PDA

View Full Version : Drew Brees == Kyle Orton?

ExBearFan
10-04-2010, 11:43 PM
Hey you Charger fans! Gotta question for you.

If you follow our boards, you know there's a few people that refuse--absolutely refuse--to consider that Kyle Orton might be our answer at QB. Primarily, they're in the "Start Tebow Now" crowd. It seems no matter how much Orton achieves or carries the team, they will not support him. Some have admitted there is nothing he could do to win their support, including bringing home the Lombardi.

I don't understand this; it's not like Kyle threw a tantrum and demanded to be traded to the Broncos for Cutler.

Anyway, I was wondering if this is anything like the Brees/Rivers days in San Diego. What did y'all think of Brees when he was starting? He was putting up same pretty good numbers for you. Was there a great hue and cry to bench him for Rivers, or was he pretty well supported?

I'm not trying to compare the quarterbacks, but their situations.

Thanks. See you in a few weeks. :)

Fargo
10-05-2010, 06:06 AM
Kyle's got a ways to go to becoming Drew Brees. Mind you, Drew stepped up his game and kept improving from that point for a few years. Orton stepped up his game, but we don't know what he's going to do from here.

Kyle's a great quarterback, but it's presumptuous to say he's elite. We just haven't seen enough of him to make that judgment.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge Orton supporter. I'm always watching his development, and he's just not at Drew's level of comfort and control yet.

LSIGRAD09
10-05-2010, 06:15 AM
Brees and Orton in the same sentence? Head explodes.
I don't think that's the situation. Brees was drafted, Orton traded, so since we lost our drafted guy, the people want Orton to produce ASAP. They want the trade to seem worth it.

That is coming from the neutral camp.:thumb:

UrbanBounca
10-05-2010, 06:19 AM
Brees and Orton in the same sentence? Head explodes.
I don't think that's the situation. Brees was drafted, Orton traded, so since we lost our drafted guy, the people want Orton to produce ASAP. They want the trade to seem worth it.

That is coming from the neutral camp.:thumb:

Orton was traded, but thus far, Orton is holding up his end of the bargain.

LSIGRAD09
10-05-2010, 06:35 AM
Orton was traded, but thus far, Orton is holding up his end of the bargain.

He is, but you know some people. We all want Denver to return to the big one, but some want to shred any QB that loses a game. Not saying Orton did, but I swear some people expect us to be undefeated sometimes, and if Orton doesn't do that, toss him.

I agree with Orton-supporters that he should get more respect, he is doing much better than other QBs this year.

Jermz79
10-05-2010, 07:04 AM
No No No ... you've got it all wrong

Orton > Brees

at least in my Fantasy League anyway!

Through 4 weeks Orton has outscored Brees in my Fantasy league by at least 5 points per week. But for some reason I refuse to sit Brees ... the week I sit Brees he will have one of those 300+ yard and 4 TD's days!

LSIGRAD09
10-05-2010, 07:14 AM
No No No ... you've got it all wrong

Orton > Brees

at least in my Fantasy League anyway!

Through 4 weeks Orton has outscored Brees in my Fantasy league by at least 5 points per week. But for some reason I refuse to sit Brees ... the week I sit Brees he will have one of those 300+ yard and 4 TD's days!
Lol, that tends to happen. I bench somebody, they have a good week, I start, they suck.

My friends thought I was stupid to draft Orton. HA.

UrbanBounca
10-05-2010, 08:31 AM
He is, but you know some people. We all want Denver to return to the big one, but some want to shred any QB that loses a game. Not saying Orton did, but I swear some people expect us to be undefeated sometimes, and if Orton doesn't do that, toss him.

I agree with Orton-supporters that he should get more respect, he is doing much better than other QBs this year.

He is the number one QB going into week five when it comes to passing yards, but his QB ranking is number four out of the top five.

He'll have to keep playing like he has been for the entire year to earn respect, it's that simple. Orton didn't stand out last year, and no one expected him to this year.

LSIGRAD09
10-05-2010, 08:31 AM
He is the number one QB going into week five when it comes to passing yards, but his QB ranking is number four out of the top five.

He'll have to keep playing like he has been for the entire year to earn respect, it's that simple. Orton didn't stand out last year, and no one expected him to this year.

You have a point.

Puddleglum
10-05-2010, 10:19 AM
Hey you Charger fans! Gotta question for you.

