PDA

View Full Version : Jerry Jones Super Blunder

Hadez
02-07-2011, 10:32 AM
It seems Jones wanted to break the all time attendance mark for Super Bowls and was trying to put temp seats in to do it.

The effort failed and more then a thousand people did not have a seat when they day begun.

800 of them got seated somewhere but over 400 people were left without a seat and had to settle.

Another link in these articles say the Cowboys had 4 of their 10 entrances closed which cause a delay of up to 3 hours for some people to get in.

Man was a epic screw up. Bet this gets swept under the rug because it is the cowboys though.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/Super-Bowl-ticket-holders-may-not-have-a-seat-at?urn=nfl-317553

Hundreds of Super Bowl ticket holders stiffed after seating snafu
By Chris Chase
Four hundred fans who paid $900 for tickets to Super Bowl XLV didn't have a seat at the game.

Due to "incomplete installation" of temporary seating at Cowboys Stadium, 400 fans were forced to the outdoor party plaza to watch the game. The seats were to be in the top section of the stadium behind the west end zone. As many as 800 other fans had their seats moved because of another section because of another seating snafu. Those who were left out in the cold were understandably unhappy:

According to reports, a fire marshall hadn't approved the temporary seating. Affected fans arrived at the game and were handed a letter informing them that they'd no longer have a seat for the Super Bowl.

Fans were given a refund equal to three times the face value of the ticket. For those who bought tickets for an infalted value on the secondary market and paid more for plane tickets and hotel accomodations, that may be a small consolation.

[Video: Catch the Big Game ads you missed]

It's another black eye for Dallas during its first time hosting a Super Bowl. Ice storms paralyzed the city earlier in the week, canceling flights and hindering travel. On Friday, a chunk of ice fell off the roof of the stadium and injured six. Because of that, four of the stadium's 10 entrances were closed on Super Bowl Sunday, causing waits of up to three hours to get in the stadium.

Jerry Jones and the NFL were so concerned about stuffing the most fans possible into Cowboys Stadium in order to maximize profit and set a Super Bowl attendance record, but evidently failed to consider the logistics of seating all those people.

this 2nd article was linked in the 1st one

Fans denied access to seats at Super Bowl
By Jason Sickles, Yahoo! Dallas
Feb 6, 5:36 pm EST

ARLINGTON, Texas – Angry fans outside a Cowboys Stadium fence chanted “Let us in!,” “Jerry sucks!” and “We want seats!” while being denied inside access for Super Bowl XLV on Sunday.

After initially being turned away at the gate, approximately 850 fans with tickets in temporary seating sections were relocated to similar or better seats for the game between the Green Bay Packers and Pittsburgh Steelers.

After the game started, the NFL said another 400 fans who were not accommodated with seats in the stadium were eventually taken inside to watch the game on monitors in the North Field Club behind the Pittsburgh bench.

More Super Bowl coverageAguilera flubs anthem Check out the ads AdChoices
“They also had the option of viewing the game from standing room platforms in each corner of the stadium,” the league said in a statement. “In addition, these fans will each receive a refund of triple the cost of the face value of their ticket. The face value of these tickets is $800.”

Denied fans stand outside of a fence at Cowboys Stadium.

(Courtesy of Y! Dallas)

While the league didn’t elaborate on the nature of the problem – only describing a number of sections as “unusable” – fan Amanda Saldana of San Antonio says they were told that “stuff was blocking our seats.”

The Associated Press reported that the temporary seats had been installed in six temporary sections, but they went up so late that the fire marshal didn’t have time to inspect them, according to a police officer standing near an affected area who wouldn’t give his name. The officer said the winter storms that struck Dallas earlier had set back work on the temporary seats.

The AP also reported that about 15,000 temporary seats were added to the stadium in a bid to set the record for the largest crowd in Super Bowl history. The temporary seats filled open platforms that are usually standing-room only “party pass” areas for Cowboys games.

“The safety of fans attending the Super Bowl was paramount in making the decision and the NFL, Dallas Cowboys and City of Arlington officials are in agreement with the resolution,” the NFL said. “We regret the situation and apologize for the inconvenience it caused. We will conduct a full review of this matter.”

The scene was reminiscent of the stadium’s opening football game in September 2009 when nearly 30,000 fans with party passes tried to get into an area with a capacity of about 15,000. Arlington fire officials and security had to step in to control the crowd.

