PDA

View Full Version : Throw a Boomerang!

GatorZone
06-01-2010, 10:02 AM
Throwing boomerangs is an unusual sport to some, but not to us USBA (United States Boomerang Association) members like me. Are you one? Although this can be and is a solo sport, it is fun with other people who do it. Rangs arenít like Frisbees and are thrown quite differently. While some are made of plastic, the real ones are not toys and can be dangerous if you donít know how to use them. When thrown correctly, they really do come back. Iím in Jacksonville, FL near the beach and people love to see me throw them over the water and catch them; some take as much space as a football field. In the field near where I live, it stops traffic, bikers and walkers. That makes me wonder why more people donít do it; itís a blast. On a scale from 1-10, I am 9.5. When I find another buddy to throw with me, I will have become an expert.

Try it guys. If in Jacksonville, hit me up!

Alastor
06-01-2010, 10:53 AM
Do they really come back to their point of origin if thrown correctly, or do you still have to chase it down a bit?

How frequently does that happen?

What if it encounters contact while in the air (hits a bird or something)?

When "rangs" as you call them, were used as weapons, how did that work? Did people just throw the boomerang and it knocked a sheep on the head, knocking it out, or did it cut into and stick in the target?

If it hit the target, would it still come back to the point of origin?

LordTrychon
06-01-2010, 10:56 AM
Do they really come back to their point of origin if thrown correctly, or do you still have to chase it down a bit?

How frequently does that happen?

What if it encounters contact while in the air (hits a bird or something)?

When "rangs" as you call them, were used as weapons, how did that work? Did people just throw the boomerang and it knocked a sheep on the head, knocking it out, or did it cut into and stick in the target?

If it hit the target, would it still come back to the point of origin?

Well, I think I can answer the final part... no. :laugh:

Alastor
06-01-2010, 11:03 AM
Well, I think I can answer the final part... no. :laugh:

Let's try it. Here, you go stand over there :points:.

GatorZone
06-01-2010, 02:21 PM
1) Do they really come back to their point of origin if thrown correctly, or do you still have to chase it down a bit?
2) How frequently does that happen?
3) What if it encounters contact while in the air (hits a bird or something)?
4) When "rangs" as you call them, were used as weapons, how did that work? Did people just throw the boomerang and it knocked a sheep on the head, knocking it out, or did it cut into and stick in the target? If it hit the target, would it still come back to the point of origin?

1) They will come back to me without me taking a step if all conditions are met; velocity, angle, wind, height and spin. My longest flyer loops a diameter of about 75 yards; thatís a lot of room for error and wind speed and direction can change during a 30 second flight.

2) Yes, I have chased them down many times. An expert is defined as one who knows what those conditions are and can meet them most of the time. Not even an expert can make the wind consistent. Does a football player catch every throw? The reason it is recognized as a sport is because it is a challenge, takes skill and experience.

Rangs are thrown up and down, much like you would throw a knife; not sideways like a Frisbee, which is really ďflickedĒ forward, rather than thrown. The ďVĒ or open part of the ďVĒ faces you and when you throw them you spin them also. The higher the wind speed, you put a slight angle on up and down position and move to where the wind is at 45 degrees. If you are right handed, this means the wind will be blowing right on on your left side. When you hurl the rang, it will turn left and then go head on into the wind, be pushed by it and it will curve around that push and come back.

3) It if hits a bird in flight, the bird is doomed and the Rang will probably tumble to the ground, depending on the size of the bird. They donít drop out of the sky, they float somewhat because they spin so fast and the bird would probably hit the ground first. I have thrown more than one at a time or with a buddy and they have collided, but they never stopped flying, but it did change the direction just a bit. If they hit hard enough; one or both would fall and most likely in pieces. I hit a basketball net pole once (a one out of a lifetime of such throws) and it ďdingedĒ it and kept its flight pattern. It must have hit on the inside of the ďVĒ or it would have stopped or broken.

