn't like him and he didn't make the cut as a result... think it even goes back as far as when both of them were playing, apparently Ronaldinho made him look like a fool in some game or other and Dunga hasnt seen eye to eye with him since.

GridironChamp
06-15-2010, 12:31 PM
because the Brazil coach, Dunga, doesn't like him and he didn't make the cut as a result... think it even goes back as far as when both of them were playing, apparently Ronaldinho made him look like a fool in some game or other and Dunga hasnt seen eye to eye with him since.

Wow.. I hope Brazil loses just for that reason, i hope they continue to fail to
score like they are in this game so he (dunga) looks like an even bigger tool then.
(if that is in fact the reason)

milehighireland
06-15-2010, 12:58 PM
Wow.. I hope Brazil loses just for that reason, i hope they continue to fail to
score like they are in this game so he (dunga) looks like an even bigger tool then.
(if that is in fact the reason)

So they say anyways, id well believe it too, Ronaldinho has been out of favour there for a while.

North Korea much better than they appeared to be. Really well organised and they're playing like their lives depend on it (which is probably true when you think about it..)

xX-Bronco-Xx
06-15-2010, 01:07 PM
I didn't know you could watch the World Cup on ESPN.com!!!1

Arrrghhh!!!!!! Now I find out. :sad:

xX-Bronco-Xx
06-15-2010, 01:15 PM
Extremely impressive goal by North Korea!

Vhailor
06-15-2010, 01:19 PM
Extremely impressive goal by North Korea!

Definitely, Julio Cesar misjudged where Ji would place the shot.

bronx_2003
06-15-2010, 04:01 PM
My thoughts - First on the England game

Good goal but pretty poor in the first half, USA had more possession but not many chances for either team. Obviously a poor mistake by Green the keeper.

2nd half I thought we played much better and created many chances, Heskey and Wright-Philips missed good chances with poor efforts and Lennon played well but wasted some good positions after beating the left back. Crouch had 2 good opportunitys with headers but messed them up. Good run by USA player and good save onto post by Green.

So in summary, the USA have a decent team and could qualify. We could have played better but it wasn't a bad performance for our first game.

All in all the general feeling is that we can improve but should still qualify and win group but frustration that we were so wasteful and didn't get that winning goal. More frustration at giving such a soft goal away when we were never really threatened apart from the good shot/save onto post in 2nd half.

Thoughts in general -

Argentina and Germany played well.

Brazil looked ok but nothing special.

France, Italy, Portugal looked quite poor, Ivory Coast looked better then Portugal.

I don't really think the tournament starts until the KO games though, thats when you really have to start playing well.

Should be a good tournament.

:logo:

xX-Bronco-Xx
06-16-2010, 08:33 AM
This Spain vs Sweden game is so exciting!!! Both teams are getting huge chances to score but none have been able to capitalize since Swedens last score.

xX-Bronco-Xx
06-16-2010, 08:45 AM
Man Spain is full of big phony floppers...

Get lightly tapped on the shoulder = drop to the ground acting like you're in pain. :laugh:

This was one thing that got me away from soccer back then..

What is Torres' deal? He can't finish for the life of him this game.

BroncosTX77
06-16-2010, 08:57 AM

Get lightly tapped on the shoulder = drop to the ground acting like you're in pain. :laugh:

2 recent knee surgeries he is rusty.

Switzerland's D is amazing. Nothing you can take away from them. Spain could not finish.

Hoserman117
06-16-2010, 08:57 AM

Yeah really. I was kinda rooting for Spain at first, but I saw all the flopping and I wanted Switzerland to win :laugh:

DevilSpawn
06-16-2010, 09:08 AM
Torres' and Co. pissed me off today. I can't blame Iker, the ball just took a couple of fortunate bounces. Oh well, they'll just have to slaughter Chile and Honduras.

Vhailor
06-16-2010, 09:16 AM
Torres' and Co. pissed me off today. I can't blame Iker, the ball just took a couple of fortunate bounces. Oh well, they'll just have to slaughter Chile and Honduras.

Wasn't it a handball by Pique, though?

DevilSpawn
06-16-2010, 09:24 AM
Wasn't it a handball by Pique, though?
lol as I was reading this my wife was cursing about that point. I couldn't tell and I think the refs whistle would've prevented the goal.

Vhailor
06-16-2010, 09:33 AM
lol as I was reading this my wife was cursing about that point. I couldn't tell and I think the refs whistle would've prevented the goal.

It would've been a penalty, if anything. It looked clear to me.

DevilSpawn
06-16-2010, 09:50 AM
It would've been a penalty, if anything. It looked clear to me.
It definitely was. Still, Spain had plenty of chances to at least tie.

xX-Bronco-Xx
06-16-2010, 10:52 AM
2 recent knee surgeries he is rusty.

Switzerland's D is amazing. Nothing you can take away from them. Spain could not finish.

That explains it. I was caught off guard at how many times he had the chance to score then he'd shoot it a mile away from the goal almost every time.

Vhailor
06-16-2010, 11:05 AM
It definitely was. Still, Spain had plenty of chances to at least tie.

That was another frustrating aspect of the game. So many chances for La Fúria Roja, but nothing to show for it.

Broncoholic JS
06-16-2010, 12:34 PM
I love the vuvuzelda!! Am I the only one?

Vhailor
06-16-2010, 01:35 PM
I love the vuvuzelda!! Am I the only one?

I can't stand it. I prefer the ol' singing and clapping. :D

BroncosTX77
06-16-2010, 01:56 PM
I swear this happened I DVR the match so I went back...

Before Forlan attempted the PK, those darned Vuvezelas were buzzing like a pissed hornets nest, after the PK went in the net they ALL STOPPED! I swear not a single one was blowing. SILENCE is BLISS!

DevilSpawn
06-16-2010, 04:55 PM
Yeah really. I was kinda rooting for Spain at first, but I saw all the flopping and I wanted Switzerland to win :laugh:
Italy mastered it the last Cup. I don't like it myself. Be a man.

GridironChamp
06-16-2010, 05:29 PM
Italy mastered it the last Cup. I don't like it myself. Be a man.

