PDA

View Full Version : Cavs fire Coach Brown.

Southstander
05-14-2010, 11:03 AM
Less then 24 hours after the Celtics eliminate them from the playoffs the Cavs have fired Head Coach Mike Brown according to ESPN. They are sighting two sources.

OrangeBlueCrew
05-14-2010, 11:13 AM
I'm interested to see if this is true, cause Rick Bucher is reporting that the report is not accurate. However, if it is true, that is very unfair to Mike Brown. I think they would fire him in hopes of keeping LeBron by letting him choose which coach he wants (Phil Jackson possibly).

Southstander
05-14-2010, 11:14 AM
They are saying it is a matter of simantics (SP).

OrangeBlueCrew
05-14-2010, 11:15 AM
Poor guy, these types of moves effect so many people much more seriously than a headline on Sportscenter's bottom line.

The Experience
05-14-2010, 12:03 PM
If this is true the Cavs are STUPID! Brown is a great coach.

Southstander
05-14-2010, 12:04 PM
I think that what Lebron wants on this Lebron will get.

CoryWinget81
05-14-2010, 12:07 PM
Doesn't matter if they fired Brown, Lebron will be in Chicago with Calipari in 2010-2011.

The Experience
05-14-2010, 12:08 PM
I think that what Lebron wants on this Lebron will get.

Which is completely the wrong way to handle a franchise IMO. I don't care how good he is, He is just a player. He should have little if any decisions regarding personnel.

It appears the report is false.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=5189101

The Cleveland Cavaliers, fresh off a six-game, second-round loss to the Boston Celtics, are staying with coach Mike Brown.

At least for now.

Speaking to the media Friday afternoon, Cavaliers owner Dan Gilbert said a report published by SI.com stating Brown had been fired wasn't true.

"We are right now just going through the evaluation process, getting all the information, talking to Coach Brown, talking to [general manager Danny] Ferry, talking to everybody and anybody," Gilbert said. "You have to do that because you're not going to -- as ownership during the playoffs -- you're not going to go in and ask a thousand questions."

Brown is a year removed from winning the NBA's coach of the year award and three years removed from leading the Cavaliers to the NBA Finals.

He has gone 272-138 as coach for the Cavaliers over five seasons, having recorded the best record of the NBA's 2009-10 regular season at 61-21.

Despite LeBron James' sixth career playoff triple-double, the Celtics eliminated the Cavaliers with a 94-85 victory Thursday night.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

thatkidhunt
05-14-2010, 12:24 PM
Cavs majority owner says this isnt the case, but I bet they eventually do fire him.

Hoserman117
05-14-2010, 12:26 PM
They'd better fire him.

Maharishineo
05-14-2010, 12:30 PM
Which is completely the wrong way to handle a franchise IMO. I don't care how good he is, He is just a player. He should have little if any decisions regarding personnel.

You have got to be kidding me. LeBron leaves, the Cavs tank. Maybe philosophically it shouldn't be that way, but in basketball, where a player like LeBron holds all the leverage, carries all the hope of an entire city, you have to make accommodations.

Besides, why shouldn't a player have an input on personnel decisions. If Miami had listened to Wade they would've had Rose instead of on-the-trading-block-Beasley.

It appears the report is false.

Maybe for now. In the press conference posted on the website the Cavs management says he's not fired, but he doesn't say he's staying either. He simply says that they're "only beginning to examination process", referring to their plans for the entire organization for next season. I agree with thatkidhunt; it's only a matter of time.

My personal opinion: sure, he's a solid coach. There are definitely worse out there, but I'd like the move to fire him.

ebsoria
05-14-2010, 12:31 PM
How would you like to be Brown at home kicking back after that loss watching ESPN and be like- ":eek: What!?!?!?!"

:laugh:

Maharishineo
05-14-2010, 12:36 PM
Doesn't matter if they fired Brown, Lebron will be in Chicago with Calipari in 2010-2011.

