PDA

View Full Version : Is baseball a sport?

Southstander
05-11-2010, 11:18 PM
Today a poster here said the baseball is not a sport. :facepalm: So I figured the best way to show him the error of his ways it but a poll.

Alastor
05-11-2010, 11:20 PM
Yeah, it's a sport. Not my favorite, but it's a sport.

So is hockey. So is Basketball.

It gets a little sketchy from there on out, and I refer to most other activities as "sports" - with the quotes present.

Southstander
05-11-2010, 11:25 PM
Yeah, it's a sport. Not my favorite, but it's a sport.

So is hockey. So is Basketball.

It gets a little sketchy from there on out, and I refer to most other activities as "sports" - with the quotes present.

I think that any activity that involves psychical activities and competition me is a sport to me.

D_Broncs_913
05-11-2010, 11:48 PM
Jking lol....it is. Just felt rebellious!!

Brancos
05-11-2010, 11:57 PM
Mark McGwire and Barry Bonds both took steroids and dominated the sport. I always wondered why Baseball players don't just work out and learn to run fast. It seems like if they had better training (as far as strength goes) it would be much easier.

Chillez
05-11-2010, 11:57 PM
Of course Baseball is a sport silly. Anyone that doesn't think so probley

doesn't even know what Baseball is...

The person might have mental issues imo!! :D

Bronco_Armada
05-12-2010, 12:40 AM
I know who you are referring to south.

I got in a similar argument about a year ago over hockey. He has never explained his definition of a "sport"

It is more or less what he claims is or is not a sport.

Not a baseball guy, but it is a sport.

Hockey is the second greatest sport. Football the being the greatest. :peace:

Red-Falcon
05-13-2010, 03:13 AM
Of course baseball is a sport, and a great one. Here in Europe we have ESPN America, and they're showing games all summer long from MLB. I just love baseball... Definitely one of my favorite sports ever!

#1snake_fan
05-13-2010, 08:17 AM
whoever said Baseball wasn't a sport is probably the guy who sits at home drinking beer and watches NASCAR and then calls into his local radio shows and claims that Jimmy Johnson , Dale Jr. , Gordon , are the greatest athletes alive :rolleyes:

Baseball is widely know as the hardest thing in the world to do your hitting a round ball going anywhere from 75 mph to 103 mph (strasburg) with a round wooden bat so how that's not a sport and driving around is is beond me.

He's also the guy who says Tennis , Golf , Fishing are sports too (which their not )

and how can you say Hockey isn't a sport is got the skill , and talent not to mention it's more violent then football , how many times have you seen someone get their throat slit in football while playing their game ? ... never

GO SHARKS !!!!

Peanut
05-13-2010, 08:26 AM
whoever said Baseball wasn't a sport is probably the guy who sits at home drinking beer and watches NASCAR and then calls into his local radio shows and claims that Jimmy Johnson , Dale Jr. , Gordon , are the greatest athletes alive :rolleyes:

Baseball is widely know as the hardest thing in the world to do your hitting a round ball going anywhere from 75 mph to 103 mph (strasburg) with a round wooden bat so how that's not a sport and driving around is is beond me.

He's also the guy who says Tennis , Golf , Fishing are sports too (which their not )

and how can you say Hockey isn't a sport is got the skill , and talent not to mention it's more violent then football , how many times have you seen someone get their throat slit in football while playing their game ? ... never

GO SHARKS !!!!

I knew someone would mention NASCAR. :P

Those that are bolded, IMO, are sports. It's compitition.

And, IMO, violence does not define if something is a sport or not.

To the OP, yes, I think baseball is a sport.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
05-13-2010, 08:37 AM
If the poster in question had ever seen Chone Figgins leg out a triple there would be no doubt in his mind that baseball is definitely a sport.

Axemaster
05-14-2010, 06:53 AM
Hell yes it's a sport, but a better question that I hear debated all the time is NASCAR a sport???

TheBroncoEra
05-14-2010, 08:44 AM
Hell yes it's a sport, but a better question that I hear debated all the time is NASCAR a sport???