Exactly why Christiano Ronaldo is my least favorite player... He is the the biggest
flopper around.

milehighireland
06-17-2010, 04:28 AM
Exactly why Christiano Ronaldo is my least favorite player... He is the the biggest
flopper around.

Ronaldo really was a lot worse... in his last couple of seasons at Man United he really cut it out, probably cause Sir Alex wouldn't tolerate it. However, he's regressed back into it a bit since going to Madrid since diving is rife in the spanish game..

There's a lot worse than him in the sport though, believe me. Didier drogba (although i really do rate him as a player and person) for the ivory coast is one, he's huge but has a real tendency to go to ground after taking any contact. He really shouldn't though cause he easily has the strength to break tackles.

Steven Gerrard for England is also terrible, he's won his club a ton of games after diving all over the place.

Vhailor
06-17-2010, 05:56 AM
I swear this happened I DVR the match so I went back...

Before Forlan attempted the PK, those darned Vuvezelas were buzzing like a pissed hornets nest, after the PK went in the net they ALL STOPPED! I swear not a single one was blowing. SILENCE is BLISS!

I noticed that too. It was awesome. It was the sound of RSA being knocked out of their own WC - dead silence.

BroncosTX77
06-17-2010, 06:34 AM
Well Argentina is through. +3, 6 pts and Greece left to play, Argentina could play 10 men plus no goalie and still beat Greece~

Hoserman117
06-17-2010, 11:36 AM
Good game Argentina :D Good to see Messi is willing to spread the ball around and give other players chances to score. Should give them opportunities to go far in this cup.

Hoserman117
06-17-2010, 11:37 AM
http://espn.go.com/espn3/player?id=6217&addata=worldcup2010

There's the link to watch the Mexico - France game live on ESPN.com

Should be a great game :D

milehighireland
06-17-2010, 12:52 PM
ok, the refereeing in the france/mexico game is a joke. could he be any more biased towards the french? mexico player breathes near a frenchman and it's a free and a booking. meanwhile the french are getting away with murder....

Edit: Chicarito you legend!!

Hoserman117
06-18-2010, 07:11 AM
Lets go USA! Kick some Slovenian butt

Hoserman117
06-18-2010, 07:14 AM
Wow come on guys...

Hoserman117
06-18-2010, 07:44 AM
Faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaail :(

Spyder
06-18-2010, 07:45 AM
Ugh.. USA embarrassing themselves right now.

Spyder
06-18-2010, 08:06 AM
Landon Donovan there you go!

xX-Bronco-Xx
06-18-2010, 08:43 AM
Wth refs ***h ***fhfhehfgwqwgweagterwag

wth!!!!?!?!?!??!?!!?!?!??!!??!

Wth/!!?!?!?!?!?!

xX-Bronco-Xx
06-18-2010, 08:43 AM
What the hell?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Spyder
06-18-2010, 08:46 AM
What the hell?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

I know man ***! Michael Bradley was being held.

my god, these refs are AWFUL.

xX-Bronco-Xx
06-18-2010, 08:48 AM

That guy was literally bear hugging him and the ref calls a phantom offsides call...

You'd think the organization would hire refs that can actually referee...

milehighireland
06-18-2010, 08:49 AM

referees today have been terrible. Germany's match earlier was nothing short of a joke. and Edu's goal CLEARLY should have stood

milehighireland
06-18-2010, 08:56 AM
This referee robbed the USA of all 3 points. Simple as.
Not only was edu's goal legit, there were at least 2 American players being fouled and it should have been a penalty, never mind a disallowed goal.

Fear not though, USA, this draw was probably enough. If England win this evening and avoid defeat against slovenia, you'll just need to beat the weakest team in the group next week to qualify as runners up. Funnily enough, because Germany lost, they could easily finish runners up in their group, and as a result, the US would get an easier draw against (probably) Ghana if they qualified as runners up while England would be up against the Germans

Broncoholic JS
06-18-2010, 08:58 AM
Once again we have to play against the refs too! That was utter bs and everyone even if you are Slovenian can recognize that. I can't believe how blatant the calls were. I watched the game thousands of miles away and still saw it.

GO USA!!

Broncoholic JS
06-18-2010, 08:59 AM
I feel cheated as a fan/player of soccer after that match.

Peerless
06-18-2010, 09:00 AM
Robbed....

milehighireland
06-18-2010, 09:11 AM
irish post match analysis absolutely SLAMMING the referee in that match now, and rightly so.

Hoserman117
06-18-2010, 09:50 AM
That was complete... and utter... bull ****

Vhailor
06-18-2010, 10:34 AM
Was at work. Didn't watch it. Will check out replays when I get home.

Red-Falcon
06-18-2010, 10:49 AM
Robbed....

Sorry, Peerless, but that was an offside! I got nothing against US team, but in 91 % of the case, refs will call that as offside, and this is one of those cases!

That's why I hate soccer, and don't watch it no more, but was interested to see the play, and I remember seeing dozens of plays like this one in the past!

It may not be fair, but it happens all the time.

// / yardo
06-18-2010, 11:01 AM
Sorry, Peerless, but that was an offside! I got nothing against US team, but in 91 % of the case, refs will call that as offside, and this is one of those cases!

That's why I hate soccer, and don't watch it no more, but was interested to see the play, and I remember seeing dozens of plays like this one in the past!

It may not be fair, but it happens all the time.

It wasn't an offside. The official call was a penalty on Maurice Edu. WHAT the penalty was, who know. Phantom call.

Red-Falcon
06-18-2010, 11:05 AM
It wasn't an offside. The official call was a penalty on Maurice Edu. WHAT the penalty was, who know. Phantom call.

Well, to me it looked like an offside!
http://g.sports.yahoo.com/soccer/world-cup/blog/dirty-tackle/post/Referee-costs-U-S-win-can-t-stifle-massive-com?urn=sow,249575

Here's the story on Yahoo.
It looks like no 4, Bradley, the bald guy is on the same line with the defender in white. And I think that's where the side referee made the call.

// / yardo
06-18-2010, 11:14 AM
http://g.sports.yahoo.com/soccer/world-cup/blog/dirty-tackle/post/Referee-costs-U-S-win-can-t-stifle-massive-com?urn=sow,249575

It looks like no 4, Bradley, the bald guy is on the same line with the defender in white. And I think that's where the side referee made the call.