I'm hoping he lands in Dallas. I doubt the Cavs will have any part of a sign and trade though. Maybe there's some type of trade the Mavs can to do make some more room first. Dirk's said he'll take less money to stay in Dallas and win. Maybe he'll opt out and sign for less in order to create enough room for LeBron. I mean LBJ, with that perimeter shooting. Maaan. Just wishful thinking though, since LeBron's my favorite athlete and I'm starting my career up in Dallas in a month.

Hm. Since I'm on the crazy idea train, then all I'd need is for the Cowboys to relocate, and then the Broncos to move down here.

:speech: :laugh:

Maharishineo
05-14-2010, 12:37 PM
How would you like to be Brown at home kicking back after that loss watching ESPN and be like- ":eek: What!?!?!?!"

If he's kicking back, he deserves it! lol.

I'm sure he's been aware he could be fired if they didn't win it all. This isn't the first time he's been on the chopping block.

The Experience
05-14-2010, 12:48 PM
If he's kicking back, he deserves it! lol.

I'm sure he's been aware he could be fired if they didn't win it all. This isn't the first time he's been on the chopping block.

Sorry but Mike deserves better than to be on the chopping block and the reason to blame for the Cavs not winning it all. Everyone wants to say that LeBron is the biggest reason for the team's success, which is fine. But the knife cuts both ways, if he is the reason why they are successful then he is also the reason for their failure as well.

Anyone who thinks Mike is a bad coach or deserves to be fired should read this article.
http://numbersdont.com/?p=1779

I have met Mike and had the opportunity to talk basketball with him. He is a very classy and humble individual. He is an amazing defensive mind and knows a ton about the game.

CoryWinget81
05-14-2010, 12:55 PM
Again, I have no compassion for people that are millionaires due to a game being fired.

Dan Reeves was a damn good coach, great defensive mind. Knows more about the game than alot of people have forgotten already.

And I agree with what was said. Regardless of Brown being a good coach or not, without LBJ that team is nothing.

Maharishineo
05-14-2010, 01:54 PM
Sorry but Mike deserves better than to be on the chopping block and the reason to blame for the Cavs not winning it all. Everyone wants to say that LeBron is the biggest reason for the team's success, which is fine. But the knife cuts both ways, if he is the reason why they are successful then he is also the reason for their failure as well.

Anyone who thinks Mike is a bad coach or deserves to be fired should read this article.
http://numbersdont.com/?p=1779

I have met Mike and had the opportunity to talk basketball with him. He is a very classy and humble individual. He is an amazing defensive mind and knows a ton about the game.

You've met him, I know you hate to hear it but you have to understand that I'm going to factor in some bias you have towards him. Just because you're a good person doesn't make you a good coach, we all know that.

And I'm not saying he's not good, because he is. But even after having read that article, it actually made me think of why I can see him getting fired... they win regular season games, but when it comes to coaching, matching up in the playoffs, all of the in-game battle of wits it takes then that's not nearly as present in the regular season... he doesn't get it done as well.

He's got some great philosophies. He's done wonders, the Cavs have a great defense (except in the playoffs). But different situations require different skill sets, some of which I don't think he has, not to the extent necessary anyway.

The Experience
05-14-2010, 02:05 PM
You've met him, I know you hate to hear it but you have to understand that I'm going to factor in some bias you have towards him. Just because you're a good person doesn't make you a good coach, we all know that.

And I'm not saying he's not good, because he is. But even after having read that article, it actually made me think of why I can see him getting fired... they win regular season games, but when it comes to coaching, matching up in the playoffs, all of the in-game battle of wits it takes then that's not nearly as present in the regular season... he doesn't get it done as well.

He's got some great philosophies. He's done wonders, the Cavs have a great defense (except in the playoffs). But different situations require different skill sets, some of which I don't think he has, not to the extent necessary anyway.That's your opinion. I have mine. I think we can agree to disagree respectfully. You make some good points. I have said for a few years that I don't think Mike's style fits well in Cleveland with LeBron. LeBron would fit in better with a team that focuses more on the offensive side of the ball. Places like NY, Phoenix and Denver.

BRONCOS_OWN_U16
05-14-2010, 02:49 PM

He's got some great philosophies. He's done wonders, the Cavs have a great defense (except in the playoffs). But different situations require different skill sets, some of which I don't think he has, not to the extent necessary anyway.

are you still going to be a cavs fan when lebron leaves? it might be time to invest in a JJ hickson jersey or wait until next years draft when you guys are a lottery team again.