Ron Soncini, a Steelers fan from Reno, Nev., wasn’t happy with the NFL’s offer or the event planners.

“The game is what I came here to see, not to be rejected,” he said about 90 minutes before kickoff. “I don’t understand this. This is ridiculous. They should have known these seats weren’t going to be available before now.”

Many of the rejected fans said they were skeptical of an unofficial refund letter given to them at the gate. They also were opposed to watching the game in a hospitality area.

Phil McCollough of Orlando, Fla., thought he would be attending his 13th Super Bowl. He paid $1,700 for his ticket.

“I could have been home playing with my grandchildren instead of this,” McCollough said. “The stadium looks great, but right now it is my least favorite in America.”

Others said they had paid up to $3,000 for their seats and were not happy about the NFL’s offer to give them three times the amount in a refund.

“What about our travel and hotel expenses,” one man shouted.

themadfanatic
02-07-2011, 10:40 AM
Ppl paid 3000 on stub hub and places like that their only gonna tripple the face value of 900. But those same fans were allowed on the field after the game,given free food and drinks and they were given free tickets to sb46 so that's kind of cool

Hadez
02-07-2011, 10:47 AM
Ppl paid 3000 on stub hub and places like that their only gonna tripple the face value of 900. But those same fans were allowed on the field after the game,given free food and drinks and they were given free tickets to sb46 so that's kind of cool

I have traveled to texas at times of big college games and I can tell you it is not cheap...can only imagine how much it is for a Super Bowl. Hotels are smart, they look at schedules and raise hotel prices like mad.

If someone paid 3k for the ticket my educated guess is they probably dropped another 1-2k in travel expenses.

Then not to have seats for the game.

People pay this money for a memory....and Jerry Jones and the NFL made it a bad memory because they tried to break the record and did it poorly.

themadfanatic
02-07-2011, 10:59 AM
I agree they didn't get there moneys worth but 2700 back and food n drinks, getting to go ON THE FIELD(not a bad memory) and free tickets to the next superbowl isn't bad. And as far as flying to texas it depends where they flew from

themadfanatic
02-07-2011, 11:00 AM
And they got a pretty cool story out of it,their bad superbowl experience. Plus I'm sure they still had an ok week leading up to the SB

LSIGRAD09
02-07-2011, 11:44 AM
Surely Jones and Co. had enough time to install this stuff. Seriously?
How did they manage to screw it up?

Hadez
02-07-2011, 12:01 PM
Surely Jones and Co. had enough time to install this stuff. Seriously?
How did they manage to screw it up?

It seems the weather delayed the construction and the fire marshall inspection.

On a side note it is nice to know these things can not be purchased in Dallas.

They can be purchased in Vegas...well least they use to be 20 years ago I should say.

CoryWinget81
02-07-2011, 12:13 PM
You can't blame Jerry Jones for the weather, nor can you blame him for fans paying 3x PLUS on face value for tickets.

I think the 400 people that didn't get a seat were very generously compensated.

12and4
02-07-2011, 01:11 PM
You can't blame Jerry Jones for the weather, nor can you blame him for fans paying 3x PLUS on face value for tickets.

Yeah i think they got like $2400 plus they got to go on the field

RealBronco
02-07-2011, 01:56 PM
i think initially i'd be pretty upset if i were a fan of either team because you pay all that money to see your team play in the big game and then get left out....

HOWEVER, getting three times what i paid for my seat, plus all that other bonus stuff and tickets to the next SB would dull the pain a little bit i think. but it probably wouldn't be as cool if my team wasn't in the next SB. plus you'd still have to pay to travel to said game.

Foez
02-07-2011, 02:36 PM
All of you are leaving out one key part...it wasn't Jerry Jones it was the NFL that hired the contractors. The work wasn't done to par and the NFL knew and tried to get it fixed but failed. That's why its the NFL that is refunding them money/tickets to the next superbowl.

vcooper3
02-07-2011, 07:27 PM
Receiving tickets to SB 46 is great for fans of the Packers or Steelers contingent on their favorite team making it back to the big game next year in Indy. Otherwise, they got shafted and had a right to be mad.

Southstander
02-07-2011, 08:02 PM
I am just glad the pulled the plug before it got really ugly. Can you imagine if they did not do it and the temporary seats collapsed.

Charlie Brown
02-07-2011, 10:43 PM
Ron Soncini, a Steelers fan from Reno, Nev., wasn’t happy with the NFL’s offer or the event planners.

