PDA

View Full Version : Aroldis Chapman

WhoDeyBengals
08-31-2010, 09:35 PM
Anyone else see it? I don't think I've ever seen anything like that in my life.

The guy hit 103 on the gun. You can't see that. It's invisible. The only way to hit that pitch is to guess and start swinging when you see the arm **** back. Not only that, his slider was filthy. FILTHY. 86 mph, and it has a ton of action on it. He's also got a really squirrelly looking delivery, which just makes him all the tougher to figure out. Still, delivery looks smooth and sound, and he could be a great starter next year.

This year? He's our get-out-of-jail-free card when we have a rough start to an inning, or a nasty bridge to the closer.

God, I love this team. Go Reds! :peace:

WhoDeyBengals
09-01-2010, 08:03 AM
Here's the full inning of work from last night. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqXp_fxuV_o) Baseball fans, just check this out. Eight pitches, 1K, 1-2-3 inning.

EDIT: http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=11582641 because MLB took down the YouTube video. Go figure.

Southstander
09-01-2010, 09:32 AM
Hope he does better health wise then Strausberg did.

#1snake_fan
09-01-2010, 09:56 AM
Health wasn't Strasburg's problem it was over use the Nationals saw what they had and that he would sell out so they used him as much as they could until he got hurt.

Cincinnati was freaking Brilliant because it's september now there's only a few weeks left in the season and no one had seen Chapman until last night. Usally during a season you see someone more then once so you can ajust to their movement and make solid contact I.E. Strasburg the first teams that played him he dominated but once everyone got the chance to see him he was human afterall...

My Cap's off to the Reds congrats on the division and making the Cardinals eat their words :thumb:

ERoyal248
09-01-2010, 10:23 AM
It was very impressive, i watched it on MLBTV after the Braves game was over..

Wow is all i have to say.. If he can control his pitches, he is going to be a special pitcher for a long, long time..

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
09-01-2010, 10:30 AM
Wow, he's got some nasty stuff. The way that slider drops it's hard to believe it's 86-87mph.

Broncos724
09-01-2010, 07:50 PM
I was at the game, standing above the Reds bullpen. I'll just say it was the most surreal sports experience I've ever had. The entire stadium was on its feet for the whole inning, and he absolutely NAILED his debut. Seeing 102 on the pitch speed display is something you have to see in person!

And tonight, in his 2nd appearance, he hit 103.4 which is the 2nd fastest recorded pitch ever. Oh and he went 1-2-3 once again and had 2 more strikeouts. His potential is simply disgusting and I love that he's with us!!

At this point, because he hasn't been seen yet at all, he could be a serious, serious weapon in the playoffs if used in high leverage situations. I've never been more excited to be a Reds fan! :salute:

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
09-01-2010, 08:24 PM
I was at the game, standing above the Reds bullpen. I'll just say it was the most surreal sports experience I've ever had. The entire stadium was on its feet for the whole inning, and he absolutely NAILED his debut. Seeing 102 on the pitch speed display is something you have to see in person!

And tonight, in his 2nd appearance, he hit 103.4 which is the 2nd fastest recorded pitch ever. Oh and he went 1-2-3 once again and had 2 more strikeouts. His potential is simply disgusting and I love that he's with us!!

At this point, because he hasn't been seen yet at all, he could be a serious, serious weapon in the playoffs if used in high leverage situations. I've never been more excited to be a Reds fan! :salute:

I hope they keep him as a closer. I just think it's too hard on a guys shoulder to throw with that kind of velocity and be a part of the rotation.

Zamaya for the Indians use to be pretty nasty too. He would regularly get up close to triple digits. I don't know how he's doing now because I just don't follow baseball as closely as I use to, but he use to be pretty nasty. He just had control issues under pressure.

BroncoSexyDaddy
09-04-2010, 12:06 AM
It is incredible that a guy can pitch 103,havent seen this since JR Richards

Rollo
09-04-2010, 12:15 AM
104 today!

BroncoSexyDaddy
09-04-2010, 10:58 PM
104 today!

