PDA

View Full Version : Nets and Nuggets reach tenative agreement for Carmelo Anthony

thatkidhunt
02-18-2011, 11:18 AM
Continue to fill thread with updates as they happen.

jcdavey
02-18-2011, 11:34 AM
wow so he's going to siberia lol

Spyder
02-18-2011, 11:35 AM
Pending Carmelo signing the extension....

Finally the Nuggets make a smart move.

ERoyal248
02-18-2011, 11:37 AM
Just saw it, interesting that they're giving this much for him. Good move on the Nets part to wait for him to sign extension.

Southstander
02-18-2011, 11:39 AM
I feel bad for the Nuggets fans that believed he would be a Nug for life.

BluenOrnge4Life
02-18-2011, 11:54 AM
Lol @ the Knicks.

Grab Lebron. Fail.

Go get Melo. Fail.

Southstander
02-18-2011, 11:56 AM
Lol @ the Knicks.

Grab Lebron. Fail.

Go get Melo. Fail.

But they got Stuadimere (SP).

ERoyal248
02-18-2011, 11:58 AM
Nuggets get: 4 1st round picks, Favors, Harris, Murphy,and Uzoh.

Nets get: Melo, Billups, Shelden, Balkman, Ely.

Two things.

1- I would still be surprised if he signs the extension.

2- If Billups is bought out, does he come back to Den or go to a contender, like maybe Miami?

BluenOrnge4Life
02-18-2011, 12:00 PM

Two things.

2- If Billups is bought out, does he come back to Den or go to a contender, like maybe Miami?

I actually think there's a good chance he signs the extensions because he wants the money. As we get closer to the trade deadline, I think Melo is realizing he's potentially leaving 15-20 mil on the table.

Bronco51
02-18-2011, 12:02 PM

Two things.

He wants to finish in Denver and work for the Nuggets in some capacity when he retires. So I think he would come back to Denver. Unless some other contender makes a serious push for him.

The Experience
02-18-2011, 12:02 PM
I actually think there's a good chance he signs the extensions because he wants the money. As we get closer to the trade deadline, I think Melo is realizing he's potentially leaving 15-20 mil on the table.

Also don't forget NJ is moving to Brooklyn soon. So Melo will be in NY soon. I think there is a good chance that he will sign the extension.

Bronco51
02-18-2011, 12:06 PM
With the Nets giving up a King's ransom, even though they are moving into the city, they will be in constant rebuilding mode. I hope his wife enjoys his generosity. He will become irrelevent quickly IMHO.

BluenOrnge4Life
02-18-2011, 12:07 PM
Also don't forget NJ is moving to Brooklyn soon. So Melo will be in NY soon. I think there is a good chance that he will sign the extension.Yes I thought that was common knowledge among Basketball fans, so I didn't mention it. :P

Brooklyn + Jay Z/Rich Russian Billionaire + 3 years $65 Million = Melo ink the dang extension already.

BluenOrnge4Life
02-18-2011, 12:09 PM
With the Nets giving up a King's ransom, even though they are moving into the city, they will be in constant rebuilding mode. I hope his wife enjoys his generosity. He will become irrelevent quickly IMHO.Not if they can convince some big name free agents to come to the Nets now that melo is there.

Bronco51
02-18-2011, 12:13 PM
Not if they can convince some big name free agents to come to the Nets now that melo is there.

If the news about stricter cap numbers are true, I doubt they will get many stars wanting to play there.

ERoyal248
02-18-2011, 12:14 PM

Two things.

He wants to finish in Denver and work for the Nuggets in some capacity when he retires. So I think he would come back to Denver. Unless some other contender makes a serious push for him.

Ok, that's good, and i could see Miami go for Billups, they need a PG badly. I'd like to see him stay in Denver.

the0rangecrush
02-18-2011, 12:14 PM
Not if they can convince some big name free agents to come to the Nets now that melo is there.

Ya Chris Paul and melo are close friends, and have openly stated they would like to play with each other.

The Experience
02-18-2011, 12:15 PM
Yes I thought that was common knowledge among Basketball fans, so I didn't mention it. :P

Brooklyn + Jay Z/Rich Russian Billionaire + 3 years $65 Million = Melo ink the dang extension already.
Well, I have heard that Melo isn't happy with the Knicks for failing to put together a good offer.

Ya I could see them strongly push for Chris Paul or Deron Williams.