“The game is what I came here to see, not to be rejected,” he said about 90 minutes before kickoff. “I don’t understand this. This is ridiculous. They should have known these seats weren’t going to be available before now.”

Many of the rejected fans said they were skeptical of an unofficial refund letter given to them at the gate. They also were opposed to watching the game in a hospitality area.

Phil McCollough of Orlando, Fla., thought he would be attending his 13th Super Bowl. He paid $1,700 for his ticket.

“I could have been home playing with my grandchildren instead of this,” McCollough said. “The stadium looks great, but right now it is my least favorite in America.”

Others said they had paid up to $3,000 for their seats and were not happy about the NFL’s offer to give them three times the amount in a refund.

“What about our travel and hotel expenses,” one man shouted.

I hate the Steelers but have to agree with them. They wanted to go there for the memory of seeing their team in the Super Bowl. To make up for it the NFL gives them some money, free food and drinks, and tickets to a future Super Bowl that could be teams that are not their teams. Maybe Bronco fans would be happy to go to a Super Bowl to watch the Raiders against the Cowboys (or some other crap like that) but to me that would be a slap in the face.

BluenOrnge4Life
02-08-2011, 01:07 AM

What about the Packers fans who came to see the their favorite team win the Super Bowl?

Giving them tickets to next years Super Bowl isn't the same because there's no guarantee the packers will even be there again next year.

IMO you can't put a price on life memories, and being at the Super Bowl that your favorite team won is not something you can really put a price on for many fans. I would much rather take the seat than the cash.

Southstander
02-08-2011, 01:10 AM
They should have put some in Jerry's Box as well as other suites.

Hadez
02-08-2011, 09:44 AM
I hate the Steelers but have to agree with them. They wanted to go there for the memory of seeing their team in the Super Bowl. To make up for it the NFL gives them some money, free food and drinks, and tickets to a future Super Bowl that could be teams that are not their teams. Maybe Bronco fans would be happy to go to a Super Bowl to watch the Raiders against the Cowboys (or some other crap like that) but to me that would be a slap in the face.

yep, we are on the same page here Charlie

Jerry's box was full with a bunch of big name people from the NFL and former White House people. If 20k people could not get into the stadium I doubt they boot even one person from his luxury box.

Charlie Brown
02-08-2011, 09:53 AM
yep, we are on the same page here Charlie

Good :)

Also, if anybody thinks my Broncos mention was smackish, it wasn't my intent. I was trying to find an analogy - if the Broncos were in the Super Bowl would you not want to see it? If you had tickets and still werent' allowed in the Super Bowl to watch the game, would you really be happy if they let you in on the opposing team's celebration, free drinks, and food and tickets to a Raiders Super Bowl?

If the Browns were in the Super Bowl, I'd want to see it in person. To be offered a chance to watch two of the other 31 teams in the Super Bowl in person, would not be good enough to me and I don't think it would be good enough for any other fan.

Alastor
02-08-2011, 10:17 AM
I agree they didn't get there moneys worth but 2700 back and food n drinks, getting to go ON THE FIELD(not a bad memory) and free tickets to the next superbowl isn't bad. And as far as flying to texas it depends where they flew from

It also depends on whether or not they were there to see their team or not, and whether or not their team is there again next year.

If it was me, I know I would simply sell the tickets if the Broncos weren't there.

CoryWinget81
02-08-2011, 11:25 AM
What about the Packers fans who came to see the their favorite team win the Super Bowl?

Giving them tickets to next years Super Bowl isn't the same because there's no guarantee the packers will even be there again next year.

IMO you can't put a price on life memories, and being at the Super Bowl that your favorite team won is not something you can really put a price on for many fans. I would much rather take the seat than the cash.

If they were Packers fans then they got to go on the field that their team just won a SB on.

BluenOrnge4Life
02-08-2011, 11:27 AM
If they were Packers fans then they got to go on the field that their team just won a SB on.

That's enough? Nevermind the fact that they just got denied watching their team win a Super Bowl from the stadium they paid $900 to watch it from.

That may be good enough for you, but it's not for a lot of people who paid a lot of money to see the game. A ticket to next years game is thanks, but no thanks.

Like I said, there's no guarantee GB will be there next year, and there's even less guarantee they will win it next year if they are there.

CoryWinget81
02-08-2011, 11:43 AM
That's enough? Nevermind the fact that they just got denied watching their team win a Super Bowl from the stadium they paid $900 to watch it from.