Wow,thats some serious gas.

Broncos724
09-05-2010, 03:16 PM
I hope they keep him as a closer. I just think it's too hard on a guys shoulder to throw with that kind of velocity and be a part of the rotation.

Zamaya for the Indians use to be pretty nasty too. He would regularly get up close to triple digits. I don't know how he's doing now because I just don't follow baseball as closely as I use to, but he use to be pretty nasty. He just had control issues under pressure.He will most certainly be a starter next season. The Reds are following the same plan with Aroldis that David Prince and Adam Wainwright got, which is to let them get a taste of the big leagues in the bullpen before converting back to a starter. And when he's a starter he won't be consistently hitting 102, 103 MPH. Probably a more conservative 98, 99 to save his arm :D

LordTrychon
09-05-2010, 03:49 PM
That's.... impressive.

I haven't thrown that fast in some time.

:salute:

armedequation
09-07-2010, 01:10 PM
That's.... impressive.

:salute:

you havent thrown that fast or
been thrown that fast?:D

BroncoSexyDaddy
09-07-2010, 06:29 PM
That's.... impressive.

:salute:Sign him up coach :P

CTM
09-07-2010, 08:49 PM
I wonder if he'll be used as a starter or a closer?

Obviously everyone would want an arm like that at the top of the rotation, but factoring two things in.

Long term durability. Closers only pitch probably, tops, 60-70 innings a year, as opposed to starters who can pitch upwards of 200 innings a year.

Life on pitches. Pitchers pitch differently when they are the starter and when they know they only have to get three outs. Out of the bullpen, a lot more life can be put on pitches, which is what I saw with Chapman. His slider was one of the best I've ever seen, and he could CONTROL it.

Of course this might be the knee jerk response after seeing what happened with Strausburg and his arm, but who knows, maybe, hopefully Chapman is blessed with a healthy arm because it would be very exciting to see him pitch every 5 days.

DevilSpawn
09-07-2010, 09:04 PM
Anyone else see it? I don't think I've ever seen anything like that in my life.

The guy hit 103 on the gun. You can't see that. It's invisible. The only way to hit that pitch is to guess and start swinging when you see the arm **** back. Not only that, his slider was filthy. FILTHY. 86 mph, and it has a ton of action on it. He's also got a really squirrelly looking delivery, which just makes him all the tougher to figure out. Still, delivery looks smooth and sound, and he could be a great starter next year.

This year? He's our get-out-of-jail-free card when we have a rough start to an inning, or a nasty bridge to the closer.

God, I love this team. Go Reds! :peace:
He'll be a Yankee in 3 years, so don't get used to him. :thumb: :laugh:

Broncos724
09-09-2010, 09:15 AM
He'll be a Yankee in 3 years, so don't get used to him. :thumb: :laugh:He's locked up with the Reds for the next 5 years I believe :cheers:

After that, if he's turned into a superstar, I'm sure he'll be all yours.

And whether or not he should be a starter or closer, he will be a starter, they signed him as a starter, he wants to be a starter, and Walt Jocketty has already stated he will be a starter come spring training next season. Using him as a setup guy this year was only to introduce him to MLB, and because at the time this was decided the Reds had excellent depth in their starting rotation.

BroncoFanBoy
09-09-2010, 11:08 AM
He's locked up with the Reds for the next 5 years I believe :cheers:

After that, if he's turned into a superstar, I'm sure he'll be all yours.

And whether or not he should be a starter or closer, he will be a starter, they signed him as a starter, he wants to be a starter, and Walt Jocketty has already stated he will be a starter come spring training next season. Using him as a setup guy this year was only to introduce him to MLB, and because at the time this was decided the Reds had excellent depth in their starting rotation.

he has horrible control of his pitches so far...

Broncos724
09-14-2010, 09:33 PM
he has horrible control of his pitches so far...So far in 6.2 IP he's given up 4 hits and 2 walks while striking out 9. His command has been surprisingly good. If you only saw him in his appearances against the Rockies, then yeah you might think his command is poor, those were definitely his worst appearances.