PDA

View Full Version : Punched in the Gut: A Hockey Tale

jetrazor74
10-16-2010, 03:10 AM
First off, I'm not the die hard fan of hockey and baseball like I am football, and certainly not for basketball.

I like to catch my Stars or Twins when they're on, but I don't have a need to find out the score of every game. Hell, I can only name a couple of players on each of those teams, whereas I can name most of the starters for the Broncos and basketball... well, I can't tell you a single Pistons player, but I digress.

Through the years, a guy develops an affinity for a certain player. A player that comes to represent a team for a certain period of time... or even an entire franchise.

With the Broncos, that's obviously Elway for me, although I have many favorites that have played for the Broncos throughout the years.

For the Twins, that player was Kirby Puckett (R.I.P.).

I got to see each of those players play their entire career with the team I loved.

But the Stars.

Imagine watching John Elway walk onto Mile High field wearing the Black and Silver.

That's what it's like for me, having to look at Mike Modano wearing the red and white of the Red Wings.

Thinking about it makes my stomach churn. I feel like I've been kicked in the gut.

My favorite all-time hockey player.... played every minute of his career up until this season with the team I love.

And now I've got to watch him suit up for the team I hate more than any other.

What do you do? I don't think I can even watch hockey any more. Like I said, I'm not a die hard, but how do you cheer for your favorite player while at the same time hoping he loses every game? How do you cheer for your team knowing that your favorite player is out there somewhere, hoping they lose?

Anyone else ever have this happen?

I think I now know how Philly fans feel with McNabb going to the Redskins. There have to be many out there for whom McNabb was their favorite all time player.

Okay. In my anguish I'm starting to ramble now. :(

broncsfan21
10-16-2010, 08:56 AM
First off, I'm not the die hard fan of hockey and baseball like I am football, and certainly not for basketball.

I like to catch my Stars or Twins when they're on, but I don't have a need to find out the score of every game. Hell, I can only name a couple of players on each of those teams, whereas I can name most of the starters for the Broncos and basketball... well, I can't tell you a single Pistons player, but I digress.

Through the years, a guy develops an affinity for a certain player. A player that comes to represent a team for a certain period of time... or even an entire franchise.

With the Broncos, that's obviously Elway for me, although I have many favorites that have played for the Broncos throughout the years.

For the Twins, that player was Kirby Puckett (R.I.P.).

I got to see each of those players play their entire career with the team I loved.

But the Stars.

Imagine watching John Elway walk onto Mile High field wearing the Black and Silver.

That's what it's like for me, having to look at Mike Modano wearing the red and white of the Red Wings.

Thinking about it makes my stomach churn. I feel like I've been kicked in the gut.

My favorite all-time hockey player.... played every minute of his career up until this season with the team I love.

And now I've got to watch him suit up for the team I hate more than any other.

What do you do? I don't think I can even watch hockey any more. Like I said, I'm not a die hard, but how do you cheer for your favorite player while at the same time hoping he loses every game? How do you cheer for your team knowing that your favorite player is out there somewhere, hoping they lose?

Anyone else ever have this happen?

I think I now know how Philly fans feel with McNabb going to the Redskins. There have to be many out there for whom McNabb was their favorite all time player.

Okay. In my anguish I'm starting to ramble now. :(

I'm not even a Stars fan but Modano does not look right in red. I thought it was a shame he could not work a deal to stay in dallas.

For me, it was when Forsberg played for Philly. Its not like the Avs are big rivals with them, but he just didn't look right in orange and black, I was so used to him being in burgundy and blue.

Frenchy180
10-16-2010, 09:50 AM
I'm not even a Stars fan but Modano does not look right in red. I thought it was a shame he could not work a deal to stay in dallas.

For me, it was when Forsberg played for Philly. Its not like the Avs are big rivals with them, but he just didn't look right in orange and black, I was so used to him being in burgundy and blue.

Yeah, that was weird, even though Philly was the team who drafted him... Kinda like if Favre were to go back to Atlanta lol

broncsfan21
10-17-2010, 09:56 AM
Yeah, that was weird, even though Philly was the team who drafted him... Kinda like if Favre were to go back to Atlanta lol

Ha, yea thats true. Or would it be more like Elway playing for the Colts or Eli Manning playing for the Chargers?

JakeNbake
10-17-2010, 10:06 AM
That'd be like Super Joe playing for the Redwings :( I'd puke.

jetrazor74
03-01-2012, 12:42 AM
Revisiting this thread is still a kick in the groin. :(

Remedy
03-01-2012, 08:52 AM
Patrick Roy...
I know your pain.

Imagine the throngs of Oilers fans when the great one got traded...

Broncoholic3233
03-01-2012, 09:41 AM
Jet let me tell you a story about a hockey player named Chris Stewart.

He played for the Avalanche and was awesome!

Then we traded him to the Blues.

I was all :mad: :mad: :mad:

I'm still :mad:

I have't been the same since :(

broncsfan21
03-01-2012, 12:10 PM
Jet let me tell you a story about a hockey player named Chris Stewart.

He played for the Avalanche and was awesome!

Then we traded him to the Blues.

I was all :mad: :mad: :mad:

I'm still :mad:

I have't been the same since :(

He's good, but IMO he is Wojtek Wolski 2.0

All the talent in the world, none of the drive to be great