That may be good enough for you, but it's not for a lot of people who paid a lot of money to see the game. A ticket to next years game is thanks, but no thanks.

Like I said, there's no guarantee GB will be there next year, and there's even less guarantee they will win it next year if they are there.

Yeah, that's enough.

How many people can say they bought a nosebleed seat to watch their team in the Super Bowl, but ended up in an area where they waited on you hand and foot.

How many people can say they got to see the Packers win the Super Bowl IN DALLAS and then got to get on the field?

They were generously compensated, IMO. It wasn't Jerry Jones' fault in any way, and honestly, they didn't have to compensate them as much as they did.

If they sold their seat to next years SB for 3k (because you know they're gonna be premier seats) the 2700 bucks they got for this SB, plus the thousands they got in food, beverage, and merchandise PLUS getting to go on the field which NO average (in wealth, not in spirit) fan gets to do...

...that sounds fair to me considering no one can control the weather.

They could have refunded them the face value of the ticket and told them to take a hike.

Alastor
02-08-2011, 11:45 AM

But by the same token, they've gotten access to things that money can't buy no matter how much of it is offered.

There are certain things a person just DOES NOT get to do, like be on the field after your team wins the Super Bowl. Bill Gates couldn't have gotten on that field at that moment.

Former President Bush, John Madden, and Condoleezza Rice were at that game. They were not on that field when that team won the Super Bowl.

Jones, the NFL, and the Packers have done their absolute best to remedy the situation from what I can see.

It's unfortunate that this happened, but a genuine effort to show remorse and to compensate those that were inconvenienced has been made as well.

What exactly would make this right in your opinion? What would it take to remedy the situation to your satisfaction?

BluenOrnge4Life
02-08-2011, 12:47 PM
What exactly would make this right in your opinion? What would it take to remedy the situation to your satisfaction?

It's very simple: Be able to watch your favorite team win the Super Bowl INSIDE the stadium. I don't care about all the rest of the crap. I don't care to be on the field, I don't want money, I don't want Super Bowl Tickets next year.

I don't know why it's so impossible for some of you to understand that people have different views on this.

If I paid $900 to watch my favorite team in the Super Bowl, I would be outraged if I got there and found out I couldn't.

Frenchy180
02-08-2011, 01:39 PM
It's very simple: Be able to watch your favorite team win the Super Bowl INSIDE the stadium. I don't care about all the rest of the crap. I don't care to be on the field, I don't want money, I don't want Super Bowl Tickets next year.

I don't know why it's so impossible for some of you to understand that people have different views on this.

If I paid $900 to watch my favorite team in the Super Bowl, I would be outraged if I got there and found out I couldn't.

It's my understanding that after some complaining they were given standing room only access, three times compensation for their ticket, some free food, on field for the post game... and tickets to super bowl 46, now unless I'm mistaken, that's insanely good compensation.

BluenOrnge4Life
02-09-2011, 10:34 AM
I guess the compensation wasn't enough for some people. :P

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81e3ab77/article/dallas-lawsuit-filed-over-super-bowl-seat-problems?module=HP_headlines

Alastor
02-09-2011, 10:42 AM

And my niece want a pony that flies for her birthday. She really wants a purple one, but says that a pink one would be okay too.

Bad news: She's not getting one. They're not real. That's not possible.

Let's speak in terms of things we can actually get done.

I think we all understand we have different views. The damage is done however. We're not talking about what ought to be done - no amount of wishing is going to change reality. The people that missed their seats missed their seats.

Let's talk about what is and solutions that can actually be attained.

What would make this right in your opinion?

Don't talk about what should have happened. Talk about what actually happened and what should be done about it now.

Charlie Brown
02-09-2011, 10:44 AM

I ABSOLUTELY agree and I am glad to see that they are suing today.

What the NFL did was absolute fraud and deceptive sales practices.

They bought those seats. They were not given those seats. So, the NFL decides that "any game is just as good". What the NFL fails to realise is that there are things called fans. These fans like their teams. They don't like other teams. They like their team. So, they want to see their team win the Super Bowl. They don't want to get nice seats to watch some other team win a Super Bowl.

Charlie Brown
02-09-2011, 10:46 AM

Don't talk about what should have happened. Talk about what actually happened and how it could be made right in your opinion.

What do I think would make it right, I if I missed the Browns Super Bowl win because they refused to recognize the seats that I paid for?

