PDA

View Full Version : What turned around the Chargers D this year?

BroncoFanNC
01-03-2011, 12:10 PM
Just curious what the main factors in turning around the D were?

They went from 16th in Yards to 1st. Also from 11th in Points to 10th.

Was it Ron Rivera and the Coaching staff? Or just some players getting chances/breaking out? Combination?

jcdavey
01-03-2011, 12:14 PM
Just curious what the main factors in turning around the D were?

They went from 16th in Yards to 1st. Also from 11th in Points to 10th.

Was it Ron Rivera and the Coaching staff? Or just some players getting chances/breaking out? Combination?

personally i think it was our child-like soft schedule

the D still got dragged up and down the field by oakland twice

and looked like utter crap vs the bengals

hell, they almost choked yesterday to denver

they've still got plenty of issues, they are really bad at consistently forcing turnovers

in 7 losses this year, the D got us a grand total of 4 turnovers

that's so bad

Puddleglum
01-03-2011, 02:15 PM
personally i think it was our child-like soft schedule

the D still got dragged up and down the field by oakland twice

and looked like utter crap vs the bengals

hell, they almost choked yesterday to denver

they've still got plenty of issues, they are really bad at consistently forcing turnovers

in 7 losses this year, the D got us a grand total of 4 turnovers

that's so bad

There are actually some really strong points in there (namely soft schedule, and getting run over by smash mouth teams).

I agree completely, the stats for our defense lie. Don't get me wrong, I think The Chargers made big strides from last year, but I would not consider them a top 5 defense. IMO The Chargers have an over-rated defense with under-rated players (yes I realize that is contradictory, but then so is life itself).

I'd say there were 3...possibly 4 big changes.

Antonio Garay (NT) is the Charger defensive MVP of the year IMO. He gave that line a bit of attitude, which considering he was up there with Mr. Glass (Castillo) and The Journeyman (Cesaire) is a minor miracle in and of itself.

The another big change was at CB between Cason, Hughes (back up) and Strickland (nickel) we had a huge attitude adjustment in the backfield. Each of our corners will hit you, I can't stress enough how much of a change that made. Cason also made a great deal of progress this year, I'm pleased with him and I believe that picking up at least 1 corner in the 2011 draft is a must as Jammer is getting older and frankly I'd love to see him converted to a SS as that is a big need for us.

The other big change was at Linebacker. We offloaded some trash (you know who you are) and were hurting at LB for most of the year we ended up picking Barnes up off of what the Cardinal's practice squad? I think he could have ended up being our best pass rusher if he had started all 16 games. Between getting a pass rush back (I still believe OLB is a need in the draft) and the outstanding play of Kevin Burnett an ILB (Reminded me of Donnie Edwards, still miss that guy good ILB's are hard to find particularly when it comes to coverage). Brandon Siler took a couple games at ILB and did very well especially against the run. I think Cooper will be around for 1 more year but in my opinion that will be 3 too long.

Lastly I gotta give it to Rivera, defense was the only part of the team that didn't look like crep when the season began. Maybe it's because he's now had 2ish I think years with them or maybe he's just a good DC. Regardless I hope he stays despite the fact that he plays prevent defense far more than I like.

:2cents:

Excellent question, can't wait to see what others think. CP to the orginal poster.

powderblues
01-03-2011, 03:19 PM
Antonio Garay is our new starting NT. He is replacing Nwagbou, a rookie who was not very effective at all. Garay is superior strength is excellent at stopping the run and collapsing the pocket. He takes up double teams which has allowed our OLB's Shaun Phillips, Antwan Barnes and sometimes our DB's to get almost free sacks on the QB. He's impressed me so much in just one year that I would say he's our next Jamal Williams.

Atnwan Barnes has done a solid job opposite of Phillips, he has stepped in to help and try to fill Merriman's shoes, where Larry English has failed to be worthy of his 1st round draft selection as of yet.

Antoine Cason has done a solid job. He is more physical than Antonio Cromartie, and doesn't take gambles for INT's as much as Cromartie used to, so he is usually in better positions to break up plays.

Easy Schedule = Bad Opposing QB's/Offenses

When you play the Rams, Seahawks, Cardinals, 49ers, Titans, Jaguars, Bengals, etc. It's not hard to look good when the other team has either a rookie QB (Rams, Cardinals), doesn't know who they want as their QB (49ers), or just flat out have a bad QB (Seahawks, Titans, Jaguars).

The only elite QB's the Chargers played this season were Manning and Brady, and they did a solid job on both. I do give them credit for that.

baphamet
01-04-2011, 06:35 PM
if i had to pick one thing i would say coaching.

the chargers did play a soft schedule but they were tested by the #1 offense and fared well.

i will say that they were inconsistent at times but a lot of times it was early in the game and they adjusted and locked it down for the most part in the second half of games.

that is a sign of good coaching as well.