Los Angeles Galaxy star Donovan said: "I'm assuming it was a foul somewhere, it couldn't have been offside. We asked many times who the foul was by but he wouldn't or couldn't explain it. I don't know what to think of the call, I didn't see a foul. To be honest I'm not sure how much English he speaks but when we asked in a non-confrontational manner why he had given the foul, he just ignored us."

Red-Falcon
06-18-2010, 11:16 AM
Los Angeles Galaxy star Donovan said: "I'm assuming it was a foul somewhere, it couldn't have been offside. We asked many times who the foul was by but he wouldn't or couldn't explain it. I don't know what to think of the call, I didn't see a foul. To be honest I'm not sure how much English he speaks but when we asked in a non-confrontational manner why he had given the foul, he just ignored us."

IF what Donovan said is true, than someone's trying to push the US team out of the competition. Maybe it's politically motivated... It's always is when you're talking about the big names. It's just my opinion.

Broncoholic JS
06-18-2010, 12:50 PM
IF what Donovan said is true, than someone's trying to push the US team out of the competition. Maybe it's politically motivated... It's always is when you're talking about the big names. It's just my opinion.

It wasn't just that one call that could have cost the US the match today. It was a number of different calls. It seemed as though we were playing against 14 men today, not 11. I call conspiracy for sure. You could tell in the reaction of Alexi Lalas in post-match commentary that he saw it the same way too. It also isn't just us noticing it. People who have played professionally and in this competition did and he was visibly shaken over it too.

I hope that referee never steps foot on a FIFA World Cup pitch again. He does not deserve it the way he treated not only us but Slovenia today. With the missed calls you hurt not only the team against it, but the one playing them too.

GO USA!

BroncosTX77
06-18-2010, 01:31 PM

side referee did not make the call, his flag was down through the whole scenario, so try again. The center ref made the call.

1..2..3..Broncos
06-18-2010, 01:42 PM
im one happy Scot right now, nothing better than england failing to beat the worse team in their group and are probably going to get put out next week by slovenia. I just need to hope usa beat algeria next week. :laugh:

BroncosTX77
06-18-2010, 03:42 PM
Also on the offsides "theory"...FIFA states on their website: http://www.fifa.com/flash/lotg/football/en/flash/start.html

Once it has been established that a player is in an offside position, the second condition is evaluated in order to decide whether the player is involved in active play by

- interfering with play; or
- interfering with an opponent; or
- gaining an advantage by being in that position.

What does interfering with active play mean?

The International Football Association Board defines interfering with play as
playing or touching the ball when it has been passed or touched by a team-mate.

In other words he was not involved with the play and did not touch the ball so he was not offsides, that is why the side judge never raised his flag.

The center ref choked on his whistle and made up a phantom call to make up an excuse for his gaffe. FIFA doesn't require their refs too talk so noone will ever know what call he made on the pitch.

milehighireland
06-18-2010, 04:58 PM
Also on the offsides "theory"...FIFA states on their website: http://www.fifa.com/flash/lotg/football/en/flash/start.html

Once it has been established that a player is in an offside position, the second condition is evaluated in order to decide whether the player is involved in active play by

- interfering with play; or
- interfering with an opponent; or
- gaining an advantage by being in that position.

What does interfering with active play mean?

The International Football Association Board defines interfering with play as
playing or touching the ball when it has been passed or touched by a team-mate.

In other words he was not involved with the play and did not touch the ball so he was not offsides, that is why the side judge never raised his flag.

The center ref choked on his whistle and made up a phantom call to make up an excuse for his gaffe. FIFA doesn't require their refs too talk so noone will ever know what call he made on the pitch.

if he was blocking the goalie's line of sight, it counts as interfering with an opponent or gaining an unfair advantage. but that wasn't the case anyways.

The goal wasnt disallowed for offside, Edu was clearly onside. The ref (apparently) disallowed it for a foul on a slovakian player, despite the fact that 4 american players were being fouled by slovakians

That's the way officiating goes in this sport though, and FIFA are not very willing to change anything at all about it. FIFA is a joke of an organisation, they're as crooked as the NBA, if not worse.

either way, its all fine for ye, thanks to those lovely englishmen! beat algeria and you're through, pretty simple.

BroncosTX77
06-18-2010, 05:00 PM
The goal wasnt disallowed for offside, Edu was clearly onside. The ref (apparently) disallowed it for a foul on a slovakian player, despite the fact that 4 american players were being fouled by slovakians

That's the way officiating goes in this sport though, and FIFA are not very willing to change anything at all about it. FIFA is a joke of an organisation, they're as crooked as the NBA, if not worse.

i know it wasnt offsides other ppl in this thread keep claiming it was~

xX-Bronco-Xx
06-18-2010, 08:40 PM
http://g.sports.yahoo.com/soccer/world-cup/news/source-fifa-may-sit-slovenia-u-s-referee--fbintl_ro-referee061810.html

Good. :coffee:

This guy is an idiot and he only used the off sides call to cover his ass.

But this article brings an interesting point to soccer. Why don't they have a replay system? It's something that could change the facet of the game so that games can be officiated way better than it is now especially when there are a lot of corrupt referees.

milehighireland
06-19-2010, 05:29 AM
http://g.sports.yahoo.com/soccer/world-cup/news/source-fifa-may-sit-slovenia-u-s-referee--fbintl_ro-referee061810.html

Good. :coffee:

This guy is an idiot and he only used the off sides call to cover his ass.

But this article brings an interesting point to soccer. Why don't they have a replay system? It's something that could change the facet of the game so that games can be officiated way better than it is now especially when there are a lot of corrupt referees.

They dont have a replay system because FIFA categorically refuse to implement one. They're notoriously corrupt so a replay system could lessen their influence on the game.

An example of this is the qualification playoff between Ireland and France. The french won through an EXTREMELY contentious goal, yet it was allowed, and FIFA, despite acknowledging that the game had been very unfairly decided, allowed the result to stand and dismissed Ireland's claims, with FIFA president Sepp Blatter making a mockery of the Irish case in a press conference.

Basically, they didn't want a world cup without one of the biggest names, France, so they let them slip through. World cup could have suffered for it now though, because France are dreadful.

