PDA

View Full Version : cutler played after injection?

Kyousukeneko
02-03-2011, 12:25 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81e1483a/article/report-cutler-took-painkiller-shot-at-halftime-of-nfc-title-game?module=HP_headlines

Report: Cutler took painkiller shot at halftime of NFC title game

Chicago Bears quarterback Jay Cutler was roundly criticized when he appeared unwilling to play after suffering a knee injury in an NFC Championship Game loss to the Green Bay Packers.

But a source close to the situation told the Chicago Sun-Times on Wednesday that Cutler received a painkiller shot at halftime in an effort to finish the Jan. 23 contest.

Cutler injured his left knee during the first half and left for good after the first series of the third quarter. He was replaced by Todd Collins, who was later supplanted by Caleb Hanie in the Bears' 21-14 loss.

In the locker room at halftime, the Bears planned to play the remainder of the game without Cutler, according to the source, but he insisted on trying the painkiller and playing in the second half.

After Collins entered the game, Cutler's toughness was questioned by players around the league, while his teammates spent the days after the loss defending their quarterback.

An MRI later revealed that Cutler suffered a Grade II tear of his medial collateral ligament.

The Associated Press contributed to this report

Jay3
02-03-2011, 12:30 PM
It's come full circle in my mind. Cutler was unfairly criticized in that instance.

In hindsight, it was all about two things:

(1) His demeanor. He may think it's fine to just be himself, but he's not a very good leader.

(2) His history. It formed up as one of those "defining moments," where some feelings people already had bubbled to the surface.

But what did Todd Collins do to get off the hook? Guy looked like he didn't want to be out there.

LordTrychon
02-03-2011, 12:34 PM
I'm curious what shot they gave him, because he can't have a cortisone shot without being constantly monitored due to his diabetes.

91bronco
02-03-2011, 12:44 PM
It's come full circle in my mind. Cutler was unfairly criticized in that instance.

In hindsight, it was all about two things:

(1) His demeanor. He may think it's fine to just be himself, but he's not a very good leader.

(2) His history. It formed up as one of those "defining moments," where some feelings people already had bubbled to the surface.

But what did Todd Collins do to get off the hook? Guy looked like he didn't want to be out there.

I think you nailed it. Regardless of what REALLY happened it's really about the way he comes off- a culmination of his body language and how people perceive him.

White Dragon
02-03-2011, 01:08 PM
I'm curious what shot they gave him, because he can't have a cortisone shot without being constantly monitored due to his diabetes.

It says pain killer, so it couldn't be cortisone, which isn't a pain killer but is meant to suppress the immune system and reduce inflammation at the effected area. At least, it really isn't a pain killer, but I'm sure there are plenty of people that believe it is and label it as such.

BroncoFanNC
02-03-2011, 01:25 PM
It says pain killer, so it couldn't be cortisone, which isn't a pain killer but is meant to suppress the immune system and reduce inflammation at the effected area. At least, it really isn't a pain killer, but I'm sure there are plenty of people that believe it is and label it as such.

Toradol is probably what they used, its like an injectable strong Tylenol. It's what they use in college, and other sports.

It can't be too strong or they would start to feel loopy, and act funny....

But cortisone indirectly reduces pain by reducing inflammation, so it can be thought of as a pain reducer...

LordTrychon
02-03-2011, 01:27 PM

Well, it works partially as a pain killer as well... but you're right. That's often overlooked. I'm still curious what they gave him.

I think you nailed it. Regardless of what REALLY happened it's really about the way he comes off- a culmination of his body language and how people perceive him.

I think Elway stated it well. He brought it on himself with his demeanor and the way he handles the media and certain situations... but by the same token... no other player in the league would have undergone the same scrutiny under the same situation, which is a bit unfair.... even if partially self-inflicted.

I think it's also because everyone was waiting all year for 'bad Jay' to show up this year. He had a much better year this year, and has room to grow still. I think people were just aching to criticize him, because they had said since last year that he was overrated and an INT machine.

Portia11
02-03-2011, 02:11 PM
It was him "standing" at the sideline that got me, but if he had an injection it makes sense now. Usually ortho injections are (mostly) lidocaine and cortisone. I wondered what they used because of steroid testing.

Good point about cortisone being used would also wack his blood sugar-assume insulin pump would handle most of that elevation. (Toredol could be substituted for the cortisone in a sports setting as it is an injectable Non Steroidal Anti-Inflamatory Drug (NSAID).

The lidocaine (what the dentist uses) would numb the area immediately-not sure how long it would last playing NFL football-but several hours. Obviously none of this helps the stability of the joint and he's lucky he didn't complete the tear by trying to play with it.

Garywolf001
02-03-2011, 02:35 PM
I've had both lidocaine and cortisone shot in my leg and if they work for some people great, but for me all they do is feel wet inside. In Jays defense that initial pain is the worst unless you strain it again of course, and I don't think there is a pain killer out there that wouldn't make you to loopy to play. On the other side, I would expect a players adrenalin to mask most of the pain and with the brace I haft to wear which is much cheaper then the ones I've seen players wear, I would have dragged my ass on that field and I have a completely separated ACL and a torn MCL, but he was getting his but kicked either way and it wouldn't have mattered, they were going to loose.