BluenOrnge4Life
02-18-2011, 12:16 PM
Well, I have heard that Melo isn't happy with the Knicks for failing to put together a good offer.

Ya I could see them strongly push for Chris Paul or Deron Williams.

I've heard that too. That's another reason I think Melo might sign with The Nets - the guy won't admit it but he's a diva. He wants to be courted around by a team who is willing to give up whatever they have to in order to get him.

The Experience
02-18-2011, 12:22 PM
I've heard that too. That's another reason I think Melo might sign with The Nets - the guy won't admit it but he's a diva. He wants to be courted around by a team who is willing to give up whatever they have to in order to get him.

Well it looks like he is either gonna get dealt to NJ or stick in Denver for the remainder of the year. In the case that he will lose 15-20 million if he stays here for the rest of the year. That could factor in as well.

BluenOrnge4Life
02-18-2011, 12:25 PM
Well it looks like he is either gonna get dealt to NJ or stick in Denver for the remainder of the year. In the case that he will lose 15-20 million if he stays here for the rest of the year. That could factor in as well.Most likely. Although, I wouldn't be surprised if the Knicks see this potential Nets deal and panic. The Knicks are taking a HUGE gamble by thinking Melo will be available in the offseason to just sign with them. At this point, I think the Nets/Knicks will land him before the trade deadline.

The Nets being back in this thing gives us a lot of leverage against NY.

The Experience
02-18-2011, 12:35 PM
Melo has denied the meeting with Nets.

Spyder
02-18-2011, 12:36 PM
Carmelo tells the AP that the meeting with the Nets is news to him.

He's acting like a complete goon now, IMO.

The Experience
02-18-2011, 12:38 PM

Honestly I don't buy it. I don't think this statement effects anything.

the0rangecrush
02-18-2011, 12:38 PM

He is really starting to piss me off I'm really fed up with him at this point.

Spyder
02-18-2011, 12:43 PM
Honestly I don't buy it. I don't think this statement effects anything.

Whether it does or not isn't really my point.

What this statement shows is that Carmelo is still horribly immature and has the "my way or no way" type of attitude that so many swore he had gotten away from in the past 2-3 seasons.

BroncoFanBoy
02-18-2011, 12:51 PM
Hopefully Billups comes back here again someday..

Glad we traded Melo finally, but it sucks that Billups had to go too. You will be missed Chauncey. :sad:

the0rangecrush
02-18-2011, 12:53 PM
Hopefully Billups comes back here again someday..

Glad we traded Melo finally, but it sucks that Billups had to go too. You will be missed Chauncey. :sad:

Woah buddy nobody has been traded yet, we are not that lucky:thumb:

BroncoFanBoy
02-18-2011, 12:56 PM
Woah buddy nobody has been traded yet, we are not that lucky:thumb:

Yes true, but if/once Melo signs the extension with NJ, then we have a deal.

BluenOrnge4Life
02-18-2011, 01:43 PM

Yep and if he doesn't want to go to the Nets, or the Knicks don't want to trade for him, I say trade him to Toronto for some snow shovels.

Atwnbroncfan
02-18-2011, 02:01 PM
Yes true, but if/once Melo signs the extension with NJ, then we have a deal.

Thats a big IF right now. Melo has showed his hand. Stars have figured it out in the NBA they have all the leverage. This has gotta be stopped. Knicks may get a top player in the nba for peanuts. NBA is about to lose all its credibility.

Whats really pissing me off is melo is at the all star festivites saying how WE really dont want him anymore. I used to love this guy. Now I absolutely hate him, more than lebron.

BluenOrnge4Life
02-18-2011, 02:04 PM
Thats a big IF right now. Melo has showed his hand. Stars have figured it out in the NBA they have all the leverage. This has gotta be stopped. Knicks may get a top player in the nba for peanuts. NBA is about to lose all its credibility.

I'm about fed up with the NBA to be honest. Why don't we just have like 10 teams that play every year for the championship?

If this keeps up, the NBA is going to be horrible to watch unless you are a fan of a big market team.

demonicbroncos
02-18-2011, 02:38 PM
I'm about fed up with the NBA to be honest. Why don't we just have like 10 teams that play every year for the championship?

If this keeps up, the NBA is going to be horrible to watch unless you are a fan of a big market team.

This is why I love the NFL. Nobody had the seahawks going to the playoffs last year.

martz11
02-18-2011, 02:45 PM

This is exactly why I hate the NBA. Basketball is boring enough for me to watch but I seriously sit back and watch a Sixers vs Hawks game and laugh my butt off knowing that those 2 teams have absolutly no chance to win anything the next 3 years minimum.

