PDA

View Full Version : Chargers Grant Seahawks Permission to Discuss V Jax

JakeNbake
08-20-2010, 03:19 PM
Vincent Jackson-WR-Chargers Aug. 20 - 5:53 pm et

The Chargers have granted the Seahawks permission to discuss contract terms with unsigned and disgruntled wide receiver Vincent Jackson.

The story is confirmed by Seahawks GM John Schneider, so it's legit. While Yahoo's Jason Cole admits that "no significant progress has occurred to this point," sources say Chargers GM A.J. Smith is now "committed" to trading V-Jax. The Bolts are convinced he will not play for them this year. The Seahawks have clearly been underwhelmed with Deion Branch, and T.J. Houshmandzadeh is hardly a difference maker anymore. Jackson would give Seattle a bonafide deep threat who can dominate in the red zone and run game as a blocker.

Hopefully you guys can get something for him.

LordTrychon
08-20-2010, 03:24 PM
Give him to Miami! :beer:

:laugh:

Sorry guys... kinda know how this feels... it sucks it didn't work out better... but it'll be good when it's over and you can stop hearing about it, hopefully.

Chargerbomb
08-20-2010, 03:26 PM
Great news. I can't think of any players the Seahawks have that they would be willing to part with, but draft picks are always nice. And I can always fantasize about some crazy deal in which Lofa Tatupu ends up in San Diego.

As for the WR position, I have a ton of confidence in Naanee to pick up the slack. Buster Davis may finally show his talents as well. VJ is / was an incredible talent, but there is only 1 irreplaceable guy on the Chargers, #17 Philly Cheese.

LSIGRAD09
08-20-2010, 03:26 PM
Fantasy nightmare right there!

I know SD has other weapons, but why VJax? Seahawks have less chance to make the SB, that's no good.

RaiderFanSD
08-20-2010, 03:30 PM
I don't like SD piling up all these picks. I'm inclined to think Rivers made Jackson instead of the other way around. Rivers will be fine with who he's currently got Naanee, Floyd, Gates, Sproles & Mathews running the ball.

Chargerbomb
08-20-2010, 03:31 PM
The Chargers have granted permission to the Seattle Seahawks to talk to receiver Vincent Jackson.

According to league sources, a stalemate has been reached because Jackson’s agents are asking for $30 million guaranteed on a five-year, $50 million contract.

The Seahawks’ interest has long been known, and the Seahawks confirmed to Yahoo! Sports they have spoken to Jackson’s agent. The sides have been talking for at least several days, according to a league source.

The same sources said the asking price from the Chargers is a second-rounder.

At this point, I'll take a 2nd round pick for VJ. It sure would've been nice to have that 2nd rounder in the loaded 2010 draft, however.

Chargerbomb
08-20-2010, 03:34 PM
I don't like SD piling up all these picks. I'm inclined to think Rivers made Jackson instead of the other way around. Rivers will be fine with who he's currently got Naanee, Floyd, Gates, Sproles & Mathews running the ball.

Make no mistake, VJ is a freak of nature at 6'5, 240 with speed and leaping abilities. He can get wide open down the field like few other receivers in the league.

We may see a return to more ball-control and shorter passes from the Chargers this season. Naanee, Reed and Davis don't have the same field-stretching ability, but they are probably better underneath.

ERoyal248
08-20-2010, 03:45 PM

They will get what, a 2nd or 3rd from Cromartie and a 2nd rounder if they trade VJ..

Floyd is good, but if they trade VJ how will Floyd do against #1 CB's instead of #2 CB's.. Naanee is solid, but more of a possession WR, same with Floyd, how does he do against #2 type CB's..

Davis hasn't put it together yet, and Reed, possession WR.. Matthews is just a rookie, and Sproles is good on 3rd down, KR/PR, screens.. We all know how good Gates is..

Amari24
08-20-2010, 04:06 PM
I think they'll be lucky to get a 2nd for him at this point. But at least the FO and team can move on if they do indeed trade him..

Chargerbomb
08-20-2010, 04:18 PM
They will get what, a 2nd or 3rd from Cromartie and a 2nd rounder if they trade VJ..

Floyd is good, but if they trade VJ how will Floyd do against #1 CB's instead of #2 CB's.. Naanee is solid, but more of a possession WR, same with Floyd, how does he do against #2 type CB's..

Davis hasn't put it together yet, and Reed, possession WR.. Matthews is just a rookie, and Sproles is good on 3rd down, KR/PR, screens.. We all know how good Gates is..

