PDA

View Full Version : HUGE NEWS from Broncos front office

SlipperyPete
09-19-2004, 09:00 PM
Broncos Beg NFL: Let Us Keep Playing KC's Defense

By Len Pasquarelli
ESPN.com

After a poor offensive showing in the pre-season, the Denver Broncos had hoped their woes were behind them after scoring 34 points in their home opener against the Kansas City Chiefs. Running back Quentin Griffin's 3 TD performance had many fans asking "Clinton Who?", in reference to former Broncos back Clinton Portis, traded to Washington for Champ Bailey.

However, it was another story in Week 2. The Broncos scored just 6 points on two Jason Elam field goals in a 7-6 loss to Jacksonville. Griffin managed just 68 yards and no TD's in his first real test against an NFL defense, as well as his second fumble in the red zone in as many weeks. The performance was bad enough to earn him "Fantasy Dud" status from ESPN.

Based on their performance, the Broncos have filed an unusual request with the NFL: they'd like to play against the Kansas City defense every week. Details are still sketchy as to how the proposed plan would work, but it's believed that head coach Mike Shanahan has proposed flying KC's defense to all of Denver's games.

"We can't score points," Shanahan admitted. "We thought we had things worked out, but it turns out that lots of teams look good offensively when they play the Chiefs. Based on that, I think our record will turn out a lot better if we line up against the Chiefs defense every week."

"Fine with me," said Chiefs coach **** Vermiel when told of the suggestion. "We don't need 'em. Teams are going to score on us anyway, we'll just let the other team run the ball against an empty field. That way, our offense can get back out there faster."

It remains unclear if the NFL will grant Shanahan's request, but either way he says things have to change in Denver.

"We can't keep scoring this way," he told reporters. "Jason Elam's foot can't take the abuse."

Len Pasquarelli is a senior writer for ESPN.com. Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

mattos
09-19-2004, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by SlipperyPete
"Fine with me," said Chiefs coach **** Vermiel when told of the suggestion. "We don't need 'em. Teams are going to score on us anyway, we'll just let the other team run the ball against an empty field. That way, our offense can get back out there faster."

well that much is true anyways.

EMCF
09-19-2004, 09:02 PM
Whats that? 0-2?

SlipperyPete
09-19-2004, 09:08 PM
0-2?? What does the Chiefs record have to do with the Broncos crappy offense?

The number you need to worry about is 6.

EMCF
09-19-2004, 09:13 PM
This crappy offence? What does that have to say about KC's D? Come back when KC wins a game.

SlipperyPete
09-19-2004, 10:04 PM
Originally posted by EMCF
This crappy offence? What does that have to say about KC's D?
It says that KC's defense sucks! That's why Denver wans to keep playing against the KC defense! Wow, did I really need to explain that to you? This is a new low for Donkey fans.

I don't know why you think that talking about KC's record will bother me, but feel free to keep doing it if it makes you feel better. Too bad it doesn't help the Broncos score points!

orangenblue420
09-19-2004, 10:22 PM
People Im one of the most verbal and emotional ones here but damn - as much as I am sooo pissed, and I am hating shanny right now, its 50/50 - we've played two games - lets give it a week or two before we start dissin ourselves - sheesh

theshiverman
09-19-2004, 11:24 PM
The offence will be fine, we have alot of new people in there...sharpe, eddie mac, portis, Anderson are all gone , the offence will be hot and cold for the first 5-6 games, if we can get 4 wins in the first 6 games we will be good. if they keep all the people we have in there now , then by the time the second half of the season rolls around we will be a very dangerous offense. Plummer doesnt have any timing down with any of the wr's or T.E's except Rod Smith, but all that will only get better each game. last year as an example....he was new to the system and developed timing with sharpe first, then Rod, but E. Mac was in and out all year and he never was able to establish any thing with him as a wr......just keep the guys we have in there now and hope for no injuries and we will start comming on big time. we will roll over the chargers come sunday and every thing will be right in the bronco world!

Stncld
09-20-2004, 10:53 AM
Yes Yes Yes we did in fact lose a close one to the Jags. They put up a great effort in the red zone and shanny had some pretty poor play calling in there to. But at least our loss came on the road. I mean we did not let an NFC team who got beat like a drum the week before, come into our house and rush for approx 200 yards, most of it with a back up RB, then beat us by 11. And I thought your team was going to the Superbowl. Well your still one game behind in the AFC West and essentailly two with the tiebreaker, and you still have to pay the Chargers twice who Tomlinson and us once and it really doesn't matter who is running by then, you couldn't stop them. Me thinks you don't even get to the Playoffs, and we get to see your coach cry some more. Oh yeah ask Dante if he wants to come back over the middle anytime soon........