Another example was when they seeded the draw for the same playoff qualification ties... the high ranked teams were seeded, (despite the fact that if they were so great they should have qualified automaticallly) thus screwing over some of the smaller names who had made heroic efforts to claim a playoff place.

-Rod-
06-19-2010, 06:32 AM
But this article brings an interesting point to soccer. Why don't they have a replay system?

Many soccer fans, at least here in Brazil, are against a replay system because it breaks the flow of the game, producing several interruptions. I guess we welcome corruption here as long as it flows nicely.

BroncosTX77
06-19-2010, 10:03 AM
Many soccer fans, at least here in Brazil, are against a replay system because it breaks the flow of the game, producing several interruptions. I guess we welcome corruption here as long as it flows nicely.

I am secretly rooting for Brazil to win it all so I can win the pool and get $300 :D That's like a season full of beer in my mini fridge~

Hoserman117
06-20-2010, 08:11 AM
Jeez Italy is flopping all over the place. Makes you want them to lose. And lol @ the French.

Spyder
06-20-2010, 08:58 AM
That's one of the biggest shockers I've ever seen watching this sport.

New Zealand drawing equal with Italy.. damn, props to the Kiwis.

xX-Bronco-Xx
06-20-2010, 09:48 AM
Isn't New Zealand absolute trash at soccer? Almost like being the Detroit Lions of international soccer? :laugh:

BroncosTX77
06-20-2010, 09:54 AM
I'd be ashamed if I was Italian supporter~

The Azurri flopped like fish out of water until they got a PK then miraculously like being blessed by the Vatican, they stayed on their feet rest of the game~

Spyder
06-20-2010, 10:20 AM
Isn't New Zealand absolute trash at soccer? Almost like being the Detroit Lions of international soccer? :laugh:

It's worse than that, a lot worse.
NZ doesn't even have an official soccer league and those who play have to go into Australia to do so. This would be like a college football team drawing equal at say 21-21 with the Saints or Colts.

It's insanely bizarre to think of this happening.

*Edit: That might even be a little nice lol. Try Canadian players coming to America and finishing tied with an upper echelon NFL team.
It's that bad.

milehighireland
06-20-2010, 01:19 PM
NZ doesn't even have an official soccer league and those who play have to go into Australia to do so. This would be like a college football team drawing equal at say 21-21 with the Saints or Colts.

*Edit: That might even be a little nice lol. Try Canadian players coming to America and finishing tied with an upper echelon NFL team.
It's that bad.

It's true. they just dont really care about soccer in New Zealand, the sport comes a far distant second to rugby over there.

Brazil looking good, although they really have taken their foot off the gas now though and kaka stupidly got sent off.

France in an absolute shambles meanwhile, with one of their strikers, anelka, telling the french manager to go and (expletive) himself at halftime in the mexico game and getting sent home. mass player revolts in the french camp as a result, players are in general revolt, demanding anelka's reinstatement, refusing to train and fighting with coaches.

Hoserman117
06-20-2010, 01:53 PM

It's that bad.

More like if the left over players of NFL Europe tied our pro bowl squad 21-21.

Andyy_47
06-20-2010, 03:01 PM
Well USA I see you got cheated out of a win. Welcome to the club. Like Scotland against Italy in 2007 and Ireland merely months ago, we've all been there. At least it's in a secondary sport in your parts!

USA have been awesome, keenly supporting them to go all the way, getting my shirt with Edu on the back next Thursday and I'll wear it proudly.

Brazil looked very good, but the defending for Drogba's goal was criminal.

Mile_High_Kiwi
06-20-2010, 07:00 PM

This is our biggest football, er, Soccer, result ever!

Only last week did we collect our first WC point in just our 2nd WC appearance (After Mexico '82), and to follow it up with a draw against the World Champions?

Football is growing in NZ. Its very popular at the youth level but once players get older we have not had the systems in place to take the game further.

We now have a professional team, the Wellington Phoenix, and they play in the Australian A-League, and since their inception 3 years ago football has gone from strength and strength.

We are technically inferior to most of the teams at this tournament but we have a never say die attitude and play to our strengths. Giant forwards who cause nightmares for defenders in the air and a dogged defence with a real mongrel about them.

While I think a result against Paraguay is a step to far for this team you never know in this sport. All it takes is one moment and we could make history.

I'm proud to be a kiwi today :salute:

DevilSpawn
06-20-2010, 07:41 PM
When New Zealand scored early, I thought Italy would put 3 on them. This is beyond shocking. This is like 52 plumbers from your local town beating the 2008 Steelers 34-0. In Pittsburgh.

Spyder
06-21-2010, 06:20 AM
Portugal just raped North Korea 7-0.

Damn!

milehighireland
06-21-2010, 11:44 AM
Portugal just raped North Korea 7-0.

Damn!

that'll be the north korean team executed when they get home so..

Spyder
06-21-2010, 12:30 PM
that'll be the north korean team executed when they get home so..

I don't know if I should laugh at that or not.....but I was thinking the same thing while the game was going on lmao.. I was like ooh man, these dudes are in some major trouble..

xX-Bronco-Xx
06-21-2010, 12:53 PM
I don't know if I should laugh at that or not.....but I was thinking the same thing while the game was going on lmao.. I was like ooh man, these dudes are in some major trouble..

Rescue mission.

Destination.... North Korea.

What is funny about the North Korean team is that they brought in hired "supporters" to the games.

milehighireland
06-21-2010, 01:02 PM

it does cross your mind in fairness... you never know what they'd do in a country like that. apparently 4 of the team have defected too!

Rescue mission.

Destination.... North Korea.

What is funny about the North Korean team is that they brought in hired "supporters" to the games.

yeah, cause north koreans can't leave the country without express permission of their government. its like a giant horrible prison

WhoDeyBengals
06-21-2010, 07:20 PM
http://posterous.com/getfile/files.posterous.com/temp-2010-06-16/bdfkCwkyICmJyaFkkygvwJhpwtvHtiDyzsqlJJhBoAzuzentyi ylbbrcxHfg/vuvu1_copy.jpg.scaled1000.jpg

Spyder
06-21-2010, 08:36 PM
it does cross your mind in fairness... you never know what they'd do in a country like that. apparently 4 of the team have defected too!