Hmm, lifetime season tickets and free food and beverages and guaranteed box seats for every Super Bowl that my team is in.

Alastor
02-09-2011, 10:52 AM
What do I think would make it right, I if I missed the Browns Super Bowl win because they refused to recognize the seats that I paid for?

Hmm, lifetime season tickets and free food and beverages and guaranteed box seats for every Super Bowl that my team is in.

I'd take two free season tickets for life - Club Level however, as that's where my seats currently are. With an option for a family member to maintain the rights (at market value - not free. My nephew didn't get screwed, I did) upon my death.

That would make me go away quietly, happily, and very, very quickly.

Reasonably speaking, I'd take that in a heartbeat. Nothing can make up for a lost memory like that, but this would go a long way towards making new ones.

Charlie Brown
02-09-2011, 11:04 AM
I'd take two free season tickets for life - Club Level however, as that's where my seats currently are. With an option for a family member to maintain the rights (at market value - not free. My nephew didn't get screwed, I did) upon my death.

That would make me go away quietly, happily, and very, very quickly.

Reasonably speaking, I'd take that in a heartbeat. Nothing can make up for a lost memory like that, but this would go a long way towards making new ones.

The reason I think what I proposed is better is because, season tickets are nice and all as are free food and drink. If I was promised only box seats and free food when my team finally made it to the Super Bowl - well, what if they never do make it back to the Super Bowl? In that case, the lifetime season tickets with free food and beverage would be the compensation.

Sure, one memory of my team winning/getting to a Super Bowl is ruined. I would say living it up in style with free food and beverage every time my team made it to future Super Bowls would more than make up for it.

But, realistically, the NFL would never go for that. Instead, these people will probably get some money. I'd be so angry I would never attend, buy, or watch the NFL again in my life.

BluenOrnge4Life
02-09-2011, 11:40 AM
And my niece want a pony that flies for her birthday. She really wants a purple one, but says that a pink one would be okay too.

Let's speak in terms of things we can actually get done. This is like comparing apples to oranges, Alastor. NFL Tickets to the Super Bowl are items, not pink flying ponies.

Real items that people can and DID purchase. Real items that people got jipped out of by The NFL.

I think we all understand we have different views. The damage is done however. We're not talking about what ought to be done - no amount of wishing is going to change reality. The people that missed their seats missed their seats.

Don't talk about what should have happened. Talk about what actually happened and what should be done about it now.

What actually happened is Jerry Jones got greedy - big surprise there. Dallas did a horrible job hosting the Super Bowl and this was just the icing on the cake.

Anything after the fact is a pointless gesture for many. Kind of like cheating on your girlfriend then bringing her flowers and apologizing. It might work for some girls, but some just won't ever forgive you for it.

Like I said before, no amount of money/tickets can EVER replace some fans being able to sit in their seat and witness their team win a Super Bowl.

Alastor
02-09-2011, 11:48 AM
This is like comparing apples to oranges, Alastor. NFL Tickets to the Super Bowl are items, not pink flying ponies.

Real items that people can and DID purchase. Real items that people got jipped out of by The NFL.

What actually happened is Jerry Jones got greedy - big surprise there. Dallas did a horrible job hosting the Super Bowl and this was just the icing on the cake.

Anything after the fact is a pointless gesture for many. Kind of like cheating on your girlfriend then bringing her flowers and apologizing. It might work for some girls, but some just won't ever forgive you for it.

Like I said before, no amount of money/tickets can EVER replace some fans being able to sit in their seat and witness their team win a Super Bowl.

But that's not what I asked.

I asked a fairly simple question, really. I'm not talking about what should have happened or what we'd do different if we could go back in time.

The situation is what the situation is.

You responded to Cory by saying that what had been offered to the people who were screwed was insufficient. I asked very plainly a number of times now what, in your opinion, would be sufficient.

They DID miss the game. It WAS poorly planned. Whether it ought to have been that way or not is another issue. THIS is what actually happened.

So, "What would make it right in your opinion? What should the NFL offer as compensation now?"

FlowdaBroncoFan
02-09-2011, 11:57 AM
But that's not what I asked.

I asked a fairly simple question, really. I'm not talking about what should have happened or what we'd do different if we could go back in time.

The situation is what the situation is.

You responded to Cory by saying that what had been offered to the people who were screwed was insufficient. I asked very plainly a number of times now what, in your opinion, would be sufficient.

They DID miss the game. It WAS poorly planned. Whether it ought to have been that way or not is another issue. THIS is what actually happened.

