PDA

View Full Version : George Steinbrenner passes away at age 80.

LordTrychon
07-13-2010, 06:51 AM
Due to a heart attack. Just reported on ESPN via AP.

I'll go find a link.

Turned 80 on July 4th.

Rest in Peace, Mr. Steinbrenner.

LordTrychon
07-13-2010, 06:52 AM
http://www.sbnation.com/2010/7/13/1567163/george-steinbrenner-dead-suffering-massive-heart-attack-yankees-owner

LordTrychon
07-13-2010, 06:52 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/news/story?id=5375561

George Steinbrenner died Tuesday morning, a person close to the longtime New York Yankees owner told The Associated Press.

WABC-TV in New York reported that Steinbrenner, the Yankees' owner since 1973, suffered a massive heart attack.

According to reports, Steinbrenner, who celebrated his 80th birthday on July 4, was taken to a Tampa hospital after emergency crews responded to his home Monday night.

Steinbrenner gave his sons, Hal and Hank, day-to-day control of the team in late 2007.

He told The Associated Press last week that he was "feeling good" after spending a couple hours in his office at the Yankees' spring training complex.

Under his ownership, the Yankees have won 11 AL pennants and seven World Series titles.

DevilSpawn
07-13-2010, 07:19 AM
Man this is so sad. I know a lot of people talk about how he buys championships, but when he took over in 1973, he took over a sham of an organization that CBS didn't care about. He vowed to have the Yankees in the WS in three years and they got there. They lost that WS but won the next two. Very controversial figure, had his bad moments with the fans, but in the end, probably about the start of the early 90s, most if not all Yankees fans forgave him and loved him. R.I.P.

chazoe60
07-13-2010, 08:15 AM
RIP George.

For all the bad things said about him over the years, some true some not, there isn't a sports fan alive who wouldn't want their favorite team to be owned by someone with his zeal for winning.

keithbishop
07-13-2010, 08:24 AM
Man this is so sad. I know a lot of people talk about how he buys championships, but when he took over in 1973, he took over a sham of an organization that CBS didn't care about. He vowed to have the Yankees in the WS in three years and they got there. They lost that WS but won the next two. Very controversial figure, had his bad moments with the fans, but in the end, probably about the start of the early 90s, most if not all Yankees fans forgave him and loved him. R.I.P.

Amen.

It really bothered me that so many continued to blame George for everything when it was common knowledge that poor health prevented him from running the team the past few years. Even when it was announced 2 years ago that his sons, Hank and Hal, were running the team, many playing the blame game were either out of the loop or so in the habit of pointing the figure at George....

I was one of those who forgave George in the 90's. I always loved his passion for the game, but it wasn't until the 90's that he let baseball people: Gene Michael, Bob Watson, and Brian Cashman, run the team.

Love him or hate him, no owner in baseball history had as much of an impact on the game. Each and every Yankee fan was blessed thanks to Mr. Steinbrenner.

BroncosTX77
07-13-2010, 08:30 AM
Why am I not fazed. Seems like a part of me is sad he is gone, yet another part of me is doing back flips and sipping the bubbly~

At least now satan has his right hand man to buy him a championship and finally beat those dastardly Holy Rollers!

:rockon:

JakeNbake
07-13-2010, 10:40 AM
R.I.P George. Without you the game of baseball would not be the same. And I'd have no reason to hate the Yankees. And boy do I ever love to hate the Yankees.

So thank you for that

Frenchy180
07-13-2010, 11:14 AM
R.I.P George. Without you the game of baseball would not be the same. And I'd have no reason to hate the Yankees. And boy do I ever love to hate the Yankees.

So thank you for that

My thoughts exactly. Thank you Mr. Steinbrenner for being a great owner with far far too much money. You'll be missed.

LordTrychon
07-13-2010, 11:39 AM
As someone who is not a huge baseball fan...

I am not really on either side of the fence with him.

I can see though the vast impact he made not only on the outcome of the game from season to season... but the visibility of the game to those who don't follow too closely.

He was a public figure often in the middle of debate in the sports world, whether or not you were a baseball fan. If you follow sports at all... you were familiar with at least a little of it, thanks to him.

That's got value for the sport as a whole. :salute!:

LSIGRAD09
07-13-2010, 12:25 PM
RIP George, thanks for building the Yanks into the Powerhouse they are!

BroncoFanBoy
07-13-2010, 01:18 PM
it must suck to be a yankees fan right now. Steinbrenner was one of the greatest owners (not only in baseball) but in sports. he made the new york yankees outstanding and very popular.

R.I.P George Steinbrenner. my condolences to the Yankees organization and his family. :salute!:

Southstander
07-14-2010, 07:56 PM
May the Lord be with his family and all Yankees fans.