PDA

View Full Version : 2010 MLB trade deadline thread

BroncoFanBoy
07-23-2010, 12:51 PM
as i post this, it is 8 days from today where certiain players might be traded (e.x dan haren to phillies or Prince fielder to white sox)

we already had 1 trade and it was Cliff Lee being traded to the Rangers.

players on the market right now include:
Dan Haren - Diamondbacks
Roy Oswalt - Astros
Lance Berkman - Astros
David De Jesus - Royals
Adam Dunn - Nationals
Prince Fielder - Brewers
Corey Hart - Brewers
Cody Ross - Marlins
Jorge Cantu - Marlins
Dan Uggla - Marlins
Ty Wigginton - Orioles

where will all these players end up in 10 days from now? talk about it here

Broncos724
07-24-2010, 06:52 PM
Ty Wigginton to the Reds would be nice.

Southstander
07-24-2010, 06:54 PM
I hope my Sox get some help.

keithbishop
07-24-2010, 06:55 PM
David DeJesus is out for the year (fractured thumb).

ERoyal248
07-24-2010, 07:21 PM
Braves need another bat, i cant take watching McLouth play any more..

I hope we can get Cody Ross from the Marlins..

WhoDeyBengals
07-24-2010, 07:23 PM
Ty Wigginton to the Reds would be nice.

I think Cairo's done a fine job of filling in for Rolen, and he's about to come back anyhow. I don't see it happening.

It would be nice to get some relief help, but I don't really see anything I'd want if I were Walt Jocketty. Just sayin'. I doubt we make a move unless it's for a pitcher at a good price. Dan Haren's not happening because he'd prefer to be on the west coast with a contender, Oswalt is too pricy (although I bet the Reds dropped his price a bit tonight) and we really don't need help out in the field. The Reds hit the snot out of the ball pretty routinely, although they do have cold snaps. Getting Rolen back is all the help we need, IMO.

:2cents:

Thors Hammer
07-24-2010, 10:04 PM
Unless the Brewers get a spectacular offer for Fielder, he won't be traded. He is still under contract for next year, so there's no big hurry to move him.

BroncoFanBoy
07-24-2010, 11:19 PM
Rockies could use another starting pitcher and im not too happy with the play with ian stewart so i would like ty wiggington. we have a huge hole at first base right now since helton's out so i would also welcome jorge cantu.

thatkidhunt
07-24-2010, 11:23 PM
I just hope we get to keep Haren, he isnt having his best year but he also is stuck on a pretty awful team. It would especially suck to see him go to a team like the Yankees.

BroncoFanBoy
07-24-2010, 11:30 PM
I just hope we get to keep Haren, he isnt having his best year but he also is stuck on a pretty awful team. It would especially suck to see him go to a team like the Yankees.

as a rockies fan, i kinda hope the diamondbacks trade him so we don't have to deal with him. most of the time, we can't hit off of good pitching and haren is just that.

keithbishop
07-25-2010, 05:30 PM
Angels acquire Dan Haren
By Mike Axisa
Well, so much for that idea. The Angels have acquired Dan Haren from Arizona for Joe Saunders, prospects Patrick Corbin (ranked 12th in the Halos’ system by Baseball America), Rafael Rodriguez (22nd), and a player to be named later. The PTBNL is not Mike Trout, arguably the best prospect in the game, but instead a list of players the D-Backs can choose from.
http://www.riveravenueblues.com/

The PTBNL is supposed to be a very highly rated prospect. From the DBacks perspective, the PTBNL had better be damned good (for the record, that's assuming Haren's 2010 performance thus far is a bump in the road, not what he'll be in the future). Saunders doesn't impress me a bit (though his numbers will be better in the NL West than they were in the AL West) and he'll get a huge raise via arbitration this winter. He can be a free agent after next season. At only 4 games above .500 and trailing the Rangers by 6 games (8.5 GB in the wild card), the Angels HAD to do something drastic.

Another trade that will take a couple years to accurately judge.

