PDA

View Full Version : Tigers pitcher Armando Galarraga denied a perfect game by blown call

DevilSpawn
06-02-2010, 06:04 PM
Oh man this pisses me off. No link yet since it just happened, but Tigers pitcher Armando Galarraga had two outs in the top of the 9th with a perfect game on the line. Indians hitter Jason Donald hits a ball between first and second. Tigers 1st baseman Miguel Cabrera fields the ball and tosses it to Galarraga for the out. While it was close, it was OBVIOUS that Donald was out and Galarraga had a perfect game. Veteran umpire Jim Joyce calls Donald safe. Replays clearly show that Donald was out.

I won't be shocked if the play is overturned, if the rules allow. What a travesty. I understand human error but COME ON!

Sparky The Sun Devil
06-02-2010, 06:08 PM
OVERTURN IT NOW BUD SELIG!!!!!

Holy **** 3 perfect games this close together

Broncosojia
06-02-2010, 06:09 PM
I saw it live

.....horrific call

DevilSpawn
06-02-2010, 06:19 PM
The first and only time there were 2 perfect games in a season was in June of 1880. This would've been the third perfect game in a month's span. To those who don't watch baseball, it's a 135 year old sport with only 20 perfect games.

Sparky The Sun Devil
06-02-2010, 06:22 PM
The first and only time there were 2 perfect games in a season was in June of 1880. This would've been the third perfect game this month.

actually it would be the first one this month ahaha i get what u mean though.....bud selig has to step in and fix this, it was cleary a perfect game and 27th out

DevilSpawn
06-02-2010, 06:29 PM
actually it would be the first one this month ahaha i get what u mean though.....bud selig has to step in and fix this, it was cleary a perfect game and 27th out
Are we in June already? :D I edited it.

Looking at it again, it wasn't even close. Even if Selig overturns the call, the ump ruined a moment rarely seen. And what's worse is that the ump is one of the best in the game.

Sparky The Sun Devil
06-02-2010, 06:31 PM
Are we in June already? :D I edited it.

Looking at it again, it wasn't even close. Even if Selig overturns the call, the ump ruined a moment rarely seen. And what's worse is that the ump is one of the best in the game.

That ump is gonna a bunch of death threats and retire pretty soon. Seriously though how can u blow that call, it was very obvious in real time

DevilSpawn
06-02-2010, 06:59 PM
Just heard on ESPN that umpire Jim Joyce released a statement:

I just cost this kid a perfect game. I thought he beat the throw. I was convined he beat the throw, until I saw the replay. It was the biggest call of my career.

Damn.

Medford Bronco
06-02-2010, 07:01 PM
MLB needs instant replay like the NFL has. Why not have 2 challenges per game and if you win them a 3rd one. It is not like the games are going to be any longer, especially in the AL.

The umpires suck. The strike zone because of questech is so small. I miss the old days when I was growing up when there were strikes called at the letters. You know the knees to the letters as is the rule book. Just look at any game on MLB network that is being replayed from the 70s or 80s and it seems like a different game now.

Bud Selig get a clue. Learn from the best league in the world, the NFL :peace:

CinnaMunMun
06-02-2010, 07:02 PM
Just heard on ESPN that umpire Jim Joyce released a statement:

Damn.

I just read he had tears in his eyes as he personally apologized to Galarraga. Galarraga is totally a class act throughout the whole thing too. He didn't say a thing, even during the game.

I really hope Selig changes the call, for Galarraga and Jim Joyce's sake.

DevilSpawn
06-02-2010, 07:09 PM
I just read he had tears in his eyes as he personally apologized to Galarraga. Galarraga is totally a class act throughout the whole thing too. He didn't say a thing, even during the game.

I really hope Selig changes the call, for Galarraga and Jim Joyce's sake.
Yeah Galarraga had a "you gotta be kidding me" smile on his face and just went on to finish the game. He was probably the only Tiger that didn't say anything. Total class.

I don't think Selig will overturn the call. He'll probably just wait for the dust to settle. If he overturns the call, he undermines a fine veteran umpire, which only adds embarrassment to Jim Joyce, which is unfair to him. They had an incident where an ump cost the Royals a World Series title by blowing a call late in a game, and they didn't overturn that, and that's a bigger scenario. It truly is the human element of the game and blown calls happen all the time... just never in a perfect game lol.