Yea, I know what you mean.

I was thinking if they had lost oh say.. 2-0 or something it wouldn't have been that big of a deal since Portugal was supposed to win anyway, but 7-0? My mom's side is East Asian and are huge on that whole -honor- thing, I hear about it all the time..

I'm sure that little dictator dude in NK felt pretty shameful after that performance. I'd honestly be a little afraid if I was one of them players, lol...

Hoserman117
06-23-2010, 07:53 AM
Wow refs.... Again? Seriously? This is stupid....

CoryWinget81
06-23-2010, 08:51 AM
:usa: :usa: :usa: :usa:

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Spyder
06-23-2010, 08:54 AM
What a freakin game!!

:usa:

Peerless
06-23-2010, 08:54 AM
That was a great soccer game.

Ryan_Nys
06-23-2010, 09:00 AM
You could just feel something special was building up. We weren't mean to go down like that. Can only be described by one word, wow.

USA!!! USA!!! USA!!!

CTM
06-23-2010, 09:03 AM
In all seriousness, we should have won 3-0.

But HELL YEAH!!!!

That was a great game.

Eddiemac730
06-23-2010, 09:19 AM
I had to listen to the game on ESPN 1600...

Awesome!

DenWu
06-23-2010, 09:30 AM
Way to go USA! The World Cup has been awesome, and USA has been the best team to watch in this cup so far. I hope they can keep this up. Get to the Quarterfinals!!!!!

CHARGER$
06-23-2010, 09:31 AM
Well Im sick as heck and was looking forward to laying in bed and watching it but I overslept. :sad:

Anyways go USA!

Skywalker
06-23-2010, 09:35 AM
:usa: :usa: :usa:

:shake: :rockon:

EvertonBroncos
06-23-2010, 10:17 AM
See other thread for my emotions, I'm still almost shaking with joy!

LANDON LANDON LANDON LANDON DOOONNNOVVANN!!!!!

Hoserman117
06-23-2010, 11:02 AM
That was epic!!!! Watched the game today with my girlfriend and it was awesome :D What a great game, and way to keep fighting back!!

GridironChamp
06-23-2010, 01:04 PM
In all seriousness, we should have won 3-0.

But HELL YEAH!!!!

That was a great game.

Yeah, while the game was great and I'm extremely happy...

We really need to quit missing those chances (and hopefully quit getting screwed
by the refs) because we won't make it much farther if we continue to miss so many
open looks. We aren't Argentina, Brazil, Germany, The Dutch, ect... that create
looks for ourselves all the time with an attack first mentality. We have to execute
when we get the looks.

milehighireland
06-23-2010, 01:22 PM
Germany win, theyre up against England next. Meanwhile, the USA will play Ghana. Serbia should have drawn against Australia and qualified but got absolutely screwed in a similar fashion to the USA a few days ago.

BroncosTX77
06-23-2010, 05:44 PM
USA just cannot finish. I really wanna see Holden for Dempsey, Feilhaber start, and Buddle start.

The Ghana game will be a classic especially since Ghana ousted USA last World Cup in final game in group stage. REVENGE!

Sad thing for USA though is Ghana will probably be only African team in knockout stage so USA will have to compete against Ghana, crowds, and FIFA wanting Ghana to go through.

milehighireland
06-23-2010, 06:12 PM
USA just cannot finish. I really wanna see Holden for Dempsey, Feilhaber start, and Buddle start.

The Ghana game will be a classic especially since Ghana ousted USA last World Cup in final game in group stage. REVENGE!

Sad thing for USA though is Ghana will probably be only African team in knockout stage so USA will have to compete against Ghana, crowds, and FIFA wanting Ghana to go through.

That's the one to be worried about. FIFA want an African team to perform this WC and will want them to go through. You could even see this today, with the Serbians getting completely screwed out of a place in the last 16 because FIFA wanted the only African team with a chance of qualifying to do so.

chazoe60
06-23-2010, 06:50 PM
Soccer was invented so English women would have something to do while the men cooked. :laugh:

HurricaneDovs
06-23-2010, 08:08 PM
I walked out of my house to go to work literally 10 seconds before the US scored that goal.

I was excited and bummed all at the same time.

Bring on Ghana! :usa:

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
06-23-2010, 08:12 PM
Soccer was invented so English women would have something to do while the men cooked. :laugh:

That....is beautiful! :D

I fully intend to plagiarize and overuse that statement! :salute:

chazoe60
06-23-2010, 09:17 PM
That....is beautiful! :D

I fully intend to plagiarize and overuse that statement! :salute:

I wish I could take credit for it, but I heard it from a friend. It's perfect though.

BroncosTX77
06-24-2010, 09:11 AM
USA has favorable draw thru Semifinal.

Bottom of the bracket will have all the heavy hitters.

If it stands way it is now Netherlands, Brazil, Spain.

WOW

BaileyIsGod
06-24-2010, 10:59 AM
I'd like to take back what I said earlier. Yup, soccer's awesome.

Hoserman117
06-24-2010, 03:45 PM
I'd like to take back what I said earlier. Yup, soccer's awesome.

That's right it is!

D_Broncs_913
06-24-2010, 08:18 PM
Mexico passed...woohoo!!

To bad they have to dance with the ugliest partner....:(

Ryan_Nys
06-25-2010, 03:47 PM
Who does everyone have getting to the Semis? I like the USA, Netherlands, Argentina, and Spain.

DevilSpawn
06-25-2010, 05:25 PM
Damn we have Portugal next. :(

But who cares, we escaped after our first day collapse! :peace:

The dream match is Spain vs. Brasil in many circles.

Spyder
06-26-2010, 12:21 PM
USA was outplayed in every aspect of the game in that first half.
Ghana has all the energy right now and their speed is deadly, you can see why so many people always comment about that.

We've looked stale and uninspired. Oh well, we've made our name by coming back in the second half.
Here's to another nail biting finish...

xX-Bronco-Xx
06-26-2010, 01:05 PM
I'm so depressed that my team South Korea got eliminated. :(

We played the ball offensively way better than them but our defense and lack of finishing lost us the game.

Well I'm officially now only rooting for the U.S. right now and that goal by Donovan was great.

xX-Bronco-Xx
06-26-2010, 01:50 PM
Ghana.... Pathetic...

