PDA

View Full Version : Rolando Mcclain signs, highest pick to sign

RaiderFanSD
07-29-2010, 12:14 AM
http://twitter.com/adam_schefter

Early this a.m., the Raiders signed their first-round pick, LB Rolando McClain. No missed time, a la JaMarcus, for him.

BroncoFanBoy
07-29-2010, 01:01 AM
the LB i wanted :mad:

that it for oakland? all their picks signed?

RaiderFanSD
07-29-2010, 01:19 AM
Yeah all of em are signed.

12and4
07-29-2010, 01:59 AM
:( i wanted mcclain...

Chillez
07-29-2010, 02:03 AM
Man going to suck playing against Rolando McClain 2x a year he was one

player I wanted in 2010 draft and of all places he goes to Oakland

Radiers... :cheeky:

Chillez
07-29-2010, 02:05 AM
:( i wanted mcclain...

Same here man. :sad:

Sonic Raider
08-05-2010, 01:03 PM
And here is an article on what McClain has been up to in Training Camp

NAPA -- Raiders quarterback Jason Campbell thought he had seen it all during his first five NFL seasons. That was until he challenged middle linebacker Rolando McClain, and discovered McClain isn't an ordinary rookie.

Campbell dropped back during Sunday's practice, waited for the receiver to get open and fired the ball for what he thought would be a sure completion. McClain stepped in front of the pass, leaped and snared it before the receiver had a chance to react.

Day by day, McClain is validating the Raiders' selection of him with the eighth pick in the NFL draft in April and making people forget about Kirk Morrison in short order.

"I have been throwing that pass ever since I have been in the league, and he jumped as high as he could get and stretched out and caught it," Campbell said. "It's one of those interceptions where you can't even get mad because the guy made an outstanding play."

Such plays have become the norm for McClain as he cements himself as the successor to Morrison, the team's leading tackler the past five seasons.

Morrison and linebacker Thomas Howard both started their rookie seasons for the Raiders. They cracked the starting lineup right away as much because of the lack of talent on the roster as their rapid development.

The Raiders anointed McClain the starter two days after they selected him, by trading Morrison to the Jacksonville Jaguars.

So far, McClain has shown he is ready to make the transition from college to the NFL, just as he made a seamless jump from high school standout to immediate starter at the University of Alabama.

"It's still early, but you like what you see," Howard said. "If I had drafted the guy at No. 8 and I see what he's doing, I would say, 'OK, I like what I have so far.' He has a lot of room to grow, but you like what you have so far."

What the Raiders have is a 6-foot-3, 255-pound linebacker who studies the playbook like a quarterback, knows the defense like a seasoned veteran and takes charge of the defense.

"It's a little bit of (he) gets it," Raiders coach Tom Cable said. "He does study, but he has a great feel for his depth and where he needs to be. He's a good communicator; he kind of sees where the play starts and kind of gets himself in a position where he can have the depth to get underneath those balls. That interception was a heck of a play."

Safety Michael Huff was the seventh pick of the 2006 NFL draft and started his rookie season, too. He said he is impressed by McClain's ability to stand out so early.

"He's playing the pass, playing the run," Huff said. "First nine-on-seven (Monday), he took on a fullback and made a tackle. (If) we get that, it's going to make my job on the back end a lot easier."

Not to mention the process of getting fans to embrace a trade that sent Morrison, an Oakland native and longtime linchpin, packing.

Morrison entered his first NFL regular-season game as a substitute and started the next 79 games. Yet, he was deemed expendable once McClain was in the fold.

Cable views McClain as the key piece of his drastic makeover of a linebacking corps he called the weakest link of the team last season.

McClain isn't sure what all the fuss about, he said. He simply is doing what he has done since high school.

"It's a little bit of everything, from film study and just knowing football, period," McClain said. "I had a good coach (Nick Saban) in college, a great coach, and he taught me route recognition and being able to recognize a route from where guys line up. I was able to do that when I got the interception."

The interception wasn't just a case of Campbell making a poor throw or McClain being in the right place at the proper time, either.

"The guy is big, strong and can move, and you can tell playing under Saban he is a smart linebacker," Campbell said. "Even if you look him off, he can tell what you're trying to do."

http://www.insidebayarea.com/raiders/ci_15670959

LSIGRAD09
08-05-2010, 01:25 PM
Heheh, after Dumervil, we could certainly use McClain.:sad:

RaiderFanSD
08-05-2010, 02:38 PM
Heheh, after Dumervil, we could certainly use McClain.:sad:

Eh, they play different positions so he really wouldn't help in terms of your guys pass rush.

RaiderFanSD
08-05-2010, 02:42 PM
Steve Wyche on McClain today

McClain is the real deal. Okay, he hasn't played in a game yet, so I'm not crowning him. But his instincts are off the charts. The cerebral middle linebacker has the speed and innate football sense to be around the ball against the run and in pass coverage. He's a legit three-down player whose feel for the game is impressive. I was really taken with how he played in pass coverage.

Nice to hear that one of our 1st rounders might make an impact right away.. compared to years' past.

LSIGRAD09
08-05-2010, 02:46 PM
Eh, they play different positions so he really wouldn't help in terms of your guys pass rush.

:sad::sad::sad:

DevilSpawn
08-05-2010, 02:50 PM
I'm getting revved to see Lamaar Houston.

RaiderFanSD
08-05-2010, 07:40 PM
I'm getting revved to see Lamaar Houston.

So am I. :D

hawaiian_broncohalic
08-19-2010, 10:27 AM
Go mcclain go
R
O
L
L
TIDE ROLLLLLLLLLL
And the raiders need to give brennon chance

RaiderFanSD
08-20-2010, 01:13 AM
Made this about a week and a half ago, my first ever highlight vid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_K1i_EpswI

If you're wondering why some stuff was added in there it was meant to show what he brings whether it's in zone coverage, man coverage, speed, gap control, ability to read and diagnose plays, etc.

Watch in 1080p

RaiderFanSD
08-20-2010, 01:17 AM
Oh, and I don't know why all the draft sites said his weakness is coverage.. IMO he's actually better in coverage than what they said was one of his strengths, shedding blocks. Overall, I was extremely impressed by what I saw from him in coverage.

We will know more when the Raiders put on pads Monday, but Rolando McClain looks like he could be a special player. Everyone knew about the thumping he puts on running backs, his intelligence and love for watching film, plus the leadership he demonstrated in helping Alabama win a national title.

But who could have guessed McClain was a pass-covering demon? Some scouts had said he would be off the field on passing downs, but those scouts weren't in attendance Saturday when he timed his break perfectly and leaped high to pick off a Jason Campbell pass across the middle.

He also nearly had another pick and has looked sharp throughout the past four days.

"He is an extreme talent," Campbell said. "The guy is 6-4 with a 37-inch vertical. I have been throwing that pass ever since I have been in the league and he jumped as high as he could get and stretched out and caught it. It's one of those interceptions where you really can't even get mad because he made an outstanding play.

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/raiders/detail?entry_id=69157#ixzz0xE5ddciY

Stuff like that just reinforces what I saw on "film".