So, "What would make it right in your opinion? What should the NFL offer as compensation now?"

Well it was 400 people or something like that so my initial idea went out the window which was be down on the field during the game. After much more thought, I think what they got is sufficient enough. I dont know what they payed, but i am assuming somewhere around $1K. So that means they got $3K in there pocket plus free drinks and food ($200-$300) as well as a ticket to another SB (probably premium seating well worth $2K-$3K).

The NFL CANT pay for memories. They can only replace the monatary value of the ticket. These fans are lucky they got anything but that. I would be exstatic to be able to go on the field after my team just won the SB and meet and grret with the team and big shots walking around.

Alastor
02-09-2011, 12:04 PM
Well it was 400 people or something like that so my initial idea went out the window which was be down on the field during the game. After much more thought, I think what they got is sufficient enough.

Okay, that's what I wanted to know. I'd like to hear BO's take on it still however.

RealBronco
02-09-2011, 01:08 PM

agreed. although that one bit at the end where one of the fans yelled about their hotel and travel expenses: well, getting 3x compensation for your ticket has got to cover your travel and hotel expenses. i highly doubt anyone paid over a grand for their plane tickets to Dallas etc.

but overall, there's no compensation that would be sufficient enough, although i would take it because that's the only option at that point. it's good that there is a lawsuit because the whole thing is pure bs.

that would have been a great idea. there are plenty of box seats in that stadium or suites... it's something that all those big names would have had to deal with due to the incompetency of the NFL and Jones. I'm sure there was room for the 400 people that got put out.

i'm not saying they should kick out Bush or Madden or anyone, but most of those stars have no vested interest in either team most of the time, they're just there behind the glass for their little bit of status claim. they can deal with a few hundred common folk for a few hours. like REAL fans.

Yeah, that's enough.

How many people can say they bought a nosebleed seat to watch their team in the Super Bowl, but ended up in an area where they waited on you hand and foot.

How many people can say they got to see the Packers win the Super Bowl IN DALLAS and then got to get on the field?

They were generously compensated, IMO. It wasn't Jerry Jones' fault in any way, and honestly, they didn't have to compensate them as much as they did.

that sounds fair to me considering no one can control the weather

i don't know. it might be generous or moderate compensation, but i think the fans deserve even more treatment than they have been offered. again i'm glad there is a lawsuit. hopefully this will open the NFL's eyes. your fans make you the money, maybe don't piss them off by lying to them.

i don't think getting to go onto the field is good enough. it's after the fact, after the game...there's no guarantee you even get to see, or shake hands with or get autographs with any of the team etc. and what's the point after not even being able to watch the game?

also, the weather didn't lie to the fans. the NFL tried to force more seats in a stadium that already holds more seats than any other stadium in the country (which should have been good enough). i'd rather go to buy tickets and get the "Sold Out" message than buy fake tickets, spend money on travel and hotel and time away from my family only to be told my seats don't really exist.

it's not about the compensation at this point. it's like being offered money to replace your child who died in a car accident (since Al decided to be outlandish with examples).

i know the weather "delayed" the construction (which i don't buy...it didn't snow INSIDE the stadium) and the inspection (also don't buy) but that's still no excuse. if the NFL wanted to break some seating record, they should have thought further ahead and installed those temporary seats RIGHT after the Championship games...or even before. they've known all year that the stadium in Arlington would be the site of this Super Bowl. they could have started construction on more seating after the regular season was over.

this whole: "the weather messed everything up" excuse doesn't fly with me.

But by the same token, they've gotten access to things that money can't buy no matter how much of it is offered.

There are certain things a person just DOES NOT get to do, like be on the field after your team wins the Super Bowl. Bill Gates couldn't have gotten on that field at that moment.

Former President Bush, John Madden, and Condoleezza Rice were at that game. They were not on that field when that team won the Super Bowl.

Jones, the NFL, and the Packers have done their absolute best to remedy the situation from what I can see.

It's unfortunate that this happened, but a genuine effort to show remorse and to compensate those that were inconvenienced has been made as well.

i guarantee you if someone like George W. Bush or John Madden or Bill Gates wanted on the field, they'd get on the field. you can't possibly believe NO ONE is allowed on the field. if they wanted on the field, the NFL would say: "right this way Mr. President" all the NFL cares about is money (hence this whole fiasco to begin with), you think they'd turn down an asinine amount of money from some big name person for field access? get real. they probably wouldn't even demand money.