4) Returning boomerangs were never used for hunting. That is a myth and to think of hitting a target with a circular flying object is not practical. That would be like shooting a gun at a target with a bullet that travels in circles. Boomerangs must be thrown upward into the air; not near the ground where prey would be. There were throwing ďsticksĒ that were used by Aborigines in Australia that are straighter and thicker, but do have a slight curve. Like many boomerangs, they are longer on one end than the other. This style makes each revolution continuous as it picks up or maintains speed by generating its own energy when the longer side travels in front, pulling the shorter side behind it. They were used to stun prey, but they were not boomerangs. So, no those sticks would not return because they werenít meant to.

Thanks for your questions. I appreciate the time you took to ask them. I hope Iíve given you some info.

Bronco_Armada
06-02-2010, 03:48 AM
I had a boomerang until it cracked. My mom's friend brought it back from vacation. It was made of wood (not sure what type).

Of the hundreds of times I used it, it came directly to me once, smack me right in the face, a B*** slap of higher proportions. Got a bloody nose that is it.

Every other time I had to chase at the damn thing. Slammed it out of frustration and broke it.

I think I stick with my other weapons.

GatorZone
06-02-2010, 10:04 AM
I had a boomerang until it cracked. My mom's friend brought it back from vacation. It was made of wood (not sure what type). Of the hundreds of times I used it, it came directly to me once, smack me right in the face, a B*** slap of higher proportions. Got a bloody nose that is it.

Donít take this the wrong way, but you threw it wrong those hundreds of times or you had a bad rang. A good thrower is one who is taught how to do it; not someone who reads how. I can throw 4 consecutively (back to back) and can catch 3 of them; I have never caught them all, but they all do come back even though their flight patterns are different. I only have 2 that are the same and they can be thrown with one hand at one time.

Good rangs are made in Australia from good woods, like Australian Beachwood and are made of 7 to 16 thin layers, depending on the maker; they are hand made and are difficult to break. An average cost for one is about $55, but they can be as little as $30 and as much as $250, not including shipping.

The cheap ones are made of plywood in China, cost $5 to $10 and are not good for throwing because they are not sanded for flight properly and will break if you try, and probably even if you donít. These cheap Chinese imports look like boomerangs, typically have a stripe or painted tips on each wing and are ****ty examples of what they are impersonating. Even I cannot make one of them fly, so donít feel bad if thatís what you were working with. You canít get good rangs in a store; you have to order them from a dealer: www.theboomerangman.com

Your bloody nose reminded me of a bad story. Iím only admitting it so it wonít happen to someone. I was throwing one of my heaviest and fastest (M-17) and my buddy was sitting on a bench watching. He had never seen one before. This rang flies 35 yards and I estimated him to be about 45. When I let it go, I knew this could be trouble. I didnít give it enough height and instantly knew it. Youíre supposed to throw like youíre aiming for the top of an average tree. There was no time to speak or warn him because itís a fast flyer and I could only watch it fly right in front of his face 3 seconds after I let it go. According to him, it was 4 inches from his face. He said he heard it go by, could feel the wind from it and I saw him go backward. It did not hit him. If I had, he would have no nose, probably be blind and half his face could have been ripped off, and thatís only if he survived. That was the stupidest thing I have ever done in my life. I broke the rules and would be disbarred from the USBA if they knew what I did.

I was shaking so bad I had to quit for the day and questioned if I would ever throw one again. To this day my best friend does not know that throw wasnít planned by an ďexpertĒ. I learned from my mistake, trust me. I did throw again and with my buddy, but this time he stands next to me, not across the field. In the year that has passed, Iíve accepted my mistake and I have also produced another boomerang thrower. He is very good now and we draw crowds throwing at the same time, but I make sure our ďaudienceĒ stays clear of any danger.

GridironChamp
06-02-2010, 05:56 PM
Doesn't it hurt like hell to catch one of these mugs coming back at you that fast???

GatorZone
08-31-2010, 01:45 PM
Doesn't it hurt like hell to catch one of these mugs coming back at you that fast???

If you call a broken finger and a little blood hurt, then yes!

Depending on the rang, I wear leather workout gloves; the ones your fingers stick out of. They also have metal beads on them. I do have one plastic rang that will cut you because it is so heavy and thin. With that one, I have to wear full gloves, but it could still break a finger if it comes in fast. But, these are worst case situations.