Spyder
06-26-2010, 01:58 PM
How the hell do you go lose to Ghana once again?!

My goodness, the USA had the path laid for them, you couldn't have asked for a more favourable match up and you go lose again.

Sigh. Yet another pathetic ending.

xX-Bronco-Xx
06-26-2010, 02:02 PM
Now who do I root for. :sad:

samparnell
06-26-2010, 02:03 PM
How the hell do you go lose to Ghana once again?!

My goodness, the USA had the path laid for them, you couldn't have asked for a more favourable match up and you go lose again.

Sigh. Yet another pathetic ending.

... why so many thought the Ghana match was a gimme.

Ghana has a very good side.

This is a classic example of underestimating opponents.

Boo hoo!

Spyder
06-26-2010, 02:05 PM
... why so many thought the Ghana match was a gimme.

Ghana has a very good side.

This is a classic example of underestimating opponents.

Boo hoo!

No one underestimated Ghana, it was the fact that their offensive hadn't exactly been anything special. You allow them 2 goals, with one coming within the first 5 minutes (what else is new, right?). You can't start the first half the way America does every single time and expect miraculous come backs.

chazoe60
06-26-2010, 02:06 PM
Meh, who cares? It's soccer. The flopping and officiating make the NBA look legit.

Spyder
06-26-2010, 03:13 PM
Now who do I root for. :sad:

I've adopted Portugal.. lol.

broncsfan21
06-26-2010, 03:50 PM
Meh, who cares? It's soccer. The flopping and officiating make the NBA look legit.

The flopping is borderline disgraceful.

Hoserman117
06-26-2010, 04:22 PM

That's like saying football sucks because of all the stoppng and that it's just a bunch of sweaty guys trying to grab eachother.

And today was very depressing. We had a great chance to make it to the semi-finals and we blew it. Oh well... There's always next year. Oh wait... No there isn't :sad:

At least I have a reason to root for Argentina since my dad is from there.

broncsfan21
06-26-2010, 04:55 PM
That's like saying football sucks because of all the stoppng and that it's just a bunch of sweaty guys trying to grab eachother.

And today was very depressing. We had a great chance to make it to the semi-finals and we blew it. Oh well... There's always next year. Oh wait... No there isn't :sad:

At least I have a reason to root for Argentina since my dad is from there.

I suppose its not the flopping itself that bugs me, its the fact the the player who flops has an expression on his face like he just had his leg blown off, then once the ref awards the free kick/ yellow card, the players face returns to normal, and he stands up and resumes playing.

Today was a prime example of it though, that player in minute 115 or so, Inkoon? anyways he bicycle kicked the ball out of his zone, then after he hit the ground he kinda got back up, then fell back down and looked like he was in tremendous pain. The game is stopped, he is carried to the side on a stretcher, and then when he is subbed out he gets up, walks very slowly across the pitch, and then high-fives all his teammates once he gets to his sideline.

Despicable

milehighireland
06-26-2010, 06:56 PM
I've adopted Portugal.. lol.

Loving the Sig... glad to say i had the pleasure of watching that lad play for United... truly was a joy to watch!!

Shame about the USA... but, not being nasty, you were never gonna win it. Look at it this way, you will have done as well as one from Germany or England, Spain or Portugal and Mexico or Argentina... and better than France or Italy... think of it like that!

ebsoria
06-26-2010, 10:07 PM
So, does this mean USA can go back to not paying attention to soccer for 4 years?

chazoe60
06-26-2010, 10:11 PM
So, does this mean USA can go back to not paying attention to soccer for 4 years?

God, I hope so.

ebsoria
06-26-2010, 10:22 PM
God, I hope so.

But... I say...

Keep the vuvuzelas!!!!!!!!

kishzilla
06-26-2010, 10:37 PM
But... I say...

Keep the vuvuzelas!!!!!!!!

God those got aggravating. Sounded like hornets having a party in my head.

I prefer my wollybutt eucalyptus didgeridoo :D

http://www.laoutback.com/didgeridoo/images/didgeridoo_3H.jpg

ebsoria
06-26-2010, 10:40 PM
God those got aggravating. Sounded like hornets having a party in my head.

I prefer my wollybutt eucalyptus didgeridoo :D

http://www.laoutback.com/didgeridoo/images/didgeridoo_3H.jpg

The noise has it's own charm when you harness it's power to irritate those you work with. :thumb:

kishzilla
06-26-2010, 10:59 PM
The noise has it's own charm when you harness it's power to irritate those you work with. :thumb:

You have to be careful when doing it though cause sometimes it can backfire. You'll be blowing into it and they'll smack the end of it. Then you go the rest of the day looking like you got a bee sting on your lip.

PVC pipe doubles as an excellent Vuvuzela BTW :D

Hoserman117
06-26-2010, 11:30 PM

I'd actually like to follow soccer a bit more after this. I didn't appreciate the game when I was younger, but now it's been really enjoyable to watch. I'd love to watch the US compete in some international cups. They were second place in the confederation cup last year when they lost to Brazil 3-2 in the final. They beat Spain 2-0 to get there too :P

Maybe next world cup we'll have a better run...

Spyder
06-27-2010, 02:20 AM
Loving the Sig... glad to say i had the pleasure of watching that lad play for United... truly was a joy to watch!!

Shame about the USA... but, not being nasty, you were never gonna win it. Look at it this way, you will have done as well as one from Germany or England, Spain or Portugal and Mexico or Argentina... and better than France or Italy... think of it like that!

Thanks. Ronaldo has always been a favorite of mine, I try to follow the kid as much as possible, even went as far as to shell out the money to buy a couple of jerseys. A lot of people are on the Messi 'wagon now, but Ronaldo is still my fave.

Yeah, I was upset earlier because I really thought the USA could do a little more, but the more and more I think about it, they were about where they belonged. The forwards were average this year, the depth was non-existent and losing Davies crippled the States' chance at making any major noise. Donovan was simply expected to carry this team far too many times. Oh well.

Go Portugal!

Hoserman117
06-27-2010, 12:13 PM
Glad to see Argentina owning so far. They're my new favorite team since my dad was born there and is a huge fan. Go Argentina!!