I can predict that at the end of the year it's gonna be either the Lakers, Celtics, Spurs or Heat in the finals. Everyone else is just playing for nothing IMO.

Broncoholic3233
02-18-2011, 02:57 PM
This is exactly why I hate the NBA. Basketball is boring enough for me to watch but I seriously sit back and watch a Sixers vs Hawks game and laugh my butt off knowing that those 2 teams have absolutly no chance to win anything the next 3 years minimum.

I can predict that at the end of the year it's gonna be either the Lakers, Celtics, Spurs or Heat in the finals. Everyone else is just playing for nothing IMO.

Eh, its like that in any sport. It's especially easy to say who those teams will be 50+ games into the season.

No one would've said the Spurs would be this good before the season started.

That is not a reason to hate the NBA.

The Refs is a reason. The lack of defense is a reason. But not that

martz11
02-18-2011, 04:27 PM
Eh, its like that in any sport. It's especially easy to say who those teams will be 50+ games into the season.

No one would've said the Spurs would be this good before the season started.

That is not a reason to hate the NBA.

The Refs is a reason. The lack of defense is a reason. But not that

50+ games into the season? uh they all were favorites before that. And it'll be the same next season. Hockey and football are the most unpredictable. Baseball iis the next closest at beingpredictable. I could go on and on but its not the topic of the thread.

milehighireland
02-18-2011, 05:47 PM

It kinda is already tbh, not meaning to sound fairweather or anything but it's the sort of league it is, its starting to seem like a waste supporting a team that isn't the lakers, celts, heat, bulls, etc. because it is as sure as anything that the championship will end up in one of those places. No surprises... like pretty much ever, there's hardly any instance like where a 5 seed giants team or a 6 seed packers team go on a run in the playoffs and win in the SB...

Even the blackhawks won the stanley cup from #4 last year, and the nhl plays the same amount of games a season as the nba..

BroncoFanBoy
02-18-2011, 08:47 PM

I agree. It's always the same teams competing every year.

The eastern conference even has teams with losing records in the playoffs

12and4
02-18-2011, 09:19 PM
Dammit I want billups

BluenOrnge4Life
02-19-2011, 12:52 AM
Most likely. Although, I wouldn't be surprised if the Knicks see this potential Nets deal and panic. The Knicks are taking a HUGE gamble by thinking Melo will be available in the offseason to just sign with them. At this point, I think the Nets/Knicks will land him before the trade deadline. The Nets being back in this thing gives us a lot of leverage against NY.

I think I may have got it right. :P

http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/nba/153507/report-knicks-up-offer-for-melo-closing-in

The Knicks have reportedly upped their offer in the Carmelo Anthony trade fiasco to include Danilo Gallinari, Raymond Felton, Wilson Chandler, Eddy Curry, and a first round pick to be acquired later for Anthony, Chauncey Billups, and what writer Marc Spears calls "fillers."

This is way more than Denver should be expecting, and New York probably won't budge from this offer at the end of the day. Because this offer is exponentially better than any actionable offer that Denver can get, or that Melo is likely to allow, look for things to start moving quickly. Separate reports have indicated that Melo should have an offer to consider by the end of the weekend, and Denver still needs to move other assets before the deadline. Reports that New Jersey had emerged as a potential or favored destination were laughable, but they may have created enough confusion out there for Knicks assets to still be marketable. Once this domino falls, look for the rest of the league's trades to start following, so owners should start making their preemptive moves, asap.

Spice 1
02-19-2011, 07:31 AM
Looks like the Knicks are running out of ways to screw this up.

Atwnbroncfan
02-19-2011, 09:41 AM
I think I may have got it right. :P

http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/nba/153507/report-knicks-up-offer-for-melo-closing-in

The Knicks have reportedly upped their offer in the Carmelo Anthony trade fiasco to include Danilo Gallinari, Raymond Felton, Wilson Chandler, Eddy Curry, and a first round pick to be acquired later for Anthony, Chauncey Billups, and what writer Marc Spears calls "fillers."

This is way more than Denver should be expecting, and New York probably won't budge from this offer at the end of the day. Because this offer is exponentially better than any actionable offer that Denver can get, or that Melo is likely to allow, look for things to start moving quickly. Separate reports have indicated that Melo should have an offer to consider by the end of the weekend, and Denver still needs to move other assets before the deadline. Reports that New Jersey had emerged as a potential or favored destination were laughable, but they may have created enough confusion out there for Knicks assets to still be marketable. Once this domino falls, look for the rest of the league's trades to start following, so owners should start making their preemptive moves, asap.