CoryWinget81
05-14-2010, 02:58 PM
are you still going to be a cavs fan when lebron leaves? it might be time to invest in a JJ hickson jersey or wait until next years draft when you guys are a lottery team again.

:thumb:

Chillez
05-14-2010, 03:39 PM
Smart moved Mike Brown deserved to get fired. He's a great defensive coach but when comes to offense and his rotations not so much...

The Experience
05-14-2010, 05:18 PM
Smart moved Mike Brown deserved to get fired. He's a great defensive coach but when comes to offense and his rotations not so much...

See Mike needs to hire an offensive coordinator. Then he could focus on D.

Broncoholic JS
05-14-2010, 06:42 PM

This says different.

Southstander
05-14-2010, 06:48 PM

This says different.

I prob should have a Mod change the title..........

Chillez
05-14-2010, 07:34 PM
See Mike needs to hire an offensive coordinator. Then he could focus on D.

Good point. But who should they go out and hire that is really good offensive

coordinator?

The Experience
05-14-2010, 08:10 PM
Good point. But who should they go out and hire that is really good offensive

coordinator?

I am not sure. I just remember Rick Carlisle when he was with Indiana. He is a great offensive coach. He hired Mike Brown as his DC and they went to the finals. Brown also has a ring as a DC for the Spurs. SO if Brown could get someone to run the offense that would really help their chances.

GridironChamp
05-15-2010, 05:08 PM
The problem with Mike Brown is that he doesn't have the team for his style of play.
Period. From top to bottom he doesn't have defensive minded players. Cleveland's
offense is one of the worst in the NBA, on paper, and Brown offers nothing to
change that. Jamison and Williams are some of the worst defenders at their
positions.

Brown doesn't deserve to be fired but he should be if the Cav's want to win.

The Experience
05-16-2010, 09:23 AM
The problem with Mike Brown is that he doesn't have the team for his style of play.
Period. From top to bottom he doesn't have defensive minded players. Cleveland's
offense is one of the worst in the NBA, on paper, and Brown offers nothing to
change that. Jamison and Williams are some of the worst defenders at their
positions.

Brown doesn't deserve to be fired but he should be if the Cav's want to win.

Couldn't have said it better.

PhillyBronco24
05-16-2010, 10:18 AM
If this is true the Cavs are STUPID! Brown is a great coach.

I would agree with this, but a great coach comes up with a different game plan for the playoffs, and as we saw the cavs ran the same thing they did in the regular season. This is what caused so many problems for them. Then again he hasnt been fired yet so apprently they think something good about him in the cavs office.

Maharishineo
05-16-2010, 11:51 AM

I'm a LeBron fan. I root for the Cavaliers because LeBron is on the team. If he goes to another team, I'll still be a LeBron fan, and root for that team that he's on.

What's your point?

BRONCOS_OWN_U16
05-17-2010, 08:02 PM
I'm a LeBron fan. I root for the Cavaliers because LeBron is on the team. If he goes to another team, I'll still be a LeBron fan, and root for that team that he's on.

What's your point?
alright dude, calm down. you can root for whoever you want. i dont care.

i just wanted to know if you were a true cavs fan or a typical bandwagon fan. and now i know. thats all.

Maharishineo
05-18-2010, 09:27 AM
alright dude, calm down. you can root for whoever you want. i dont care.

i just wanted to know if you were a true cavs fan or a typical bandwagon fan. and now i know. thats all.

Nah. I'm not exacting steaming out of my ears. But the fact that you were trying to 'verify that I was a bandwagon fan' is something I take offense to. I'm not bandwagon about anything, simply a fan of a player and not a team when it comes to the NBA.

If I were bandwagon, then I would've jumped off the Broncos wagon when the franchise did a 180 last year after Shannahan got fired and Culter traded. Or I wouldn't still be rooting for the Astros despite their fall-off. Bandwagon is rooting for and following a team during good times only. I root for my teams and my player during good and bad.

