PDA

View Full Version : Depth

Tarquin
08-28-2010, 10:47 AM
I was watching the game last night against the Saints.

The one thing that really caught my attention was that starting at second string and beyond, there's a pretty substantial decline in talent for the Chargers.

The depth problems for the Chargers are not nearly as bas as what I saw from the Chiefs last night, but certainly they're something of a concern I would think.

You have a significant drop-off in talent from your first to second string, though. The reason I was watching so intently was because we seem to have the same problem, especially in the QB department.

Given that you're already dealing with a number of situations such as hold-outs and significant injuries, do you guys think this is a concern down the stretch for your team?

I kind of do. I think you're one or two significant injuries away from a pretty bad position, especially considering the improvement for Denver this season.

"Powerful but fragile" was a phrase that came to mind when watching last night's game for me.

Do you think this is a fair assessment?

baphamet
08-28-2010, 10:56 AM
I was watching the game last night against the Saints.

The one thing that really caught my attention was that starting at second string and beyond, there's a pretty substantial decline in talent for the Chargers.

The depth problems for the Chargers are not nearly as bas as what I saw from the Chiefs last night, but certainly they're something of a concern I would think.

You have a significant drop-off in talent from your first to second string, though. The reason I was watching so intently was because we seem to have the same problem, especially in the QB department.

Given that you're already dealing with a number of situations such as hold-outs and significant injuries, do you guys think this is a concern down the stretch for your team?

I kind of do. I think you're one or two significant injuries away from a pretty bad position, especially considering the improvement for Denver this season.

"Powerful but fragile" was a phrase that came to mind when watching last night's game for me.

Do you think this is a fair assessment?

to a certain extent yes. but i think we are okay at receiver, QB, and LB as far as depth goes. we may not have the best wide receivers but i think they can all make plays for us.

but i think almost every team has this problem.

BroncFanIN
08-28-2010, 05:25 PM
to a certain extent yes. but i think we are okay at receiver, QB, and LB as far as depth goes. we may not have the best wide receivers but i think they can all make plays for us.

What about the Left Tackle position? Does it look like the depth there is going to be okay?

Protecting Rivers blind side is an important job.

Do you guys have a good blocking TE that can help shore up that area a bit? Or does it look like your LT will sign any time soon?

Your depth at RB really impressed me. Mathews has looked good.

Are you guys concerned at all about your run D?

Den615
08-28-2010, 09:17 PM

Every team is one or two significant injuries away from a pretty bad season.

Tarquin
08-28-2010, 09:37 PM
Every team is one or two significant injuries away from a pretty bad season.

True, but I meant it in a more extreme case than is typical.

McSmashie
08-29-2010, 08:34 AM

The QB can make the WR too. Sidney Rice was pedestrian at best before Favre. Now the Vikings make him out to be Jerry Rice. When you have a veteran QB that can read defenses and put the ball exactly where it needs to be, that can make all the difference in your receiving corp.

Now Im going to go slap myself for complimenting Phyllis. :D

Chargerbomb
08-31-2010, 07:44 AM
What about the Left Tackle position? Does it look like the depth there is going to be okay?

Protecting Rivers blind side is an important job.

We moved Tyronne Green out to LT from guard. He has done well at backup LT. We have decent depth there, better than last year anyway.

Do you guys have a good blocking TE that can help shore up that area a bit? Or does it look like your LT will sign any time soon?

Kris Wilson and Randy McMichael can both block a bit. We will feature a lot of 2 TE sets to help out pass protection.

Your depth at RB really impressed me. Mathews has looked good.

Are you guys concerned at all about your run D?

Mathews is legit. Tolbert and Sproles will get a good number of carries as well. I'm not convinced that we will carry another RB beyond that.

Run D is always a concern, but the 1st team has done very well against the Bears, Cowboys and Saints to stop the run. I think the biggest question mark is whether the defensive ends can get any push. We have a bunch of guys competing for playing time at DE, but nobody has stood out as a beast so far.