Let's speak in terms of things we can actually get done.

haha WHAT? ponies? flying ponies? what are you talking about? we're talking about reality here Al. the problem with the majority of your arguments is that they aren't realistic. we can't argue or discuss whether your niece is going to get a pony berthed from Pegasus' ancestry and try to figure out what color it will be because that's not real. Getting screwed out of seats in a Super Bowl you were promised is real.

of course we can talk about what SHOULD have happened. like i said above, the NFL and the Cowboys organization had over a two months to install extra seats that would pass a fire inspection. in fact they could have had them installed and had the inspection done last month. but they waited until the last minute, for whatever reason.

i get where the others are coming from. i SORT of get where you're coming from, minus the flying purple pony bit.

and we ARE and CAN talk about what ought to happen. "ought" isn't past tense. you even asked what ought to happen.

i understand the NFL and the Cowboys organization (why you bring up the Packers is confusing, they didn't screw up) are trying to resolve this to the best that they feel is right... but they obviously don't understand that as a fan, this could be a once in a life-time opportunity.

i'm not made of money like John Madden and that "row of the rich" they showed on tv. so for me, the chance to go to a Super Bowl in which my favorite team of all time is competing in (and eventually won) is either: A. NEVER GOING TO HAPPEN. or B. I saved up tax returns from two years or more in order to get to go, and penny pinched on everything for two years or so... and then when i finally get there and i'm pumped and have all my Denver Bronco gear on and i'm ready to watch my team play win or lose... only to be told: "uh... yeah, so we tried to install extra seats like..last week, and turns out we didn't have time to finish, and the fire marshal wasn't able to clear their safety so... you don't get to watch your team play... but here, have some hotdogs on us, and a few Cokes and we'll let you on the field afterward, even though your team might lose and you may not want to be on the field... oh and we'll triple your ticket price which MAY cover your hotel and travel...but we don't know or care about that. and here's a ticket to next year's Super Bowl which probably won't feature your team anyway."

no that's not good enough. if i'm just a casual fan that can afford to go to Super Bowl every year like the four old guys in the Visa Commercials, then sure, that compensation is fine.

it's not really about the compensation at that point, which i think many are failing to understand. it's the principle of the thing. these fans were looked straight in the face and LIED to. and then they were handed money and free stuff in an attempt to make them go away.

to answer your question though: the ONLY thing i would accept without suing them or involving myself in the existing lawsuit would be that the NFL (not Denver) would have to give me season tickets probably luxury box level (or maybe the 50 yard line or something, because sometimes that's more fun) for LIFE, plus free tickets (let's say 5 so that i can take family or friends) to the Super Bowl for LIFE.

that way no matter what teams are in, I can decide whether to go or not...and be guaranteed a free ride to the SB my team DOES play in, should they make it back.

so basically, that would get me to go away quietly. FREE tickets for LIFE to every game my team plays in pre, regular or post-season home or away, and FREE tickets for LIFE to every Super Bowl.

that sounds about fair to me for being lied to and for not upholding their end of the bargain.

BroncoFanNC
02-09-2011, 01:15 PM
A-listers Jennifer Aniston, Adam Sandler and Owen Wilson all took part in a pre-game NFL broadcast.
Throwing a football around on the field in Dallas' Cowboy Stadium just hours before the start of the game, actor Owen Wilson literally looked like he was having a ball.
A rugged-up Jennifer Aniston walked the sidelines of the huge stadium.
Wrapped up in a scarf, the 41-year-old looked cosy for the unusually chilly Texan weather in her warm clothes.

I wonder if they had really bad seats too.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y149/sean8642/owen.jpg

Alastor
02-09-2011, 01:21 PM
You guys crack me up.

It's a simple question. If you're not content with what the NFL did to try to make it up to the people in question, what would you be content with?

If you have a reasonable solution, offer one. If you're not after a genuine and fair remedy, then what are you after?

Someone went after another poster saying that what the NFL did was inadequate yet failed to offer any ideas that they would find reasonable, even when asked repeatedly.

I was just curious as to whether people were interested in fairness for other people or if they just wanted to complain a little bit. I suppose I got my answer.

Frenchy180
02-09-2011, 01:58 PM
You guys crack me up.

It's a simple question. If you're not content with what the NFL did to try to make it up to the people in question, what would you be content with?

If you have a reasonable solution, offer one. If you're not after a genuine and fair remedy, then what are you after?

