PDA

View Full Version : Phillies Fan Jailed for Vomiting on Child

Alastor
08-05-2010, 07:00 AM
Remember Mathew Clemmens, the 21 year-old Phillies fan that puked on a dad and his daughter at a game last season?

If not, here's a pic for you:

http://i.i.com.com/cnwk.1d/i/cbsnews/2010/04/16/image6403319x.jpg

Well the dad turned out to be an off-duty cop, so he knew that bodily fluids constituted assault.

Clemmens will now spend 30 days in prison, do 50 hours of community service, spend two years on probation and pay the child $315 in restitution - for assault on a child.

Here's a blurb (http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE6712U320100802) on it.

BroncoFanBoy
08-05-2010, 08:27 AM
guys like him make me sick.

Alastor
08-05-2010, 08:32 AM
That's not very punny.

ebsoria
08-05-2010, 08:44 AM
Surprised they didn't register him as a sex offender while they were at it.

Chronic_Toker
08-05-2010, 08:50 AM
Glad to hear he got what he deserved. It looks like he got another form of punishment in that pic too.

BroncoFanBoy
08-05-2010, 09:01 AM
That's not very punny.

not trying to be.

Alastor
08-05-2010, 09:06 AM
Surprised they didn't register him as a sex offender while they were at it.

I kind of am too, but assault on a child isn't the same as sexual assault. I thought the bodily fluids might do it, but I guess it is different because of the motive and nature of it.

So it's just simple assault.

ebsoria
08-05-2010, 09:20 AM
I kind of am too, but assault on a child isn't the same as sexual assault. I thought the bodily fluids might do it, but I guess it is different because of the motive and nature of it.

So it's just simple assault.

True. Intent and nature I'm sure had a lot to do with it. But, if he had a candy bar in his hand and it was pointed in the direction of the child, he'd be toast.

Alastor
08-05-2010, 09:23 AM
True. Intent and nature I'm sure had a lot to do with it. But, if he had a candy bar in his hand and it was pointed in the direction of the child, he'd be toast.

Also, what he did was asinine, but I'm not sure a 21 year-old should be branded for life for it.

He made poor choices. If we held ourselves or say... Brandon Marshall to this same standard, what would be the result?

It's horrendous what he did, no doubt, but should it really impact him forever? He's already pleaded guilty to a felony. That's going to be on his record forever...

He'll never be employed by the government. He won't be a cop, a doctor, a lawyer, a teacher, or a daycare worker. He can't be hired in any hospital for any reason.

He'll barely be able to get a job at McDonald's, and only if they skip the background check on him which they increasingly do less of.

Dude's already screwed for life.

ebsoria
08-05-2010, 09:28 AM
Also, what he did was asinine, but I'm not sure a 21 year-old should be branded for life for it.

He made poor choices. If we held ourselves or say... Brandon Marshall to this same standard, what would be the result?

It's horrendous what he did, no doubt, but should it really impact him forever? He's already pleaded guilty to a felony. That's going to be on his record forever...

He'll never be employed by the government. He won't be a cop, a doctor, a lawyer, a teacher, or a daycare worker. He can't be hired in any hospital for any reason.

He'll barely be able to get a job at McDonald's, and only if they skip the background check on him which they increasingly do less of.

Dude's already screwed for life.

Oh, I agree. But, I also tend to take a much harsher stance when it involves children. On the one hand... an imature 18 year old taking a leak in a bush near a school get's listed on the offender list for life. However... he could be a model citizen for the next 50 years, volunteering for charities, never get's into trouble, donates to children aimed programs, follows the line to a "t", yeah, he shouldn't be branded for life and still suffer the consequences when he's 68 and playing Santa at Christmas in the children's burn unit at the local hospital.

That being said, I'll reiterate... when it comes to "assault" at, on or towards children? Yeah... no games. No dice. Suffer until you prove you don't deserve it.

But this could get political, so I'm gonna stop right there.

Alastor
08-05-2010, 09:34 AM
Suffer until you prove you don't deserve it.

I believe this statement speaks for me. When someone shows they have reformed, let them have their life back.

ebsoria
08-05-2010, 09:37 AM
I believe this statement speaks for me. When someone shows they have reformed, let them have their life back.

Yep. I agree.

Spice 1
08-05-2010, 10:35 AM
Judging from the pic, Mat's lawyer sucks.

broncsfan21
08-05-2010, 04:50 PM
If that black eye came from the dad, he should face assault charges too.

MightyHorse
08-05-2010, 05:23 PM
If that black eye came from the dad, he should face assault charges too.

You're kidding right? If a dude did that to my son it would be a whole lot worse than one dotted eye the fat idiot got off lucky.

broncsfan21
08-05-2010, 06:29 PM
You're kidding right? If a dude did that to my son it would be a whole lot worse than one dotted eye the fat idiot got off lucky.

I'm just saying their are two ways to settle these kind of things.

The way I would do it would be to kick the guys butt, which is all I think he needed. Since the guy in question was a cop, and the kid puked on his daughter, I don't think he would face any ramifications.

The second is to press charges and let the law take care of it. But if you're gonna do that, I feel that you should probably stay within the laws boundaries i.e. not kicking the crap out of the guy.

I think all the guy deserved was a good beatdown. It'll get the point across, and he probably won't do it again. Pressing charges gave this guy a felony that he's going to have to deal with the rest of his life, and chances are he isn't going to be a frat boy party mode for the majority of that duration.

Alastor
08-05-2010, 06:31 PM
I'm just saying their are two ways to settle these kind of things.

The way I would do it would be to kick the guys butt, which is all I think he needed. Since the guy in question was a cop, and the kid puked on his daughter, I don't think he would face any ramifications.

The second is to press charges and let the law take care of it. But if you're gonna do that, I feel that you should probably stay within the laws boundaries i.e. not kicking the crap out of the guy.

If I recall right, it was not the father of the child that gave the black eye. I'm pretty sure other fans did that.

broncsfan21
08-05-2010, 06:33 PM
If I recall right, it was not the father of the child that gave the black eye. I'm pretty sure other fans did that.

Fair enough then. I have no issue with that.

Peerless
08-05-2010, 06:49 PM
What a fat slob. He's no different than that saliva accumulation at the corners of my mouth when I'm thirsty.