D_Broncs_913
06-27-2010, 12:27 PM
Wow...you have got to be kidding me! That was as clear as an offsides as there will ever be! The second one was Mexico's fault. I also liked the comment from ABC about how the Argentina players would take forever to get up lol.

Here's to hoping Mexico pulls off a miracle!

Hoserman117
06-27-2010, 01:06 PM
That was a great goal by Tevez. Mexico cutting it to 3-1 now though. Go Argentina!! :D

Spyder
06-27-2010, 02:58 PM
Argentina vs Germany is going to be EPIC.

milehighireland
06-27-2010, 03:38 PM
Argentina vs Germany is going to be EPIC.

Delighted for england today, all that arrogance coming up to the tournament and they were humiliated in the end. Having said that, Germany were very very impressive, they tore them to bits.

I would be surprised if that match doesnt at the very least produce a finalist, if not the winner. Easily the 2 most impressive teams of the tournament so far.

BroncosTX77
06-27-2010, 04:16 PM
I have lost all faith in FIFA today. I got so sick after the England debacle then the BS in the Mexico game, I shut off TV and mowed the lawn in 100+ degree weather just to cool off :D

Travesty.

Hoserman117
06-27-2010, 04:56 PM
I have lost all faith in FIFA today. I got so sick after the England debacle then the BS in the Mexico game, I shut off TV and mowed the lawn in 100+ degree weather just to cool off :D

Travesty.

To me the only consoling thing about these no calls is that IMO the better teams won in both cases. I agree though, the calls sucked, and it's ridiculous that FIFA still won't switch to some form of instant replay.

EvertonBroncos
06-28-2010, 01:17 AM
Miroslav Klose needs 3 more goals to become joint top scorer in world cup history, can't see a reason why he can't do it to be honest, he may be 32 but I still think he's one of the most deadly strikers in the game

Amari24
06-28-2010, 12:02 PM
I'd actually like to follow soccer a bit more after this. I didn't appreciate the game when I was younger, but now it's been really enjoyable to watch. I'd love to watch the US compete in some international cups. They were second place in the confederation cup last year when they lost to Brazil 3-2 in the final. They beat Spain 2-0 to get there too :P

Maybe next world cup we'll have a better run...

I think Donovan will be about 33 or 34 when the next World Cup starts :sad:

Well, atleast Bradley will still be in his mid 20s..

Southstander
06-28-2010, 04:55 PM
While the only thing I know about Socker is how to spell it. :wink: the way the refs are calling the games is a joke. As Michelle Beadle on Sports Nation put it, "Can you imagine if they only played the Super Bowl every four years and the refs could make all these bad calls and not have to anwer for it".

BroncosTX77
06-28-2010, 07:55 PM
To me the only consoling thing about these no calls is that IMO the better teams won in both cases. I agree though, the calls sucked, and it's ridiculous that FIFA still won't switch to some form of instant replay.

That's the thing I hear people say. The better team won. The better team doesn't always win. England ties the score 2-2 maybe they don't press as much and Germany doesn't score anymore goals. The goal is disallowed and the mindset of the team is toast.

That is what definitely happened in the Mexico game. I know the Mexican team. They play solely off emotions. They let everything get to them. Ive seen them get an easy goal and like shark frenzy go for goal constantly. Ive also seen them have things not go right for them and they spend rest of game just fouling being complete dooshes not caring if they lose as long as they cause as much pain as possible.

So again those calls were Travesties and whether the right team still won it should not have happened and changed the course of the World Cup.

Spyder
06-28-2010, 07:57 PM
I think Donovan will be about 33 or 34 when the next World Cup starts :sad:

Well, atleast Bradley will still be in his mid 20s..

So many kids ages 6-18 are playing soccer these days in the States, we have to do a better job of finding talent. We're an enormous nation, especially compared to so many others who either dominate or are atleast better than us at the game.

I'd also have to agree with others, Bob Bradley should probably be replaced. I admire what the guy has done to a point, but his motivation of this team is horrible. They looked so many times as if they preferred to have not even been there. We should consider a European or maybe South American coach who can get this team going. It worked wonders for Ghana to bring their guy from another country (I'm pretty sure it was Europe).

DevilSpawn
06-28-2010, 08:24 PM
Despite the awful calls, Germany and Argentina would've won. But it would've been exciting to see England come back that fast.

I'm worried about tomorrow. If we lose to Portugal 1-0, I won't be surprised.

BroncosTX77
06-28-2010, 09:05 PM
So many kids ages 6-18 are playing soccer these days in the States, we have to do a better job of finding talent. We're an enormous nation, especially compared to so many others who either dominate or are atleast better than us at the game.

I'd also have to agree with others, Bob Bradley should probably be replaced. I admire what the guy has done to a point, but his motivation of this team is horrible. They looked so many times as if they preferred to have not even been there. We should consider a European or maybe South American coach who can get this team going. It worked wonders for Ghana to bring their guy from another country (I'm pretty sure it was Europe).

I think Bradley will be replaced and the man they asked 4 years ago before they asked Bradley will take the job this time.

Hint: he is an analyst for ESPN during World Cup 2010 and has coaching Experience....

Spyder
06-28-2010, 10:01 PM
I think Bradley will be replaced and the man they asked 4 years ago before they asked Bradley will take the job this time.

Hint: he is an analyst for ESPN during World Cup 2010 and has coaching Experience....

Who? Alexi Lalas? I can't remember who the USA even asked around that time.

Personally I'd look at Jurgen Klinsmann. I know he wasn't born in America, but the dude has lived in California for like 15 years now, so that practically makes him American enough and he's won everywhere he has been.

*Edit: I just researched and it was Klinsmann that the USA offered. Apparently he was close to taking the job before contract talks went to hell. Man.. that'd be like a dream if they could somehow get him to accept the job for the '14 Cup. But if they're going to, they best make the move as soon as this Cup is over with. Allow him enough time to bring in his own talent and build them up. I really think we'd have a chance at doing something with him at the helm.

chazoe60
06-28-2010, 10:06 PM

Personally I'd look at Jurgen Klinsmann. I know he wasn't born in America, but the dude has lived in California for like 15 years now, so that practically makes him American enough and he's won everywhere he has been.

