PDA

View Full Version : Dontrelle Willis designated for assignment

keithbishop
05-30-2010, 08:17 AM
How far the mighty have fallen. No one will touch his $12 mil. contract, but I'm sure several teams will be interested once he's released and the Tigers are on the hook for all but $300 K or so.

InsaneBlaze23
05-30-2010, 08:29 AM
How far the mighty have fallen. No one will touch his $12 mil. contract, but I'm sure several teams will be interested once he's released and the Tigers are on the hook for all but $300 K or so.

I just read about this. I as a Tigers fan am a little happy and upset.

He was a good pitcher, but his short comings just prove that NL pitchers are not as good in the AL. Look at Javier Vasquez of the Yankees, he was a great Braves pitcher whom could not get a single strike out with the Yankees.

Willis will likely get signed by a NL or he will drop to semi-pro or just retire.

LbloodOjunkieG
05-30-2010, 08:37 AM
I don't follow baseball as much as I used to, but what happened with this guy? He was one of my favorite players when he was with the Marlins.

InsaneBlaze23
05-30-2010, 08:44 AM
I don't follow baseball as much as I used to, but what happened with this guy? He was one of my favorite players when he was with the Marlins.

Simple thing is what happen with him happens a lot. A good player starts to lose his grove, in for some the grove last to long so play interests goes down and teams cut then.

Pitching is harder than Batting in the simple fact that changing from AL to NL or NL to AL is hard. Look at the other player packaged with Willis Miguel Caberea. This guy is a beast, he's hitting RBI's and HR's left and right. i bet the Marlins wish he was still there. When AL pitchers move to the NL they become better than they were in the AL. Look at Roy Halladay's perfect game,if he was still a Blue Jay he may have never even had the chance.

CoryWinget81
05-30-2010, 08:57 AM
I think he should either learn how to work out of the pen or pull a Rick Ankiel and become an outfielder.

He used to have pretty good stuff, it'd be interesting if someone could turn him into a closer, but I personally believe transition to a position player is about his only option right now.

CinnaMunMun
05-31-2010, 10:50 AM

Like Insane said, he lost his groove. His throwing motion was so complex that if he was off just a little bit, he would have problems throwing strikes. It got into his head and he was sent down to the minors for a while.

He said he managed to clear his head up with the Tigers and he did do a lot better than he has for a while, posting a 4.99 era, but the dude still walks a huge amount of people.

I bet the Dodgers take a good look at him when his contract clears.

The Experience
05-31-2010, 11:35 AM
I think he should either learn how to work out of the pen or pull a Rick Ankiel and become an outfielder.

He used to have pretty good stuff, it'd be interesting if someone could turn him into a closer, but I personally believe transition to a position player is about his only option right now.

Well the guy has always been a very good hitter so this could happen.

I would not mind to see the Rox take a shot at him on a minor league deal. Low risk High reward.

PhillyBronco24
05-31-2010, 11:37 AM
D train used to be a pretty good pitcher, but was never an amazing pitcher or at least to me. I have no idea what happened but hes nothing of what he was once.

BroncoSexyDaddy
05-31-2010, 01:47 PM
Wow,its hard for me to believe Dontrelle would go down this far in his once promising career.I watched him grow up and pitch for Encinal High School in Alameda.I really thought he would always be unhittable,and be one of the great dominant pitchers in the league.At least he gets to keep his money.

BroncoSexyDaddy
06-01-2010, 03:30 PM
Just heard on espn that Dontrelle Willis got traded to Arizona Diamondbacks.LINK fanhouse.com or espn.com