Rangs loose speed and spin during flight. I catch many smaller and lighter wood ones with bare hands, but not always. I have one heavy wood one that's about 2ft. across. I would never attempt to catch that monster. I throw it just to see it fly; it's like slow motion, but weighs way to much to catch. I never let anyone touch it, much less throw it. I don't know anyone else who could get it in the air.

This is supposed to be fun so when I throw with my buddy, we have made rules. If the rang comes back close enough to have caught it, it is considered a catch. This just means you can let it pass by land and still get the catch. We also use a point system where 20 is for a real catch, 10 for within 5 ft. and 5 within 10 ft. of the thrower. First at 200 points wins, but the other guy gets a final turn if he did not throw first.

The great thing about flying rangs is that you can do it by yourself if you want to. Go when you want, stay as long as you want and leave when you want. I'm not really alone when I'm by myself because I talk to me the whole time!

Alastor
08-31-2010, 01:49 PM
The great thing about flying rangs is that you can do it by yourself if you want to. Go when you want, stay as long as you want and leave when you want. I'm not really alone when I'm by myself because I talk to me the whole time!

Brancos needs a boomerang.

CoryWinget81
08-31-2010, 01:54 PM

Start a rang fund for Brancos?

Epic win.

GatorZone
08-31-2010, 06:30 PM

They already have a man who can throw one, and it's not me. Tebow is a unique thrower. He needs every man on the team to be ready to intercept a pass. No matter their position, he knows where to throw the ball; he just needs someone there to catch it.

That's what the Gators knew about him. I saw it; I was there. This guy can throw a ball when he is being taken down and still deliver it. The Broncos will see this and I hope embrace his talent. Tim needs every guy on that team and every guy on that team needs him. That's what makes a team.

But if all else fails, I'll show up with my rangs because it takes nearly a football field to fly them! I can fly rings around our opponents and am willing to do so. Otherwise, let's have fun!

GatorZone
08-31-2010, 06:39 PM
Start a rang fund for Brancos?

Epic win.

Tell you what. We set up a rang fund for the Broncos and I'll use my resources with the USBA (United States Boomerang Association) to funnel that to buy rangs for kids and I will teach them myself how to throw them. That is a fantastic idea. "Rangs for Kids". Outstanding idea. Who's in with me?

Alastor
08-31-2010, 07:25 PM
Nonono... "Brancos" is not a typo. That's one of the users in the community. His name is Brancos.

GatorZone
08-31-2010, 07:54 PM
Nonono... "Brancos" is not a typo. That's one of the users in the community. His name is Brancos.

OK, call me stupid then. Sorry I didn't know that. Thanks for the heads up man!

GatorZone
09-01-2010, 07:23 PM

Took me a day to finally figure out what you said. Since your screen name was not "Brancos", I didn't get it until now. I think too much at times; then not enough at others.

So you say that "Brancos" needs a boomerang? Tell "Brancos" I got a rang for him. I can only throw 4 at a time; I don't need 15! I can part with one.

GatorZone
09-01-2010, 07:30 PM

I saw that UFC 118 photo. UFC rocks man and I wonder why I haven't seen more of WEC? I liked that maybe better, but where did it go?

GridironChamp
09-01-2010, 08:25 PM
I saw that UFC 118 photo. UFC rocks man and I wonder why I haven't seen more of WEC? I liked that maybe better, but where did it go?

WEC is always on Versus now, sometimes it's much more exciting because the
lighter weight guys like never gas.

GatorZone
09-01-2010, 09:47 PM
I only have basic cable and can't get "Versus". I miss that a lot. I traded that channel and others for a gym membership. I made a good choice, but I still miss it.

GridironChamp
09-02-2010, 08:42 AM
I only have basic cable and can't get "Versus". I miss that a lot. I traded that channel and others for a gym membership. I made a good choice, but I still miss it.

Great trade, I'd take the gym over channels like that any day.. Except maybe ESPN
:laugh:

Brancos
09-18-2010, 10:14 PM

Some community salt.

GatorZone
02-03-2012, 08:51 AM
Well, the Broncos didn't do too bad. How is Brancos this year?