PDA

View Full Version : Hey CanDB, help us understand this please!!!!!

Broncoholic JS
11-04-2010, 12:23 AM
http://sports.todaysbigthing.com/2010/11/02

What is going on here? What do you guys do North of the border with football and the rules? My head hurts from trying to figure this one out! HELP!!!

Broncoholic3233
11-04-2010, 12:27 AM
:jawdrop: please explain what I just watched

Atwnbroncfan
11-04-2010, 12:47 AM

What is going on here? What do you guys do North of the border with football and the rules? My head hurts from trying to figure this one out! HELP!!!

Looks like a combo of Football and Rugby................kinda

Frenchy180
11-04-2010, 02:12 AM
I'll do my best here... There is a thing called a "Single" in Canadian football... Basically when a touchback would occur in the NFL or any other normal form of football is when a Single occurs... One point is awarded in this case, and what you just witnessed was a valiant attempt at avoiding a game winning Single :laugh:

P.S. No, I'm not Canadian

LSIGRAD09
11-04-2010, 06:45 AM
Lolwut? :eek:

CanDB
11-04-2010, 09:50 AM
I'll do my best here... There is a thing called a "Single" in Canadian football... Basically when a touchback would occur in the NFL or any other normal form of football is when a Single occurs... One point is awarded in this case, and what you just witnessed was a valiant attempt at avoiding a game winning Single :laugh:

P.S. No, I'm not Canadian

You wish!!!!!!!!! ;)

Good response..

CanDB
11-04-2010, 10:05 AM

Here's the deal.....

Frenchy is right....in the CFL, singles are awarded for punts / kicks that are not returned from the endzone. Plus, in our punt game, there are no fair catches or letting the ball bounce around until someone touches it, like in the NFL. Here, you must return it, and to make things fair, the punting team must allow 5 yards so that the returner has time to catch the ball before getting "killed".

Therefore on the video, you saw a game that did not end on the missed field goal........because until it was returned out of the endzone, there was still a single point to be gained, and the game was tied. Soooooo, the returners, already knowing this was a possibility, if the field goal missed, were hoping to make a play on the ball, and punt it out to the field of play. And as mentioned, the complicated part is that, each time the ball is punted, the receiver must be given 5 full yards (or best guess) to make a play on it.......which is just enough time to punt it back.

Soooooooo.......the field goal went wide; the receiver player punted it out to get it out of the end zone and try to prevent 1 point (and a victory for the field goal attempt team); in so doing the field goal team gave him 5 yards before he touched the ball; then....the field goal team received it back, and was given 5 yards before they touched it, and subsequently punted it back for the single to win; then the receiving team tried to punt it back, but did not punt it out of the end zone, and in fact, the field goal team recovered in the end zone for a game winning TD!!!! Again, they had to be allowed 5 yards to make a play on it, but it didn't matter cause they won..........

*out of breath*

I've seen punts returned like that a few times in my life, but not too often. But because the punts were well executed, and there were no infringement of the 5 yard buffer, this situation lasted longer than most.

MAYHEM!!!

One last thing, if the field goal had gone thru the end zone, that would have been a single and the game would have ended. Our end zones are 25 yards deep, so there is more room for returns.

btw........I like the NFL rules when it comes to fair catches and returns over the CFL, but I don't like the NFL's rule of letting a bunch of big, nasty men follow a ball around the field like kids, when the receiving team lets it bounce away. Both leagues have plus/minus in my opinion.

As for the single points, yes it does reward failure, but it sure makes those football pool tickets more versatile when it comes to quarter scores/revert back to zero and so on.

ONE MORE THING.......had the team punted it out and the ball ended in the field of play, and the game ended up tied......well now, our Overtime is very different. Another time......:D

Frenchy180
11-04-2010, 01:59 PM
Here's the deal.....

Frenchy is right....in the CFL, singles are awarded for punts / kicks that are not returned from the endzone. Plus, in our punt game, there are no fair catches or letting the ball bounce around until someone touches it, like in the NFL. Here, you must return it, and to make things fair, the punting team must allow 5 yards so that the returner has time to catch the ball before getting "killed".

Therefore on the video, you saw a game that did not end on the missed field goal........because until it was returned out of the endzone, there was still a single point to be gained, and the game was tied. Soooooo, the returners, already knowing this was a possibility, if the field goal missed, were hoping to make a play on the ball, and punt it out to the field of play. And as mentioned, the complicated part is that, each time the ball is punted, the receiver must be given 5 full yards (or best guess) to make a play on it.......which is just enough time to punt it back.

Soooooooo.......the field goal went wide; the receiver player punted it out to get it out of the end zone and try to prevent 1 point (and a victory for the field goal attempt team); in so doing the field goal team gave him 5 yards before he touched the ball; then....the field goal team received it back, and was given 5 yards before they touched it, and subsequently punted it back for the single to win; then the receiving team tried to punt it back, but did not punt it out of the end zone, and in fact, the field goal team recovered in the end zone for a game winning TD!!!! Again, they had to be allowed 5 yards to make a play on it, but it didn't matter cause they won..........

*out of breath*

I've seen punts returned like that a few times in my life, but not too often. But because the punts were well executed, and there were no infringement of the 5 yard buffer, this situation lasted longer than most.

MAYHEM!!!

One last thing, if the field goal had gone thru the end zone, that would have been a single and the game would have ended. Our end zones are 25 yards deep, so there is more room for returns.

btw........I like the NFL rules when it comes to fair catches and returns over the CFL, but I don't like the NFL's rule of letting a bunch of big, nasty men follow a ball around the field like kids, when the receiving team lets it bounce away. Both leagues have plus/minus in my opinion.

As for the single points, yes it does reward failure, but it sure makes those football pool tickets more versatile when it comes to quarter scores/revert back to zero and so on.

ONE MORE THING.......had the team punted it out and the ball ended in the field of play, and the game ended up tied......well now, our Overtime is very different. Another time......:D

So, am I right that a game that goes into overtime can end on a punt not returned for a touchdown?

Alastor
11-04-2010, 02:14 PM
http://www.secure-power.com/images/confused.jpg

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
11-04-2010, 02:40 PM
I think there's a good chance some Canadian frat boys came up with this rule after a weekend of heavy drinking. I don't think that's baseless speculation either. :laugh:

Spice 1
11-04-2010, 06:25 PM
That was twilight zone quality. I understand it now, but I needed the explanation from Frenchy and CanDB. First time I saw it, seemed like the player fielding the missed kick just made up his own rules, and everybody just went with it.

Bronco_Armada
11-04-2010, 08:32 PM
Go Go Argos!

xX-Bronco-Xx
11-04-2010, 09:43 PM
Why can't you Canadians just play normally!!!

And stop calling your ham bacon!!!

:D

12and4
11-04-2010, 10:41 PM
lol that was just a head scratcher...

if i ever saw that in the NFL i'd just throw something at my tv and never watch football ever again (especially on that tv)