If you follow our boards, you know there's a few people that refuse--absolutely refuse--to consider that Kyle Orton might be our answer at QB. Primarily, they're in the "Start Tebow Now" crowd. It seems no matter how much Orton achieves or carries the team, they will not support him. Some have admitted there is nothing he could do to win their support, including bringing home the Lombardi.

I don't understand this; it's not like Kyle threw a tantrum and demanded to be traded to the Broncos for Cutler.

Anyway, I was wondering if this is anything like the Brees/Rivers days in San Diego. What did y'all think of Brees when he was starting? He was putting up same pretty good numbers for you. Was there a great hue and cry to bench him for Rivers, or was he pretty well supported?

I'm not trying to compare the quarterbacks, but their situations.

Thanks. See you in a few weeks. :)

First off, you should have put the second to last statement at the beginning. It's amazing how few people actually read THE ENTIRE post before responding.

There are a few important differences, but otherwise I think it's an acceptable comparison. Remember, Brees got hurt and that was why Rivers got his starting job.

If I recall correctly, the game Brees got hurt on was the last game of his rookie contract (he was a 2nd in the 2001 draft). Rivers was sitting on the bench at this point (1st round 2004 draft). It was a business decision to let him walk. That and Rivers was AJ's guy and Brees was Schottenheimer's guy. You may recall that they didn't get on too well.

So when Brees was hurt they let him go for the younger Phil Rivers. As far as sentiment goes, I think it would be a general but fair statement to say most Chargers fans were rooting for the Saints in the last superbowl simply for Brees.

In summation, Brees had one heck of an injury. Orton is not injured to my knowledge, and playing at a high level. Why fix the passing game when it doesn't look broken? Besides you guys sank a 1st rounder into Tebow, who has around the most complete physical skill set you could want in a QB. To not give him the time he needs to reach his potential would be flat out stupid.

my :2cents:

ExBearFan
10-05-2010, 12:36 PM
Maybe I didn't express my question very well.

Were Charger fans calling for Brees to be benched and Rivers to start--esp. Brees's last season there? His numbers were good, comparable to Kyle's last season, but you had a hot young gun sitting on the bench.

Did Brees get the kind of hate that some heap upon Orton, or were Charger fans by and large supportive of him and willing to wait for Rivers?

Chargerbomb
10-05-2010, 01:16 PM

Were Charger fans calling for Brees to be benched and Rivers to start--esp. Brees's last season there? His numbers were good, comparable to Kyle's last season, but you had a hot young gun sitting on the bench.

Did Brees get the kind of hate that some heap upon Orton, or were Charger fans by and large supportive of him and willing to wait for Rivers?

There were some people criticizing Brees unfairly. They still had memories of him stinking it up in 2002 and 2003. There were some Rivers homers on the message boards as well. Crazy people claiming that Rivers would be more mobile, and with a stronger arm than Brees. Just silly stuff from people who had never seen Rivers play.

But there were plenty who wanted Rivers to be traded as well. Lots of people were pissed when Brees was allowed to walk, and they took it out on Rivers in 2006 despite Rivers having a pro-bowl year leading the team to a 14-2 record. Ultimately Rivers won over even the most die-hard Brees fan with his excellent play over the last 2+ years. Very few Chargers fans dwell on the past because if Rivers is a step below Brees, it's a very tiny step.

MHS
10-05-2010, 01:20 PM

i grew up in san diego and all my friend where chargers fans. From what i got from them hey where stoked that brees was playing great and supported him. But in the back their minds they said they wanted to see what this kid phillip rivers had.

So they fully supported the starter but still where wondering about there young guy. Which seems to be how i am.

baphamet
10-05-2010, 08:10 PM
absolutely were people fed up with brees by the time the 2004 season was about to begin. but i don't recall people wanting to put rivers in there to replace brees because he started tearing it up.

he never gave the chargers a reason to bench brees. so yeah, i would agree its a very similar situation with orton.

brees apparently needed a fire lit under his ass to break out, maybe orton does too? time will tell if he can keep it up and actually take his team to the playoffs.

baphamet
10-05-2010, 08:14 PM

oh i thought you meant that first year right after we traded for rivers. no, i don't recall too many people wanting rivers in there, most expected he would be traded before brees got hurt.

many actually didn't want rivers to play at all so his trade value wouldn't be effected. i do recall some people wanting him in there after we got eliminated from the playoffs in 2005, imagine if that had happened?

brees would likely still be our QB and god only knows where rivers would be.