Assuming Haren pitches like he did last year, good move for the Angels.

thatkidhunt
07-25-2010, 06:27 PM
Angels acquire Dan Haren
By Mike Axisa
Well, so much for that idea. The Angels have acquired Dan Haren from Arizona for Joe Saunders, prospects Patrick Corbin (ranked 12th in the Halos’ system by Baseball America), Rafael Rodriguez (22nd), and a player to be named later. The PTBNL is not Mike Trout, arguably the best prospect in the game, but instead a list of players the D-Backs can choose from.
http://www.riveravenueblues.com/

The PTBNL is supposed to be a very highly rated prospect. From the DBacks perspective, the PTBNL had better be damned good (for the record, that's assuming Haren's 2010 performance thus far is a bump in the road, not what he'll be in the future). Saunders doesn't impress me a bit (though his numbers will be better in the NL West than they were in the AL West) and he'll get a huge raise via arbitration this winter. He can be a free agent after next season. At only 4 games above .500 and trailing the Rangers by 6 games (8.5 GB in the wild card), the Angels HAD to do something drastic.

Another trade that will take a couple years to accurately judge.

Assuming Haren pitches like he did last year, good move for the Angels.

:(

:goz:

keithbishop
07-25-2010, 06:32 PM
:(

:goz:

Sorry, man. Has to be awful for DBacks fans. Sounds like the 4th player will be a top 4 Angels prospect, but the #12 and #22 isn't inspiring. I hope Saunders does well for you.

thatkidhunt
07-25-2010, 06:36 PM
Sorry, man. Has to be awful for DBacks fans. Sounds like the 4th player will be a top 4 Angels prospect, but the #12 and #22 isn't inspiring. I hope Saunders does well for you.

Thanks, its sad times. Barry Enright has been a bright spot.

BroncoFanBoy
07-25-2010, 09:15 PM
Dan Haren - Traded to angels
Roy Oswalt - Latest: He would like to be traded to the Cardinals and they're looking to add him. Twins are also interested.
Lance Berkman - Not too much info on him right now, but the white sox are interested.
David De Jesus - out for season
Adam Dunn - Yankees and Tigers have interest
Prince Fielder - Brewers not too intersted in trading him, but will if they get a really good offer. White Sox interested
Corey Hart - no info on him currently
Cody Ross - Marlins unlikely going to trade him
Jorge Cantu - Rangers have a great interest in adding Cantu. The Rockies are also interested (:D)
Dan Uggla - Marlins unlikely going to move Uggla
Ty Wigginton - Rangers, Rockies, Giants and Angels are interested in Wiggington. Texas sent 3 scouts to watch the Orioles play the Twins.

My predictions:
Oswalt - Phillies
Berkman - stays in houston
Dunn: Yankees
Fielder: stays in Milwaukee
Hart: idk yet but ill say brewers
Cantu: Rockies. we need Cantu. we have a huge hole at first base right now and we will in the future if we don't get cantu.
Wiggington: Rangers. if they're that interested, they will likely give up solid prospects and baltimore can't pass that up.

keithbishop
07-26-2010, 07:24 AM
Washington is asking for a ton in exchange for Dunn. Can't blame them for doing so, but I also can't see Brian Cashman giving up a lot for a rental player not named Cliff Lee. Perhaps I'll be surprised, but I can't see Dunn in pinstripes. Dunn would net draft picks if he left as a FA, so that could possibly make Cashman more willing to deal prospects. If I'm the Nationals, however, I'd ask for the moon in exchange for Dunn, knowing, worst case, I'd net 2 picks next summer if he leaves.

If the Yankees go big, let it be Joakim Soria.

The Yankees will always be linked to damned near every big named available player. The Yankees have a good list of prospects other teams are interested in. Remember how they were going to sign Matt Holliday, Jason Bay, and John Lackey last winter? They didn't make an offer to any of the three, but they were tied to them in rumorville.

Something to keep in mind: Hal Steinbrenner vetoed Cashman's request to trade for Brewers CF Mike Cameron last season. Hal wasn't willing to raise the budget (believe it or not, Hal sets a budget) to add Cameron. The deal would have also sent Kei Igawa and 75% or so of his $8 mil. remaining 2010/2011 salary..... and the Yankees would pay 40% luxury tax on Igawa (they only have to do so if he's traded or released-- he isn't on the 40 man roster) and Cameron, so the actual hit would have been $14 mil. to add Cameron/ subtract Igawa, Maybe Hal didn't think Cameron was worth it.

After passing on Cameron, the Yankees traded 3 non prospects for role players Jerry Hairston Jr., Chad Gaudin, and Eric Hinske. The 3 cost a combined $2.18 mil. (including luxury tax) and all 3 contributed to the championship run. Were it not for season ending injuries to Chien Ming Wang and Xavier Nady, I doubt they would have made any trades.