Either it looks like the FO has done well. Id prefer the Nets package but id be content with the upped NYK package.

BluenOrnge4Life
02-19-2011, 09:47 AM
Either it looks like the FO has done well. Id prefer the Nets package but id be content with the upped NYK package.

I agree. I was worried the FO waited too long to pull the trigger, but it looks as if they knew Melo didn't want to leave the money on the table - so he would force a trade somewhere before the deadline - and they played that card well.

The Experience
02-19-2011, 10:58 AM
Knicks are offering a choice of Gallinari or Fields to go along with Curry, Felton and Chandler and 1st.

Fields all day!

Atwnbroncfan
02-19-2011, 01:02 PM
Knicks are offering a choice of Gallinari or Fields to go along with Curry, Felton and Chandler and 1st.

Fields all day!

If we take that deal we'd get gallinari over fields. Our FO likes him better.

The Experience
02-19-2011, 02:38 PM
If we take that deal we'd get gallinari over fields. Our FO likes him better.

I don't see why. Fields is by far the superior player.

The Experience
02-19-2011, 03:25 PM
More news. Looks like Denver wants Fields and Mozgov along with Chandler, Felton and Curry plus the 1st rounder.

Broncoholic JS
02-19-2011, 09:03 PM
Carmelo will never win a title in New Jersey, his chances were and are better here of doing that. I don't understand why he would want to sign there as opposed to here.

Losing Chauncey hurts, because I was hoping he would retire a Nugget.

Thanks for hyping us up only to let us down....hard Carmelo!

JakeNbake
02-19-2011, 09:06 PM
Carmelo will never win a title in New Jersey, his chances were and are better here of doing that. I don't understand why he would want to sign there as opposed to here.

He's going to New York we all know it.

Atwnbroncfan
02-19-2011, 10:49 PM

Melo was never going to win a title anywhere. He met with NJN today, and NYK yesterday. We will see what we get but im hoping its the NJN deal. 2 starters plus 3 1st rd picks over the next 2 years. But NYK new package aint bad either. The Nuggets are doing a lot better than I though they would in this situation. Somehow they have made the offers get better and better.

Broncoholic3233
02-19-2011, 10:58 PM
Melo was never going to win a title anywhere. He met with NJN today, and NYK yesterday. We will see what we get but im hoping its the NJN deal. 2 starters plus 3 1st rd picks over the next 2 years. But NYK new package aint bad either. The Nuggets are doing a lot better than I though they would in this situation. Somehow they have made the offers get better and better.

Nets don't feel confident after the meeting.

Knicks won't feel as much pressure and decrease the offer.

BluenOrnge4Life
02-19-2011, 11:50 PM
Nets don't feel confident after the meeting.

Knicks won't feel as much pressure and decrease the offer.

That's why you strike when the iron is hot. You can't let news like that get out or you'll lose leverage.. Just take the NY offer and run with it.

Broncoholic3233
02-19-2011, 11:57 PM
That's why you strike when the iron is hot. You can't let news like that get out or you'll lose leverage.. Just take the NY offer and run with it.

Too late for that.

I heard on CBS4 Sports tonight that the Nets already came out and said they didn't feel confident after a 40 minute meeting that took place.

So, I am not too optimistic, hopefully I am wrong.

Ugh, I hate this whole situation. :ugh:

BluenOrnge4Life
02-20-2011, 12:12 AM
Too late for that.

I heard on CBS4 Sports tonight that the Nets already came out and said they didn't feel confident after a 40 minute meeting that took place.

So, I am not too optimistic, hopefully I am wrong.

Ugh, I hate this whole situation. :ugh:

The Nuggets front office is playing a dangerous game of chicken right now. Either we are going to be very happy with what we get back for Melo, or we are going to want to storm Kroenkes house with pitch forks.

I still think it all comes down to Melo wanting to get paid tho, so he will want the money and NY will have to make a deal for him. I think he wants to move but he doesn't want to wait till free agency to do so because that will cost him millions & millions of $.

The Experience
02-20-2011, 11:24 AM
New life for Denver!

Isiah is calling the shots for NY!!!!!!
http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/nba/153531/report-isiah-thomas-calling-shots-for-knicks