Chargers already have 2 3rd round picks and 2 2nd rounders next year, as long as Cro stays healthy and/or the Jets make the playoffs. The extra 3rd came by way of the Whitehurst trade. Unfortunately, next year's draft probably won't be very strong as a result of all those underclassmen declaring this year.

Neither Floyd nor Naanee are possession receivers. Floyd almost led the league in yards per reception, for chrissakes. Naanee is a big guy with good speed, great hands and leaping ability. He will make plays down the field as well, although not as many as VJ made.

Chargerbomb
08-20-2010, 04:21 PM
I think they'll be lucky to get a 2nd for him at this point. But at least the FO and team can move on if they do indeed trade him..

They just need to get the Seahawks and the Redskins in a bidding war for VJ's services. 1 of those 2 teams will overpay. If there is a major injury to a contending team's top WR before the trade deadline, we may see that team come into play as well.

Hadez
08-21-2010, 10:08 AM
Sucks he has to go but Gates could always pick up the production.

Agree with the comment the guy who matters most is Rivers

McSmashie
08-21-2010, 12:28 PM
Ok, maybe I am being a conspiracy theorist here, but this doesnt make a ton of sense to me.

In the offseason, Seattle would given up picks for Marshall so I wonder why SD is putting all their eggs in one basket.

St Louis, Buffalo, Cardinals or 49ers could also use receiving help. Why not give him permission to talk to those guys too? Besides, they might even get a mini bidding war going and come up with another pick or two.

Just seems weird to narrow permission down to one team.

d-bronx42
08-21-2010, 01:48 PM

This.

If the Charger fans really think they can maintain what they did last year without V-Jax their beyond crazy... He is a match up nightmare that will immediately takes away their best weapon. Getting him out of the AFCW is going to be awesome.

Floyd is much like a Jabar Gaffney. They are an awesome #2 WR, but if asked to carry the load and go against #1 CB's for 16 weeks they are not going to be nearly as effective. Then Naanee is your 2nd option? Seriously? They have HORRIBLE depth at WR.

Getting a 2nd round pick is not going to match what Jackson brought to the Chargers. Not even close...

I see the division being a 3 team race when he leaves. Its going to be an awesome year.

Chargerbomb
08-21-2010, 01:56 PM
This.

If the Charger fans really think they can maintain what they did last year without V-Jax their beyond crazy... He is a match up nightmare that will immediately takes away their best weapon. Getting him out of the AFCW is going to be awesome.

Floyd is much like a Jabar Gaffney. They are an awesome #2 WR, but if asked to carry the load and go against #1 CB's for 16 weeks they are not going to be nearly as effective. Then Naanee is your 2nd option? Seriously? They have HORRIBLE depth at WR.

Getting a 2nd round pick is not going to match what Jackson brought to the Chargers. Not even close...

I see the division being a 3 team race when he leaves. Its going to be an awesome year.

I'm sorry that you are not familiar with Naanee's abilities. He is a very talented player who simply hasn't had the opportunity to break out yet. Expect that to happen this year.

The passing game won't suffer a whole lot, since Rivers spreads the ball around so much and Gates is truly the #1 guy in the passing game. This isn't like the Broncos offense, which threw it to Marshall like 30% of the time.

Fargo
08-21-2010, 01:58 PM
I'm sorry that you are not familiar with Naanee's abilities. He is a very talented player who simply hasn't had the opportunity to break out yet. Expect that to happen this year.

The passing game won't suffer a whole lot, since Rivers spreads the ball around so much and Gates is truly the #1 guy in the passing game. This isn't like the Broncos offense, which threw it to Marshall like 30% of the time.

What about McNeil? Passing gets a lot tougher without an LT to protect the quarterback.

Both hold-outs hurt the offense, as much as they deserve to get put in their place.

McSmashie
08-21-2010, 02:01 PM
What about McNeil? Passing gets a lot tougher without an LT to protect the quarterback.

Both hold-outs hurt the offense, as much as they deserve to get put in their place.

I will say this, the reports out of Sandy Eggo are saying that this Dombrowski guy and one of there young guys.....Green?.....have been playing well.

Just out of fairness....It will never happen again. :D

Chargerbomb
08-21-2010, 02:05 PM

Very good point. McNeill's loss hurts a lot more than V Jax's, IMO. No doubt the loss of both puts a damper on their ability to stretch the field, since Rivers will have less time to throw and they lose their top deep threat.