Someone went after another poster saying that what the NFL did was inadequate yet failed to offer any ideas that they would find reasonable, even when asked repeatedly.

I was just curious as to whether people were interested in fairness for other people or if they just wanted to complain a little bit. I suppose I got my answer.

I'll bite... I think it would be fair to receive two tickets to a future Super Bowl of my choice plus air fare and accommodations plus the cash offered originally, with the ability to pass the tickets and accommodations along in my will.

That's if I want to be fair... If I want the NFL to go above and beyond I want them to make me a member of the "never miss a super bowl club" from that point on.

Alastor
02-09-2011, 02:46 PM
I'll bite... I think it would be fair to receive two tickets to a future Super Bowl of my choice plus air fare and accommodations plus the cash offered originally, with the ability to pass the tickets and accommodations along in my will.

I think this would be okay. Thanks for the answer, Frenchy.

That's if I want to be fair... If I want the NFL to go above and beyond I want them to make me a member of the "never miss a super bowl club" from that point on.

Yeah... I wouldn't count on that. Right now they're trying to get me to pony up 20k for tickets to next season without a season being likely. It's only February and we might not have a game again for another 18 months, and they just want me to let them borrow that money in the meantime?

Pfft.

I think "fair" is about the best you could hope for. Punitive damages would probably be something you'd have to litigate for.

BluenOrnge4Life
02-09-2011, 04:34 PM
You guys crack me up.

I don't know what it is you that you don't understand about my response.

I've said repeatedly that you can't put a price on memories. Nothing the NFL tries to offer will replace that.

Just because you don't agree with my opinion doesn't mean it's not a logical one. I don't know why you tried to turn this into a me against Cory or anything like that discussion, with this comment you made.

I was simply stating that you can't replace memories with gifts/money for some people. There's nothing more to say on it.

RealBronco
02-09-2011, 07:47 PM
I think this would be okay. Thanks for the answer, Frenchy.

Yeah... I wouldn't count on that. Right now they're trying to get me to pony up 20k for tickets to next season without a season being likely. It's only February and we might not have a game again for another 18 months, and they just want me to let them borrow that money in the meantime?

Pfft.

I think "fair" is about the best you could hope for. Punitive damages would probably be something you'd have to litigate for.

well we're not necessarily speaking in "fair" terms.

it wasn't fair that those attendees were given tickets, bought and paid for, and then end up not having seats.

my demands may be outlandish, but i think in that situation that would be "fair" to me. like Frenchy said, i would want Super Bowl tickets for life. on top of season tickets, home, away, pre, regular and post season to Denver Bronco games for the rest of my life.

fair? maybe not to the NFL it doesn't sound fair, but if i were in that situation, i wouldn't find it very fair to travel all the way across the country, stay in a hotel for x amount of days and then get denied, when i had the proper tickets that should have granted me entry and a seat for the game.

*shrugs* on a lesser scale, when i worked at the theater, customers would be upset all the time if there was a technical issue or a power outage etc. but we always gave them TWO re-admission tickets that they could use at any time on any movie (with no restrictions, as some new releases don't allow special engagements). on top of that, if possible they were given the option to finish out the film they had come to see to begin with. unless the equipment was down for the duration.

now THAT is fair. so they miss out on a movie on one night... well that same movie will still be playing for months and they can come back and watch it again on the theater.

some people would flip out over that treatment saying they'd rather have their money back or what have you... but they didn't understand that they were getting to watch their movie, plus come to see another one for free.

in the case of the Super Bowl, you can't just come back and watch the same game live in the stadium again though.

roushmartin6
02-09-2011, 10:36 PM
I would only accept season tickets for life, with one chance to be on the sidelines for a game. NFL and Jerry would have to pay for it, not my team.

Alastor
02-10-2011, 04:37 AM
I don't know what it is you that you don't understand about my response.

I've said repeatedly that you can't put a price on memories. Nothing the NFL tries to offer will replace that.

Okay, so you don't feel it can ever be done and that nothing would be adequate.

I (and many others) would probably disagree with that. Many also think what the NFL did in response already was adequate, while others think a different idea (but an idea none the less) would be better.

You've essentially lashed out at someone for their assertion that the NFL made a decent attempt, but haven't at all even tried to forward a reasonable expectation of what they should have done.

Nothing can make this right to you. So be it. I wouldn't lash out at others that would at least like to see an attempt made, though.

Each to their own.