PDA

View Full Version : Sports Illustrated scam (read if you are subscribed!)

Twizlers
05-22-2010, 07:55 PM
I don't know if many of you already know this, or if it has been posted, but if you are subscribed to SI, you may get a little scam in the mail.

The gist of this scam is that you get a letter "from" SI talking about a Reward Claim you get for being a SI subscriber. They give you something like $92.00 to spend on various items in the enclosed brochure, which ranges from $7-$46, and you may pick any items to add up to your $92 reward amount and mail it in.

There is no indication on the letter or fine print about it being a scam, with the exception that if signed, you authorize SI to give your account information to the item vendors for processing (but it says it won't charge you).

The scam, of course, is that they do. And the reward items they send you is way below the retail price they advertise in their brochure.

I just got this letter today so I did a little research and apparently, the scam is a part of Time Warner. They WILL charge you, and you will go through agonizing efforts to get your refund, including mailing back each reward that you received.

Here is a link to the report:
http://www.ripoffreport.com/questionable-activities/time-warner-sports-i/time-warner-sports-illustrat-n88d7.htm

Again, sorry if you guys know about this, but I just felt like giving a heads up for those that didn't.

Sparky The Sun Devil
05-22-2010, 08:34 PM
is this kinda like how those 10 DVDs for $1 work? ive always wondered how those work, ive thought they were scamish

jetrazor74
05-23-2010, 07:46 PM
is this kinda like how those 10 DVDs for $1 work? ive always wondered how those work, ive thought they were scamish

No. That's not the same. The 10 DVD's for $1 deal is that you sign up to buy a set number of regular priced movies pluse S&H, and in return they send you 10 for $1.

No scam. You know what you're getting into before hand and the information is all there.

This is not the same thing.

Snapping Turtle
05-23-2010, 07:49 PM
I totally got that in the mail! :laugh: Glad you are letting people know its a scam, my mom was wanting me to get stuff and I was like...nooo this is bad!