PDA

View Full Version : Cutting

The Bronco Brit
12-21-2010, 05:10 AM
Hey I was wandering if anyone could give any tips on how to cut out things from pictures (like players)? I have gimp and paint.net, and being able to cut things out would really help me, maybe there's a tutorial you know or a method you could share? Thanks and cp to those who reply :salute:

Jay3
12-21-2010, 05:28 AM
Cut out a rectangle or square? Like to make an avatar?

Just use Paint. Either the "crop" function or just the "cut" command from edit.

After you use "cut", the rectangle you just selected is on the clipboard, and you can open a new file and paste it.

If you meant cut it out like a paper doll, I don't know a good way to do that.

The Bronco Brit
12-21-2010, 05:34 AM
I meant cutting out things from backgrounds, for example if I have a picture of a broncos player that I want to use in a sig, I want to be able to get rid of the background and have just the player. Thanks anyway though.

Jay3
12-21-2010, 05:43 AM
I meant cutting out things from backgrounds, for example if I have a picture of a broncos player that I want to use in a sig, I want to be able to get rid of the background and have just the player. Thanks anyway though.

Gotcha -- that's what I meant by "paper dolls." I've wondered myself. I've never been one of those big photoshop guys.

I'd be interested to know on Gimp, because I'm not paying money for photoshop.

TimxNguyen
12-21-2010, 09:02 AM
ummm...idk much about GIMP but i use the "quick selection tool" and then cut out the background in photoshop...
the most simple way is to just get the eraser tool and erase the background...

xX-Bronco-Xx
12-21-2010, 10:11 AM
I'd zoom it about 400% and then use the polygonal lasso tool to select around the edges of the picture. Once you have the whole thing you can cut that out.

xX-Bronco-Xx
12-21-2010, 10:13 AM
http://www.littleboxofideas.com/blog/tutorials/how-to-cut-an-object-in-photoshop-using-polygon-lasso-tool

That should help since Gimp is the watered down version of Photoshop. Most of it should be similar.

The Bronco Brit
12-21-2010, 12:43 PM
Thanks guys, cp to you both :D

CHARGER$
12-21-2010, 03:12 PM
just in case here's a vid tut.

youtube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vb8zg4B1wt8)

theMileHighGuy
12-25-2010, 12:57 AM
Still a big fan of the photoshop pen tool. You can be really meticulous and even match curvatures perfectly if you take the time to click and drag the tracer properly.... that kinda sucks tho.