I would expect more short-to-intermediate passes this year. The deep-ball thing was very effective the past 2 seasons, but Rivers made his reputation in college as a west-coast, short-passing game guy. Norv, although a bad head coach, is a brilliant coordinator. I'm sure that adjustments will be made to keep the offense playing efficiently.

Fargo
08-21-2010, 02:12 PM
Very good point. McNeill's loss hurts a lot more than V Jax's, IMO. No doubt the loss of both puts a damper on their ability to stretch the field, since Rivers will have less time to throw and they lose their top deep threat.

I would expect more short-to-intermediate passes this year. The deep-ball thing was very effective the past 2 seasons, but Rivers made his reputation in college as a west-coast, short-passing game guy. Norv, although a bad head coach, is a brilliant coordinator. I'm sure that adjustments will be made to keep the offense playing efficiently.

Fair enough. A real fear though is injuries when you lose that many bodies in one position. It's really hit the Ravens, Patriots, Panthers, and Broncos hard too.

Hope you guys keep strong though. I have a feeling AFCW is on the rise.

Bernie24
09-01-2010, 06:46 PM

Sproles is a situational player. So is Naanee.

Gates is grea but old few years left. Matthews is unproven so far.

Floyd though underrated isn't amazing by any means.

Meh.

BroncoFanBoy
09-01-2010, 08:58 PM
might as well add another team to this v-jax mix: http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/playerbreakingnews.asp?sport=NFL&id=3202&line=179995&spln=1

Kevin Acee of the San Diego Union-Tribune has "heard speculation...from an NFL person" that the Rams will call the Chargers about the availability of unsigned restricted free agent Vincent Jackson.
With Donnie Avery on I.R. and Keenan Burton (knee) shut down, now is the time if the Rams are going to make a move. Acee does make it clear that this is not a report and only "speculation," but confirms that "more than Seattle has called" about Jackson. In a wide-open NFC West, the Rams could take a big jump with an improved passing attack. It doesn't hurt that V-Jax would also help Steven Jackson as one of the NFL's top run-blocking wideouts. Aug. 31 - 8:07 pm et

Chargerbomb
09-02-2010, 09:21 AM
It's a big week for Vincent Jackson and the Chargers.

The Chargers put him on the roster exempt list, which means that he is required to miss a minimum of 3 games, starting when he reports to (any) team. Obviously he can't report while he is suspended by the league. So if he is gonna get dealt, it makes sense to do it by the end of the week, so that he can report immediately and avoid having to sit out an additional 3 games after his 3-game league suspension.

The question is whether the Chargers even want to deal him. Lord AJ works in mysterious ways, and his allowing only the Seahawks permission to negotiate with VJax's agents is a very curious move. Maybe AJ just wants to show Jackson that his contract demands are ridiculous, by having another team laugh at them. Maybe he thinks the Seahawks are suckers after the Whitehurst trade. Maybe he refuses to consider trading to teams who look competitive this year. I don't know.

But right now, the Seahawks, Rams, Vikings and Redskins all make sense as possible destinations. If VJ is traded, I would bet it is to one of those 4 teams.

The other variable is whether VJax would come back and play starting in week 11, in order to accrue another year towards free-agency. It is an open question whether he will be a restricted or unrestricted free-agent if he sits out the year. Nobody knows for sure. Perhaps AJ is gambling that Jackson will be a restricted free-agent once again in 2011 under the new CBA.

CoryWinget81
09-02-2010, 09:40 AM
If SD loses their best receiver, are we gonna see all the talking heads say they're 4 games worse for it?

Denver_Bolts
09-02-2010, 10:48 AM
It's a big week for Vincent Jackson and the Chargers.

The Chargers put him on the roster exempt list, which means that he is required to miss a minimum of 3 games, starting when he reports to (any) team. Obviously he can't report while he is suspended by the league. So if he is gonna get dealt, it makes sense to do it by the end of the week, so that he can report immediately and avoid having to sit out an additional 3 games after his 3-game league suspension.

The question is whether the Chargers even want to deal him. Lord AJ works in mysterious ways, and his allowing only the Seahawks permission to negotiate with VJax's agents is a very curious move. Maybe AJ just wants to show Jackson that his contract demands are ridiculous, by having another team laugh at them. Maybe he thinks the Seahawks are suckers after the Whitehurst trade. Maybe he refuses to consider trading to teams who look competitive this year. I don't know.
But right now, the Seahawks, Rams, Vikings and Redskins all make sense as possible destinations. If VJ is traded, I would bet it is to one of those 4 teams.

