PDA

View Full Version : Pursuing A Sports Management Major?

JaysusCutler
09-29-2010, 07:04 PM
I am currently a junior in high school in South Carolina and obviously love sports. I'm thinking about pursuing a major in Sports Management at either Clemson or Univ. of South Carolina (can't afford to go out of state). I know that this is an incredibly competitive field because of how many people want jobs in sports, and was wondering if anyone had any insight into if this is a good choice to go after or how I should go about getting into the profession if I do choose to pursue it. I have a high GPA and am one of the top students in my class, so I'm not as worried about getting into a good school as I am paying for it and breaking into the field and career.

Thank you for any help you can give me.

SBboundBRONCOS
09-29-2010, 07:08 PM
I am currently a junior in high school in South Carolina and obviously love sports. I'm thinking about pursuing a major in Sports Management at either Clemson or Univ. of South Carolina (can't afford to go out of state). I know that this is an incredibly competitive field because of how many people want jobs in sports, and was wondering if anyone had any insight into if this is a good choice to go after or how I should go about getting into the profession if I do choose to pursue it. I have a high GPA and am one of the top students in my class, so I'm not as worried about getting into a good school as I am paying for it and breaking into the field and career.

in all honesty just do business management

i learned this mistake because i am in recreation administration/sports management major, my school (tenn) automatically places you in a bus. minor so really just the opposite but you'll be much more rounded in terms of business and then you can go to law school become and agent or something like that

id switch but its too late for me haha

there are FAR more opportunities in business and if you want you can branch into sports or even minor in it

best advice i can give though is pick something you love (sports) and stick with it because changing in the middle is nothing but a hassel

Atwnbroncfan
09-29-2010, 07:18 PM
If your that narrowed, if your dream job isn't available then your screwed. As previous poster said, do business degree undergrad, it will be better to have other options. Then go to grad school for sports business management. If you do it in your grad degree, its mandatory that you have an internship. So they place you in some organization or school ad department for experience. I know university of minnesota, central florida, and san diego state university have excellent programs in that. So obviously you get connections.

Personally Im going thr agent route. I have 3 semesters at colorado state left, finishing my double major in business with emphasis in finance and management, and economics major. Also minor in political science. I will be interning this summer and starting law school in winter 2012.

Hope this helps

Sparky The Sun Devil
09-29-2010, 07:30 PM
in all honesty just do business management

i learned this mistake because i am in recreation administration/sports management major, my school (tenn) automatically places you in a bus. minor so really just the opposite but you'll be much more rounded in terms of business and then you can go to law school become and agent or something like that

id switch but its too late for me haha

there are FAR more opportunities in business and if you want you can branch into sports or even minor in it

best advice i can give though is pick something you love (sports) and stick with it because changing in the middle is nothing but a hassel

it is really in your best interest to take this advice

SBboundBRONCOS
09-30-2010, 10:32 AM
it is really in your best interest to take this advice

ya really wish i could start my entire college career over at this point but alas . . . i cant

oh well make due and push on i say, and its not that im doing bad ive just had something things not go my way, nobody ever really gave me that advice though and it hurt, i didnt know what i wanted nor did i know how to figure it out

Atwnbroncfan
09-30-2010, 11:27 AM
ya really wish i could start my entire college career over at this point but alas . . . i cant

oh well make due and push on i say, and its not that im doing bad ive just had something things not go my way, nobody ever really gave me that advice though and it hurt, i didnt know what i wanted nor did i know how to figure it out

Honestly most people don't know coming in freshman year.

RunYouOver
09-30-2010, 11:48 AM

The truth is, if you're looking to pursue a job in the sports industry, that's the major you have to take, or else you're immediately at a disadvantage. Already, you'd be at a disadvantage to those majoring in the top SM schools at Ohio University, UMass, Oregon and NYU, so pursuing a business management degree would likely mean the end of your dream job.

But, what I would recommend is to double major with something in business; it's more impressive on a resume, it gives you a better business background, and it gives you an alternative option if you can't find the job right for you in the industry.

You are correct in saying that it's an incredibly competitive field...it's VERY competitive. That doesn't mean you should quit though. Work hard, study hard and double major.

SBboundBRONCOS
09-30-2010, 01:10 PM
The truth is, if you're looking to pursue a job in the sports industry, that's the major you have to take, or else you're immediately at a disadvantage. Already, you'd be at a disadvantage to those majoring in the top SM schools at Ohio University, UMass, Oregon and NYU, so pursuing a business management degree would likely mean the end of your dream job.