Bottom line: Yes, the Yankees would go over budget and trade top prospects to add Lee or Haren, but I'm not sure they do that for a DH. I suppose it would depend on how well Cashman sold a proposal to Hal. Someone like Scott Downs and/or Wigginton are players I could see the Yankees getting.

Southstander
07-26-2010, 03:49 PM
EPSNBoston.com is reporting that the Sox are willing to trade Manny Delcarman and Ramon Ramirez.

JakeNbake
07-26-2010, 04:00 PM
My Giants could use another Bat. Although Posey is tearing that up.

BroncoFanBoy
07-26-2010, 11:54 PM
EPSNBoston.com is reporting that the Sox are willing to trade Manny Delcarman and Ramon Ramirez.

we'll give ya hawpe, betancourt, one of our best prospects, eric young jr, and arron cook. deal? :D

keithbishop
07-27-2010, 06:26 AM

And, in a stunning turn of events, the Yankees want to trade Chan Ho Park. :eek:

Betcha he'll fetch a pretty big return.

27 year old AA middle reliever? Crappy ML reliever with a bad contract? The possibilities are endless. ;)

keithbishop
07-27-2010, 06:29 AM
My Giants could use another Bat. Although Posey is tearing that up.

Sounds like they're taking a long look at Jose Guillen.

Southstander
07-27-2010, 01:18 PM
Boston is looking to acquire Michael Weurtz from Oakland.

Southstander
07-27-2010, 01:20 PM
we'll give ya hawpe, betancourt, one of our best prospects, eric young jr, and arron cook. deal? :D

I would take a half eaten Rockie dog for Manny.

Southstander
07-28-2010, 04:05 PM
The Tigers have aquired 3B-SS Jhonny Peralta form the Indians for P Giovanni Soto.

keithbishop
07-29-2010, 06:13 AM
Phillies have a trade in place for Oswalt. Waiting on Oswalt's permission.

Bronco51
07-29-2010, 10:27 AM
Phillies have a trade in place for Oswalt. Waiting on Oswalt's permission.

Oswalt plans to accept the trade according to ESPN.

PhillyBronco24
07-29-2010, 11:49 AM
Oswalt plans to accept the trade according to ESPN.

If he does accept the phils have a nasty rotation. And one heck of a one two punch with halladay and oswalt. :D

WhoDeyBengals
07-29-2010, 11:58 AM
I am SO glad that Roy Oswalt is leaving the NL Central. Buh. Bye.

The Reds beat him three times in like 25 decisions. Could not be happier to see him go. :wave:

keithbishop
07-29-2010, 12:14 PM
Oswalt Approves Phillies Deal; Option Won't Be Exercised
By Tim Dierkes [July 29 at 1:53pm CST]
1:53pm: The deal is done, tweets Rosenthal. Piecing this together, it appears the Astros send Oswalt and $11MM to the Phillies for Happ, Gose, and Villar, with the Phils potentially adding $1MM to Oswalt's buyout but not exercising his option.

1:44pm: Rosenthal tweets that Oswalt's option is actually a mutual one. With the trade, his buyout will increase from $1MM to $2MM if the Phillies pick up the option and he declines, and remain at $2MM "if he simply opts out on his own." Rosenthal adds that the third player in the deal will be shortstop prospect Jonathan Villar. Some sources spell it Villan, including the Baseball America Handbook.
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

I still don't understand why they traded Cliff Lee.

Note on Astros: Any time a billionaire owner kicks in $11 mil. of the roughly $23 mil. (or $37 mil. if the Phillies pick up Oswalt's 2012 option) owed to a player his team trades, he forever loses the right to cry about $$ in baseball.

Southstander
07-29-2010, 04:42 PM
Rangers get Cantu from Florida for two Minor League pitchers.

Southstander
07-29-2010, 08:01 PM
Twins get Capp from the Nats.

BroncoFanBoy
07-29-2010, 11:50 PM
Padres get Miguel Tejada from Orioles

Kno-Sean
07-30-2010, 09:53 AM
Twins get Capp from the Nats.

Twins give up #2 overall prospect for a much needed closer, an All-Star closer i might add.

We weren't going to get a solid closer without giving up somebody good, why not trade a kid who is behind the league's defending MVP?

JakeNbake
07-30-2010, 10:26 AM
Sources tell Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com that the Rockies would be willing to move Aaron Cook for a bullpen piece and a prospect.