The other variable is whether VJax would come back and play starting in week 11, in order to accrue another year towards free-agency. It is an open question whether he will be a restricted or unrestricted free-agent if he sits out the year. Nobody knows for sure. Perhaps AJ is gambling that Jackson will be a restricted free-agent once again in 2011 under the new CBA.

You make some very good points. I'm hoping V.J will be traded before this Saturday, but with A.J Smith, who knows what is going to happen. But the article below did shed some lights on the reason why only Seatle granted the talk with V.J. I found it's interesting theory....

Looking for a reason VJ not made available to all
By Kevin Acee, UNION-TRIBUNE

We all know AJ Smith is not above putting the screws to Vincent Jackson and his agents.

Confident his team can win a Super Bowl without Jackson and knowing the Chargers would receive a third-round draft pick if Jackson does eventually sign a mega contract, Smith could essentially force Jackson to sit out this season.

Don't think it wouldn't be punishment for trying to force Smith's hand. But, moreover, it might be done as a powerful message to the rest of the Chargers players and every agent around the NFL.

I know Smith doesn't mind the John Wayne references and other, sometimes bad words used to desrcibe him. I think he might even fancy himself the John McClane of NFL General Managers.

So, as Darwin the hamster said in the action classic G-Force "Yippikiyay, coffee maker!"

I can't say that's the course of action I'd take. Or that very many others in Smith's position would take.

And if this is what Smith is doing, he hasn't shared it with me. I purposely did not talk to him before ripping off this blog at 30,000 feet between DFW and New Orleans.

I'm just saying Smith is not above doing such a thing.

I've spent a fair amount of time observing him, as well as talking to him and others about how he operates.

You can rip me for being Smith's publicist, as some have done, or you can read on and learn a little something about the possible method behind Smith's maddening madness.

His tough-guy image (usually described in more colorful terms by agents) is important to him. He believes it helps him doing business.

Among the quotes Smith has printed out in large bold type on plain white paper and framed in his office is one from Abraham Lincoln that reads:

"It’s important that people know you walk among them without fear."

Smith is not his players' friend. He very much likes many of them and enjoys talking to some more than others. But he is highly satisfied holding himself apart from them too.

Smith is not interested in helping players or their agents. I don't believe he spoke to Jackson's agent when he called the Chargers to try to get them to help facilitate a trade. But a conversation would have gone something like this:

"Hey, AJ. Neil Schwartz here. How about we --"

"Whoa! Neil, there's no 'we' here."

Sure, Smith has an ego. The difference between him and a lot of people in the NFL is that Smith doesn't try to hide it.

I have a theory. It is proffered not just by me but derived as I spoke to people around the league as I try to understand why Smith won't have right-hand man Ed McGuire call up at least the NFC teams and tell them Jackson is on the block.

I've made it clear in many forums I think he should do that. I've also made clear that unless Jackson and his agents come down on their price, it doesn't matter. Every team in the league knows what Jackson is asking for, and none of them are going to pay it.

Anyway, the theory offered here is that Smith is trying to preserve Jackson's trade value.

I've had several people say that once teams perceive a team is motivated (desperate) to trade a player, the potential value is greatly diminished.

It is possible, numerous people concur, that Smith sees a live one on the line in Seattle, which has a passionate new coach who covets big receivers. Maybe, the thinking goes, Smith wants to see what happens there before allowing others into the frenzy.

See, Schwartz and partner Jonathan Feinsod need multiple teams bidding against each other. Smith does not, not at this point.

Now, should the Chargers suffer an injury between now and October, maybe Smith will need a card to play.

Or maybe he won't.

Remember, he's Captain Compensatory. I can see him having no problem letting Jackson go as a free agent and collecting a compensatory draft pick.

Smith is clearly stockpiling picks for 2011 and would love to start working on '12.

Jackson is not in the Chargers' long-term plans. I think they should unload him now as long as they get a reasonable price -- say a second-rounder in 2011 and third- or fourth-rounder in 2012.

But as was pointed out to me by one well-respected, long-time and big-time agent as I sat waiting for my plane in Dallas, trades in the NFL are rarely done for the price that "makes sense." It's usually for much less.

Maybe Smith is playing hardball in order to try to get his price.
Whatever, it's awfully easy (and completely inaccurate), to say it's simply Smith's ego keeping Jackson here

Bronco_Armada
09-03-2010, 06:20 AM
This is both good and bad news for the Broncos.

Good - He gets out of the AFCW

Bad - Great teams make others strive to get better. Mediocrity only produces that.

LSIGRAD09
09-03-2010, 12:00 PM
I heard STL was talking about Jackson too.