But, what I would recommend is to double major with something in business; it's more impressive on a resume, it gives you a better business background, and it gives you an alternative option if you can't find the job right for you in the industry.

You are correct in saying that it's an incredibly competitive field...it's VERY competitive. That doesn't mean you should quit though. Work hard, study hard and double major.

i dont think it puts you at a disadvantage at all, because should you not get a job in the sports field you have soooooo much more to fall back on

i do think a double major is a great option but so is business and then sports management if grad school is in your future

JaysusCutler
09-30-2010, 01:16 PM
Thanks to everyone who replied. As I said, I'm only a HS junior so I have some time to think about things.

SBboundBroncos, have you done any internships in your time at UT? I know for Carolina you have to do at least 2 8 month unpaid internships and I was wondering what that experience is like.

EDIT: 8 week internships, not 8 months. Lol.

Apoc13
09-30-2010, 01:25 PM
what you can also do is look up emails for people in the field that you admire ...contact them and tell them your ambitions...i bet you get replies...and very helpful ones...and who knows, maybe that contact leads to an opportunity down the road.

SBboundBRONCOS
09-30-2010, 02:09 PM
Thanks to everyone who replied. As I said, I'm only a HS junior so I have some time to think about things.

SBboundBroncos, have you done any internships in your time at UT? I know for Carolina you have to do at least 2 8 month unpaid internships and I was wondering what that experience is like.

i am actually starting my first one next week for a semi-pro hockey team here in knoxville, should be interesting. this is for a 290 class, next semester is 390 and i think is 250? hours and then 490 is a 12 credit class and it is basically just doing a full time internship i think 420? hours

and ya a LOT of colleges are actually requiring the internships as classes now to gain that beyond valuable experience

Drunk Bronco
09-30-2010, 02:29 PM
i have now insight but wish you the best of luck...if you want it bad enough you will achieve it....I hope you do!

LSIGRAD09
09-30-2010, 02:34 PM
The best route is to major in something you're passionate about. I like law and order, law enforcement, the military, and International politics, so I chose political science. It can be a drag, but it will help me work in government.

In your case, sports. I'd recommend finding contacts or networking. Sometimes in a competitive field, WHO you know helps.

I say go for it, double major too so you have something to fall back on in case it doesn't work, or a really good minor.

Good luck, I hope it works out for you.

RunYouOver
09-30-2010, 03:28 PM
The best route is to major in something you're passionate about. I like law and order, law enforcement, the military, and International politics, so I chose political science. It can be a drag, but it will help me work in government.

In your case, sports. I'd recommend finding contacts or networking. Sometimes in a competitive field, WHO you know helps.

I say go for it, double major too so you have something to fall back on in case it doesn't work, or a really good minor.

Good luck, I hope it works out for you.

ESPECIALLY in this field more than a lot of others, WHO you know matters more than what you do, a LOT of the time.

Cahill
09-30-2010, 03:53 PM
If you want to be a sports agent, you have to go to law school so it doesn't really matter what your major is in undergrad school, just as long as you keep your GPA high and score well on the LSAT, you will get in. Law schools do not typically look for certain majors although many people will study history or political science before going to law school. Engineers get into law school pretty easily due to their logical thinking and background but it really depends on the individual and how well you can do on the LSAT and prove to the school you're a worthy candidate for Juris Doctor degree.

sbxxxiichamps
10-01-2010, 02:06 PM
Im currently a High School Senior and looking towards a future career in sports also. Anyways...
I took up an explorer program which included several sessions dealing with all the aspects of a minor league baseball team and was able to shadow an intern their during an actual game.
It was a great experience being able to actually see how a sports organization operates.
I suggest that if possible you might want to consider joining one of these programs. Besides being a great experience, at the very least it will look great on a application for college. As imo it shows you already have a real understanding of the career you are trying to get into.

andrewmlb
10-01-2010, 05:48 PM
My agent went to law school first to be a lawyer, with no intention to being an agent. He grew up with a current MVP baseball player and after talking it over with said player decided to start his own agency. Luckily for him his friend decided to let my agent represent him. After that I was one of his first players out of HS and since then he has about 45 players between the minors and majors.

I know the biggest thing for him and his job is the relationships he has with G.M.'s and asst. G.M.'s and his relationships with different companies, whether sporting equipment companies or major corporations. I know how he started his agency isn't the typical manner, but I do know he has a degree in law, which definitely comes into play with contract legality and the like. Hope this is helpful. But like it was stated earlier, it's not what you know, it's who you know a lot of times.