Just wanted to make the distinction between being a bandwagon fan and the fan of a player instead of a team.

Spice 1
05-18-2010, 01:47 PM

Better than being a lottery team every year. HIBACHI!

Well, if Mike Brown get's fired (and it would break my friggin heart) maybe he could be a motivational speaker for Alcoholics Anonymous. That way, he won't be surprised when everybody quits on him.

BluenOrnge4Life
05-18-2010, 02:03 PM
Nah. I'm not exacting steaming out of my ears. But the fact that you were trying to 'verify that I was a bandwagon fan' is something I take offense to. I'm not bandwagon about anything, simply a fan of a player and not a team when it comes to the NBA.

If I were bandwagon, then I would've jumped off the Broncos wagon when the franchise did a 180 last year after Shannahan got fired and Culter traded. Or I wouldn't still be rooting for the Astros despite their fall-off. Bandwagon is rooting for and following a team during good times only. I root for my teams and my player during good and bad.

Just wanted to make the distinction between being a bandwagon fan and the fan of a player instead of a team.

Hard to say we did a 180 when we finished with the same 8-8 record as the year before. Just Sayin. Continue on...

BRONCOS_OWN_U16
05-18-2010, 05:56 PM
Better than being a lottery team every year. HIBACHI!

Well, if Mike Brown get's fired (and it would break my friggin heart) maybe he could be a motivational speaker for Alcoholics Anonymous. That way, he won't be surprised when everybody quits on him.

we dont make the lottery every year. we did make the playoffs 4 years in a row from 2004-2007.

its just our franchise is cursed but maybe after what happened today, the cursed has been lifted. i see good things in the future for us. our new owner ted leonsis will turn our franchise around.

The Experience
05-24-2010, 09:32 AM
Well Coach Brown has been fired.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=5213917

They are going to lose LeBron and a great coach. The Cavs will have pretty much nothing.

Spice 1
05-24-2010, 10:00 AM

They are going to lose LeBron and a great coach. The Cavs will have pretty much nothing.

I hope the Nuggets hire him, so you can enjoy watching your team fall apart in the second half of every game.

Kno-Sean
05-24-2010, 10:21 AM

Good! Making room for the Bucks to take the Central!

The Experience
05-24-2010, 10:40 AM
I hope the Nuggets hire him, so you can enjoy watching your team fall apart in the second half of every game.

The Nuggets do not need a coach dude. We have George Karl. I would be all for hiring Brown as our defensive coordinator and eventual replacement for George. But I think Brown will get an HC gig elsewhere.

Chillez
05-24-2010, 04:42 PM
It's official now.

LbloodOjunkieG
05-24-2010, 07:06 PM
Good! Making room for the Bucks to take the Central!

Sounds good to me. Unless, of course, he signs with Chicago.

TRUEBRONCOFAN24
05-24-2010, 10:14 PM

and they will also lose a boatload of fans... :smug:

Hoserman117
05-24-2010, 10:41 PM

I think I might be the same way. I only started following the NBA because I needed something fun in the offseason, and LeBron is insanely fun to watch.

If he goes to a different team, I'll probably follow him there.

The Experience
05-26-2010, 01:16 PM
Classy guy......

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=5223097

CLEVELAND -- Fired Cleveland Cavaliers coach Mike Brown has called his five years with the team an "exceptional experience."

Brown, who has not publicly commented since his dismissal, issued a statement through the team Wednesday in which he thanked the Cavs for the opportunity to coach in Cleveland.

Brown was fired in the aftermath of a playoff collapse to Boston, as the Cavaliers, despite the NBA's best record and two-time MVP LeBron James, were unable to advance past the second round.

"I have been very fortunate to lead a group of men who I respect and thoroughly enjoyed coaching on a daily basis," Brown said.

Brown said he's proud of the standard he helped set in Cleveland, and appreciated the dedication and support he received from owner Dan Gilbert.

Brown led the Cavs to 127 regular-season wins the past two seasons. He was selected NBA coach of the year in 2009 and took Cleveland to its only NBA Finals appearance in 2007.

Brown is a likely candidate for the other five coaching vacancies in the league.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this