In my honest opinion, no NASCAR is not a sport. However the term sport just comes down to how the person at hand chooses to define it. I consider anything with physical activity to be a sport (so to the OP I do consider baseball a sport), and to me NASCAR and most motorsports are just really fast driving, but again it's how you choose to define sport :salute!:

rst08tierney
05-14-2010, 08:44 AM
Baseball is a sport.

A sport thats much less physical demanding then others but for some reason many like to categorize it as a non-sport with:

sailing/bowling/billiards/darts/NASCAR/beer pong

But after looking at the list, you understand why baseball is a sport. Right?

OrangeBlueCrew
05-14-2010, 08:51 AM
Mark McGwire and Barry Bonds both took steroids and dominated the sport. I always wondered why Baseball players don't just work out and learn to run fast. It seems like if they had better training (as far as strength goes) it would be much easier.

See the thing about steroids and HGH is they are the only thing in the world that allow you to gain muscle and burn fat at the same time.
Everyone else has to put on muscle and then cut down the fat after the muscle is put on.

BluenOrnge4Life
05-14-2010, 10:02 AM
If you don't think Baseball is a sport, you should probably go get your head checked. Whether you like Baseball or not, it's definitely a sport.

Southstander
05-14-2010, 10:09 AM

Only Brancos would call it a sport in his post, and then vote no. :laugh:

So out of the six that voted no, one did it to be a rebel. One is the poster in question, and one is Brancos. So that means that only three others truly support this posters point of veiw.

BRONCOS_OWN_U16
05-14-2010, 01:55 PM
If you don't think Baseball is a sport, you should probably go get your head checked. Whether you like Baseball or not, it's definitely a sport.

actually, no it is not.

Brancos
05-14-2010, 11:11 PM
Only Brancos would call it a sport in his post, and then vote no. :laugh:

So out of the six that voted no, one did it to be a rebel. One is the poster in question, and one is Brancos. So that means that only three others truly support this posters point of veiw.

The poll asks if it is a "SPORT" I think it is a sport. :go:

Actually I voted no because Baseball is boring but a lot of less athletic things are sports so baseball is a sport.

It's not really someones opinion if Baseball is a sport. It's either a sport or its not and I think it is pretty obvious that it is.

It's kind of like when you are parking a jet ski at a movie theater. Some times you wonder why tarmac isn't very edible. :go:

Spyder
05-14-2010, 11:14 PM
Hitting a ball coming straight at you at about 90mph and inreturn trying to stop a ball as an infielder is one of the hardest things you can do in any sport. I've played just about everything at one time or another and baseball was anything but easy.

That said, I understand why so many people like it and whatnot, but it's just not for me.
Too slow and not something I really enjoy much.

Baseball is def. a sport though. No two ways about it.

Peanut
05-14-2010, 11:37 PM
Okay, you knew someone was going to do it.

I will be that person. :P

From an on-line dictionary:

sport (spôrt, sprt)
n.
a. Physical activity that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often engaged in competitively.

b. A particular form of this activity.

2. An activity involving physical exertion and skill that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often undertaken competitively.

3. An active pastime; recreation.

You're welcome. :D

RealBronco
05-15-2010, 12:17 AM
i voted no just to be an ass because i dislike baseball. but it's obviously a sport.

one might say the definition of a sport can be a loose and ambiguous one, and depends on the person's opinion.

cheerleaders think cheerleading is a sport... *shrug*

let's find out what the dictionary says:

sport - 7 dictionary results
Enervit
Enervitene,R2,Sport Gel,Cheer Pack
Free Shipping on Orders Over $49
www.themusettebag.com
Fantasy Baseball Help
Save your fantasy baseball season! Try
the free seven-day trial now.
www.BloombergSports.com
Holiday Inn Hotels
Stay You.™ You'll see and feel the
difference the moment you check in.
Sponsored Results
www.HolidayInn.com
sport   [spawrt, spohrt] Show IPA
–noun
an athletic activity requiring skill or physical prowess and often of a competitive nature, as racing, baseball, tennis, golf, bowling, wrestling, boxing, hunting, fishing, etc.
a particular form of this, esp. in the out of doors.
diversion; recreation; pleasant pastime.
jest; fun; mirth; pleasantry: What he said in sport was taken seriously.
mockery; ridicule; derision: They made sport of him.
an object of derision; laughingstock.
something treated lightly or tossed about like a plaything.
something or someone subject to the whims or vicissitudes of fate, circumstances, etc.
a sportsman.
Informal. a person who behaves in a sportsmanlike, fair, or admirable manner; an accommodating person: He was a sport and took his defeat well.
Informal. a person who is interested in sports as an occasion for gambling; gambler.
Informal. a flashy person; one who wears showy clothes, affects smart manners, pursues pleasurable pastimes, or the like; a bon vivant.
Biology. an organism or part that shows an unusual or singular deviation from the normal or parent type; mutation.
Obsolete. amorous dalliance.
–adjective
of, pertaining to, or used in sports or a particular sport.
suitable for outdoor or informal wear: sport clothes.
–verb (used without object)
to amuse oneself with some pleasant pastime or recreation.
to play, frolic, or gambol, as a child or an animal.
to engage in some open-air or athletic pastime or sport.
to trifle or treat lightly: to sport with another's emotions.
to mock, scoff, or tease: to sport at suburban life.
Botany. to mutate.
–verb (used with object)
to pass (time) in amusement or sport.
to spend or squander lightly or recklessly (often fol. by away).
Informal. to wear, display, carry, etc., esp. with ostentation; show off: to sport a new mink coat.
Archaic. to amuse (esp. oneself).
—Idiom
sport one's oak. oak (def. 5).
Use sport in a Sentence
Origin:
1350–1400; ME; aph. var. of disport

—Related forms
sportful, adjective
sport·ful·ly, adverb
sport·ful·ness, noun
sportless, adjective
outsport, verb (used with object)
un·sport·ed, adjective
un·sport·ful, adjective

—Synonyms
1. game. 3. amusement, fun, entertainment. See play. 18. romp, caper. 20. toy.

Sparky The Sun Devil
05-15-2010, 01:37 AM
baseball is not a sport, baseball is baseball
haha jk

yea it is though, anything that requires athelticism and competition is a sport.

nascar and golf do not fall under athelticism

Frenchy180
05-15-2010, 02:56 AM
It's just as much of a sport as Footbag, Football, or Futbol
http://www.chessbase.de/2008/kramniknavara2/GalaOpening%20-%20Vasek%20Klouda%20-%20world%20champion%20in%20hakisak.jpg
(Vasek Klouda, World Footbag Champion 2002-2009)

Spice 1
05-15-2010, 10:25 AM
Klouda's gotta be juicing. Look at that vertical. There's no way.

MNBroncs85
05-15-2010, 01:45 PM
Yeah I think some people just like to be negative and start crap.
How is baseball not a sport? There are a billion reasons why it is and I cant think of any reason why its not.
You have to be in good shape.
Theres competition and major strategy involved.
Not many people can throw a baseball within a small window at 85-90+ mph accurately, nor hit a ball going that fast.
Speed is and running is involved.
I could go on and on all day. They dont call it americas game for nothing.

Southstander
05-15-2010, 05:19 PM
haha jk

yea it is though, anything that requires athelticism and competition is a sport.

NASCAR most certainly does. If you look at what the drivers are subjected to during the course of a race you would know that it is a sport. The part in bold is just as dumb as saying baseball is not a sport.

MNBroncs85
05-15-2010, 05:41 PM
haha jk

Golf definetely has competition. As for athleticism go play a round of golf and tell me how sore you are the next day. You'd be surprised, look at Tiger the guy has a huge upper body why do you think he can drive the ball 300+ yards. Golf is a sport IMO you dont have to be athletic but you have to have certain skill and technique to be good just like any sport. For example you can compare nfl kickers/punters to golfers. Just sayin