Sparky The Sun Devil
06-02-2010, 07:17 PM
They had an incident where an ump cost the Royals a World Series title by blowing a call late in a game, and they didn't overturn that, and that's a bigger scenario.

actually that blown call helped the royals win the world series. it was game 6 and the royals were down 3 games to 2 to the cardinals. They were down by 1 in the 9th and ended up winning in the 9th. in game 7, sanit lousis lost 11-0, so they cleary had the chance to recover from that call.

HurricaneDovs
06-02-2010, 07:27 PM
I really hope Selig overturns this call. Its blatant that he was out.

And as for Joyce, I know that he had to make a tough call but in that position how do you not give the edge to the pitcher? Ive seen pitchers that are going for No-Nos or Perfects get a wider strike zone and more leway with their pitches. That is rough if this stands as is.

CoryWinget81
06-02-2010, 07:49 PM
Sucks for Galarraga, but it won't be overturned. Could you imagine if Selig overturns this call and undermines Joyce? Every team would want all of their "bad" calls after the fact to be overturned.

It's REALLY really sucky. How Joyce thought he beat the throw, I have no idea. It was a slow ball in the first place and it the situation, he should have just rang him up.

Props to the guy for standing there and taking it from everyone before he left the field. He knew he screwed up....

....Part of me wonders if it was on purpose.

thatkidhunt
06-02-2010, 08:02 PM
This just sucks, sad story all the way around. This will be a hot topic for a while.

Sparky The Sun Devil
06-02-2010, 08:05 PM
The Ump wasnt fully paying attention, shown on replay. He was watching Cabrera, but still had time to see the play at first, but his eyes should never had left 1st base once cabera threw it

InsaneBlaze23
06-02-2010, 08:54 PM
As a Tigers fan, i'm a little upset.

Not because it was a perfect game but because Armando needed it. He has been struggling for 2yrs in this year would've been his last if the Tigers didn't bring him back from the minors.

3yrs ago he was our best pitcher,Verlander was in a flunk,then the year after he sucked up a storm,last year he didn't even play in the majors.

Armando needed this not the team or any body else. Baseball have to deal with ESPN talking about this for the next few days.

Sparky The Sun Devil
06-02-2010, 09:06 PM

a little?????????????? im cubs fan and going nuts about this

Sparky The Sun Devil
06-02-2010, 09:10 PM
i will be shocked if bud selig doesnt eventually give credit to amarndo.....theres gonna be so much national bad press tomorrow.....it makes total sense to change until u realize who the commisioner is, but still i think bud is gonna do the right thing because the rules failed the sport tonight

that is all

DevilSpawn
06-02-2010, 09:13 PM

Not because it was a perfect game but because Armando needed it. He has been struggling for 2yrs in this year would've been his last if the Tigers didn't bring him back from the minors.

3yrs ago he was our best pitcher,Verlander was in a flunk,then the year after he sucked up a storm,last year he didn't even play in the majors.

Armando needed this not the team or any body else. Baseball have to deal with ESPN talking about this for the next few days.
I applaud your demeanor. If Davis Wells or Davis Cone lost their perfect game off of this call, I'd be ticked for the next few days. Even more ticked if it was a struggling pitcher. But you're right about Galarraga needing the performance.

InsaneBlaze23
06-02-2010, 09:17 PM
a little?????????????? im cubs fan and going nuts about this

Your upset because of what could of happen for the sport of baseball. But this is my team, a perfect game will not change how people think of the Tigers nor will get put them in the world series. I'm happy we won the game vs a rival team.

If it would have been a perfect game I would be happy in rubbing it in the face of my friend whom is a Yankees fan.

If the broncos go 16-0 that just say's there perfect for the season, we as fans would be happy but yet we don't even goto the super bowl.

Look back at the Chargers game with Cutler. The chargers believe it or not won that game,a ref blew the call.