*Edit: I just researched and it was Klinsmann that the USA offered. Apparently he was close to taking the job before contract talks went to hell. Man.. that'd be like a dream if they could somehow get him to accept the job for the '14 Cup. But if they're going to, they best make the move as soon as this Cup is over with. Allow him enough time to bring in his own talent and build them up. I really think we'd have a chance at doing something with him at the helm.
Living in California, I don't care for how long, never makes a person "American enough".

Spyder
06-28-2010, 10:16 PM
Living in California, I don't care for how long, never makes a person "American enough".

So who're pretty much the judge of what makes someone American and not now, eh? Oh wait, you can't stand this sport yet you continue to post in this thread as if your opinion matters to anyone.

Get off the computer and find something else to do with your time.

chazoe60
06-28-2010, 10:20 PM
So who're pretty much the judge of what makes someone American and not now, eh? Oh wait, you can't stand this sport yet you continue to post in this thread as if your opinion matters to anyone.

Whoa, whoa there lil' fella. Did I hurt you feelers? It was a joke, thin skinned much?

Spyder
06-28-2010, 10:21 PM
Whoa, whoa there lil' fella. Did I hurt you feelers? It was a joke, thin skinned much?

Nah. I just always enjoy laughing at rednecks. Especially those on the interwebz. ;)

chazoe60
06-28-2010, 10:25 PM
Nah. I just always enjoy laughing at rednecks. Especially those on the interwebz. ;)

Now I'm a redneck? Well I reckon I'll go milk the chickens then.

Spyder
06-28-2010, 10:34 PM
Now I'm a redneck? Well I reckon I'll go milk the chickens then.

I don't know. You tell me. ;)

Some simple signs painted a certain picture with arguments you had with Charlie Brown and others in threads throughout this board at certain times. Though, this is neither the place nor time for that.

Amari24
06-29-2010, 03:22 AM

I meant Michael Bradley. He will be about 26 when the next World Cup starts. But I agree with everything you said at the top.

BroncosTX77
06-29-2010, 08:13 AM

They asked Jurgen Klinsmann but he respectfully declined. But I have this feeling he'll say yes this time around. US has some intriguing up and comers and decent leftovers for next WC. I hope they do it.

aka_lemony
06-29-2010, 09:32 AM

Very sad... people should be able to watch a great sport and route for the country they live in without judgment if they are "American" enough. I agree with you, Spyder, if you don't like the sport don't watch it and don't comment about it. We had a great run and I believe we'll only get better and better if we increase our fan-base and enthusiasm regardless of their nationality.

chazoe60
06-29-2010, 10:52 AM
You know what is funny? The people who overreacted and took my joke seriously are committing the Internet equivalent of a soccer flop. So, it's oddly fitting.

Man up. Or should I live up to my "Redneck" reputation (which is a new one on me btw) and say cowboy up, ladies.

BVP
06-29-2010, 11:05 AM
Portugal vs. Spain, should be the best game of the round of 16. GO Portugal!

Spyder
06-29-2010, 11:07 AM
They asked Jurgen Klinsmann but he respectfully declined. But I have this feeling he'll say yes this time around. US has some intriguing up and comers and decent leftovers for next WC. I hope they do it.

That would be awesome. I really hope they reach out to him again. As I said, I think it would do wonders for the team going forward towards 2014. The guy knows how to win and knows talent.

milehighireland
07-06-2010, 05:18 AM
Figured this thread was due a bump, seeing as it's now the semis...

Everybody still following it? how you think the rest of the tournament will pan out?

And what did everybody think of the Quarter Finals? imo they were the best matches so far...

EvertonBroncos
07-06-2010, 06:31 AM
Bet £5 on Uruguay to beat Holland at 5/1 odds, can see Germany winning the whole thing though.

Ryan_Nys
07-06-2010, 11:52 AM
:jawdrop: Who else saw that goal?!? That was absolutely incredible. :td:

GridironChamp
07-06-2010, 12:00 PM
:jawdrop: Who else saw that goal?!? That was absolutely incredible. :td:

It was quite insane, the best part was that it was just a normal shot with any
tricky bend or anything.. Just perfectly placed.

Ryan_Nys
07-06-2010, 12:28 PM
It was quite insane, the best part was that it was just a normal shot with any
tricky bend or anything.. Just perfectly placed.

Exactly and it was just so unexpected. Out of nowhere comes this bullet to the upper 90 off post right under the crossbar.

I know what it feels like to be a goalie, I played it in lacrosse. Sometimes there's just nothing you can do. :sad:

milehighireland
07-06-2010, 01:33 PM
Good match there, some great goals too, Van Bronckhorst's and Forlan's goals were unbelievable.

Holland advance to their first final since 1978, having lost in their other 2 appearances.... 3rd time lucky perhaps? They havent even played to their full potential yet and theyre unbeaten and in the final!

xX-Bronco-Xx
07-06-2010, 01:38 PM
I'll be rooting for Germany to win it all.

I remember at the beginning of the WC analysts were saying they were too young and without a leader. Well now..... Who's in the semis? :D

milehighireland
07-07-2010, 02:19 PM

Holland.

Seems we know our stuff haha :D

DevilSpawn
07-07-2010, 05:49 PM
Man with the San Fernin festival and this victory, I wish I was there now. :sad: But I'm partially drunk so that's a good thing. whoohoooooooooo!!!! :peace: :peace: :peace:

Andyy_47
07-08-2010, 07:04 PM
Seems we know our stuff haha :D

Came back from holiday to instantly come to this thread to say one thing:

Hell yeah, we're awesome! Holland have proved me right, I worried after Robben got injured, I thought Van Der Vaart would make more of a contribution than that waste of space Kuyt, but all his running and effort is allowed Sneijder time to tear oppositions apart.

Now...if only Van Persie knew how to score, Huntelaar has scored as many as him this tournament and he hasn't started a freaking game.

Germany are ALWAYS strong. No matter what pundits say, Germany will prevail. They were a joy to watch, especially hammering England, who let me down BIG time. I'm getting alot of stick when I go back to work for saying I believe they could finally have all the parts in place to make a run at the final.

samparnell
07-09-2010, 05:16 PM
It's a rematch of the Eighty Years' War!

Who will win the rematch, and will it take eighty years or less?