That's real nice of them and all, but Cook is guaranteed approximately $12 million through the end of 2011. The Cardinals have some payroll flexibility and the need for a starting pitcher, but that would be a poor use of funds.

Rotoworld

ahhhhhhhhhhhh

BroncoFanBoy
07-30-2010, 11:28 AM
Rotoworld

ahhhhhhhhhhhh

i wouldn't mind trading cook. he sucks this season plus it would free up some cap space and help your bullpen. maybe to toronto for gregg and a prospect. possibly send hawpe too

BroncoFanBoy
07-30-2010, 02:31 PM
http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20100730&content_id=12805248&vkey=tradedeadline2010&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

CHICAGO -- Edwin Jackson became a member of the White Sox on Friday, traded to Chicago from Arizona in exchange for right-handed pitcher Daniel Hudson and Minor League hurler David Holmberg. But Jackson might not want to pick out a permanent residence in the Windy City quite yet.

With the Nationals interested in the right-hander and the White Sox interested in first baseman Adam Dunn, who would serve primarily as a designated hitter for the South Siders, general manager Ken Williams could flip Jackson to Washington in exchange for the left-handed slugger. In a text to MLB.com Friday afternoon, Dunn said he was still a member of the Nationals and had not heard anything to the contrary.

No announcement has been made as of yet on Friday's starter for the White Sox, taking the place of the traded Hudson. Lucas Harrell, who is on the White Sox 40-man roster and on turn to pitch Friday, could be called up from Triple-A Charlotte to make the spot start. Long reliever Tony Pena, who has asked manager Ozzie Guillen for a chance to start, also could get the call.

BroncoFanBoy
07-30-2010, 02:50 PM
Lance Berkman (according to twitter) is very close to being traded to.......

http://www.sportslogos.net/images/logos/53/68/full/7205.gif

Southstander
07-30-2010, 03:15 PM
Berkman is not in the line up so the deal with the Yanks is very close.

Southstander
07-30-2010, 03:51 PM
The Red Sox are interesting in trading for the Brewers Jim Edmonds.

Southstander
07-30-2010, 03:55 PM
The deal will be offical tomorrow but the Yanks get Berkman.

keithbishop
07-30-2010, 04:11 PM
Yankees acquire Lance Berkman
By Mike Axisa in Trade Deadline, Transactions. Tags: Lance Berkman · Comments (217) ·

(AP Photo/David J. Phillip)

The Yankees have their new designated hitter. Joel Sherman reports that the team has acquired Lance Berkman from the Astros, and the only thing standing in the way is a Collective Bargaining Agreement mandated 24-hour grace period because of Berkman’s 10-and-5 no-trade rights. The five-time All Star agreed to the deal earlier today, so the wait is nothing more than a technicality. Ken Davidoff says the Astros are expected to receive an unknown “non-prospect minor leaguer” in return, and Bob Klapisch says the team might have some other things cooking beyond this deal.

I'm fine with this, assuming it is a non prospect (at least a non top 15 prospect). DH Nick Johnson has resumed baseball activities, but hasn't taken batting practice yet, so he isn't close to a rehab assignment, much less re-joining the team. If he returns to the Yankees by Sept. 1st, I'll be surprised.

Didn't really see this move coming, but Dunn will cost too much in terms of prospects. It would definitely take at least a top 5 prospect, possibly 2 top 10 prospects. Berkman isn't what he used to be , but is a solid player who has been hitting well the past 2 months. He'll like being in a pennant race alongside his friend Andy Pettitte. He can go back to the Astros this winter.

Jeter R
Swisher S
Teixeira S
A-Rod R
Cano L
Posada S
Granderson L
Berkman S
Gardner L

would be my lineup. Nice.

More good news for WhoDey's Reds. :thumb:

Southstander
07-31-2010, 02:49 PM
Yanks get Kerry Wood from the Indians.

Sox send both Ramon Ramirez's to SF for Dan Turpen and Dustin Richardson.

Boston also gets Salty from the Rangerz for Chris McGuinnes and Ramon Mendez

keithbishop
07-31-2010, 03:10 PM
It will be interesting to see how many post deadline trades go through. I'm sure Boston or the Rays would make a waiver claim, blocking anyone the Yankees were interested in (relief pitcher and utility infielder, for example). Boston and/or the Rays could still get someone who could help.