Blown calls are part of sports. Even in hockey. During the Red Wings vs Sharks series in the first game in the shark tank the ref's called a lot of penalties that should not have been called costing the Wings the game. just like with Armando it was on ESPN.

DevilSpawn
06-02-2010, 09:19 PM
i will be shocked if bud selig doesnt eventually give credit to amarndo.....theres gonna be so much national bad press tomorrow.....it makes total sense to change until u realize who the commisioner is, but still i think bud is gonna do the right thing because the rules failed the sport tonight

that is all
As bad as it is, it'll be worse for the sport if he overturns it. The reason is that MLB has been teasing for regular season replay for a long while, and this call will eventually be the selling point if it comes to pass. If he overturns it, he basically undermines his own authority of keeping the human element of the game. I personally would lose respect for him. It sucks, it REALLY sucks, but in the big picture... even though it's the biggest blown call in major league baseball history... :laugh: it's merely an individual impact since we all forget that the Tigers won the game. I initially wanted it to be overturned, but after calming down, the bst thing to do is let the controversy reign.

InsaneBlaze23
06-02-2010, 09:19 PM
I applaud your demeanor. If Davis Wells or Davis Cone lost their perfect game off of this call, I'd be ticked for the next few days. Even more ticked if it was a struggling pitcher. But you're right about Galarraga needing the performance.

Thank you.

If you look at his stats for the past few years with Detroit everyone posting in this thread would agree he need this performance.

DevilSpawn
06-02-2010, 09:20 PM
actually that blown call helped the royals win the world series. it was game 6 and the royals were down 3 games to 2 to the cardinals. They were down by 1 in the 9th and ended up winning in the 9th. in game 7, sanit lousis lost 11-0, so they cleary had the chance to recover from that call.
Aaah shoot. Thanks, I must've misheard it. I remember it now.

Sparky The Sun Devil
06-02-2010, 09:27 PM
Aaah shoot. Thanks, I must've misheard it. I remember it now.

i had never even heard of it till now....so thx

Sparky The Sun Devil
06-02-2010, 09:29 PM
As bad as it is, it'll be worse for the sport if he overturns it. The reason is that MLB has been teasing for regular season replay for a long while, and this call will eventually be the selling point if it comes to pass. If he overturns it, he basically undermines his own authority of keeping the human element of the game. I personally would lose respect for him. It sucks, it REALLY sucks, but in the big picture... even though it's the biggest blown call in major league baseball history... :laugh: it's merely an individual impact since we all forget that the Tigers won the game. I initially wanted it to be overturned, but after calming down, the bst thing to do is let the controversy reign.

I disagree with letting it die down....I think they will end up giving him official recognition and this will be the turning point in the instant replay debate with the men who actually make that decision

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
06-02-2010, 09:32 PM
I was impressed with the way he came out and basically said, "he cost the young man a piece of history".

That's vastly different from the way the umpire's union has been hiding behind their tradition in recent years.

IMO, baseball needs instant replay.

InsaneBlaze23
06-02-2010, 09:40 PM
I disagree with letting it die down....I think they will end up giving him official recognition and this will be the turning point in the instant replay debate with the men who actually make that decision

The thing is this is not a Instant replay type play.

A replay type play is when nobody knows what happen. This play was just a plain out mistake.

You see in the video he didn't look at the base till the Indians players hit the bag.
The ump made a mistake in didn't do his job.

The next thing is he has another game with the Tigers coming up soon. I'm from Detroit,I know he is a little scared for that game. Fans will be throwing stuff,yelling,etc.

Remember the basketball game between Pistons and Pacers? Detroit fans get very violent.

Broncoholic JS
06-02-2010, 10:52 PM
Don't know how long this will be on youtube, but WOOOOOOW

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hskaICmUgY

Karma will reward Armando with something I can feel it!

InsaneBlaze23
06-02-2010, 11:14 PM
Don't know how long this will be on youtube, but WOOOOOOW

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hskaICmUgY

Karma will reward Armando with something I can feel it!

Wow its already on Youtube.

DevilSpawn
06-03-2010, 06:35 AM
CONSPIRACY ALERT!
Jim Joyce is from Toledo, Ohio. Is he an Indians fan? :confused: